• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Only some humans can see refresh rates faster than others, I am one of those humans.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
Did you read my post? What did i write? About TV-Systems? It's true since the Pal, Secam and NTSC came up. I'm able to explain why it is that way and how the underlying technics (cathod ray tube = crt) works. At least in german.
The discussion here is mostly centered around modern display tech, not outdated TV standards. I am perfectly aware of the topic you mentioned, but your previous post was talking about something that has no bearing on the discussion. The user you answered to was clearly talking about TV as a display device, not in context of broadcast standards that are pretty much irrelevant in modern times.

For example, IQ testing (which is relative, not absolute BTW, it's based off the average, which is 100, this changes depending on region or year), current research suggests that most people with IQs below 90 cannot understand a conditional hypothesis - "how would you feel if you didn't eat lunch" "what do you mean, I did eat lunch" etc. Also tied in with recursion, or mapping.
Hot take - IQ tests are mostly bullshit.

System Name Fractal
Processor Intel Core i5 13600K
Motherboard Asus ProArt Z790 Creator WiFi
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory 16GBx2 G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 DDR5 6000 CL30-40-40-96 (F5-6000J3040F16GX2-RS5K)
Video Card(s) PNY RTX A2000 6GB
Storage SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GK950F-B (34"/IPS/1440p/21:9/144Hz/FreeSync)
Case Fractal Design R6 Gunmetal Blackout w/ USB-C
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless/Klipsch Pro-Media 2.1BT
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 850w 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G700S
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows 11 Pro
I remember going from 60Hz to 144Hz monitor felt like a bigger upgrade than going from an i5 2300/RX 580 to a Ryzen 2600/GTX 1070 in the end. My KD ratio doubled after each upgrade I swear. lolz

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790I Edge WiFi Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 240mm
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case LANCOOL 205M MESH Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 1000W
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
That journal is based on LED flicker, this discussion is more about the point at which people fail to gain any fluidity or perceived framerate improvement.
I think? The OP linked the research paper and the TOMS article that is using the research paper on LED flicker to apparently extrapolate fluidity? That toms article and this thread then are just touching speculation?

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
Hot take - IQ tests are mostly bullshit.
Many online ones you do yourself typically are inaccurate, in one way or another, so it depends on the quality of the test, but IQ is pretty well studied and utilized in modern psychiatry/psychology. What's important to note is the high consistency and reliability of research done using accurate IQ testing. Results are repeatable, and fit in to the developing scientific understanding of how our bodies work, physically and mentally.

1714834848628.png

Anyway, it's a bit off topic. But things like spacial reasoning etc, all have close ties with IQ in general. Cognitive testing is one of the most accurate predictors of real world performance, and we've known this for many years.
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trip.2023.100783

Something that's interesting to me is the link between physical and/or mental health, and cognitive/performance testing. For example, people with good mental health also tend to score better on these tests.

There's also evidence that physical health contributes to better brain function (duh) and therefore how well you score on a cognition/IQ test. Although many of the studies are conducted on older people, as funding is related to alzheimers/other degenerative diseases research.

So some good news is for us gamers, the reasoning, sensory and cognitive tasks of gaming help keep the brain fit!

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Can you rotate an apple in your head test, mental rotation.

Some people don't have an inner monologue either which is incredibly fascinating to me.

Cognitive testing is quite interesting, the basic tests are cool, but so are the more specific ones that most people haven't heard of.

For example, IQ testing (which is relative, not absolute BTW, it's based off the average, which is 100, this changes depending on region or year), current research suggests that most people with IQs below 90 cannot understand a conditional hypothesis - "how would you feel if you didn't eat lunch" "what do you mean, I did eat lunch" etc. Also tied in with recursion, or mapping.

I'm not suggesting that how well people can differentiate between different FPS is related to IQ, in fact I highly doubt it, but there are very interesting and measurable differences between different people when it comes to how we perceive or understand things.

