• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair 2000D Airflow

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I understand entirely what you're referring to, I just don't necessarily agree that £140 for a good board on the current socket is expensive. If that's too much there's £100 lower end options, or even cheaper if you don't need latest gen.

It's also not true that high end boards are pointless for ITX. Look at my own build for an example. It's 500 W of components in a sub 15 L case with great temps and is inaudible.

There's plenty of fantastic small case options with great airflow, optimised for air or liquid cooling ITX builds, such as this Corsair case. In my opinion it's the new high end. But the low end still exists in this form factor and it's cheap to build.

Few people realistically use SLI or standalone internal sound cards or other add in cards these days, so the larger classic form factors are holdouts from an age where the space was required, and things like storage for instance were huge 3.5" units, with larger floppy bays etc.

I mean, for budget, grabbing a AM4 ITX board, RAM kit, and throwing a 5600 in there will cost ~£250, so you can still do cheap compact builds with all the fittings like wireless etc, just don't expect DDR5/PCIe 5 etc.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/K2ZwY9

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor (£116.99 @ AWD-IT)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (£109.36 @ NeoComputers)
Memory: Silicon Power GAMING 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£34.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £261.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-09 21:10 BST+0100
Why do people need a "good board" at twice the entry-level price for a budget build when the unnecessary extra spend on motherboard features could be the difference between a 6-core and an 8-core, or the difference between a 3050 and a 3060?

You're still not getting it. The cost of entry for mITX is too high. That's five posts I've made specifically on that point now and dismissing the budget/entry-level tier is elitist. Just because you and I daily-drive high-end systems doesn't mean that the entry level can be ignored; It's the most important market segment by a country mile.

The fact you're linking a discontinued, old-stock, B450 board for a rather unappealing £117 proves the point wonderfully because B450 boards are £60 if you don't need mITX. Personally I'd try to encourage budget buyers to stretch to an £85 mATX board like the B550-DS3H just to get PCIe 4.0 graphics and NVMe support, faster USB, and guaranteed BIOS support for the current AM4 chips without the risks of a beta BIOS or hoping that the motherboard vendor updates their 6-year-old boards for 2024 CPU launches. To me, that's £25 well spent...

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
Why do people need a "good board" at twice the entry-level price for a budget build when the unnecessary extra spend on motherboard features could be the difference between a 6-core and an 8-core, or the difference between a 3050 and a 3060?

You're still not getting it. The cost of entry for mITX is too high. That's five posts I've made specifically on that point now and dismissing the budget/entry-level tier is elitist. Just because you and I daily-drive high-end systems doesn't mean that the entry level can be ignored; It's the most important market segment by a country mile.

The fact you're linking a discontinued, old-stock, B450 board for a rather unappealing £117 proves the point wonderfully because B450 boards are £60 if you don't need mITX. Personally I'd try to encourage budget buyers to stretch to an £85 mATX board like the B550-DS3H just to get PCIe 4.0 graphics and NVMe support, faster USB, and guaranteed BIOS support for the current AM4 chips without the risks of a beta BIOS or hoping that the motherboard vendor updates their 6-year-old boards for 2024 CPU launches. To me, that's £25 well spent...
No, it's not.

miniITX is a premium form factor. As you've pointed out, the budget tier is mATX, noone "needs" ITX, and there's nothing wrong with that. The ITX boards have to use more complex designs to fit the same amount of components in less physical space, while retaining good signal integrity/power delivery and still cool them. Same reason gaming laptops are more expensive than gaming desktops, for the same performance. You're paying for the form factor.

Get a bigger board that's cheaper and easier for manufacturers to produce due to being both simpler and also manufactured in higher volumes due to greater demand, if £50 extra on a £109.36 motherboard is too much. Or if your budget can't stretch to a good board like the £140 ASRock Z690.

There's nothing elitist about that.

Or, just buy a second hand small office PC and stick a GPU in it. For budget users that's always been the primo option, if £250 for a CPU/RAM/Mobo combo is really too much.

