• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DMAS Design [SPDIF-Optical]

Here is an interesting question I find difficult to answer myself. Going along the lines of a 32 bit float amp (PCM, software processing) and a CPU as the processor.
A 32 bit float amp can amplify up to 1,528 dB, which is insane, it should also be lossless amplification, far beyond any hardware amp.

How much THD, THD+N will the CPU add to the PCM audio (digital) during processing?

====

Currently you can send a sound system 144 dB (24 bit), but you will still need to add power (analogue style) to get something like 100 dB SPL output.
A 1:1 PowerDAC can accept 32 bit float input, then attenuate to meet its maximum power output, lets says 120 dB SPL, no amp.

The DMAS main unit is still the amp, so in this case, we input a 80 dB signal, then amplify to 100 dB (32 bit float).

----

Volume management can be a set decibel rather than random indicators, for example setting the volume to 100 dB (constant).
This way both 16 bit and 24 bit can be output at the same decibels, and a constant volume with all inputs.

It might also be worth adding set decibel per input, in case the user requires varying input levels.

====

In addition, all audio processing should be done in 32 bit float, and then attenuated to the set bit depth. This prevents digital clipping, and noise.

For example 144 dB > Sound effects (EQ for example) adds 6 dB, with 24 bit processing it will clip, and audio is lost.
If the processing was 32 bit float, the extra 6 dB is added without clipping or loss, then attenuated.

Low Level Signals: 32-bit Float versus 24-bit - Sound Devices

====

Also don't do a Microsoft and put volume management just before EFX, and allow SFX-MFX to clip (if 24 bit processing or less).

Microsoft Audio.png

Edit, the level meter might be after MFX, but still before volume.
The one after SFX might per app, volume mixer.

Improvement: Master Volume/Per App > SFX > MFX > Level Meter > EFX.

App @ 144 dB > Master 80% (or app specific at 80%, same application point) [144 dB - 20% = 115.2 dB] > SFX|MFX [+ 10 dB = 125.2 dB] > EFX.
NOT: App @ 144 dB > SFX|MFX + 10 dB, clipped 144 dB > Master at 80% [144 dB - 20% = 115.2 dB] > EFX.

Ending the Windows Audio Quality Debate - (ASR) Forum

----

Also note Windows does technically support all digital formats with SPDIF, although you manually have to add them.

With Windows 11, ticking the additional formats will result in, DTS:X HT and Dolby Atmos in formats.
With Windows 10, ticking the additional formats will result in, Dolby Atmos in formats.

SPDIF - Updated Formats.png

Potplayer, using WASAPI Exclusive - Event driven.

====

Reiteration in relation to the last post on page 1, and also SPDIF:

84 GBd (168 Gbit/s) PAM‐4 3.7 Vpp Power DAC in InP DHBT (2015)
An Ultrahigh-Speed Low-Power DAC Using InP HBTs (2010)

Note that TOSLink optical modules are rated in NRZ (PAM 2).

----

Attachments

• 32 bit float.png
    32 bit float.png
    112.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Low CPU Usage.png
    Low CPU Usage.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
DMAS.png

32 bit float starting at the black box after input. Should be rated lossless.
Quality loss point, and main point for THD, THD+N is the speaker.

Optical transfer of the audio makes it immune to the separated power.

The input and output from the DMAS can be compared, and adjusted.

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG-20231229-230613.jpg
    IMG-20231229-230613.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG-20231229-230635.jpg
    IMG-20231229-230635.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG-20231229-231020.jpg
    IMG-20231229-231020.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG-20231229-231046.jpg
    IMG-20231229-231046.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG-20231229-231147.jpg
    IMG-20231229-231147.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Definitely some crosstalk (see here), if I turn off the light circuit from the fuse board (consumer unit), I get no voltage reading from the unconnected cable.
Edit: I asked someone else to turn off the circuit as I was testing, the second it was switched off the reader stopped detecting.

Last edited:
Software crossover (clone and filter) also benefits from 32 bit floating point. In this case 100.4% (L)eft + 100.4% (R)ight, but call it 100% (L) + 100% (R).

Decibels are added, so 60 dB (L) + 60 dB (R) = 120 dB, no problem for 24 bit @ 144 dB, but 80 + 80 = clipping.
If it where able to auto attenuate, because I read EAPO uses 32 bit float, it would not clip.