I suspect like many things related to the brain, FPS sensitivity is partially determined by how well you "train" your brain. i.e. people who play a lot of fast paced competitive shooters at a younger age and continue to do so, likely have more acute sensitivity.
Yeah, people are wired very differently. Brain function is very poorly understood still and we're getting there but still a long way off truly understanding it.

"Smart" is a very hard-to-nail-down metric, too. I sail through IQ tests at 130-145 depending on the test but I consider myself slow. As in slow to process stuff, I'll be the last person to get a joke in the room, the last person to arrive at an answer, and always need to use the full time in any exam that involves calculations. I'll get there in the end, with consistently right answers but I'm in awe of people who process stuff at something like 2-3x my speed when it comes to learning by reading.

IQ is largely a measure of spacial/pattern awareness with a good bit of reasoning and a splish of knowledge testing thrown in. I'd make a guess that there's little or weak correlation with the framerate of their vision. If you read around the subject of vision speed, top athletes and race drivers are often cited as having the fastest vision and their average IQ was (in the one study I saw) around 100, which makes sense, since physical fitness isn't a measure of mental fitness and if you get enough IQs samples to count from the population, you should tend toward the average IQ near 100.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Yeah, people are wired very differently. Brain function is very poorly understood still and we're getting there but still a long way off truly understanding it.

"Smart" is a very hard-to-nail-down metric, too. I sail through IQ tests at 130-145 depending on the test but I consider myself slow. As in slow to process stuff, I'll be the last person to get a joke in the room, the last person to arrive at an answer, and always need to use the full time in any exam that involves calculations. I'll get there in the end, with consistently right answers but I'm in awe of people who process stuff at something like 2-3x my speed when it comes to learning by reading.

IQ is largely a measure of spacial/pattern awareness with a good bit of reasoning and a splish of knowledge testing thrown in. I'd make a guess that there's little or weak correlation with the framerate of their vision. If you read around the subject of vision speed, top athletes and race drivers are often cited as having the fastest vision and their average IQ was (in the one study I saw) around 100, which makes sense, since physical fitness isn't a measure of mental fitness and if you get enough IQs samples to count from the population, you should tend toward the average IQ near 100.
Yeah there are different types of "smarts", for sure.

Just like people who are physically inept with certain tasks may excel in others.

I don't think that high physical acuity necessarily always means high mental acuity, but it does seem like there's an association between the two for people who push themselves a little.

What's nice is that the tasks that improve one, often improve the other.

For example social exercise as you age is incredibly important to maintaining brain and body health. Loneliness will lead to premature death etc. So many nonobvious associations.

We then provided an overview of the exercise physiology and further showed that the body’s adaptations to enhance exercise performance also benefit the brain and contribute to improve cognitive performance.

I do find it somewhat funny that people have different "stats" like in video games. And some/many of these you can actually improve with lifestyle and training.

I wonder if this is also true for FPS sensitivity. I'd be inclined to think it is, at least to a point.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I think? The OP linked the research paper and the TOMS article that is using the research paper on LED flicker to apparently extrapolate fluidity? That toms article and this thread then are just touching speculation?
The TOMS (you mean IGN?) article is written as speculation, based on extrapolation of that paper.

But other documentaries I've seen, as well as plenty of empirical, repeatable data prove there is no need to speculate. (eg vision speed testing/temporal resolution testing of USAF top gun trainee selection process, eye-tracking of a rally driver to see how fast he spotted new objects coming into view and how quickly he adjusted steering/throttle to reroute, and Microsoft's research blogs on framerate smoothness and input lag for displays and pen-tablets up to 1000Hz)

Some people can see faster than me, I can definitely see faster than other people. It's measurable, it's easy to test, and some youtubers have even done it (Shroud collab with LTT, I believe that was the video where they blind-tested a couple dozen staff to see who could guess the framerate).