This is essentially a matter of opinion so there's zero use arguing about it.

ir_cow

Staff member
I got the Gene because I want to test 8000+ and it will do that for the next CPUs as well.

I have a feeling the IMC will only inch up to 6600-6800 UCLK (1:1) for this 9000 series.

Someone on eBay is seller a whole pallet worth. Only 6 left.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
No, it's not.

miniITX is a premium form factor. As you've pointed out, the budget tier is mATX, noone "needs" ITX, and there's nothing wrong with that. The ITX boards have to use more complex designs to fit the same amount of components in less physical space, while retaining good signal integrity/power delivery and still cool them. Same reason gaming laptops are more expensive than gaming desktops, for the same performance. You're paying for the form factor.

Get a bigger board that's cheaper and easier for manufacturers to produce due to being both simpler and also manufactured in higher volumes due to greater demand, if £50 extra on a £109.36 motherboard is too much. Or if your budget can't stretch to a good board like the £140 ASRock Z690.

There's nothing elitist about that.

Or, just buy a second hand small office PC and stick a GPU in it. For budget users that's always been the primo option, if £250 for a CPU/RAM/Mobo combo is really too much.

This is essentially a matter of opinion so there's zero use arguing about it.
Ah, I see. You've decided that ITX should be premium so that's the end of the discussion and everyone else's side of the discussion is invalid because it's only an opinion. "Nothing elitist about that" he says from his gold-plated throne atop Mt. Privilege!

It's not opinion. I can tell you now that 6-7 years ago the mITX premium was way smaller than it is now. mITX boards suddenly got expensive after AM4, round about when Coffee Lake was arriving on the scene. I used to build shoebox PCs in Silverstone Sugo cases and up until Skylake the cost premium was insignificant, close to nil if you got lucky with a board or case on sale - and the decision to go super-small with SFX PSU restrictions being easily the single contributor to a price premium. The last time mITX was around the same price as normal ATX/mATX build was back in the B350 era of 1st-gen Ryzens.

Also, if compact boards are so expensive to make, why do Dell, HP, Lenovo all make puny little mITX SFFs with everything crammed into one tiny board for less than their mATX mini-tower variants of the same exact spec? Take the Optiplex 7010, for example i5-13500, 16GB, 256GB drive and apart from the fact that the mITX version uses the 13500T with a reduced TDP, it's £569 vs £772 for the mATX mini tower. That's a huge cost saving that shouldn't exist if mITX is supposed to be the premium option from manufacturing complexities.

Your statement has holes, the reasoning seems flawed, and it ignores historical evidence. Even if you say you're not being dismissive, you are being dismissive. If you don't know why mITX got expensive, then just say that, or at least put forward a hypothesis that isn't "stop being poor, just spend more money".

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Ah, I see. You've decided that ITX should be premium so that's the end of the discussion and everyone else's side of the discussion is invalid because it's only an opinion. "Nothing elitist about that" he says from his gold-plated throne atop Mt. Privilege!

It's not opinion. I can tell you now that 6-7 years ago the mITX premium was way smaller than it is now. mITX boards suddenly got expensive after AM4, round about when Coffee Lake was arriving on the scene. I used to build shoebox PCs in Silverstone Sugo cases and up until Skylake the cost premium was insignificant, close to nil if you got lucky with a board or case on sale - and the decision to go super-small with SFX PSU restrictions being easily the single contributor to a price premium. The last time mITX was around the same price as normal ATX/mATX build was back in the B350 era of 1st-gen Ryzens.

Also, if compact boards are so expensive to make, why do Dell, HP, Lenovo all make puny little mITX SFFs with everything crammed into one tiny board for less than their mATX mini-tower variants of the same exact spec? Take the Optiplex 7010, for example i5-13500, 16GB, 256GB drive and apart from the fact that the mITX version uses the 13500T with a reduced TDP, it's £569 vs £772 for the mATX mini tower. That's a huge cost saving that shouldn't exist if mITX is supposed to be the premium option from manufacturing complexities.