I also read that Class-D amplifiers use 48 bit fixed point.

Software Crossover.png Class-D.png

----

Two images below, the second image is zoomed in, notice the LFE channel is the loudest.
Note that Audacity captures after SFX, and it seems not after MFX.

Edit: In the second image, the audio has not yet clipped, just beyond the meter.

Attachments

• 65% Volume (32 BF Output).png
    65% Volume (32 BF Output).png
    2.1 MB · Views: 33
  • 100% Volume (32 BF Output).png
    100% Volume (32 BF Output).png
    2 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Sad to see a 2 channel Optical-SPDIF receiver implementation in the scenarios below (images) (ignore the typo G).
Many manufacturers need to update their SPDIF to accept 15+ channels (and all formats).

Dual 8 channel DAC's (pre speaker) to get 16 channels (I guess parallel like my post 1, P-HDA).

SC-95.png
RX-A8A.png

SPDIF has consumer mode and also professional mode.

----

15+ Channel Programmable SPDIF Transmitter (Cypress-Infineon), same 0-15 source-channel setup.

System Name predator helios 300
Processor intel(r) core(tm) i7-7700HQ @ 2.80ghz
Motherboard laptop acer predator helios g3-572
Cooling laptop acer predator helios g3-572
Memory 16gb 2400mhz 2 slots
Video Card(s) nvidia gtx 1060 laptop
Storage internal 237gb hdd internal 931gb hdd external 3tb hdd usb3.0
Display(s) 1 internal laptop 1 hdmi 100hz aoc 27g2g3
Case laptop
Audio Device(s) ultimea posiden d60 (5.1 speakers) hyper cloudx 2 (headphones)
Power Supply laptop
Mouse razer naga trinity v2
Keyboard razer huntsman TKL v2
VR HMD N/A
holly shit dude i wish i knew as much as you did but from what i do know i mainly know about the os not the hardware windows can do alot of crazy formats you just have to make the software see the connection we could very easily make open sorced software to make windows support well danm near anythang the biggest issue is no one has taken the time to try and if they have i havent found it yet iv been looking for any solutions to get windows 10 to output any form of live encoded surround sound i started off useing voicemeeter than got a full 5.1 soundbar with true wireless rear speakers i love it but i dont love my os pcs have to be made with surround sound in mind so then microsoft can supply drivers needed its a dumb process that was made with dolby digital home theater v4 iv looked alot into that application iv found it was made for some laptops and pcs it was made with surround sound in mind thats why if you force it to work on a device it wasnt made for like useing apo drivers you get full bitstreaming support in the advanced tab of the speakers themeselfs because when microsoft made the foundation needed for that to be ran on windows pcs they diddnt make it in mind of everyone only some pcs that had the maker of the pc paid to add thats all they paid to make this so microsoft made a way for theme to adapt theyre software same with dts i think windows diddnt start full surround sound support till vista with directsound (in the os ) soundcards supported it but thats extra hardware lets take my pc i have a acer predator helios 300 laptop it can support full dolby atmos due to haveing a gtx1060 gpu hdmi 2.1 the only issue? it wasnt made with that in mind so thangs that we need for optical like bitstreaming were not added into my actual pc which is why i need the apo drivers to actually make the software see my hardware now we could use this methiod how dolby added there tech into windows but we cant use all or most of it without exploits the main thang we need more than anythang is 1 simple easy to use driver that actually scans the audio device to see what it can do and make a way for users to edit the software so if it dosent work they can make it see a 5.1 or 7.1 connection again my laptop cant see 5.1 or 7.1 over hdmi without modifications made but with these moditifcations i can get even dolby atmos for home theater out of my hdmi port my hdmi port cannot see what formats the tv can support nor can it for any device i made it do that