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Some humans can't experience this.
please, I can tell the difference between 143hz and 144hz...I just look at the FPS display on the screen
By the time we are 70 we wont have these kinds of computers anymore is my prediction. I am 46 now :)
and I, for one, welcome our new cyborg overlords

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
please, I can tell the difference between 143hz and 144hz...I just look at the FPS display on the screen

Maybe it's like Superman, we just need to expose ourselves to specific spectrums of light, and we gain improved abilities :D

I do find it a little frustrating that there are so few studies done on enhancing these functions in otherwise healthy people, and if there's still an effect there, or if it's only suited for therapy of those with brain damage/neurodegenerative disorders.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours

Maybe it's like Superman, we just need to expose ourselves to specific spectrums of light, and we gain improved abilities :D

if you ask my wife I've been suffering from selective dementia for years

System Name Naboo (2019)
Processor AMD 3800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Master V1 (X470)
Cooling individual EKWB/Heatkiller loop
Memory 4*8 GB 3600 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 5700XT
Storage SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0x4, 2 TB PCIe 3.0
Display(s) 2*WQHD
Case Lian Li O11 Rog
Audio Device(s) Hifiman, Topping DAC/KHV
Power Supply Seasonic 850W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX2, Logitech MX Ergo Trackball
Keyboard Cherry Stream Wireless, Logitech MX Keys
Software Linux Mint "Vera" Cinnamon
The discussion here is mostly centered around modern display tech, not outdated TV standards. I am perfectly aware of the topic you mentioned, but your previous post was talking about something that
Really? I suggest you to read all of the topic not only what you like to read. I just cite some former posts

... i used 60hz monitors and tvs ...

You know that you are talking about 50 - 60 half pics changes when talking about tv's? That means that one half of the full picture (all even lines) are changed and all (odd) lines stay. At the next turn all odd lines changes and all even ones keep. So you are talking about 25-30 FPS on videos. So already this lines you wrote are nonsense.

…that’s just straight up not true. What you’re talking about is interlacing and it is far from being common nowadays. It’s also not the function of the display necessarily, but content. The native resolution of any reasonably modern display (yes, TVs included) is full progressive.

Did you read my post? What did i write? About TV-Systems? It's true since the Pal, Secam and NTSC came up. I'm able to explain why it is that way and how the underlying technics (cathod ray tube = crt) works. At least in german.

This is a evidence that you either don't reda the posts fully or you don't know what you talk about

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790I Edge WiFi Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 240mm
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case LANCOOL 205M MESH Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 1000W
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
The TOMS (you mean IGN?) article is written as speculation, based on extrapolation of that paper.
I did mean IGN woops

But other documentaries I've seen, as well as plenty of empirical, repeatable data prove there is no need to speculate. (eg vision speed testing/temporal resolution testing of USAF top gun trainee selection process, eye-tracking of a rally driver to see how fast he spotted new objects coming into view and how quickly he adjusted steering/throttle to reroute, and Microsoft's research blogs on framerate smoothness and input lag for displays and pen-tablets up to 1000Hz)
For sure, I was just confused because it was stated that the article being referenced was based on dwell and not actual fluidity which was being discussed so it caused confusion. Thanks for clearing it up. Though I must admit, starting a thread about one thing and discussing an adjacent topic is very confusing.

I wish OP would have just cited the resources availible for actual fluidity.

Thanks for clearing it up!

I still do not understand how this can be. They must be NPC's.
I have heard about this too. It must be so nice to not have to have ideas, imagination or other mostly bad stuff running around your mind all the waking time and worse keeping you awake.

On topic, i can see the difference from 30 to 60 or 60 to 90 but above that it gets less noticeable. I do frame cap most games to 30 on my laptop, so that i get lower temps and noise. 60 for most RTS and RPGs on my PC and 90 for FPS or flight sims. I rarely play multiplayer and when i do is Vermintide 2 type co-op, only there i go to 120-140 frame cap.
But to me the most important tech is Gsync(or other adaptive sync) since tearing is way more noticable than a lower frame rate.

