• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Constant "EDP Other" under RING in ThrottleStop

Lucas Compasso

Thank you very much tiowebb for the answer.
I will do some research to see if I can solve this problem, if I can come back here to provide feedback.
You are very good at what you do, this knowledge is incredible, congratulations.

See you soon with more results.

Good morning everyone.

Here is an update of my chance.

This morning, I saw the response from tiowebb, and I started researching the issue of disabled DPTF (Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework), I found an article about the case of disabled, being able to disable DPTF, (I believe so), after the process, I made the changes recommended by tiowebb, and started the test on Cinebench R23, my score was GREAT, even surpassed the average, but even so I have a bottleneck in PL1, I'm afraid to increase a lot, even if I don't know if this PL that I adopted.

what recommends me to do tiowebb?

Follows files for better understanding.

Thank you very much for your help, you are showwww.

Attachments

• Cinebench R23 att.png
    Cinebench R23 att.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 260
  • FIVR att.png
    FIVR att.png
    68.6 KB · Views: 248
  • pesquisa i7 8750H cinebench R23.png
    pesquisa i7 8750H cinebench R23.png
    42 KB · Views: 262
  • Power Limits Att.png
    Power Limits Att.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 255
  • ThrottleStop.png
    ThrottleStop.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 268
  • 2021-04-04.txt
    144.4 KB · Views: 93

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Cinebench R23, my score was GREAT
Increasing the CPU core offset to -200 mV has improved your Cinebench score.

The log file shows that you still have a power limit throttle problem. At 42W, your computer is forced to slow down. With no power limits, your Cinebench score would be higher but on your computer, that is not possible.

If you are playing a game and the Nvidia GPU is active, some Dell computers will reduce the turbo power limit more so your CPU will throttle more. Try running a log file while you are playing a game. How is performance?

I do not know how to fix Dell's power limit throttling problem.

Juanpppp

hello everyone, i must admit that i am very new to the world of undervolting, so my problem is probably very easy to solve. if this is the case i owe you an apology in advance.
with or without undervolting, i have this EDP OTHER error constantly on limit reasons, always flashing red. i have discovered that this error stops appearing if i have the disable turbo box activated, so i could intuit something on that part. also a box with the initials TVB appears in yellow, i have no idea what it could mean.

the characteristics of my laptop:
-Asus vivobook X509FB
-BIOS: X509FB.302
-CPU: i7-8565U with uhd 620 graphics
-Integrated GPU: nvidia geforce mx110
the charger and battery are the original factory ones.

if someone could guide me to solve this, I would be very grateful :).

Attachments

• FIVR.png
    FIVR.png
    62.6 KB · Views: 266
  • Limit reasons trouble.png
    Limit reasons trouble.png
    78.6 KB · Views: 285
  • TPL.png
    TPL.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 272

unclewebb

If you want EDP OTHER to go away, open the FIVR window and try increasing IccMax for both the core and the cache. I recommend setting these both to 255.75 so they do not interfere with performance. The big problem is that Power Limit 4 is set to 28. That is too low. Either set this to 0 which usually disables this setting or set it to 1023 to avoid throttling.

I would check the FIVR Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits box. This will disable the secondary set of power limits. No real need for multiple power limits all trying to do the same thing.

In the TPL window it says Speed Shift - Min 4 and Max 46. You have set the Min to 128 and the Max to 255. I have to ask, why? There are hundreds of examples in the ThrottleStop thread and there are piles of ThrottleStop videos on YouTube and I have never seen Speed Shift Min and Max set like that. Whatever you are trying to accomplish, that is not the way to do it. :)

On the main screen, Speed Shift EPP is checked and set to 128. For maximum performance I would not set this higher than 80. Windows 10 is usually capable of controlling EPP so most users do not need to check the Speed Shift EPP option in ThrottleStop. Try clearing that box and then move the Windows power slider in the system tray back and forth while watching the Speed Shift EPP value in the FIVR monitoring table. Most computers are setup so that when you move the slider to Best Performance, Windows will automatically set EPP to 84. If Windows can handle this, let it. Not a good idea to have ThrottleStop and Windows both writing different values to the same CPU register.

