• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best free software to move OS from HDD to SSD Fom

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Aliens Ryzen Rig | 2nd Hand Omen
Processor Ryzen R5 5600 | Ryzen R5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (F61 BIOS) | B450 matx
Cooling DeepCool Castle EX V2 240mm AIO| stock for now
Memory 8GB X 2 DDR4 3000mhz Team Group Vulcan | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 8GB | GTX 1650 4GB
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Display(s) Acer ED273 27" VA 144hz Freesync |TCL 32" 1080P w/ HDR
Case NZXT H500 Black | HP Omen Obelisk
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek | Onboard Realtek
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650w 80+ Gold | 500w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
Software Windows 10 Pro | Windows 10 Pro
As title says I'm looking for some free and easy software to migrate the os. Any suggestions are appreciated ☺️

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790I Edge WiFi Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 240mm
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case LANCOOL 205M MESH Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 1000W
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software openSUSE Tumbleweed
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
As title says I'm looking for some free and easy software to migrate the os. Any suggestions are appreciated ☺️
Check your drive manufacturer. Pretty much all of them come with a branded version of acronis for free for this very purpose.

System Name My 15 year old buddy
Processor Phenom II X2 550 unlocked to X4 B50 @ 3.7 GHz
Motherboard GA-MA78LMT-US2H with ACC Bios patch to unlock cores
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600 (8-8-8-20)
Video Card(s) Integrated ATI Radeon HD3000 + nVidia GTX 1050
Storage 128GB SSD, 2x16TB HDD
Case Custom wooden case
Power Supply 350W Noname
Benchmark Scores Windows 11 / Youtube at 1080p / Jellyfin transcoding 4K HDR
I dont recommend doing that if we are talking about modern windows installations and switch to NVMe.
You wont get the best from the SSD. W11 for example has an optimisation to the NTFS file system if it is installed on NVMe drives in order to use features beyond what SATA provides, and you wont get those if you simply clone the OS.

Another potentially deal breaking concern is if the partitions on the HDD were created with MBR (master boot record) since this is not supported on modern UEFI only motherboards. For that you need a disk partitioned with GPT (Guid partition table). In that case your best bet is to reinstall from stratch and copy the data.

But if you insist and want a free tool, you can put any bootable linux distro with Gnome on USB stick (Ubuntu?) and then use GParted to clone an entire disk.
There are several guides for GParted online. However if the disk was indeed MBR then you won't be able to boot if you don't enable CSM in the BIOS which will prevent you from having ReBar/Smart access memory enabled.
You will probably see NTFS instead of ext4 and wont have swap partitions if the disk was with windows, but this is roughly what you will be presented with. Note: operations you do in GParted are simply queued, and you need to Apply them before they take effect.
Aways read and verify what will happen when you want to Apply, in order to avoid your own errors that could potentially destroy data.

If you are simply copying pasting partitions from disk to disk, you might be missing the boot record on the destination disk and would need to rebuild it in order to boot from the cloned disk.
It is a technical thing, so perhaps just use GParted to check or shrink/resize the partitions before copying.
Afterwayds you can use the command line tool to copy the whole disk to another empty disk that can contain it.

For that in Linux the command line (terminal) will be (depending on the live distro you might need to prefix "sudo " before it to run as admin):
Bash:
dd if=/dev/sdInput of=/dev/sdOutput bs=10M
You will deduce sdInput and sdOutput from GParted. Those are your source and destination drive names as seen by the OS. The bs=10M just means to copy in 10 megabytes per write cycles which should be ok. You can increase it if you wish, just dont overdo it since it can slow down the copy. This operation will overwrite the whole destination disk byte per byte exactly as the original, and everything there was on it will be lost.