Your statement has holes, the reasoning seems flawed, and it ignores historical evidence. Even if you say you're not being dismissive, you are being dismissive. If you don't know why mITX got expensive, then just say that, or at least put forward a hypothesis that isn't "stop being poor, just spend more money".
Or buy mATX and don't try and pretend ITX is necessary or even desirable for a budget build, the cases are cheaper, compatibility with cheaper ATX PSUs, easier cooling, you're entirely misrepresenting much of what I'm saying and projecting quite a bit. I haven't decided ITX should be premium, it's an observation of reality. Noone really cares about ITX except enthusiasts that want to make a smaller build, or those who want to make a media PC, who'd likely be better off with a NUC, or a mATX board with lots of room for SATA ports for budget bulk storage (my ITX board only has room for two SATA connections). Ask your average budget gamer "is a tiny PC your priority or do you want something big enough that it's easy to build in for a newbie, and doesn't require special power supplies and other components like cooling?" I know what they'd likely answer. There's no real practical advantage or "need" for the form factor, beyond some enthusiast details such as it being nice to get relatively cheap 1DPC boards instead of paying £600+ for special memory overclocking ATX boards, and the tiny cases being aesthetically pleasing and convenient to have on your desk, like this Corsair case, but those points also apply to mATX. This isn't elitism, it's just observation. The priority of a budget gamer shouldn't be fancy form factors, it should be getting the most bang for their buck. Good thing there's some great and cheap mATX options then.

Boards suddenly got more expensive after AM4 because suddenly eight core CPUs and i9s that could draw 300 W+ of power became the norm, and even entry level/mid range builds got a lot more cores, along with a lot of other features and bandwidth advances becoming standard.

In the Skylake era you're referring to, the top tier Intel CPU had four cores with HT, mid range was four cores without HT, and the entry level were dual cores, with PCIe gen 3 which didn't require redrivers and that was only used for the GPU in an ITX board. Now chips have 24 cores at the top tier and 14 at the mid range. Entry level chips have six cores. Storage used to be a few low bandwidth 600 MB/s SATA ports that the chipset could handle, maybe with a single M.2 slot that was likely also SATA. Now it's multiple M.2 PCIe slots (that also happen to physically take significantly more space on boards than a SATA port) that need to handle upwards of 14 GB/s, or half that for Gen 4 boards. RAM topped out around 3200 MT DDR4, not 8000 MT DDR5. IO was a simple mix of USB 2 and 3.0 type A. None of this high bandwidth multi role active cable, power delivery, type C/USB4 stuff we see today. No advanced PCIe signalling or heavily shielded traces with redrivers, nor many layer motherboards needed for signal integrity with all this bandwidth flying around. Chipsets were small, low power, low bandwidth single chip solutions. Now? My own ITX board literally moved the audio chipset, BIOS/reset buttons and two USB ports to a desktop solution connected by a long USB cable, because there was no space for it on the motherboard. My second M.2 slot is in a vertical riser daughter PCB with the dual chipset design having two mini fans and circuitry going into 3D space with triple stacked riser cards/heatsinks and pin connections etc. My first M.2 is on the backside of the board, which also has a heatsink and a backplate to deal with the heat from a small VRM with physically fewer power stages than larger boards, but compensating with higher ampage rating parts designed to power an overclocked 16 core chip. Half of my fan/RGB connections and all of my SATA ports (all two of them) are on another vertical daughter PCB. Motherboards in general have gotten more expensive because they're more complex, and special form factor boards are no exception. In fact I'd argue that the tiny boards like ITX, even extending to smartphones and laptops with their stacked motherboard designs, are more complex than bigger boards with equivalent specs.