Your CPU is getting up to 98°C. A lot of laptops with low power U series CPUs will get hot and thermal throttle if you increase the turbo power limits. Their cooling is barely adequate at 15W and completely inadequate at 30W or higher. Either disassemble your laptop and clean it and replace the thermal paste or lower the power limits so it does not run so hot.

DarkByteZero

Have you spoken with Apple Care? I doubt they have much knowledge about this but if they return/exchange can you let us know ?

Hey Ho, I had a problem with my Macbook a year ago. I just want to let everyone know that such extreme throttle as I had can also be a hardware fault. (throttle at 0,8 Ghz) After I had my Macbook replaced for free, the i9 runs constantly at 4,1 Ghz without any problems.

iamhavingastroke

Intel CPUs can run 100% reliably up to 100°C. That is the normal thermal throttling temperature. Your laptop manufacturer has set the throttling temperature really low at 92°C so your CPU can never reach its full rated temperature. This means that your CPU temperature should never be a concern. It will always be forced to run well within spec.

Modern laptops with Intel 6 core CPUs run hot. Even low power laptops will run at over 90°C. It is just the way it is in 2020. Why not set the Speed Shift Max value back to the default setting which is 45. Setting this to 34 is limiting your CPU performance.

Your laptop is able to handle a 45W CPU. Why not use your laptop as Intel intended? It is not going to blow up or quickly die. You can use the latest version of ThrottleStop to try and increase the PROCHOT temperature back up to 100°C (Intel spec). Just download, unzip and copy the new ThrottleStop.exe into your ThrottleStop folder.

If this scares you, do not use the PROCHOT Offset feature that is in the Options window. Intel sets PROCHOT Offset to 0, not 8. I would use this feature and I would also bump the long term power limit up to 50W or 55W. Holding your CPU to 45W sacrifices a lot of performance. This is not necessary. The thermal throttling temperature will protect your CPU.
Hello unclewebb, I have a recently discovered the same edp other under ring and I have tried all the solutions listed here and can't fix it. Could you please help?
Thank you

Attachments

• t.PNG
    t.PNG
    35.6 KB · Views: 181
  • r.PNG
    r.PNG
    41.1 KB · Views: 188
  • o.PNG
    o.PNG
    17.6 KB · Views: 189

unclewebb

I have tried all the solutions listed here

If you want EDP OTHER to go away, open the FIVR window and try increasing IccMax for both the core and the cache.
Your screenshot shows that IccMax is set to 55.00. I set both of these to the maximum, 255.75. If that does not make EDP OTHER throttling go away then there is nothing else you can do.

When you are playing a game, is this causing any throttling? Turn on the Log File option in ThrottleStop so you have a record of your CPU performance. Is EDP showing up in the log file? Attach a log file to your next post so I can have a look.

Edit - The default turbo ratios for your CPU are 35, 33, 32, 31. Setting all of these to 35 will be ignored by the CPU. It is a locked CPU. It does not support a 35 all core overclock.

Last edited:

iamhavingastroke

Your screenshot shows that IccMax is set to 55.00. I set both of these to the maximum, 255.75. If that does not make EDP OTHER throttling go away then there is nothing else you can do.

When you are playing a game, is this causing any throttling? Turn on the Log File option in ThrottleStop so you have a record of your CPU performance. Is EDP showing up in the log file? Attach a log file to your next post so I can have a look.

Edit - The default turbo ratios for your CPU are 35, 33, 32, 31. Setting all of these to 35 will be ignored by the CPU. It is a locked CPU. It does not support a 35 all core overclock.
My cpu wasn't always like this it started happening a couple days ago so I cleaned my vents and reinstalled windows but it didnt help and I get fps stutters in all my games.

unclewebb

Turn on the Log File option in ThrottleStop so you have a record of your CPU performance.
I cannot help you if you do not provide me with any data that shows this problem. What laptop model do you have? Many older Dell laptops can develop bizarre and severe throttling problems over time. Post a log file while gaming so I can see what is going on. If you have an Nvidia GPU, check that box in the Options window so that data is included in your log file. Attach a log file to your next post.

iamhavingastroke

I cannot help you if you do not provide me with any data that shows this problem. What laptop model do you have? Many older Dell laptops can develop bizarre and severe throttling problems over time. Post a log file while gaming so I can see what is going on. If you have an Nvidia GPU, check that box in the Options window so that data is included in your log file. Attach a log file to your next post.
I have a HP omen 2016

does it help?