If on the other hand you cannot clone the whole drive with "dd" because you already have some partitions but still want to copy the partitions of the source drive (have a merge of both disk so to speak) AND KEEP the disk bootable, then:
- make sure you have space on the destination disk equal to the partitions already present on it
- calculate the space needed for the partitions from the source drive and add a few megabytes of buffer
- select the partitions on the destination drive and click the Move button
- move the partition(s) after the space required for the source partitions
- apply the changes
- now that you have free space on the beginning of the disk proceed to copy paste the partitions from the source disk by keeping the same order
- apply the changes again

Now that you have copied the partitions on the destination disk, and they have the same order, you need to copy the boot record.
You can do this with "dd". The boot record are the first 512 bytes of the disk, but you dont need the partition table from it since you already made them. You need just the boot code that contains what the original OS from the source disk had. This is stored in the first 446 bytes of the disk.

Bash:
dd if=/dev/sdInput of=/dev/sdOutput bs=446 count=1

So this will copy the first chunk of 446 bytes from the source disk to the destination disk, once. the sdInput and sdOutput are again deduced from GParted. This will make the destination disk run the boot code that was originally on the source disk, and if all partitions on the destination disk are in the same positions as they were on the source disk, it should allow you to boot into the OS you had just cloned.

Last edited:
System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
Check your drive manufacturer. Pretty much all of them come with a branded version of acronis for free for this very purpose.
This.

Even if purchased 2nd-hand, the manufacturer-supplied version of an imaging suite will work most-simply and be legitimately free w/o any risk of PUPs/Malware.

ADATA's SSD Toolbox, has a (mostly brand-agnostic*) cloning utility.
*It won't 'talk to' my Sabrent NVMe drives

Crucial offers a version of Acronis (though, I'm not sure if it is brand-agnostic)

Samsung has their "Data Migration Software for Consumer SSD" too but, IIRC will not 'work' fully/properly with a non-samsung drive

Edit:
this popped up while I was on ADATA's site (which, I went to after seeing OP has ADATA drives)
1699149891787.png

Also, yes. For modern Windows, it's much better to do a clean install.
This isn't an option in all scenarios (esp. when there's licensed software installed)

I dont recommend doing that if we are talking about modern windows installations and switch to NVMe.
You wont get the best from the SSD. W11 for example has an optimisation to the NTFS file system if it is installed on NVMe drives in order to use features beyond what SATA provides, and you wont get those if you simply clone the OS.

Another potentially deal breaking concern is if the partitions on the HDD were created with MBR (master boot record) since this is not supported on modern UEFI only motherboards. For that you need a disk partitioned with GPT (Guid partition table). In that case your best bet is to reinstall from stratch and copy the data.
110% agreed. Important details to consider.

But if you insist and want a free tool, you can put any bootable linux distro with Gnome on USB stick (Ubuntu?) and then use GParted to clone an entire disk.
There are several guides for GParted online. However if the disk was indeed MBR then you won't be able to boot if you don't enable CSM in the BIOS which will prevent you from having ReBar/Smart access memory enabled.
You will probably see NTFS instead of ext4 and wont have swap partitions if the disk was with windows, but this is roughly what you will be presented with. Note: operations you do in GParted are simply queued, and you need to Apply them before they take effect.
Aways read and verify what will happen when you want to Apply, in order to avoid your own errors that could potentially destroy data.

If you are simply copying pasting partitions from disk to disk, you might be missing the boot record on the destination disk and would need to rebuild it in order to boot from the cloned disk.
It is a technical thing, so perhaps just use GParted to check or shrink/resize the partitions before copying.
Afterwayds you can use the command line tool to copy the whole disk to another empty disk that can contain it.

For that in Linux the command line (terminal) will be (depending on the live distro you might need to prefix "sudo " before it to run as admin):
Bash:
dd if=/dev/sdInput of=/dev/sdOutput bs=10M
You will deduce sdInput and sdOutput from GParted. Those are your source and destination drive names as seen by the OS. The bs=10M just means to copy in 10 megabytes per write cycles which should be ok. You can increase it if you wish, just dont overdo it since it can slow down the copy. This operation will overwrite the whole destination disk byte per byte exactly as the original, and everything there was on it will be lost.