Does this Optiplex 7010 you're using as an example have a good VRM (to handle something more than a 13500T 35 watt office CPU, which is a lower TDP than the CPU of even a budget gaming laptop)? Good IO? High bandwidth PCIe ports? Lots of M.2 connectivity? A decent audio solution? Modern IO such as USB4/TB4? Support for RAM in excess of 7000MT? Does it even have any PCIe slots? Or is it another mass produced (read my earlier comment about economies of scale) board designed around the bare minimum tier parts, probably with something like a 150 W PSU with a non standard design? Because that is what office grade PCs generally are.

I don't know how or why any of this is controversial or elitist. They're just observations. More and more features have been added with each platform generation, and there's only so much space on a standard ITX form factor board. I suspect this is why the IMPACT series that was previously discussed moved to miniDTX.

I got the Gene because I want to test 8000+ and it will do that for the next CPUs as well.

I have a feeling the IMC will only inch up to 6600-6800 UCLK (1:1) for this 9000 series.

Someone on eBay is seller a whole pallet worth. Only 6 left.
I hope so, but AMD had to change the MC/IF gear ratio to 3:2 though just to get RAM working at low DDR5 speeds (compared to Intel), the Zen 4/AM5 IF isn't really clocked much higher (if at all, IF 2000 MHz, RAM 2000 MHz/4000 MT was possible on Zen 3, I ran that for about a year) than it was on Zen 3 with DDR4, and Zen/AM5 isn't moving to a revised IO/Chiplet design till Zen 6 which will use an active interposer, allowing for much higher frequencies.

Currently the sweet spot for Zen 4 is 2000 MHz Infinity Fabric and 3000 MHz/6000 MT RAM, which is no better than a good Zen 3 chip could do, besides the RAM being out of sync.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the "sweet spot" for Zen 5 was only conservatively bumped up to 3100 MHz 6200 MT RAM/2066 IF. That would be in line with the ~100 MHz IF jump from the sweetspot 3800 MT RAM/1900 IF Zen 3 had to Zen 4.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Jesus, how did you get approved to become TPU staff? Your level of dismissive, closed-minded elitism is off the charts!
Or buy mATX and don't try and pretend ITX is necessary or even desirable for a budget build, the cases are cheaper, compatibility with cheaper ATX PSUs, easier cooling, you're entirely misrepresenting much of what I'm saying and projecting quite a bit. I haven't decided ITX should be premium, it's an observation of reality.
Small is desirable. If price wasn't a barrier I think most people would prefer a smaller PC than a large PC if it was an option. There are cheap mITX cases, with ATX PSU support, adequate cooling for a 65W CPU, even using an included stock cooler. ITX wasn't a significant premium in the DIY space a few years ago, and it still isn't a premium in the OEM prebuilt space today. Your observation of reality is short-sighted if you're ignoring the millions who buy laptops because a desktop is too big, the rise of APU-powered thin-clients as standalones (NUC, Minsforum, Bric, ZBox etc) and all the previous mITX builds that were common on the market prior to PCIe Gen4, I guess.
Noone really cares about ITX except enthusiasts that want to make a smaller build, or those who want to make a media PC, who'd likely be better off with a NUC, or a mATX board with lots of room for SATA ports for budget bulk storage (my ITX board only has room for two SATA connections). Ask your average budget gamer "is a tiny PC your priority or do you want something big enough that it's easy to build in for a newbie, and doesn't require special power supplies and other components like cooling?"
Can you hear yourself? Why do you think laptops have surged in popularity over the last decade? I'd wager a good portion of them are bought for kids bedrooms and makeshift offices in a corner of a room and plugged in never to be moved from that spot, simply because they don't take up as much space. I've recommended people buy laptops more recently because small PCs are too expensive, and you must be living under a rock or not involved with typical IT support if you've never had someone ask you what the smallest cheap PC is they can get. "Easy to build in" is subjective, but basic mITX builds don't require much more skill than mATX when they use standard ATX parts. There are plenty of guides and vlogs of such builds all over YouTube proving it's not an the barrier to entry you think it is. I can be sure that a Ryzen 7500F and an RTX4060, or even an old 5700G is going to be a better entry-level system that'll outlast a similarly-priced laptop or prebuilt SFF whilst also allowing upgrades - but currently the entry point to those builds is mATX that will likely have two empty DIMM slots, three empty PCIe slots, 3-6 unused SATA ports and be in a case containing enough empty space to fit a whole SFF into it when done!
Boards suddenly got more expensive after AM4 because suddenly eight core CPUs and i9s that could draw 300 W+ of power became the norm.... <snip>
Your wall of text shows that you fails to see anything in mITX apart from the difficulties and costs of trying to squeeze a flagship DIY enthusiast list of board features into a small package. Yes, that's why those boards are expensive but guess what, most builds, even in the DIY sector, need just one GPU and one drive, though a second M.2 or SATA ports don't hurt. An H610 or A620 board and chipset doesn't have this laundry list of expensive-to-fit-into-mITX features, and it doesn't need VRMs capable of pushing a 300W flagship CPU. They don't need to try and squeeze 28 PCIe lanes at up to Gen5 into a low-end build. 8-16 PCIe 4.0 lanes is fine for a budget GPU, thow in 4 more for NVMe and that's it. The best budget CPUs in just about any guide/review/roundup are all 65W chips. Graphics cards under £250 are low-power, compact, and largely using just 8 lanes.

