• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon Pro v540 Research Thread

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard X570 Taichi
Memory 2x32 S8B DDR4 @ 1900MHz
Video Card(s) RX5700XT
Storage Intel Optane P1600X
Power Supply HX850i 850W
Mind putting a link to the listing? My ebay search isn't turning up anything

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
Mind putting a link to the listing? My ebay search isn't turning up anything
I'm having difficulty too.
'Only finding BC-160s/V520s,
and lots of V340s (which, are basically a Vega 56 16GB Duo, not Navi)

Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Why the hype for the V540's for me mine is useless so I am still waiting for Windows functionality...
HBM and Navi
it's also not-CDNA, before there was CDNA.
For some, the prospect of extended ROCm support (vs. Vega 10/20) may be attractive.

It looked like there have been at least 2 people succeeding but,
this is not a 'plug-mod-play' situation like the MI25s (and assumingly, the V320s and V340s which are Vega 56-spec)

The (growingly available) BC-160/V520s appear to lack a video-out but, another card can act as video output.
So, there might still be hope in getting those Navi-HBM cards 'windows-ready', once they come down more in price.
Developments on the BC-160s/v520s may even 'help' getting the V540s usable.
I say this, as similar occured across Fury and Vega 'instinct' and 'AMD PRO' cards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jun
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard X570 Taichi
Video Card(s) RX5700XT
Power Supply HX850i 850W
Why the hype for the V540's for me mine is useless so I am still waiting for Windows functionality...
Not everyone wants to run their v540 on Windows :p

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Impact
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 2x16GB DDR4-3600 C17 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB -> OC'd to 3800 15-17-15
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 50th Anniversary Edition
Storage 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB WD SN770
Display(s) Asus VG279QM, Samsung LS32AG32x
Case Silverstone FTZ01e
Audio Device(s) Schiit Jotunheim w/ Multibit DAC -> Audeze LCD-2
Power Supply Fractal Design
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard Some random RGB thing with MX Reds
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
i'm wondering if this research thread is basically done at the moment or if there is still interest
Basically done unless someone wants to do anything else. It's mostly a matter of the card being hard to run (and cool) plus the difficulty of getting anywhere within reason.
I haven't even been able to try anything in this thread due to work being so demanding as of late on my end, and I'm the OP.

Keyboard Red Dragon K552
I've yet to see anyone try the RdN.ID drivers (properly).
Sadly, when I could afford it, these cards already had *poofed*.

Guess I'll post a wanted thread and tag this thread's participants.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Honestly these cards would be great for F@H or BOINC projects if someone can get the vbios to fully work on Windows or Linux.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard X570 Taichi
Video Card(s) RX5700XT
Power Supply HX850i 850W
I have a half-built vbios and incomplete spreadsheet of offsets, but I was never able to get the card and rn my time is being consumed by doing TEC stuff on ryzen. If I ever get my hands on the card, I'll try to get that new vbios working.

I designed a cooler that attaches to these cards. It uses a readily available blower fan and the mount points for the support bracket. I’m at work right now but I’ll get some images and the files together later. If someone wants one and does not have a 3D printer to make it I will send them out free of charge if it helps further the research on these cards.

And the cooler actually works very well on these hot cards. You can keep the temps in check without full fan speed.

UPDATE:

As promised here is the cooling solution I created for these cards. The bracket can easily be 3D printed in basically any material without struggle. The fan this was designed for is linked below. This fan was selected for flowrate/static pressure/volume. I was directly powering the fan with a bench PSU so I could adjust the speed easily while testing. It could likely be adapted to a mobo header (though current may be an issue?) or hardwired to the PC PSU. The STL file for the bracket is attached to this post!

The fan just snaps into place without any hardware making an easy install to the bracket. The bracket mounts to the GPU using the same screws that use to hold the GPU support in place so no new hardware needed.

Offer still stands for anyone with a plan for researching how to get these cards to work that I will print and ship brackets for you! Best of luck everyone. My bench setup has not given me any luck getting this card recognized.