holly shit dude i wish i knew as much as you did but from what i do know i mainly know about the os not the hardware windows can do alot of crazy formats you just have to make the software see the connection we could very easily make open sorced software to make windows support well danm near anythang the biggest issue is no one has taken the time to try and if they have i havent found it yet iv been looking for any solutions to get windows 10 to output any form of live encoded surround sound i started off useing voicemeeter than got a full 5.1 soundbar with true wireless rear speakers i love it but i dont love my os pcs have to be made with surround sound in mind so then microsoft can supply drivers needed its a dumb process that was made with dolby digital home theater v4 iv looked alot into that application iv found it was made for some laptops and pcs it was made with surround sound in mind thats why if you force it to work on a device it wasnt made for like useing apo drivers you get full bitstreaming support in the advanced tab of the speakers themeselfs because when microsoft made the foundation needed for that to be ran on windows pcs they diddnt make it in mind of everyone only some pcs that had the maker of the pc paid to add thats all they paid to make this so microsoft made a way for theme to adapt theyre software same with dts i think windows diddnt start full surround sound support till vista with directsound (in the os ) soundcards supported it but thats extra hardware lets take my pc i have a acer predator helios 300 laptop it can support full dolby atmos due to haveing a gtx1060 gpu hdmi 2.1 the only issue? it wasnt made with that in mind so thangs that we need for optical like bitstreaming were not added into my actual pc which is why i need the apo drivers to actually make the software see my hardware now we could use this methiod how dolby added there tech into windows but we cant use all or most of it without exploits the main thang we need more than anythang is 1 simple easy to use driver that actually scans the audio device to see what it can do and make a way for users to edit the software so if it dosent work they can make it see a 5.1 or 7.1 connection again my laptop cant see 5.1 or 7.1 over hdmi without modifications made but with these moditifcations i can get even dolby atmos for home theater out of my hdmi port my hdmi port cannot see what formats the tv can support nor can it for any device i made it do that
if u find anyone who wants to make a driver like this i would love to help iv been wanting to get more into this world but not enough documintation online for me to go on

A software encoder on SPDIF is not specifically Microsoft, that's down to the driver provider, since the driver adds the software DSP (APO). The same for HDMI, although HDMI apps can be store bought.
As far as I can tell, the spatial APO is before SFX in the Windows audio system, so when DTS-Dolby utilize it on HDMI, its also an encoder, but not one they have to install an APO for.

In terms of all the formats being present on SPDIF endpoints by default, that's down to Microsoft, although the way they have done it, it can easily be updated.
In the past, I added the formats to SPDIF with my ALC 889 (I have S1220A now), ticked the boxes then converted it to HDMI.

Realtek SPDIF will have a legacy based 2 channel transmitter, so not much can actually be done, however, the number of supported channels and bits are read by Windows.

----

Legacy passthrough uses a 2 channel stream, current formats use an 8 channel stream. Current SPDIF (not legacy) is 15+.

----

Attachments

• SPDIF -Before.png
    SPDIF -Before.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 26
  • SPDIF - HDMI.png
    SPDIF - HDMI.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 24
  • SPDIF R2.png
    SPDIF R2.png
    230.5 KB · Views: 23
  • SPDIF R2 - TOSLink.png
    SPDIF R2 - TOSLink.png
    156.7 KB · Views: 23
Case laptop
Power Supply laptop
VR HMD N/A
right but for example my spasific apo drivers they allow me to bitstream over usb and translate dolby or dts anythang to pcm or ieee float 5.1 so couldnt we edit windows to renable bitstreaming on anythang it can be carryed by the legacy passthruough due to dolby digital and dts audio

Results of 32 bit [float] amplification, and 32 bit [float] processing (no audio was clipped, lost). 10ms + 10ms round-trip audio buffer latency, nothing more.

EAPO SFX Upmixer.png Sample - Unchanged.png
Sample - Attenuation.png Sample - Result.png
Audacity - Latency.png

----

Only the speaker unit its self requires analogue, up to then, analogue is not essential, or required in the circuit. Power source only, single cable.

----

@nicegirl05, If you are talking about the media player you are using, then you need to change PCM output to a passthrough format, and bitrate.
Else you need to set DirectSound, and enable passthrough in the app, in some cases you may need additional options.

Potplayer.png

Last edited:
Case laptop
Power Supply laptop
VR HMD N/A
Results of 32 bit [float] amplification, and 32 bit [float] processing (no audio was clipped, lost). 10ms + 10ms round-trip audio buffer latency, nothing more.

View attachment 333041 View attachment 333042
View attachment 333043 View attachment 333044
View attachment 333046

----

Only the speaker unit its self requires analogue, up to then, analogue is not essential, or required in the circuit. Power source only, single cable.