Honestly, you're still taking the stance of defending mITX as a premium product from the perspective of high-end builds, which wasn't my original point and here I am on post number six still trying to defend my original point that motherboard manufacturers have needlessly abandoned the lower end of the mITX market. When Silverstone, CoolerMaster, Thermaltake et Al have been offering low-cost mITX cases for eons, and we're starting to see some nicer mid-range cases like this 2000D that aren't N-Case M1 or premium small-batch pricing, there's a distinct lack of options to put in them.

Last edited:

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Small is desirable. If price wasn't a barrier I think most people would prefer a smaller PC than a large PC if it was an option. There are cheap mITX cases, with ATX PSU support, adequate cooling for a 65W CPU, even using an included stock cooler. ITX wasn't a significant premium in the DIY space a few years ago, and it still isn't a premium in the OEM prebuilt space today. Your observation of reality is short-sighted if you're ignoring the millions who buy laptops because a desktop is too big, the rise of APU-powered thin-clients as standalones (NUC, Minsforum, Bric, ZBox etc) and all the previous mITX builds that were common on the market prior to PCIe Gen4, I guess.

Can you hear yourself? Why do you think laptops have surged in popularity over the last decade? I'd wager a good portion of them are bought for kids bedrooms and makeshift offices in a corner of a room and plugged in never to be moved from that spot, simply because they don't take up as much space. I've recommended people buy laptops more recently because small PCs are too expensive, and you must be living under a rock or not involved with typical IT support if you've never had someone ask you what the smallest cheap PC is they can get. Easy to build in is subjective, but basic mITX builds don't require much more skill than mATX when they use standard ATX parts. There are plenty of guides and vlogs of such builds all over YouTube proving it's not an the barrier to entry you think it is.
Or buy mATX and don't try and pretend ITX is necessary or even desirable for a budget build, the cases are cheaper, compatibility with cheaper ATX PSUs, easier cooling, you're entirely misrepresenting much of what I'm saying and projecting quite a bit. I haven't decided ITX should be premium, it's an observation of reality.

Get a bigger board that's cheaper and easier for manufacturers to produce due to being both simpler and also manufactured in higher volumes due to greater demand.
So. You're able to acknowledge that mini ITX is a desirable form factor, and understand that mini ITX boards cost more, but can't make the connection?

An H610 or A620 board and chipset doesn't have this laundry list of expensive-to-fit-into-mITX features,
And they are relatively cheap to boot. Someone who buys one of those forgoes much of the advantages of building a PC, ie future upgradability. They can't slap in a cheap top tier CPU from their platform five years down the line, because the board will throttle/melt. Anything beyond mid range storage, connectivity and GPU, including entry level GPUs of the future, may throttle. E.g. The issues many people had with x8 electrically wired entry level cards when they were on PCIe gen 3 boards.