I did get a CRT a few months ago, it runs at 100Hz 1024x768, but i do not see a massive improvment in smoothness compared to my 144Hz VA Gsync monitor.

System Name BURN THEM ALL!!
Processor Intel 11700k
Motherboard MSI Z-590-A PRO
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory Team Group T-Force Dark Z DDR4 3200 MHz PC4-25600 32GB 2x16GB CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 VENTUS 2X OC LHR 8GB GDDR6
Storage samsung 980 ssd 1tb pcie 3.0 nvme m.2 + samsung SSD 870 EVO 1tb
Display(s) Alienware 25 (AW2521H) Gsync IPS 360hz
Case NZXT H510 Tempered glass USB 3.1 Black
Power Supply Corsair RM750 750W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular
Mouse Logitech G203 Prodigy Ratón Gaming 8000DPI
VR HMD Oculus Rift 2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Over nine thousand!!
CRT monitors always felt smoother to me at 75hz, by a lot compared to modern LCD's at 60hz. Then in 2012/2013 I imported my first ever Korean monitor that overclocked to 100hz, that is the day gaming changed forever for me. Fast forward to now and I regularly game at 165hz 1440p or 1080p, and I very much prefer even my card games like Magic the Gathering Arena to run at 165 fps 165hz, single player games like Witcher 3 just feel more immersive, etc.

Some humans can't experience this. We didn't really know this until recently, but a study was done. So, I guess this is why some people just don't understand the immersion factor. I can distinguish between 75hz and 90hz, I can tell between 144hz and 180hz, and 240hz almost looks too "soap opera" like for me, so I actually prefer like around 165hz to 180hz range. I wonder if this also is different among those who can experience high refresh rates? Very interesting to think about. I don't think I'd want to own a 540hz monitor for example, but some competitive gamers swear by it. Immersion and competition are different though, so its something we would need to look in to, I suppose.

I cap out at around 180hz to 200hz fidelity - some professional gamers can do 540hz though, but it looks bad to me... so lot more for us to learn over time.

Good try, it's been proven that human eye can only see up to 29,9 fps, close 30 fps.
I work as a PC computer seller at Walmart, I think I know 1 or 2 things more than you about this.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
This is a evidence that you either don't reda the posts fully or you don't know what you talk about
Oh, I did read the posts and I most assuredly know what I am talking about. I feel like the problem is on your end with inferring the actual meaning of the discussion, especially considering you admitted that you don’t have a great grasp of English. Bringing up interlacing in a discussion about perceived motion clarity kinda speaks for itself here.
But I have no desire to bicker with you over misunderstandings, so you can rest easy and take a W or whatever you wish.

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i5-12600KF 'stock power limits/-115mV undervolt+contact frame'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
So some good news is for us gamers, the reasoning, sensory and cognitive tasks of gaming help keep the brain fit!
Yeah a good few years ago when I was at my local doctor for a generic checkup she accidentally pushed a pencil off her table while I was sitting next to it and I've grabbed it mid air and shes like, well at least your reflexes are good. 'I was quite out of shape/unhealthy at the time tho:oops:'

What name did you use in UT2K4? :)
I was running a variation of Don/Mr-Gatto in most of my school years online gaming, mainly played on servers from my country tho with a friend or two.
What I meant by semi competitive is that I was actively trying to get better at the game and practiced it for hours every day after school and that was the last time I've cared about being good at a fps/online shooter. I don't even play such games anymore or if I do its only vs bots.:laugh: 'yep I'm a filthy casual nowadays, mainly playing single player games'

Wow, that's slow!
Count yourself lucky - you can afford to turn up the eye candy and resolution without having to spend silly money on high-refresh displays and overpriced GPUs to feed them :)

Yep thats probably the best part of that, I've put around 80 hours into Cyberpunk with the settings cranked up even tho I've averaged around 50+ fps at most and it wasn't bothering me at all.:)
Also put like 800+ hours into Borderlands 3 with fps being all over the place cause my RX 570 wasn't exactly up to the task to deal with the end game madness/builds cause thats a lot heavier to run. 'wasn't really bothered, still had a blast'
I've also had to enable the original 30 fps locked mode in Mafia 3 when I was playing that game cause it was very unstable on my at the time system if I've disabled it. That took me a few hours to get used to and finished the game like that.