If on the other hand you cannot clone the whole drive with "dd" because you already have some partitions but still want to copy the partitions of the source drive (have a merge of both disk so to speak) AND KEEP the disk bootable, then:
- make sure you have space on the destination disk equal to the partitions already present on it
- calculate the space needed for the partitions from the source drive and add a few megabytes of buffer
- select the partitions on the destination drive and click the Move button
- move the partition(s) after the space required for the source partitions
- apply the changes
- now that you have free space on the beginning of the disk proceed to copy paste the partitions from the source disk by keeping the same order
- apply the changes again

Now that you have copied the partitions on the destination disk, and they have the same order, you need to copy the boot record.
You can do this with "dd". The boot record are the first 512 bytes of the disk, but you dont need the partition table from it since you already made them. You need just the boot code that contains what the original OS from the source disk had. This is stored in the first 446 bytes of the disk.

Bash:
dd if=/dev/sdInput of=/dev/sdOutput bs=446 count=1

So this will copy the first chunk of 446 bytes from the source disk to the destination disk, once. the sdInput and sdOutput are again deduced from GParted. This will make the destination disk run the boot code that was originally on the source disk, and if all partitions on the destination disk are in the same positions as they were on the source disk, it should allow you to boot into the OS you had just cloned.
Thanks for the detailed guide but, this is hardly the simplest/easiest 'free' method.
It is probably the most broadly-applicable method, though.

Last edited:

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
Ok so here's the deal. The os was on a Toshiba HDD and I have a western digital nvme SSD. Acronis for WD kept lagging out so I gave up there. I went with Marconium reflect 8 home and cloned the os from there. It's up and running windows on the SSD now and I've reformatted the HDD.

The PC is question is an HP omen 875. I didn't want to mess with reinstalling as this is a 2nd hand PC and I don't have pertinent disks and whatnot. The method I used was fairly straightforward and the OS boots much quicker now

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
The PC is question is an HP omen 875. I didn't want to mess with reinstalling as this is a 2nd hand PC and I don't have pertinent disks and whatnot. The method I used was fairly straightforward and the OS boots much quicker now

You wont need any disks. At least not since 2002-2004 where a lot of machines came with a hidden recovery partition that stored a factory default image of the computer you could boot into and restore windows from. A lot of OEM builders did this by default. when Windows XP was in mid swing and your Omen 875 is from 2019 so should be no different unless the OS isnt the same one it originally left the factory with or you messed with it and deleted the recovery partition.

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
You wont need any disks. At least not since 2002-2004 where a lot of machines came with a hidden recovery partition that stored a factory default image of the computer you could boot into and restore windows from. A lot of OEM builders did this by default. when Windows XP was in mid swing and your Omen 875 is from 2019 so should be no different unless the OS isnt the same one it originally left the factory with or you messed with it and deleted the recovery partition.
Don't know enough about OEM or pre built to have been aware. I'm getting old lolol. I was successful in cloning the os and everything is running smoothly

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Don't know enough about OEM or pre built to have been aware. I'm getting old lolol. I was successful in cloning the os and everything is running smoothly

Yeah man. They did away with shipping copies of the OS or restore discs with machines a long long time ago.

I think some of them started experimenting with it on windows 95 and windows 98 by having a hidden partition that would store an factory default image then give you a 'restoration disc' that would either point to where the image is on the hard drive or run an automated script that would start up a copy of Acronis located on the disc and it would factory reset your computer without you having to be there to keep an eye on it. Just set it up and let it do its thing.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Yeah clones often work read clonezilla is good
Frankly I just restore a system image to new drives with the winpe recovery usb since I system image already there's nothing new :cool:

Not sure why someone wouldn't be system imaging these days it's way to easy.