Attachments

• 2021-06-15.txt
    101.7 KB · Views: 78

unclewebb

The CPU is running exactly as it should run. Power consumption is low at 25W so there is no power limit throttling and the CPU is running steady with a 31.00 multiplier which is what it should be running at.

What GPU do you have? Either add your GPU data to the ThrottleStop log file or use GPU-Z to create a log file. You might have some sort of GPU throttling problem. Have you done any recent Windows Updates or GPU driver updates? Any issues you are having do not appear to be CPU related.

What exact version of Windows are you using? Open a command window to see what number it shows.
I am using version 10.0.19042.985

iamhavingastroke

The CPU is running exactly as it should run. Power consumption is low at 25W so there is no power limit throttling and the CPU is running steady with a 31.00 multiplier which is what it should be running at.

What GPU do you have? Either add your GPU data to the ThrottleStop log file or use GPU-Z to create a log file. You might have some sort of GPU throttling problem. Have you done any recent Windows Updates or GPU driver updates? Any issues you are having do not appear to be CPU related.

What exact version of Windows are you using? Open a command window to see what number it shows.
I am using version 10.0.19042.985T

Thank you for letting me know I am using a GTX 965M and my windows version is 10.0.19042.1052

Thank you for letting me know I am using a GTX 965M and my windows version is 10.0.19042.1052

how can I make a log file with my gpu in it?

this might be it let me know if I didn't include gpu

Attachments

• 2021-06-16.txt
    16.5 KB · Views: 68

unclewebb

how can I make a log file with my gpu in it?
If you want to include your Nvidia GPU MHz and temps in the ThrottleStop log file then follow the directions I posted.

If you have an Nvidia GPU, check that box in the Options window so that data is included in your log file.
A GPU-Z log file is much more thorough but this is a good start to see if the GPU MHz are tanking.

Some updates do crazy things like lower the maximum GPU temperature so you end up with lots of GPU throttling.

let me know if I didn't include gpu
You did not yet include the Nvidia GPU. Find that box in the ThrottleStop Options window on the right side and check it.

1623816876433.png

Last edited:

iamhavingastroke

Can a gpu also cause the edp other sign under ring? I just turned on the gpu log file and will play a game to test it out but it is nearly impossible due to the large fps stuttering issue.

If you want to include your Nvidia GPU MHz and temps in the ThrottleStop log file then follow the directions I posted.

A GPU-Z log file is much more thorough but this is a good start to see if the GPU MHz are tanking.

Some updates do crazy things like lower the maximum GPU temperature so you end up with lots of GPU throttling.

You did not yet include the Nvidia GPU. Find that box in the ThrottleStop Options window on the right side and check it.

View attachment 204098
This is the file hopefully helps and thank you soo much for helping me unclewebb

Attachments

• 2021-06-16.txt
    60.9 KB · Views: 75

unclewebb

It is common to get EDP OTHER lighting up yellow under ring. There is no sign of this being a problem in the log file. Did you increase the IccMax values like I suggested?

There is no sign of any Nvidia GPU throttling in the log file. The GPU runs at 937 MHz or 1151 MHz which does not sound too bad. The 965M is rated at 944 MHz + Boost so it seems to be performing normal.

Did you update the Nvidia GPU driver recently? What version of this driver are you using? Nothing is really jumping out at me why your computer is stuttering so badly.

In the FIVR window check Thermal Velocity Boost, V-Max Stress and Ring Down Bin. Some of these do not apply to your CPU model.

iamhavingastroke

It is common to get EDP OTHER lighting up yellow under ring. There is no sign of this being a problem in the log file. Did you increase the IccMax values like I suggested?

There is no sign of any Nvidia GPU throttling in the log file. The GPU runs at 937 MHz or 1151 MHz which does not sound too bad. The 965M is rated at 944 MHz + Boost so it seems to be performing normal.

