• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Accelerators Rumored to Nudge Out Higher-End Radeon RX 8000 GPUs

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI Pro B650M-A WiFi
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 620S ARGB
Memory Kingston Fury Beast RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) Intel ARC A770 LE
Storage WD Blue SN570 500GB, WD Blue SN570 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 2b 3.5", Seagate 1tb 2.5" HDD
Display(s) Asus TUF VG259QR 1080p 165hz IPS 1ms
Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh v2
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis 5
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold v2 850W Full Modular
Mouse Cooler Master MM731
Keyboard Cooler Master CK530 v2 (TTC Reds)
Software Windows 11
It's almost as if both AMD and Nvidia are literally handing over the keys to Intel and abandoning the consumer gaming GPU market.

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I know I would be beaten for my rubbish layman's opinion, and I definitely shouldn't respond to the rumour thread, but...

AMD is their own worst enemy. They have chosen this path they are now moving. This is not any news. They were always sluggish and leaving the many deeds and areas unfinished, when they obviously could do otherwise. There were better investments, but AMD knew about AI boom beforehand, and they bought Xilinx exactly for this very reason. They could heavily invest in software departments, and have the drivers improvements, no-worse degree than intel did in less than a year. But they didn't. If AMD doesn't want their stuff to be purchased, whose fault is this? And at this pace, one is known for sure, that AMD doesn't care about regular consumers.

Surely there are many talented engineers working at AMD, and making brilliant devices and stuff. But all these achievements are moot, if heads of the AMD defining the future of the products they do.
It doesn't matter if the product is good, if it doesn't have good and developed ecosystem, and support. I don't say AMD products are bad. Quite the reverse, but the support and PR is lacking. They should do more. Thus it requires the investments, and why do that, if the enterprise market has more money, and they don't whine at reddits and forums about driver bugs, or about lack of fake frames.

Cutting production of high end dGPUs is not a very good idea, considering the only reasonable iGPU are yet non-existent. It could be understandable, if AMD flooded the market with APUs and laptop iGPUs of RX6600 level. But this is not the case. And I sincerely doubt it will ever be. There surely will be better iGPUs, but their quantity will be scarce. And even then, there are people requiring a more performant GPUs.

As other people wrote before, AMD is interested only in highest as possible margins. And that's AI. So unless there will be some powerful dedicated ASIC will appear, the GPU allocation will be moved to enterprise, and nobody at consumer level will be able do anything about this.

Eventually all GPUs will allocate to AI and datacenters only, and regular consumers are already being pushed to the subscription, meaning in the end people will get only some weak tablets/laptops/portable PCs to look at the screen, while the nVidia and AMD GPGPUs will generate some fake frames with remote access/streaming.

At the end of the day, the whole Ryzen and Radeon thing is just bigger sandbox and by-products of EPYC and MI, and gives AMD big amount free beta-testers to troubleshoot the enterprise R&D for shorter periods. It may seem be unrelated, but Ryzen is still heavily cut EPYC. The features set is way lesser, but the core architecture is the same. And the gaming Radeon is just crumbs compared to GPGP profits.

Last edited:
According to AMD insiders this is definitely not the reason high-end RDNA4 has been killed off at all. RDNA4 wasn't even going to use TSMC's N3 node, it was being built on N4P.
AMD has not abandoned high-end, you'll just have to wait for RDNA5 late 2025 at the earliest. RDNA4 was having troubles with the complex MCD design, it's far more complex than RDNA3 and even though they could eventually fix the isses, they did not want to spend the resources or time to do so as that would have pushed RDNA5 even later.

Apparently N43 will be far stronger than one would expect and should easily beat say 7700XT in raster and be far stronger in RT.

