• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Any utility for desktop

MattyDee87

Does Throttle Stop provide any utility for desktop? I have a ‘K’ cpu but B-series motherboard so can’t OC but am curious as to any other settings to maximize performance. Increased power limits to 300, synced mmio, etc. Thank you in advance

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Give ThrottleStop a try and find out. It works equally well on both desktop and mobile CPUs. It does wonderful things for my desktop 10850K.

What ThrottleStop can do depends on what features a motherboard has left unlocked. If a computer does not have any throttling problems and cannot be overclocked, ThrottleStop will not make it run any faster.

Last edited:

MattyDee87

Yeah, unfortunately didn’t realize MB didn’t support OC when I bought K variant… I get the yellow edp other limit warning across all 3, regularly for ring which turns red at times. I also get pl1 and pl2 limit warnings for cpu. Pl1 and 2 is locked at 300 and mmio synced. Pl4 is set to 0 and locked. IccMax is maxed on core and p cache. V max stress is checked, not familiar with that setting. Ring down bin is unchecked. Cache ratio says ucode 26 under max value for memory ddr. I’ve tried to research but don’t know much. Not sure if these settings are optimal or if you’d recommend anything else. Thanks again

unclewebb

V max stress
Checking V-Max Stress tells the CPU to throttle when it reaches a high voltage. Usually somewhere around 1.50 V which most people are not running their CPUs at.

I find leaving Ring Down Bin checked can improve stability. I am not sure if this is important when you have a B series board.

It sounds like you are doing everything you can do. Post FIVR and TPL screenshots if you want me to have a look.

Processor Intel i5-13600KF
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Lightning
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7800 XT
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF 165Hz
Case Fractal Meshify C
Power Supply Seasonic Focus 750
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO
Keyboard Logitech G512
didn’t realize MB didn’t support OC when I bought K variant
What board and CPU do you have?
Some boards have features like ASRock "Base Frequency Boost" for non-K's, which let's you run all cores at the max single core boost.

MattyDee87

What board and CPU do you have?
Some boards have features like ASRock "Base Frequency Boost" for non-K's, which let's you run all cores at the max single core boost.
Msi pro 660m-a cec ddr 4 and I-9-12900k. Only OC features I appear to have on bios is for xmp memory profile but don’t think it really does anything. As far as I’ve gathered, alder lakes architecture allows for continual boost as long as not thermally throttled. Any default turbo boost feature is already on, though.

Checking V-Max Stress tells the CPU to throttle when it reaches a high voltage. Usually somewhere around 1.50 V which most people are not running their CPUs at.

I find leaving Ring Down Bin checked can improve stability. I am not sure if this is important when you have a B series board.

It sounds like you are doing everything you can do. Post FIVR and TPL screenshots if you want me to have a look.
Okay, great. Fivr control is set as is for poorly optimized game that runs better on fewer primary cores. Not sure turbo groups matter though in this case as cores appear to run max speed as long as stays cool. I optimized best I could from info I gathered. Thanks so much for taking a look at these settings.

Attachments

• 337B07A1-086B-4DC5-9A38-66D5E3C00EE8.jpeg
    337B07A1-086B-4DC5-9A38-66D5E3C00EE8.jpeg
    6.5 MB · Views: 34
  • C1DA1941-CDCE-4511-AD78-D43992BB348D.jpeg
    C1DA1941-CDCE-4511-AD78-D43992BB348D.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 39
  • BC851109-65BF-492C-8F51-767C5FCC1945.jpeg
    BC851109-65BF-492C-8F51-767C5FCC1945.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 36
  • 5999C2BF-5273-4F48-95E1-C9B7CF853BF0.jpeg
    5999C2BF-5273-4F48-95E1-C9B7CF853BF0.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 32

unclewebb

1712810818463.png

When you see ThrottleStop reporting the wrong BCLK MHz value, try pressing the FID button at the top right of the monitoring table. This will try to recalculate the BCLK. This calculation sometimes fails on some computers. Not sure why. The typical default BCLK is usually 99.77 MHz. ThrottleStop reporting 53 MHz is definitely out to lunch.

No need to set the turbo time limit to a big number. When PL1 and PL2 are set to the same value, I would just use the default 56 seconds for the turbo time limit.

The top middle of the FIVR window shows that Undervolt Protection is enabled. If you can find a setting for this in the BIOS, I would disable Undervolt Protection. This Intel feature can do more harm than good. A 660M board will probably not have this option available in the BIOS.

When the MMIO Lock box is checked, there is no need to check the Sync MMIO box.

I rarely see anyone using the Power Balance feature. I do not think checking this box is necessary. This feature is mostly for low power U or G series CPUs with 15 Watt TDP ratings and even then, Power Balance is rarely used.

MattyDee87

Great, thanks. Any idea what that code 26 in memory ddr means? Would you say this app provides anything for performance then in my case given that I can’t OC and pc’s not throttled? I love the app and tip of the hat but any cpu that can be spared is beneficial for this cpu-bound game that I’m interested in optimizing. Thanks again!

Last edited:
This feature is mostly for low power U or G series CPUs with 15 Watt TDP ratings and even then, Power Balance is rarely used.
So far there is all i could ever find about this settings https://www.reddit.com/r/gpdwin/comments/koz7o2 . I have tested this myself on my 12th Gen Intel CPU and whatever values (ratios) i set there were no noticeble effects at all.

Since the setting is affecting only when Intel's iGPU is used, i was testing back then and found that Intel's iGPU could be slower, laggy, and glitchy even on Windows 11 desktop. This way, if you somehow do not need a discrete graphics by Nvidia, the best on board embedded graphics will be new Intel Arc or any alternatives by AMD. The new embedded graphics Intel Arc is incredibly fast comparing to previous Intel UHD and Intel Xe.

MattyDee87

View attachment 342985

When you see ThrottleStop reporting the wrong BCLK MHz value, try pressing the FID button at the top right of the monitoring table. This will try to recalculate the BCLK. This calculation sometimes fails on some computers. Not sure why. The typical default BCLK is usually 99.77 MHz. ThrottleStop reporting 53 MHz is definitely out to lunch.

No need to set the turbo time limit to a big number. When PL1 and PL2 are set to the same value, I would just use the default 56 seconds for the turbo time limit.

The top middle of the FIVR window shows that Undervolt Protection is enabled. If you can find a setting for this in the BIOS, I would disable Undervolt Protection. This Intel feature can do more harm than good. A 660M board will probably not have this option available in the BIOS.

When the MMIO Lock box is checked, there is no need to check the Sync MMIO box.

I rarely see anyone using the Power Balance feature. I do not think checking this box is necessary. This feature is mostly for low power U or G series CPUs with 15 Watt TDP ratings and even then, Power Balance is rarely used.
Any benefit to increasing PL1 and 2 if thermal headroom or does it not matter given the edp notices on components indicating current limit?