What you pay is what you get.

If you want extremely cheap boards (I'm emphasising extremely here ie sub £75 boards, because in my opinion, there's good budget options for mini ITX that I've already given as examples in previous posts, but you don't seem to agree) you don't get to pick fancy features like ultra compact builds. This is true for all platforms, and I've already touched on this with a previous post. For the same performance/features, you pay more for small. "Ultrabooks" cost more than normal laptops. The Macbook air costs more than a similarly performing larger laptop. Gaming laptops cost more than gaming desktops with the same performance. NUCs cost more than mini ITX, mini ITX costs more than micro ATX. Noticing a trend? At least you can still build in cheap micro ATX, which has form factor platform advantages for the budget minded I touched on already, but you seem to prefer mocking me rather than acknowledging these points.

Jesus, how did you get approved to become TPU staff? Your level of dismissive, closed-minded elitism is off the charts!
I'm sure you're capable of writing your points and interacting with people who don't share your beliefs without irrelevant name calling.

Regardless, we're getting caught up in discussion that's borderline irrelevant to the lovely case being reviewed here. Let's keep future posts talking about the case and it's features.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
So. You're able to acknowledge that mini ITX is a desirable form factor, and understand that mini ITX boards cost more, but can't make the connection?
My entire point is the complaint that mITX boards cost too much, and that the additional cost of mITX is a needlessly artificial one caused by trying to squeeze unnecessary features into a form factor they don't belong in.
They can't slap in a cheap top tier CPU from their platform five years down the line, because the board will throttle/melt. Anything beyond mid range storage and GPU, including entry GPUs of the future, may throttle. E.g. The issues many people had with x8 electrically wired entry level cards when they were on PCIe gen 3 boards.
One-side, elitist, narrow-minded nonsense! How can you be so completely ignorant of the options?!!

You can replace an old 65W AM4 CPU with a new, vastly superior AM4 CPU. I did that for a B350 build just before Christmas, replacing a Ryzen5 1600 with a 5700X and reusing the original cooler. Their 120W GTX1060 was replaced with a 120W RTX 4060. I also added a 2TB NVMe drive because they were still using a SATA SSD. Literally my only concern is that the 650W PSU is now 7 years old, though it did have a 7 year warranty and they were happy to gamble on it to save £100.
I'm sure you're capable of writing your points and interacting with people who don't share your beliefs without irrelevant name calling.
I'm saying what I see. I'm far from the first person here to call you out on stubborn, closed-minded, one-sidedness when the point of a forum is open-minded discussion and consideration of all angles. If it was just me saying it, perhaps you could just chalk it up to me being cranky and having a different opinion, but I've seen so many threads like this with you that as you I'd be wondering why it keeps happening....

All of this started because you refuse to accept that the motherboard vendors have abandoned the low-end mITX market without good reason, and that everyone should be spending up for the latest and greatest headline features, regardless of whether they actually need or want them.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
My entire point is the complaint that mITX boards cost too much, and that the additional cost of mITX is a needlessly artificial one caused by trying to squeeze unnecessary features into a form factor they don't belong in.

One-side, elitist, narrow-minded nonsense! How can you be so completely ignorant of the options?!!

You can replace an old 65W AM4 CPU with a new, vastly superior AM4 CPU. I did that for a B350 build just before Christmas, replacing a Ryzen5 1600 with a 5700X and reusing the original cooler. Their 120W GTX1060 was replaced with a 120W RTX 4060. I also added a 2TB NVMe drive because they were still using a SATA SSD. Literally my only concern is that the 650W PSU is now 7 years old, though it did have a 7 year warranty and they were happy to gamble on it to save £100.

I'm saying what I see. I'm far from the first person here to call you out on stubborn, closed-minded, one-sidedness when the point of a forum is open-minded discussion and consideration of all angles. If it was just me saying it, perhaps you could just chalk it up to me being cranky and having a different opinion, but I've seen so many threads like this with you that as you I'd be wondering why it keeps happening....