Btw when I've made the switch from my CRT to my 1680x1050 res TN panel 60 Hz monitor in 2008 it was a very smooth transition for me, wasn't really bothered by the change and actually loved the extra display space.

O ye my father bought a new phone not long ago 'I've picked it for him' and it has a 60 and 90 Hz display mode and when I've showed him he was like what I'm supposed to see now?
Asked him if he wants to keep the 90Hz mode while I also told him that it does drain the battery more and he told me to disable it right away cause he can't see any difference nor cares. 'tbh I would do the same:oops:'

Last edited:
System Name Purple Haze | Vacuum Box
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D (-30 CO) | Intel® Xeon® E3-1241 v3
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
Cooling Dark Rock 4 Pro, P14, P12, T30 case fans | 212 Evo & P12 PWM PST x2, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans
Memory 32GB Ballistix (Micron E 19nm) CL16 @3733MHz | 32GB HyperX Beast 2400MHz (XMP)
Video Card(s) AMD 6900XTXH ASRock OC Formula & Phanteks T30x3 | AMD 5700XT Sapphire Nitro+ & Arctic P12x2
Storage ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB, Toshiba P300 3TB x2 | Kingston A400 120GB, Fanxiang S500 Pro 256GB
Display(s) Mi 2K Gaming Monitor 27", AOC 24G2U
Case Modded MS Industrial Titan II Pro RGB | Heavily Modded Cooler Master Q500L
Audio Device(s) Audient iD14 MKII, Adam Audio T8Vs, Bloody M550, HiFiMan HE400se, Tascam TM-80
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 1000M | Enermax Revolution X't 730W (both with P14 fans)
Mouse Logitech G305, Bloody A91, Amazon basics, Logitech M187
Keyboard Redragon K530, Bloody B930, Epomaker TH80 SE, BTC 9110
Software W10 LTSC 21H2
Yeah it's a brain thing not an eye thing.
Exactly, that's why reading usual mantra "human eye can't perceive more than..." is kinda tiresome to begin with. Eyes can't see sh*t, they're just beautifully packed clusters of state-of-the-art optical sensors.
Some people don't have an inner monologue either which is incredibly fascinating to me.
Same, but that could explain why some of us just can't survive alone - not being surrounded by bunch of people at all times. In contrast to introverts like myself.
I have a theory that there are different mind presets we're born equipped with, that are immune from education and other external influences like tradition, with master and slave being the major groups with a lot varieties within each of those. Some might find offended with my words, but mind you, I'm not a native Eng. speaker, and I do my best to explain this. It's an interesting topic nonetheless.

System Name Naboo (2019)
Processor AMD 3800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Master V1 (X470)
Cooling individual EKWB/Heatkiller loop
Memory 4*8 GB 3600 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 5700XT
Storage SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0x4, 2 TB PCIe 3.0
Display(s) 2*WQHD
Case Lian Li O11 Rog
Audio Device(s) Hifiman, Topping DAC/KHV
Power Supply Seasonic 850W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX2, Logitech MX Ergo Trackball
Keyboard Cherry Stream Wireless, Logitech MX Keys
Software Linux Mint "Vera" Cinnamon
Oh, I did read the posts and I most assuredly know what I am talking about. I feel like the problem is on your end with inferring the actual meaning of the discussion, especially considering you admitted that you don’t have a great grasp of English. Bringing up interlacing in a discussion about perceived motion clarity kinda speaks for itself here.
But I have no desire to bicker with you over misunderstandings, so you can rest easy and take a W or whatever you wish.
If you read it is only selective. I'm not willing to waste more of my time to show it to you all the time. Enjoy your stay at my ignore list.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-76
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv +150 core
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W

I do find it a little frustrating that there are so few studies done on enhancing these functions in otherwise healthy people, and if there's still an effect there, or if it's only suited for therapy of those with brain damage/neurodegenerative disorders.

this is absolutely fascinating to me, thanks for posting this, and yes this is what I was hoping would come out of this thread. creative thinking!

