• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2022-X58/1366 PIN Motherboards NVME M.2 SSD BIOS MOD Collection

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel I7 965
Motherboard P6x58d premium
Cooling Venom
Memory Kingstone
Video Card(s) Rx 470
Storage OCZ Vertex raid 0
Display(s) Samsung
Case Cooler Master
Software Dual Boot W7&W10
you might want to test inserting the nvme on the third nvme slot since this slot might behave differently compared to slot one and 2. Because it's controlled by(shared) the southbridge, Like the sata drives.
No big results with inserting nvme on the third PCIe 2.0 x16 (gray at max x8 link) . The nvme did not show on disk list in bios boot menu when sata is set as Raid .
And performance decrease from 1500 MB/s to 650 MB/s .

Attachments

• PCIe slot P6X58D Premium.JPG
    PCIe slot P6X58D Premium.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 22
System Name Name ?! How about BADASS GAMING RIG!!
Processor X5675 4.2Ghz
Motherboard P6X58D-Premium
Cooling NZXT Kraken X
Memory Crucial BLT 12GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 Extreme Gaming
Storage Samsung 840 pro 240GB and 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) Aorus FI27Q
Case Cooler Master MC600P Tempered Glass
Power Supply Be Quiet Pure Power 10 650W Gold
Mouse Aoroza Pro Gaming Mouse Type G
Keyboard Cobra II
Benchmark Scores Can run FF REMAKE
No big results with inserting nvme on the third PCIe 2.0 x16 (gray at max x8 link) . The nvme did not show on disk list in bios boot menu when sata is set as Raid .
And performance decrease from 1500 MB/s to 650 MB/s .
That's interesting to know. but do you have an nvme adapter that has a raid controller onboard? They do exist for sata drives, I'm not sure if they do for nvme drives. it would not matter though since pcie 2.0 is already maxed out when using 1 Nvme. Why use raid in the first place ? it makes no sense. Overclocking pcie might actually do more.

Last edited:
System Name UnDead7
Processor Xeon X5675 @4Ghz Summer 6C / Winter 6C/12T
Motherboard GA-X58A-UD7
Cooling Noctua NHU12
Memory 6x4GB Kingston KHX1600C10D3/4G @800Mhz CL10
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Samsung NVMe 980 Pro 2TB + 980 1TB
Case P193 Antec
Power Supply Corsair TX750
That's interesting to know. but do you have an nvme adapter that has a raid controller onboard? They do exist for sata drives, I'm not sure if they do for nvme drives. it would not matter though since pcie 2.0 is already maxed out when using 1 Nvme. Why use raid in the first place ? it makes no sense. Overclocking pcie might actually do more.

couple remarks

there s controllers with 2 nvme ports and raid controller, but it s not the issue here, reference is 15 pages ago, red card, amazon, 150ish eur/usd

using the integrated raid from the bios for sata is in my opinion a mistake today, better do a softraid under windows, even though, raid includes ahci so everything is "fine" compared to the ahci mode, it activates the intel rom (usually) and adds more stuff to manage which, is complicated. reading Fernando's expert discussions about it brings you to choose carefully more or less outdated intel's drivers depending on firmware versions and it can be quite an adventure to set things right. my soft raid here works just fine.

that s in case it s the intel raid. it could be one of the custom raids from the motherboard's manufacturer, and there, well, wow, not a good idea, not 15 years later, with no driver and/or bad support from windows 10.

finally, never push PCIe over 100mhz, that s a real advice, it s never been a good idea, dont suggest that to people.

@catup : dont mix two things at the same time, do things one per one. test the grey slot in ahci mode first, check if nvme is detected, and what is the speed. then activate the raid, if you lose the drive at that moment, you know what triggered it. then try in the original slot with and without raid. then you ll know precisely what makes the drive disappear.

due to experience here, i would say that things works best with all the "useless" controllers disabled, sata 3, custom raid, disabled. just leave the sata 2 on and then "try" things one per one, knowing that raid usually renames its attached disks to "scsi" instead of "disk", and that the nvme mod uses this "scsi" status, and they dont play well together.

also refer to the schematic in your motherboard user manual explaining which PCIe slot goes through where and shares what with who. you ll surely understand why you lose half the speed on some slots and not some others.

finally, the pci express slots sharing, when you use some together, speed can be cut in half, things can get tricky, especially with a double space video card that you cant put where you want.

i had to move my nvidia down on slot 16 #2 so it covers an old pci slot that i dont use. nvme 2 is on slot 16 #3, nvme 1 is on slot 16 #1 and 10Gbit Lan card is on a slot 8x, the short ones

everything is populated and i would like to put a real soundcard in place of nvme1 so i ll probably buy one of those 2 slots adapter soon or later.

in that configuration where all pciexpress slots are populated, my nvidia is down to x8 instead of x16. didnt see any difference in terms of performance.

edit :

i have 2x 2TB sata drives, 2x 3TB sata drives as soft raid, 1x DVD writer, 1x SSD Sata, activated the E-Sata controller with no problem and i can add 2 more ssd sata powered through cables out of the machine, and the 2 nvme. that s a total of 10 drives working at the same moment, all in sata 2 at 250MB max for the non nvme, and 1600MB/s for the 2 nvme drives. Didnt try to push both nvme at the same time though, as i have no scenario where that would be happening. i could try to launch to crystalmark at the same time, though.