----

@nicegirl05, If you are talking about the media player you are using, then you need to change PCM output to a passthrough format, and bitrate.
Else you need to set DirectSound, and enable passthrough in the app, in some cases you may need additional options.

View attachment 333047
what media player do you use i do not have this i have media player classic be because of this it can only do passthrough and bitstreaming over both optical and hdmi i would love to use directsound i do have it enabled system wide for 32bit audio for windows applications someone sent me some eited files i kinda just applied theme and then the person told me what they did XD dumb ik but i have a antivirus so it would have blocked anythang if it was bad

i lied im actually useing direct sound in my media player its defult :)

what media player do you use i do not have this i have media player classic be because of this it can only do passthrough and bitstreaming over both optical and hdmi i would love to use directsound i do have it enabled system wide for 32bit audio for windows applications someone sent me some eited files i kinda just applied theme and then the person told me what they did XD dumb ik but i have a antivirus so it would have blocked anythang if it was bad

but no im talking about haveing a soundcard that can use all of that for windows pcs has a optical and u just plug and play for full 7.1 audio virtual internal or external

but no im talking about haveing a soundcard that can use all of that for windows pcs has a optical and u just plug and play for full 7.1 audio virtual internal or external
it is possible we have apo drivers doing it so can we simplyfy the process for anyone?

Note, most TOSLink cables are not properly rated, most will do around 10-12 Mbps, possibly less. If you are looking for quality cables look for some sort of rating.
Ideally look for 125 Mbps, this means the cable has been tested on a 125 Mbps TOSLink module, alternatively look for lossless formats.

The revision changes would really benefit from a version number like HDMI, USB, and so on, still nothing I can do.

[Vivanco PRE TT12] - TOSLink 1.2M - 125 Mbps | [Mediabridge] - TOSLink [X]M - 125 Mbps

----

Possibility: Kenable PRO Chrome (aka Black), available up to 20m APF.

----

The last thing you want to do when building a DMAS would be using for example, a 15 Mpbs module, and 12 Mbps cable, and test 25 Mbps.
Sound card manufacturers will also need to include the updated 15+ SPDIF transmitter and use a 125 Mbps module.

Since HDA is limited to ~37 Mbps, use USB to SPDIF for maximum available bandwidth, throughput.

HDA/USB > SPDIF (R2/V2) > Output method (TOSLink, HDMI, USB, FireWire, Wireless).

Last edited:
Case laptop
Power Supply laptop
VR HMD N/A
Note, most TOSLink cables are not properly rated, most will do around 10-12 Mbps, possibly less. If you are looking for quality cables look for some sort of rating.
Ideally look for 125 Mbps, this means the cable has been tested on a 125 Mbps TOSLink module, alternatively look for lossless formats.

The revision changes would really benefit from a version number like HDMI, USB, and so on, still nothing I can do.

[Vivanco PRE TT12] - TOSLink 1.2M - 125 Mbps | [Mediabridge] - TOSLink [X]M - 125 Mbps

----

Possibility: Kenable PRO Chrome (aka Black), available up to 20m APF.

----

The last thing you want to do when building a DMAS would be using for example, a 15 Mpbs module, and 12 Mbps cable, and test 25 Mbps.
Sound card manufacturers will also need to include the updated 15+ SPDIF transmitter and use a 125 Mbps module.

Since HDA is limited to ~37 Mbps, use USB to SPDIF for maximum available bandwidth, throughput.