7900's will just have to carry the fight for an extra 18 months at high end. Also Blackwell is not coming out until sometime in 2025 either. I wouldn't be too upset.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
According to AMD insiders this is definitely not the reason high-end RDNA4 has been killed off at all. RDNA4 wasn't even going to use TSMC's N3 node, it was being built on N4P.
AMD has not abandoned high-end, you'll just have to wait for RDNA5 late 2025 at the earliest. RDNA4 was having troubles with the complex MCD design, it's far more complex than RDNA3 and even though they could eventually fix the isses, they did not want to spend the resources or time to do so as that would have pushed RDNA5 even later.

Apparently N43 will be far stronger than one would expect and should easily beat say 7700XT in raster and be far stronger in RT.

7900's will just have to carry the fight for an extra 18 months at high end. Also Blackwell is not coming out until sometime in 2025 either. I wouldn't be too upset.
Costing what they cost there is plenty amd can still get out of those cards

ARF

I think they will "cancel" Navi 43, as well. Because if they want to decrease the output, they muct look at the lower end parts which do sell in higher volumes.

No one's gonna make them as cheap/good as AMD

But the compromise is the bad performance offered by AMD, and also AMD is not ARM, so this console market can't be merged with the mobile gaming market for smartphones which is larger than the gaming market for PCs.

System Name Gungnir
Processor Ryzen 5 7600X @1.25v
Motherboard ASUS TUF B650M-PLUS WIFI
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assasin 120 SE Black
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 CL36 5600MHz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 6800XT Merc 319 @1.1v @2600MHz clock @2140MHz vram freq. (surprisingly stable)
Storage 1TB WD SN770 | 2TB WD Blue SATA III SSD
Display(s) 1440p 165Hz VA
Case Lian Li Lancool 215
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80Ohm
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless
Keyboard Keychron V6
VR HMD The bane of my existence (Oculus Quest 2)
its not about what they will or wont have, its more of just an interesting scenario, or maybe it wont affect anything and nothing really will happen.

75% of Steam users are on Nvidia, seems the market can live just fine without AMD in it.
The market can't live without AMD in it, last thing we need is a monopoly, Nvidias market share is closer to 85% since most of the intel users are people on integrated graphics.
AMD may not be so great at denting NVIDIA's market share, but having the option to not support nvidia and still get a good product I will say is nice. Intel ARC may be nice and all, but they don't have the class of hardware that people like myself go for, and because AMD has that class of hardware, it still helps to keep nvidia trying to compete, though I don't believe that they are anymore, not seriously anyway.
But the compromise is the bad performance offered by AMD, and also AMD is not ARM, so this console market can't be merged with the mobile gaming market for smartphones which is larger than the gaming market for PCs.
What do you mean bad performance offered by AMD lol, at those prices AMD is better than nvidia, the price that console manufacturers seek. If you think AMD has bad performance then just look at nvidia for a quick second, remove your bias

Last edited:

ARF

What do you mean bad performance offered by AMD lol, at those prices AMD is better than nvidia, the price that console manufacturers seek. If you think AMD has bad performance then just look at nvidia for a quick second, remove your bias

I should have said - garbage performance.
The APU is really slow because it is memory bandwidth starved.

Consoles are not running any games faster than even a modest gaming PC. Only a really low-end budget PC would be running games inferior to a contemporary console.

For the money you buy consoles at you can't put a better gaming machine these days, at least not with everything a console offers.

System Name Gungnir
Video Card(s) XFX RX 6800XT Merc 319 @1.1v @2600MHz clock @2140MHz vram freq. (surprisingly stable)
Case Lian Li Lancool 215
Keyboard Keychron V6

Consoles are not running any games faster than even a modest gaming PC. Only a really low-end budget PC would be running games inferior to a contemporary console.
I do agree that a consoles performance is not comparable to that of a PC, and that the APU form factor does not help it to be any faster, but that is not AMD's fault, that is just what the console makers ordered, they wanted cheap first and foremost. I wouldn't blame AMD just like I wouldn't blame Nvidia for the switch.

With the Switch there's probably quite a few phones that offer much better performance at lower price levels.