edit 2 : well it works 1800x2

1713772999081.png

Last edited:
System Name Desktop
Processor Intel I7 965
Cooling Venom
Memory Kingstone
Video Card(s) Rx 470
Display(s) Samsung
Case Cooler Master
Ok. No I was referring about raid for sata drive the one which is native on sata motherboard configuration .
I have dual boot Win 7 and Win 10 before install nvme drive but on two ocz ssd configured in raid 0 (with on board Intel ICH10R and Intel Matrix storage technology ).
I am struggle a week to clone my dual boot config from the two ocz ssd raid 0 to Samsung nvme 980 pro .
I finally succeed now I running cloned dual boot on Nvme.
But I am not very happy with performance especially in Win 7 .
In Win 10 it is improved a lot .

couple remarks

there s controllers with 2 nvme ports and raid controller, but it s not the issue here, reference is 15 pages ago, red card, amazon, 150ish eur/usd

using the integrated raid from the bios for sata is in my opinion a mistake today, better do a softraid under windows, even though, raid includes ahci so everything is "fine" compared to the ahci mode, it activates the intel rom (usually) and adds more stuff to manage which, is complicated. reading Fernando's expert discussions about it brings you to choose carefully more or less outdated intel's drivers depending on firmware versions and it can be quite an adventure to set things right. my soft raid here works just fine.

that s in case it s the intel raid. it could be one of the custom raids from the motherboard's manufacturer, and there, well, wow, not a good idea, not 15 years later, with no driver and/or bad support from windows 10.

finally, never push PCIe over 100mhz, that s a real advice, it s never been a good idea, dont suggest that to people.

@catup : dont mix two things at the same time, do things one per one. test the grey slot in ahci mode first, check if nvme is detected, and what is the speed. then activate the raid, if you lose the drive at that moment, you know what triggered it. then try in the original slot with and without raid. then you ll know precisely what makes the drive disappear.

due to experience here, i would say that things works best with all the "useless" controllers disabled, sata 3, custom raid, disabled. just leave the sata 2 on and then "try" things one per one, knowing that raid usually renames its attached disks to "scsi" instead of "disk", and that the nvme mod uses this "scsi" status, and they dont play well together.

also refer to the schematic in your motherboard user manual explaining which PCIe slot goes through where and shares what with who. you ll surely understand why you lose half the speed on some slots and not some others.

finally, the pci express slots sharing, when you use some together, speed can be cut in half, things can get tricky, especially with a double space video card that you cant put where you want.

i had to move my nvidia down on slot 16 #2 so it covers an old pci slot that i dont use. nvme 2 is on slot 16 #3, nvme 1 is on slot 16 #1 and 10Gbit Lan card is on a slot 8x, the short ones

everything is populated and i would like to put a real soundcard in place of nvme1 so i ll probably buy one of those 2 slots adapter soon or later.

in that configuration where all pciexpress slots are populated, my nvidia is down to x8 instead of x16. didnt see any difference in terms of performance.

edit :

i have 2x 2TB sata drives, 2x 3TB sata drives as soft raid, 1x DVD writer, 1x SSD Sata, activated the E-Sata controller with no problem and i can add 2 more ssd sata powered through cables out of the machine, and the 2 nvme. that s a total of 10 drives working at the same moment, all in sata 2 at 250MB max for the non nvme, and 1600MB/s for the 2 nvme drives. Didnt try to push both nvme at the same time though, as i have no scenario where that would be happening. i could try to launch to crystalmark at the same time, though.

edit 2 : well it works 1800x2

View attachment 344709
Ok thanks for your advice I will study one by one .
I am not so advanced to play with controllers for two nvme and raid for them .
I was speaking about raid on sata and onboard ICH10R controller .
My target was to migrate (clone) dual boot raid 0 drive to nvme without loose any data .
I accomplish my target for a moment I will wait some time to see how reliable is .
For sure I will study the softraid I did not knew about it .
And next step will be to add second nvme drive .
But all of this was not possible without the sharing the people knowledge and experience of this community .Thanks for That !!!

System Name UnDead7
Motherboard GA-X58A-UD7
Cooling Noctua NHU12
Case P193 Antec
if you activated the ICH10 raid, then yes, that s the source of your problem. it renames stuff and the bios gets confused. your configuration is almost as weird as mine :)

concerning nvme poor performances on windows 7, doesnt really surprise me, technology gap, a driver must be bad, you ll have to dig deep in the internet to get answers.

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel I7 965
Cooling Venom
Memory Kingstone
Video Card(s) Rx 470
Display(s) Samsung
Case Cooler Master
if you activated the ICH10 raid, then yes, that s the source of your problem. it renames stuff and the bios gets confused. your configuration is almost as weird as mine :)

concerning nvme poor performances on windows 7, doesnt really surprise me, technology gap, a driver must be bad, you ll have to dig deep in the internet to get answers.
It seems that poor performance in Win 7 was related to bad alignment after cloning process.
I restore the image of cloned partition with other settings (of cloning software) and it came better.

System Name UnDead7
Motherboard GA-X58A-UD7
Cooling Noctua NHU12
Case P193 Antec
alignment on nvme ? thought it was a mecanical drive thing.

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel I7 965
Cooling Venom
Memory Kingstone
Video Card(s) Rx 470
Display(s) Samsung
Case Cooler Master