HDA/USB > SPDIF (R2/V2) > Output method (TOSLink, HDMI, USB, FireWire, Wireless).
thats just wild i use the optical that came with a 7.1 soundcard cause i knew it would have enough bandwith for a 5.1 and it works wonders XD the soundcard i cant use cause i got a soundbar and just assumed all soundcards can do 5.1 over optical with just usb as the input i never figured out how to make it output 5.1 over its optical connection now i just use a adpater https://www.amazon.com/loop-back-support-standalone-software-WINDOWS/dp/B0BQ6W9N9X/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1BM39AXCV1YYP&keywords=cmedia+sound+card&qid=1707226532&sprefix=cmedia+soundcar,aps,275&sr=8-3 this is the card https://www.amazon.com/Cubilux-TOSLINK-Converter-Compatible-Computer/dp/B0B2DBGKL3/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=toslink+to+usb&qid=1697180620&sr=8-3&th=1this is what im useing now im not entirely for sure how the cables are rated however i only use the cables that have came with anythang to do with surround sound due to theme at least being able to hold a 5.1 signle and thats all i need my biggest issue in surround sound is makeing my laptop actually see the speakers iv tryed many many thangs from changeing my displays edie file and forceing formats to spending months on end trying to find a soundcard to work the only way iv found to be the easyist is bitstreaming then useing fxsound for anythang with live encodeing with custom apo drivers it works amazing i also got some regit files so my laptop can now see a 32bit connection i guess with hdmi it wasnt actually useing 32bit for some reason i assume this is due to the ppl makeing my laptop not haveing surround sound in mind over usb however with all of this combined iv made the best 5.1 system iv ever heard its a soundbar system with true rear speakers and i love it i thought forever hdmi was better i was dead wrong you just have to try to force outputs from devices i wonder how a tv would handle optical? if maybe we could force windows to see a optical connection comeing from a tv?

Last edited:
Case laptop
Power Supply laptop
VR HMD N/A
so iv done alot of looking and found out dolby digital or dolby/dts anythang just takes pcm or ieee float 32bit audio and compresses it for awhile i was wondering why media player classic wasnt showing dolby as my output anymore im thinking what we can maybe do is make a windows application to see all of these connections over optical or over a usb to optical connection (for laptop folks like myself XD) we have custom apo drivers that can make windows see both dts interactive and dolby digital plus over usb to optical or optical or hdmi we just need to make a more simple windows application that would let you choose which device then scan which formats that device can support if it cant find any it can maybe bring up a menu to let you choose what you know your hardware supports speaker count included consumer hardware is being updated everyday for some wild stuff my usb to optical adapter says it can do dts audio and dolby digital it can but it translates theme back to pcm or ieee float depending on the codec so with https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/making-audio-enhancers-work-on-windows.244309/ these apo drivers it then expands to dolby digital plus support idk if it can actually support 7.1 i only have 5.1 and well only ever need 5.1 for my space however any atmos content is fully supported on my system and downmixes to 5.1 not for sure with dts i know media player classic BE supports dts but idk if my windows build dose or not when i play the test tone its static and dose pan thru all speakers in a kinda narly way all in all if we can make a application to do all of this windows would be the best media player operateing system for any audiophile or vedio lover dk thare name lel XD

This is a hardware, unit, based thread, not how Windows and media players work thread, although some info is related.

As a side note, the DMAS main unit could be called an SPU (Sound Processing Unit).
Secondary note, its the speaker that converts digital to power.

Last edited:
Case laptop
Power Supply laptop
VR HMD N/A
This is a hardware, unit, based thread, not how Windows and media players work thread, although some info is related.

As a side note, the DMAS main unit could be called an SPU (Sound Processing Unit).
Secondary note, its the speaker that converts digital to power.
not what im meaning im not talking and windows media players im talking about the windows kernal
and true this is for hardware but all of this can be done in software without the need for soldering or extra money dont get me wrong its a super cool consept and could work really well however it can all be done in software now not only are my apo drivers proof due to useing usb to optical and getting full 5.1 translateing hdmi is a decent way to get surround from windows however its complicated and sometimes u have to reapply the eidie file fixes and u have to make sure its on 5.1 or 7.1 in the settings its alot of work just to play windows pc games in full 5.1 but with your hardware solution or my software one i was speaking of ppl would just have to download a application instead of buying extra hardware they dont need anymore

like you said optical has been updated to support 15 channels we could easily update the windows kernal to support that and from thare maybe use a hardware or software solution but the biggest issue rn is windows messing with pcm audio and haveing to buy a 200 dollar box just to plug in 3 hdmi devices into it i see what your trying to do make it easier to passthrough surround to speakers from windows however we dont need hardware for this any longer we just need software now n days really hell we could take a tv with optical out plug our pcs in thru hdmi use the application i was speaking of then BAM full 5.1 out of your windows pc check out a application called voice meeter i used it for 3 years trying to build a 5.1 system till i went out and got one myself

Weirdly the HDA specification (Intel, 2004) allows for 16 channels per stream, and up to 15 input and 15 output streams. That specification is now roughly 20 years old.
If you look at when HDMI finally got true 192k output using 1536 total samples (8 x 192k), it will be around 2013 (v2.0), nearly 10 years after.