ARF

I do agree that a consoles performance is not comparable to that of a PC, and that the APU form factor does not help it to be any faster, but that is not AMD's fault, that is just what the console makers ordered, they wanted cheap first and foremost. I wouldn't blame AMD just like I wouldn't blame Nvidia for the switch.

I have just looked at the specs. I think it is comparable performance wise with Radeon RX 6600.
Console:
AMD Radeon RDNA 2-based graphics engine
10.28 Teraflops
36 CUs @ 2.23GHz

Radeon RX 6600:
8.92 Teraflops
28 CUs @2.04GHz~2.49GHz

System Name Gungnir
Case Lian Li Lancool 215
Keyboard Keychron V6
I have just looked at the specs. I think it is comparable performance wise with Radeon RX 6600.
Console:
10.28 Teraflops
36 CUs @ 2.23GHz

Radeon RX 6600:
8.92 Teraflops
28 CUs @2.04GHz~2.49GHz
It is not, it's closer to the rx 6700, the gpu with 36CUs, 11.29TFLOPs. I think we can both agree that the most comparable GPU is the one with the same number of compute units of the same architecture, and is also closer in TFLOPs, I also have no idea what you are trying to prove here

System Name Main
Processor 5900X
Motherboard Asrock 570X Taichi
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) 6800XT
Display(s) Odyssey C49G95T - 5120 x 1440
What's the point of that link?
1694681609833.png

ah yes, very valid answer..... very good insight. I am now wholly convinced that a mid/low end PC is above consoles

1694681667618.png

66/6700 is mid, it's not low end. low end is still spin-disk. under 3060Ti above the other 3060s
1694681903959.png

I can say with total conviction that more than 50% of gamers have specs equal to or lower than the consoles. I also have the same conviction that the devs (most of them) are doing a poor job of optimization, before the consoles performed 150% of their specs, the devs did hell to get every drop of the consoles' potential.

I mean, You know the target hardware and don't program the game to run within the expected performance, it can only be your fault. The same goes for devs who put intensive RT to see the 4080 running at 30-40fps.

Last edited:
I think they will "cancel" Navi 43, as well. Because if they want to decrease the output, they muct look at the lower end parts which do sell in higher volumes.
N43 is a monolithic design and is on target for mid(ish) 2024 release. They are not having any issues with the design, so have the resources to finish the project.
If they can make a card at the price point of an 8600 with the performance of a 7700XT or better it could sell very well IMO.

N43 is a monolithic design and is on target for mid(ish) 2024 release. They are not having any issues with the design, so have the resources to finish the project.
If they can make a card at the price point of an 8600 with the performance of a 7700XT or better it could sell very well IMO.
These low-end chips could end up falling into Samsung's hands now that they have optimized their 4nm process.

The change would be good for pricing flexibility, as it is the most sensitive segment. Samsung also has 24Gbps memories. in short, there are many pieces on the board to move...

These low-end chips could end up falling into Samsung's hands now that they have optimized their 4nm process.

The change would be good for pricing flexibility, as it is the most sensitive segment. Samsung also has 24Gbps memories. in short, there are many pieces on the board to move...
Also, AMD could keep the 8600 die size around the 200mm^2 mark but being 4nm node vs 7600 6nm node, they could make it way more powerful in a similarly small package (more CU's and greatly improved RT engine), especially paired with either GDDR6W or GDDR7.

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Get your RX 7000 and RTX 4000 cards while they're hot, boyz! The next generation might be powering Skynet instead of your gaming PCs. :laugh:

ARF

Get your RX 7000 and RTX 4000 cards while they're hot, boyz! The next generation might be powering Skynet instead of your gaming PCs. :laugh:

It isn't funny...
So, now what? 3nm GPUs in 2026?

The "never released" Navi 41 has over 12,800 shaders! o_O

9 shader engines, over 200 compute units, up to 20 chiplets in total (3 active interposer dies, and many multimedia | I/O dies). Crazy interesting.

Speculation says double the performance of RX 7900 XTX.

Unfortunately, RDNA 5 will be released in 2026. Until then... slow Radeons only.