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
Hi,
Yeah clones often work read clonezilla is good
Frankly I just restore a system image to new drives with the winpe recovery usb since I system image already there's nothing new :cool:

Not sure why someone wouldn't be system imaging these days it's way to easy.
This someone is way too stoned (420) to remember things like that in my old age. This is my sons PC and I've just been upgrading it slowly and this was last step maybe in the future I could read up more but for now macrium reflect 8 worked like a charm

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
This someone is way too stoned (420) to remember things like that in my old age. This is my sons PC and I've just been upgrading it slowly and this was last step maybe in the future I could read up more but for now macrium reflect 8 worked like a charm
Hi,
I don't use 8 but indeed reflect works very well at the system imaging game as well :cool:

System Name Minotaur
Processor Intel I9 7940X
Motherboard Asus Strix Rog Gaming E X299
Cooling Xigmatek LOKI SD963 double-Fan
Memory 64Gb DDR4 2800Mhz
Video Card(s) 1)RX 6900XT BIOSTAR 16Gb***2)MATROX M9120LP
Storage 2 x ssd-Kingston 240Gb A400 in RAID 0+ HDD 500Gb +Samsung 128gbSSD +SSD Kinston 480Gb
Display(s) BenQ 28"EL2870U(4K-HDR) / Acer 24"(1080P) / Eizo 2336W(1080p) / 2x Eizo 19"(1280x1024)
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) Realtek/Creative T20 Speakers
Power Supply F S P Hyper S 700W
Mouse Asus TUF-GAMING M3
Keyboard Func FUNC-KB-460/Mechanical Keyboard
VR HMD Oculus Rift DK2
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Fire Strike=23905,Cinebench R15=3167,Cinebench R20=7490.Passmark=30689,Geekbench4=32885
I been using DiskGenius it's free&easy and I never have the problem after moving my system it just works 'tho I usually moved from SSD to SSD....

System Name Personal rig & Folder
Processor R9 5900X (VRM-B2) @ 180W/160A/140A | Mfg Wk03/2022
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Thermalright PA120 w/ 3x P12, MX-6
Memory 2x16GB Crucial Ballistix 8Gbit Rev.E (DR) @ 3800CL15-18-8-17-34-54-540-1T @ 1.45v, 1900MHz FCLK
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Devil 6600XT @ C2800MHz/M2300MHz (Samsung) @ 192W TGP | MX-6, TP-3
Storage 1x SK hynix Gold P31 1TB (boot), 1x 2TB TeamGroup MP33 Pro, 1x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD 5900RPM
Display(s) 1x Gigabyte M27Q, 1x Dell 2007WFP, 1x Dell E152FPg
Case Phanteks P500A (non-digital) w/ 4x 140mm Arctic P14 PWM PST CO fans
Audio Device(s) FiiO E10K-TC (USB) -> beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (80ohm)
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Core RGB
Software W10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/machinelearning/ ~ https://hwbot.org/team/warp9_systems/
System Name Blah
Processor Ryzen 7950x
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling BLACK ICE SR2 480,EKWB Quantum Magnitude AM4,D5 Pump,17 CORSAIR SP120 RGB ELITE
Memory 32Gig Gskill 6000 DDR5
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 LIQUID X 24G
Storage Optane 900P 480GB,2x SX8200 2TB ,SAM 980 PRO 2TB,2xSAM 860 EVO 1TB,SAM 870 EVO 4TB,SAM 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 57
Case CORSAIR 7000X
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4082
Power Supply CORSAIR HX1500I
Mouse Corsair Harpoon
Keyboard Corsair Strafe MkII
VR HMD Oculus
Macrium Reflect....

Sorry just realized that you were already using it......

System Name MSi Coffee Lake
Processor i7-8700k
Motherboard MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC
Cooling NZXT something AIO loop
Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX 2133 C14 Fury Black
Video Card(s) TITAN Xp Jedi Order Edition
Storage Samsung 960 Evo NVMe
Display(s) Medion 23'
Case Cooler Master Stryker
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply BeQuiet 600W
Mouse Logitech Trackman T-BB18
Keyboard Generic hp
Software Windows 10
Macrium Reflect is no longer free for home users.
You can have a 30-Day Free Trial however.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock through Kryosheet
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 40