• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Davinci Resolve questions

Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 5700X
Motherboard ASRock B450M Pro4-F R2.0
Cooling Arctic Freezer A35
Memory Lexar Thor 32GB 3733Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) PURE AMD Radeon™ RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage Lexar NM790 2TB + Lexar NS100 2TB
Display(s) HP X34 UltraWide IPS 165Hz
Case XPG Starker AIR
Audio Device(s) Airpulse SM200 + Volt 1 + Rode NT1 SS
Power Supply Cougar GEX 750
Mouse Cooler Master MM730
Keyboard Krux Atax PRO Gateron Yellow
Software Windows 10 Pro
Hi, i have question does Davinci Resolve 18 supports AV1 files by default. For example Magix Vegas Pro 21 does not support AV1....

Second is Davinci Resolve more complex to learn if compared to Vegas ? I tried adobe premiere once and it's very complex to learn didn't like it at all....

Magix Vegas supports whatever your computer has been configured to support. If you're having trouble with AV1, its because you (likely) haven't installed the appropriate AV1 codecs.

In any case, reading completed files like AV1 or H.264 / H.265 is a bad idea for frame-precision in my experience. I prefer to cut out the video into a frame-by-frame form (such as YUV UTVideo) using external tools, yeah they take up TBs of space in this form but you'll get much more reliability / consistent reading when all frames are fully defined. (AV1 / H.264 / H.265 are compressed in time, ie Frame#10 is "built up" from Frame#5, 6, 7, 8, and 9, called I-frames, P-frames, and B-frames)

I've never used Davinci Resolve though, so good luck with that. Isn't it a free download? You might as well just give it a shot.

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
Davinci Resove through DR16 was very intuitive and easy to learn. I don't have any experience with the later versions.

Not sure if it is any better or worse than Vegas. It is a cinema-grade editor, so it is full-featured; lots to learn. I found it easier than Adobe Premiere.

I am sure that DaVinci Resove does support AV1. It may require the Pro version - I have never tried AV1 personally, but I have noticed some mention of AV1 in the documentation.

DaVinci Resolve has a steep learning curve. kdenlive is easier and you can use it for complicated editing.
Shotcut will let you do the basic video editing tasks relatively easily as well.
You can add clips to a timeline and edit them. You can add filters and effects and you can add many effects to a piece of video.