Fan used: https://www.digikey.com/en/products...192091?s=N4IgTCBcDaIJwCECyCCMYDiYAMqAEIAugL5A

fan_assy_1.png
fan_assy_2.png
fan_assy_3.png
image_50423297.JPG

Attachments

• fan_mount.zip
    137.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I designed a cooler that attaches to these cards. It uses a readily available blower fan and the mount points for the support bracket. I’m at work right now but I’ll get some images and the files together later. If someone wants one and does not have a 3D printer to make it I will send them out free of charge if it helps further the research on these cards.

And the cooler actually works very well on these hot cards. You can keep the temps in check without full fan speed.

UPDATE:

As promised here is the cooling solution I created for these cards. The bracket can easily be 3D printed in basically any material without struggle. The fan this was designed for is linked below. This fan was selected for flowrate/static pressure/volume. I was directly powering the fan with a bench PSU so I could adjust the speed easily while testing. It could likely be adapted to a mobo header (though current may be an issue?) or hardwired to the PC PSU. The STL file for the bracket is attached to this post!

The fan just snaps into place without any hardware making an easy install to the bracket. The bracket mounts to the GPU using the same screws that use to hold the GPU support in place so no new hardware needed.

Offer still stands for anyone with a plan for researching how to get these cards work that I will print and ship brackets for you! Best of luck everyone. My bench setup has not given me any luck getting this card recognized.

Fan used: https://www.digikey.com/en/products...192091?s=N4IgTCBcDaIJwCECyCCMYDiYAMqAEIAugL5A

View attachment 323388View attachment 323389View attachment 323390View attachment 323392

Hell yeah dude, now this is some good stuff.

I've yet to see anyone try the RdN.ID drivers (properly).
Sadly, when I could afford it, these cards already had *poofed*.

Guess I'll post a wanted thread and tag this thread's participants.
I don't think the cards poofed as much as someone saw an opportunity to scalp... If you are still on the hunt and want to play with some funky hardware you can find them for sale here:
Link: https://directmacro.com/amd-102-d30201-00.html

EDIT TO MAKE THIS CLEAR: THESE CARDS ARE STILL AVAILABLE TO THOSE LOOKING TO EXPERIMENT AT THE LINK ABOVE!!! Don't be discouraged by the dead eBay listing!

I don't think the cards poofed as much as someone saw an opportunity to scalp... If you are still on the hunt and want to play with some funky hardware you can find them for sale here:
Link: https://directmacro.com/amd-102-d30201-00.html

EDIT TO MAKE THIS CLEAR: THESE CARDS ARE STILL AVAILABLE TO THOSE LOOKING TO EXPERIMENT AT THE LINK ABOVE!!! Don't be discouraged by the dead eBay listing!
Personally sites like the one you linked worry me more. Mainly because it looks SEO'd to hell and previously I've seen sites like this just being a man in the middle for buying from the aformentioned ebay listings.
Not saying it isn't legit I just dont personally trust it. I know I'm not the one you're replying to either I just wanna add my thoughts on sites like that.

Personally sites like the one you linked worry me more. Mainly because it looks SEO'd to hell and previously I've seen sites like this just being a man in the middle for buying from the aformentioned ebay listings.
Not saying it isn't legit I just dont personally trust it. I know I'm not the one you're replying to either I just wanna add my thoughts on sites like that.
I would tend to agree with you but it might be worth giving them a call and seeing what they are about. To me this just looks like the classic "Company A bought all stock at $1 and wants to sell it now for $2". Limited qty and no production means they didn't even have to try to corner the market... for better of for worse... I'll give them a call tomorrow if I remember and see what I can learn about them.

I would tend to agree with you but it might be worth giving them a call and seeing what they are about. To me this just looks like the classic "Company A bought all stock at $1 and wants to sell it now for $2". Limited qty and no production means they didn't even have to try to corner the market... for better of for worse... I'll give them a call tomorrow if I remember and see what I can learn about them.
The fact you'd even call them is bravery unseen in 2023. God speed

@Catch2223 Question for you about the fan mount. Measurements were made in millimeters correct? I was planning on printing this with a service I have used for years (at some point) and just wanted to make sure I dont get the scale wrong.

Also how did you personally connect the fan for power?

Last edited:
@Catch2223 Question for you about the fan mount. Measurements were made in millimeters correct? I was planning on printing this with a service I have used for years (at some point) and just wanted to make sure I dont get the scale wrong.

Also how did you personally connect the fan for power?
Millimeters is correct! If you need the Solidworks file for anything I am happy to share that as well.