All of this started because you refuse to accept that the motherboard vendors have abandoned the low-end mITX market without good reason, and that everyone should be spending up for the latest and greatest headline features, regardless of whether they actually need or want them.
Low volume is without good reason? OEMs build things that sell, if there was truly so much demand for extremely cheap entry level ITX as you're claiming, more options would be available so that profits could be made through high volume sales. But the reality is, as W1z has mentioned in many previous hardware reviews, buying a console is probably a better investment than a sub £400 PC that isn't a laptop (which benefit from high volume production and associated economies of scale). Or a prebuilt and putting a GPU in it. PC building as a hobby is getting more expensive.

I mentioned a cheap AM4 build as a budget ITX option, and a slightly more expensive but still cheap LGA-1700 DDR4 option, since people with that budget have no need (or budget) for DDR5/PCIe 5 anyway, yet you immediately dismissed it. You're locking yourself into a specific set of restrictions, current gen, ITX, sub £75 board, then complaining no good options exist, while choosing to ignore fantastic options for performance at that price point that don't fit that specific criteria, but slightly less demanding spec, ie micro ATX.

You state "discussion and consideration of all angles" but aren't able to accept that applies to angles you perhaps disagree with? If someone makes a compelling argument that's realistic, I consider it. But much "discussion" is just herd mentality, with people reinforcing each other's bias and repeating things they read elsewhere, without much actual understanding of the topic. So you'll have to forgive me for choosing to disregard that.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
I mentioned a cheap AM4 build as a budget ITX option, and a slightly more expensive but still cheap LGA-1700 DDR4 option, since people with that budget have no need (or budget) for DDR5/PCIe 5 anyway, yet you immediately dismissed it.
Discontinued B450 boards that only support 4-year old CPUs through the good grace of beta-BIOSes isn't what I'd call a valid new build in 2024.
That's why I dismissed it; Current gen is AM5/LGA1700 and there are many highly-recommended low-cost CPUs for those platforms such as the R5 7500F/7600, i5-10600KF etc.

My "specific set of restrictions" is something you've injected without me really pinning it down, other than "cheap". I don't care what the options are, but the fact you can get modern mATX boards cheap with basic chipsets that are ideal for mITX SFF builds, and yet no mITX motherboards with those chipsets exist - that is my original point that I'm defending here.

No current-gen GPU exists from AMD or Nvidia for less than £400 that requires 16 lanes.
No budget build needs PCIe 5.0 storage
No gaming build needs more than one GPU.

If dropping 8 lanes and PCIe 5.0 is what it takes to make a cheap mITX board, then why aren't motherboard manufacturers doing that? They make laptops where PCIe 4.0 and 8-lanes are the norm, even north of the £2000 price point. Some of their laptops with the exact same lane/gen specs sell for ridiculously low sub-£400 price points and obviously have far more cramped internals than any mITX board. I'm suggesting that density at low cost is very much a solved problem and that manufacturers are therefore choosing to drop mITX.

Last edited:

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Discontinued B450 boards that only support 4-year old CPUs through the good grace of beta-BIOSes isn't what I'd call a valid new build in 2024.
That's why I dismissed it; Current gen is AM5/LGA1700 and there are many highly-recommended low-cost CPUs for those platforms such as the R5 7500F/7600, i5-10600KF etc.
The low cost of the CPU is kind of irrelevant if DDR5 and a (not cheap) motherboard is required.
The 10600KF is not current gen, perhaps you mean the 12600KF? Again not current gen, but current socket, so I could see what you mean there.
My "specific set of restrictions" is something you've injected without me really pinning it down, other than "cheap". I don't care what the options are, but the fact you can get modern mATX boards cheap with basic chipsets that are ideal for mITX SFF builds, and yet no mITX motherboards with those chipsets exist - that is my original point that I'm defending here.
I mean, you've pinned it down pretty clearly, i'm not "injecting" anything, you want current gen, miniITX, £100/140 is too expensive, and you've made specific examples referencing mATX while noting price points. Ergo -
You're locking yourself into a specific set of restrictions, current gen, ITX, sub £75 board
Is not me projecting. It's an accurate reflection of your own statements.
No current-gen GPU exists from AMD or Nvidia for less than £400 that requires 16 lanes.
OK
No budget build needs PCIe 5.0 storage
Agreed
No gaming build needs more than one GPU.
Also agreed, I stated this last page. SLI is dead. ITX/mATX are desirable form factors because they ditch a lot of the legacy compatibility for use cases that don't exist anymore.
If dropping 8 lanes and PCIe 5.0 is what it takes to make a cheap mITX board, then why aren't motherboard manufacturers doing that? They make laptops where PCIe 4.0 and 8-lanes are the norm, even north of the £2000 price point. Some of their laptops with the exact same lane/gen specs sell for ridiculously low sub-£400 price points and obviously have far more cramped internals than any mITX board. I'm suggesting that density at low cost is very much a solved problem and that manufacturers are therefore choosing to drop mITX.
Because dropping 8 lanes and limiting to PCIe 4.0 gives you PCIe 3.0 x16 bandwidth, and forces use of PCIe 4.0 GPUs, but only the ones that use 8 lanes or fewer, off the top of my head I can think of only three GPUs that support this, none of which are particularly good value, and in fact all were/are criticised heavily by people on this very forum for being cut down, bad value and incompatible with older generation platforms. This is an extremely specific use case (somewhat contrary to the benefits of building a PC, modularity, expandability, flexibility etc) and at this point you're better off with going with a laptop, which typically have their GPU connected via x8 anyway, as you've stated, come with a keyboard/screen/OS, and benefit from economies of scale.

On the topic of you ignoring economies of scale, those laptops, consoles and phones, which are the vast majority of gaming system sales, are subsidised massively by their scale, so you can't jump to conclusions "Dell made a cheap 35 W business optiplex so clearly its cheap and easy to make a small board" or "laptops are popular so why can't ITX be cheap". You're ignoring the fact that both laptops and business desktops have huge markets, so it's worthwhile for manufacturers to mass produce specialist designs that fit niches. Consoles in particular benefit from a locked garden approach, you can't pirate games (and play online), you're locked into their ecosystem. What I said in my earlier posts -
Get a bigger board that's cheaper and easier for manufacturers to produce due to being both simpler and also manufactured in higher volumes due to greater demand
Low volume is without good reason? OEMs build things that sell, if there was truly so much demand for extremely cheap entry level ITX as you're claiming, more options would be available so that profits could be made through high volume sales.
The very low budget minded builder (I'm specifying this because I don't believe someone who can't pay £1-150 for a motherboard has a normal budget) who wants the latest platform (somewhat conflicting profile here) isn't limited to huge full tower case ATX builds. They can build in any of the sub 20 L mATX cases that exist. Form factors, demand for products, and sales figures dictate prices, it's not just cost of components. Otherwise why not go ask Apple/NVIDIA why their phone/GPU which has BOM cost somewhere around £400 for their £1.5k iphones/4090s don't cost £600 instead, with £200 profit/contribution towards R&D. But it's not that simple.

If you want OEMs to go to the trouble of producing a good selection of super cheap current gen platform ITX motherboards that don't have ridiculous compromises to make the price possible, then I guess the community needs to make some noise as a whole asking for them. Because from what I can tell, not many people bought and built in these sub £75 ITX boards you're referring to, and even mATX isn't that popular. I strongly disagree with the notion that a £100-150 motherboard is unaffordable for the mainstream, or unpopular. The vast majority of prebuilt PCs I see advertised, or DIY builds I see use a motherboard in this price range.

I guess it circles back to the matter of opinion (you believe there's no reason why super cheap ITX boards can't exist, I disagree) which I already mentioned is kind of pointless to argue about earlier.