Exactly, that's why reading usual mantra "human eye can't perceive more than..." is kinda tiresome to begin with. Eyes can't see sh*t, they're just beautifully packed clusters of state-of-the-art optical sensors.

no you are wrong on this one. see the very rare biological females who are Tetrachromacy vision, - it has to do with their rods and cones being much much different. and the world is so beautiful to them, they can see like 100 million more shades of colors than us.

it's about the comprehensive whole though, if we can agree on that at least.

username checks out :roll::lovetpu:

Also I'd be willing to bet younger people can detect more fps than older people say like teenager vs 60+, but same cane be said for hearing, etc. Just the nature of things.

I also agree with this assumption, people like W1zz and some other members here who I "think" are older all seem to be leaning that way towards the 60hz can't tell a difference crowd.

We have so much to learn because it's so varied. I find it fascinating.

Processor intel 12700k
Motherboard asus
Cooling noctua d15s
Memory 64gb
Video Card(s) 4090
Storage 4tb m.2
Display(s) 27" 1440p 240hz oled
Case fractal define s
Audio Device(s) minidsp shd studio and hifi speakers
Software windows 11
i think most people can see or feel it if they play on pc with a mouse.
many start out with 60hz monitor, then they try high and higher hz and they notice how it is better.
many can not imagine anything better than what they got, blissfully ignorant.
i went from to 60, then 144 and now 240hz, all much better each time.
and research tells us that only at 1000hz we reach the limit.

ir_cow

Staff member
For CRT, Above 75Hz I can't tell. OLED (or whatever supports 500Hz), It is somewhere between 500 and 380 that I lose it. Watching the Alien screen test, 500 and 380 look the same, but 380 is ever so slightly clearer than 240Hz.

These new "fake" high frame-rate monitors that do blank frame inserts give me a massive headache.

System Name Purple Haze | Vacuum Box
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D (-30 CO) | Intel® Xeon® E3-1241 v3
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
Cooling Dark Rock 4 Pro, P14, P12, T30 case fans | 212 Evo & P12 PWM PST x2, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans
Memory 32GB Ballistix (Micron E 19nm) CL16 @3733MHz | 32GB HyperX Beast 2400MHz (XMP)
Video Card(s) AMD 6900XTXH ASRock OC Formula & Phanteks T30x3 | AMD 5700XT Sapphire Nitro+ & Arctic P12x2
Storage ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB, Toshiba P300 3TB x2 | Kingston A400 120GB, Fanxiang S500 Pro 256GB
Display(s) Mi 2K Gaming Monitor 27", AOC 24G2U
Case Modded MS Industrial Titan II Pro RGB | Heavily Modded Cooler Master Q500L
Audio Device(s) Audient iD14 MKII, Adam Audio T8Vs, Bloody M550, HiFiMan HE400se, Tascam TM-80
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 1000M | Enermax Revolution X't 730W (both with P14 fans)
Mouse Logitech G305, Bloody A91, Amazon basics, Logitech M187
Keyboard Redragon K530, Bloody B930, Epomaker TH80 SE, BTC 9110
Software W10 LTSC 21H2
no you are wrong on this one. see the very rare biological females who are Tetrachromacy vision, - it has to do with their rods and cones being much much different. and the world is so beautiful to them, they can see like 100 million more shades of colors than us.

it's about the comprehensive whole though, if we can agree on that at least.
I can partially agree on this. Having more input information provides the possibility for creating a better picture, but it's still on the brain to make something out of it. This could also explain different reactions (or absence of any) to art, nature and all that's around us (or that we perceive is around us, but let's not go there haha).

