• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX May Feature Faulty Coolers, Causing Overheating

System Name Dirt Sheep | Silent Sheep
Processor i5-2400 | 13900K (-0.025mV offset)
Motherboard Asus P8H67-M LE | Gigabyte AERO Z690-G, bios F26 with "Instant 6 GHz" on
Cooling Scythe Katana Type 1 | Noctua NH-U12A chromax.black
Memory G-skill 2*8GB DDR3 | Corsair Vengeance 4*32GB DDR5 5200Mhz C40 @4000MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 970GTX Mini | NV 1080TI FE (cap at 85%, 800mV)
Storage 2*SN850 1TB, 230S 4TB, 840EVO 128GB, WD green 2TB HDD, IronWolf 6TB, 2*HC550 18TB in RAID1
Display(s) LG 21` FHD W2261VP | Lenovo 27` 4K Qreator 27
Case Thermaltake V3 Black|Define 7 Solid, stock 3*14 fans+ 2*12 front&buttom+ out 1*8 (on expansion slot)
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 990 (or the screen speakers when I'm too lazy)
Power Supply Enermax Pro82+ 525W | Corsair RM650x (2021)
Mouse Logitech Master 3
Keyboard Roccat Isku FX
VR HMD Nop.
Software WIN 10 | WIN 11
Benchmark Scores CB23 SC: i5-2400=641 | i9-13900k=2325-2281 MC: i5-2400=i9 13900k SC | i9-13900k=37240-35500
I very much hope that 10% RMA don't count as small amount fo AMD that is they are custom for that rate.
If sub 1% is the normal RMA for GPU'S all reasons (so 1% is not small but average) than 10% for spacific reason can't be considered small. Right?

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
I very much hope that 10% RMA don't count as small amount fo AMD that is they are custom for that rate.
If sub 1% is the normal RMA for GPU'S all reasons (so 1% is not small but average) than 10% for spacific reason can't be considered small. Right?
Does it matter? I mean, does it change anything in the conclusion or the way AMD handles the case?

ARF

This is probably the most useful post along the 10 pages in the entire thread. It should be pinned to the top.

I wonder where der8auer is now to tell us that it's all crap and AMD hates everyone.

I don't see how this is not true - AMD needs to compete in where the higher volumes are, instead it completely abandoned the lower tiers, and instead launched RX 7900 which no one needs, no one buys, and if by some weird luck someone gets hands over one, gets an unpleasant surprise of not properly working hardware... :kookoo: :rolleyes:

System Name Order66
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism (BOX-cooler)
Memory 16GB DDR4 Corsair Desktop RAM Vengeance LPX 3200MHz Red
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX 3060Ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 510 1TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE228HR
Case Thermaltake Versa C21 RGB
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Software Windows10 64bit
First of all i don't care if AMD will recall or not those faulty parts. This is something that should mostly concern AMD's GPU customers and i'm not one of them.
(*although i always prefer AMD when it comes to CPUs compared to Intel )
The initial reports were saying that those parts have QR code ,so they can be spotted(* thus they could be recalled as well ).
A later report says that it seems that those parts don't have anything that could lead anyone to spot them(very weird from logical point of view , but anyway) .
So as i said before ,these are conflicting info , thus i can't conclude or think anything before this matter doesn't get completely clear.

But what i can judge is the morality of Herkelman's/AMD's statements :
So ,apparently , what you ,or myself , and i'm sure the vast majority of customers as well , would judge as a high RMA percentage , another person (Herkelman) who also ,coincidentally ,happens to be the representative of the company who sells those faulty products ,speaks about a .... "small batch".
If you combine that ... "evaluation gap" , with the fact that also Herkelman reffers to a "small performance delta" from the throttling ,while Der8auer ,through his tests reports a hit in performance up to 10-20% (in his video he mentioned that many of those faulty coolers can lack about 70-80watt of heat dissipation ,compared to the good ones ) .

so ,with these 2 combined ,it leads me to conclude that either :
A)AMD's representative has a (very)serious issue whenever he tries to evaluate percentages/numbers !!! , or
B)There is something wrong with AMD's approach on the matter , trying to lower its significance to the(their) customers.
Which is more likely , i :rolleyes:wonder ?
Anyway ,i don't have the intention to keep this discussion going ,it seems futile ,so , just like you wrote ;): "End of"

I am so glad seeing that other people are thinking exactly the same with what I’ve concluded.
(sometimes when you have deal with people like Herkelman ,you are starting to doubt about your own ability to evaluate some basic percentages/numbers:D )
If only UFD Tech had made this video a little earlier , I wouldn’t have to bother to make comments myself ,since what he is saying is exactly what I’ve said few days earlier … oh well:p

System Name My PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard MSI B550-A Pro
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo V2 (dual fan)
Memory 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia PNY GTX 1660 Ti
Storage 1TB NVMe SSD (boot drive) + 2TB HDD (storage)
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE 650w 80+ Gold Full-Modular
The title needs to be changed, as I personally feel is very misleading. It implies that all 7900 XTX cards are affected, not just the reference coolers. Its only the reference coolers that are affected, not anything else.