I personally used a lab power supply just because I had it and it let me easily change the fan speed as needed. If you don't want to go that route you could get one of the cheapo boards from Amazon that lets to power it with the ATX PSU and set the fan speed that way. The motherboard headers *might* be able to do it but make sure the fan doesn't draw too much current if you try that. I have not looked into what the normal power delivery of those ports is.

Millimeters is correct! If you need the Solidworks file for anything I am happy to share that as well.

I personally used a lab power supply just because I had it and it let me easily change the fan speed as needed. If you don't want to go that route you could get one of the cheapo boards from Amazon that lets to power it with the ATX PSU and set the fan speed that way. The motherboard headers *might* be able to do it but make sure the fan doesn't draw too much current if you try that. I have not looked into what the normal power delivery of those ports is.
I knew it was Solidworks, being a user myself I could recognize it due to the visuals being very distinct. I dont particluarly need the files though, the STL is sufficient for me but dont let me stop you if you wanna share. The fan mount on it's own is already more than enough for me personally.

You are right though that it would be too much for the headers on the board for that power draw so I was thinking what other options are there. Like are there any similarly shaped blower fans that could be used that demand less power? Like surely there's be a high enough airflow 2 blower design without going back to 40mm fans, even though I know that's silly it is an idea I would pursue.

For example, if a motherboard header can handle 1A of draw (and let's be real, less than that is usually maximum, so 0.75-1A), then it doesn't seem that bad of an idea to have 2 paired together fastened with a bolt and nut, powered off 2 different headers even if it would be a bit of a wiring mess.
Alternatively a solution where you can get molex power/sata power to cover it wouldn't be a bad idea either assuming you had enough connectors free. This definitely could be a good idea if it wasn't for the fact that's a lot to draw off sata power, especially the 12v portion, so 2 sata power wouldn't be the end of the world either.
Another solution is 6pin PCIEe power connector to power it but that seems silly.

As for the GPU itself, how have you all been powering it? My current setup is ready to be a housefilre since I'm yoloing with a 6pin PCIe to 8pin EPS especially since I have no idea what this thing is even drawing. The cable FEELS fine, but it hasnt even been under a load, it's just existed so if anyone has some ideas, I'm open to it. Second PSU wouldn't be bad either.

Keyboard Red Dragon K552
You are right though that it would be too much for the headers on the board for that power draw so I was thinking what other options are there. Like are there any similarly shaped blower fans that could be used that demand less power? Like surely there's be a high enough airflow 2 blower design without going back to 40mm fans, even though I know that's silly it is an idea I would pursue.

For example, if a motherboard header can handle 1A of draw (and let's be real, less than that is usually maximum, so 0.75-1A), then it doesn't seem that bad of an idea to have 2 paired together fastened with a bolt and nut, powered off 2 different headers even if it would be a bit of a wiring mess.
Alternatively a solution where you can get molex power/sata power to cover it wouldn't be a bad idea either assuming you had enough connectors free. This definitely could be a good idea if it wasn't for the fact that's a lot to draw off sata power, especially the 12v portion, so 2 sata power wouldn't be the end of the world either.
Another solution is 6pin PCIEe power connector to power it but that seems silly.

Simple Solution:
'Breakout' the Power and Gnd on the fan, power separately via Molex, SATA, etc. Leave PWM and RPMsense connected to header, and it will still be PWM controlled and RPM report.
Note: If you're going for the 'YOLO' option(s) (5-9Amp) on blowers, a 6-pin PCIe input may be appropriate. :laugh:

Simple Solution:
'Breakout' the Power and Gnd on the fan, power separately via Molex, SATA, etc. Leave PWM and RPMsense connected to header, and it will still be PWM controlled and RPM report.
Note: If you're going for the 'YOLO' option(s) (5-9Amp) on blowers, a 6-pin PCIe input may be appropriate. :laugh:
Was making a small joke. I am not someone that should be doing a lot of stuff like this as I am quite prone to causing more damage than anything else. I want to be sensible, and the machine to come out unscathed, as well as parts so I'd be more inclined with appropriate or cleaner solution.

Or I can just try to use a sick aftermarket shroud with multiple fans but that's no fun especially given that I'd want it to be a blower design which is a little difficult to do here. Or who knows maybe it's easy?