Did you update the Nvidia GPU driver recently? What version of this driver are you using? Nothing is really jumping out at me why your computer is stuttering so badly.

In the FIVR window check Thermal Velocity Boost, V-Max Stress and Ring Down Bin. Some of these do not apply to your CPU model.
I am soo sorry for the late reply but yes I updated the gpu recently and it is on version 466.77. My main problem is games usually running great than the fps goes down to 18-30 and goes back up.

I am soo sorry for the late reply but yes I updated the gpu recently and it is on version 466.77. My main problem is games usually running great than the fps goes down to 18-30 and goes back up.

I also did increase iccmax to the max

aa1996s

I also did increase iccmax to the max
in fortnite I also suffer for that reason, FPS are 79 and drops to 18-23-9fps-40-30 fps - 50 fps - 60 fps today I tried a little playing with the game settings and control panel envy, and when activating graphics like antialiasing, which make your nvidia gpu work harder than the cpu, because when the graphics are low (with graphics all low, I think it is that it only uses the cpu because my gpu was almost not working and after doing that solved a lot of FPS drops, it depends on the equipment, this puts the gpu to work and improves the performance somewhat, but I never managed to have anything fluid with my i7 8750h, I have a laptop, and my subvolt is 3200 mhz, all the cores, and the voltage runs offset -200 and the cache offset -100.

unclewebb

I updated the gpu recently and it is on version 466.77
If something has changed fairly recently then I would be uninstalling the 466.77 Nvidia driver and I would install an older version from a few months ago. There are so many updates that you really have to pay close attention to performance after each update. Things can go to crap in the blink of an eye.

aa1996s

If something has changed fairly recently then I would be uninstalling the 466.77 Nvidia driver and I would install an older version from a few months ago. There are so many updates that you really have to pay close attention to performance after each update. Things can go to crap in the blink of an eye.
How do I know which is the right driver for my performance? should i delete other nvidia drivers? could you help me a little please? I don't know how to uninstall those drivers or updates. thanks for all bro , you are good bro thanks

unclewebb

How do I know which is the right driver for my performance?
How am I supposed to know what Nvidia driver will work best on your laptop? Uninstall whatever Nvidia driver you are currently using and download and install an older driver. The Nvidia download site should have lots of older drivers to choose from.

I get fps stutters in all my games.
If this never used to happen and all of a sudden it started to happen, it might be a recent driver or Windows update that is causing this.

iamhavingastroke

How am I supposed to know what Nvidia driver will work best on your laptop? Uninstall whatever Nvidia driver you are currently using and download and install an older driver. The Nvidia download site should have lots of older drivers to choose from.

If this never used to happen and all of a sudden it started to happen, it might be a recent driver or Windows update that is causing this.
I am going to install a older driver as I have the same issue in fortnite where I get 200 fps then it goes down to 34 or 18

aa1996s

yeah , right , i have one look ,
and how can I make sure which driver to download and install?

1623873955527.png

unclewebb

how can I make sure which driver to download and install?
Maybe iamhavingastroke will be able to find a GPU driver that works better. I do not know if this is the problem. A different GPU driver is the first thing I would try changing. If a couple of older GPU drivers have the exact same problem then it is probably something else. I do not have this problem so I do not know how to fix it.

I never let Windows 10 automatically update itself. I use Sledgehammer to manage the updates. This makes it easier to troubleshoot when there is a problem.

iamhavingastroke

Maybe iamhavingastroke will be able to find a GPU driver that works better. I do not know if this is the problem. A different GPU driver is the first thing I would try changing. If a couple of older GPU drivers have the exact same problem then it is probably something else. I do not have this problem so I do not know how to fix it.

I never let Windows 10 automatically update itself. I use Sledgehammer to manage the updates. This makes it easier to troubleshoot when there is a problem.

Hello Unclewebb, how are you? I recently changed the graphics driver and have found no changes and will continue to test more drivers. I have also attached a log file which might help.

Attachments

• 2021-06-16.txt
    495.7 KB · Views: 58

aa1996s