Also, that transcranial near-infrared (tNIR) light study just shows how little we know about light radiation, and how vulnerable we are, being exposed to all sorts of rays from environment, equipment etc.

System Name ❶ Oooh (2024) ❷ Aaaah (2021) ❸ Ahemm (2017)
Processor ❶ 5800X3D ❷ i7-9700K ❸ i7-7700K
Motherboard ❶ X570-F ❷ Z390-E ❸ Z270-E
Cooling ❶ ALFIII 360 ❷ X62 + X72 (GPU mod) ❸ X62
Memory ❶ 32-3600/16 ❷ 32-3200/16 ❸ 16-3200/16
Video Card(s) ❶ 3080 X Trio ❷ 2080TI (AIOmod) ❸ 1080TI
Storage ❶ NVME/SSD/HDD ❷ <SAME ❸ SSD/HDD
Display(s) ❶ 1440/165/IPS ❷ 1440/144/IPS ❸ 1080/144/IPS
Case ❶ BQ Silent 601 ❷ Cors 465X ❸ Frac Mesh C
Audio Device(s) ❶ HyperX C2 ❷ HyperX C2 ❸ Logi G432
Power Supply ❶ HX1200 Plat ❷ RM750X ❸ EVGA 650W G2
Mouse ❶ Logi G Pro ❷ Razer Bas V3 ❸ Logi G502
Keyboard ❶ Logi G915 TKL ❷ Anne P2 ❸ Logi G610
Benchmark Scores I have wrestled bandwidths, Tussled with voltages, Handcuffed Overclocks, Thrown Gigahertz in Jail
For me, the 60 vs 144/165-OC (1440p) comparison is a night and day difference. I'm a fast paced competitive (not pro) shooter and the increased refresh rate definitely makes a difference in visual fluidity/awareness esp. in fast paced action. Even absent of fast paced action, i've got ants in me pants in those large MP maps... running around, twisting and turning, zig zag run ups, essentially moving around non-stop to avoid getting hit. This is where the image fluidity makes a big difference in spotting enemies or in the least spotting them fast enough to make them a target. I'm also pretty convinced it does gain me some K/D advantage but i have to admit i haven't really tested these refresh rates with a side-by-side comparison at any one given time. I went from 1080p 60, then 75, then 144 and then jumped ship to 1440p 144 (165-OC) and never looked back again.

In some titles i can't tell the difference as much between 120/165. At the moment anything above 120 gives me all the butter smooth experience i'm looking for.

I have played on a 240hz display several times but don't own one. Not sure if it really made a difference. I guess this is something where a side-by-side comparison will help to determine whether its a useful investment (for me). For the time being i'm playing some of the more demanding titles with preferences locking in the eye candy at higher quality settings, hence a 240hz screener @ 1440p is a little out of whack for my RTX 3080 (presumably 40-series too).

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-76
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv +150 core
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
I do agree with everything being said here, and I also agree with Turmeric that most people probably can experience high refresh rate, see/it feels it, to varying degree. Another thing I thought of while contemplating this was some people read books, they can't form images in their mind, while others can create entire worlds when they read a book and get lost on it and really be transported to that world through vivid imagination in the mindseye. Those are all varying degrees too, with the far end of the spectrum being people that can't form images in their head at all when they read.

I wonder if this has something to do with it, would be interesting to try and see if there is any relation to this and high refresh rates, I imagine it is similar area of the brain that deals with this stuff.

System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
Btw when I've made the switch from my CRT to my 1680x1050 res TN panel 60 Hz monitor in 2008 it was a very smooth transition for me, wasn't really bothered by the change and actually loved the extra display space.
In 2008, I was so limited for what LCD monitors I could get. And it was so easy to find used CRT monitors! That made me hesitant right there! So CRTs ruled my room, and I still was using 2 CRTs in 2015 and 2016.