Processor E5-1680 V2
Motherboard Rampage IV black
Video Card(s) Asrock 7900 xtx
Storage 500 gb sd
Software windows 10 64 bit
Benchmark Scores 29,433 3dmark06 score
Lisa: Don't you worry, it's fine. Working within specs.
fire working GIF
Hahaha

This is probably the most useful post along the 10 pages in the entire thread. It should be pinned to the top.

I wonder where der8auer is now to tell us that it's all crap and AMD hates everyone.
No it’s not. Useful to whom? To the consumer this is complete drivel. What’s posted here is about trying to place blame, or deflect responsibility. To the consumer, they’ve spent almost $1,000 on a crap AMD product and it burned up on them! They want restitution. A new card (not a good choice since overall quality control is bad), or a refund. They want to know what AMD is going to do about it? Bad products are sold all of the time. How that is handled can make or break that manufacturer’s reputation!

Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
No it’s not. Useful to whom? To the consumer this is complete drivel. What’s posted here is about trying to place blame, or deflect responsibility. To the consumer, they’ve spent almost $1,000 on a crap AMD product and it burned up on them! They want restitution. A new card (not a good choice since overall quality control is bad), or a refund. They want to know what AMD is going to do about it? Bad products are sold all of the time. How that is handled can make or break that manufacturer’s reputation!
If you read the post I was replying to, then you know that AMD offered a replacement or refund. What more do you want?

If you read the post I was replying to, then you know that AMD offered a replacement or refund. What more do you want?
I don’t want anything. Especially from AMD. I have read it, and I’m responding to “your” post. The “explanation” is something a consumer just doesn’t care about. Nobody cares about “why,” or who’s to blame. The post is not useful to people who brought one of these cards. They care about how they’re treated by AMD, not finger pointing and excuses.

Software Windows 10 Pro
I don’t want anything. Especially from AMD. I have read it, and I’m responding to “your” post. The “explanation” is something a consumer just doesn’t care about. Nobody cares about “why,” or who’s to blame. The post is not useful to people who brought one of these cards. They care about how they’re treated by AMD, not finger pointing and excuses.
They're treated with an offer of replacement or refund. It's pretty standard when something is faulty. It's written in the post I was replying to. I still don't know what you're getting at.

Before you reply to a response to someone's post, it's worth reading the original post as well, to make sure you're aware of the context. Just saying.

They're treated with an offer of replacement or refund. It's pretty standard when something is faulty. It's written in the post I was replying to. I still don't know what you're getting at.

Before you reply to a response to someone's post, it's worth reading the original post as well, to make sure you're aware of the context. Just saying.
The refund is not the point, or “my” point. You said the the explanation you responded to was the most useful piece of information and should be posted on the front page. I disagree. The article also said the information should be taken with a pinch of salt. Accurate or not, the consumer doesn’t care because it doesn’t address their issues. Only restitution does. I’m fully aware that AMD offered a refund after the fact, but initially did not!

“AMD initially brushed off these issues, declining customers that applied for a replacement GPU and informing them that the “temperatures are normal.”

The cards were made by AMD. This is especially hypocritical since AMD mocked Nvidia over the 4090 overheating power cable issue.

Software Windows 10 Pro
The refund is not the point, or “my” point. You said the the explanation you responded to was the most useful piece of information and should be posted on the front page. I disagree. The article also said the information should be taken with a pinch of salt. Accurate or not, the consumer doesn’t care because it doesn’t address their issues. Only restitution does. I’m fully aware that AMD offered a refund after the fact, but initially did not!

“AMD initially brushed off these issues, declining customers that applied for a replacement GPU and informing them that the “temperatures are normal.”

The cards were made by AMD. This is especially hypocritical since AMD mocked Nvidia over the 4090 overheating power cable issue.

You buy a GPU. Said GPU turns out to be faulty. You return the GPU and get your money back. If this doesn't address your issues, then there isn't much to talk about.