• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPanel disk usage doesn't match size of my website (Filezilla)

System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
One of my websites is very basic indeed, with ten pages and about 50 images (average size 50-150KB) and I'm moving it to a new hosting plan with Godaddy next month. It's the one with unlimited domain hosting, to save money on multiple hosting plans.
Anyway, when I last did this, I simply downloaded a copy of the public_html directory, installed WPress and then uploaded that copy to the new hosting plan, overwriting the new files and editing certain config files to point to the right database etc. That all worked out fine last time with my other site.
The thing is, my public_html disk usage in CPanel (and a Wordpress plugin called Disk usage) is showing around 258MB, but when I download via FTP on Filezilla, it's showing a queue of around 1.7GB, even though I make a habit of deleting server-side backups once I've downloaded them and also by deleting unused or duplicate images.
I don't understand this at all, especially since the FTP download is taking forever. What would the simplest way of discovering the actual size of the public_html folder of a website?
I'm pretty sure that it can't be 1.7GB in my case.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Is it real CPanel and not godaddy's gimped knockoff? Godaddy is Nodaddy for anything. Terrible account control panel, they lie about usage, manipulate data to use against you, and do various file limitations to "unlimited" users like limit entry processes to something like 20 or even AS LOW AS 5!!! Try using a CMS that's not wordpress or joomla and it will fail and max and exceed your entry processes. Add more plugins and it will catastrophically crash. I had one of my sites (remixedcat.com) on there for a couple-three months and would hit tons of limits constantly. Switched to azure, than a private provider... Much better deal.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Maybe it's an issue with wordpress & caching? Had a similar issue on Digitalocean a few years back: clean ubuntu+PMA & WP worked fine until a few months later my disk space usage spiked and additionally I'd start getting daily RAM errors (mariaDB was allocating too much stuff and my blog was constantly down). Spent a few days reconfiguring PMA, disabling caching and optimizing memory footprint only to find out that WP itself was at fault.

System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
After several retries, the correct folder size appeared in Filezilla - less than 300MB - which was correct, so I've no idea where the 1.7GB came from.
Yes, it's probably a Godaddy-style CPanel and I'm on the so-called shared deluxe Linux hosting. I must say that I've really had no problems with their version of CPanel.
disk-usage.jpg

I've been with Godaddy for more than ten years and I've learned that the account set up can be very sneaky, especially in terms of renewals which will activate automatically if you don't disable auto-renew.
But at first glance, that aspect isn't very clear at all. I've now set all my products to cancel on X date, so that I can renew them manually. I've had instances where my PayPal account has been debited automatically, but that's partly because that's an option in PayPal itself.
Godaddy's chat operatives are always very eager to sell you more and take your money, but I'm aware of that and don't fall for their bs.
I also had an incident where CPU and RAM usage were hitting 100%, making each of my sites impossible to load. It was only by sheer accident that I managed to solve it - oddly enough by changing my CPanel passwords - something which Godaddy could offer no explanation for.
There was also an incident where they inserted a snippet of Javascript (Real User Metrics) without anyone's knowledge, slowing everything down. They later rescinded this policy, makinbg the default to OPT-IN rather than OPT-OUT.
On the whole, though, I've managed to work through the problems with them and currently, for my uses, they satisfy my needs. I am, however, always on the lookout for a new host, based on price/speed.

Last edited:
System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
I use NDC Host: https://www.ndchost.com/

I've got no complaints at all and I've recommended them for years to others. I pay for a .CA account about $79USD per year. .com will be cheaper or if you got the domain already.