HDMI.png

You could do 8 x192k on analogue (1536k) well before 2013.

====

I decided to replace my older 5mm TOSLink Blue cable with a Kenable PRO Chrome (aka Black) OD 6mm TOSLink cable, after some research.
Kenable has been registered on eBay for roughly 24 years, and also UK registered for roughly 22 years (main website).

Compared to my older 5mm cable its an upgrade, slightly better audio due to improved core quality.

--

I found the older modules where rated to 15m, whereas the high speed modules are rated at 20m (same core size).
High speed modules have a variable maximum, 20-125mbps, so it could be 25mbps, so on.

--

In order to get more than ~37 mbps, for SPDIF-HDMI, HDA must be replaced.

Attachments

• SPDIF R2 - TOSLink.png
    SPDIF R2 - TOSLink.png
    157.9 KB · Views: 14
  • TOSLink.png
    TOSLink.png
    113.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Case laptop
Power Supply laptop
VR HMD N/A
Weirdly the HDA specification (Intel, 2004) allows for 16 channels per stream, and up to 15 input and 15 output streams. That specification is now roughly 20 years old.
If you look at when HDMI finally got true 192k output using 1536 total samples (8 x 192k), it will be around 2013 (v2.0), nearly 10 years after.

View attachment 333874

You could do 8 x192k on analogue (1536k) well before 2013.

====

I decided to replace my older 5mm TOSLink Blue cable with a Kenable PRO Chrome (aka Black) OD 6mm TOSLink cable, after some research.
Kenable has been registered on eBay for roughly 24 years, and also UK registered for roughly 22 years (main website).

Compared to my older 5mm cable its an upgrade, slightly better audio due to improved core quality.

--

I found the older modules where rated to 15m, whereas the high speed modules are rated at 20m (same core size).
High speed modules have a variable maximum, 20-125mbps, so it could be 25mbps, so on.

--

In order to get more than ~37 mbps, for SPDIF-HDMI, HDA must be replaced.
lmk how that cable is working out for ya i dont have any complaints on my system besides the fact that if anythang is encoded in dolby digital i can hear the center very slightly in my rears

but that dose mean any laptop or pc made with hdmi 2.1 can support 32 channels so it wouldnt be too hard to force windows to see that i have to ask tho whats your plan here? do u want to make a soundcard or just a audio codec? both are super cool and i love to see this stuff however i am wondering how we could make this possible

Anything using HDA can in theory do 32 channels with [1536k] total samples and [~37 mbps] total bandwidth.
32 x 48k = [1536k] total samples | 32 x 48k @ 24b = [36.864 mbps] total bandwidth.

In theory, removing HDA, and using the full 125 mbps (NRZ, PAM2), it would be: 108 x 48k @ 24b.

----

Also if you are buying TOSLink cables, 24k ends are not really worth the money, the core quality matters.
If you find a TOSLink cable with ferrite beads, I will laugh, the core is plastic-glass.

Last edited:
If digital to digital suffers as much from aliasing as analogue to digital, I think oversampling is the best option, although I am thinking a bit differently.
Lets say we are working with 48k, at the first point of input to the DMAS, this can be doubled (96k), then 48k taken from the 96k.

Since we can't hear over 20kHz, and 96k needs more processing, it would be better to take the 48k and dump the rest.

----

Digital device input (48k) > DMAS > [OS 96k to 48k trimmed, 32 bit float] > 48k, 32 float processing > Speaker output (digital).

I guess it could be called adaptive oversampling, since a 96k+ input would only be trimmed.

----

Attachments

• Class-D.png
    Class-D.png
    535.5 KB · Views: 19
  • DMAS.png
    DMAS.png
    20 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
A software encoder on SPDIF is not specifically Microsoft, that's down to the driver provider, since the driver adds the software DSP (APO). The same for HDMI, although HDMI apps can be store bought.
As far as I can tell, the spatial APO is before SFX in the Windows audio system, so when DTS-Dolby utilize it on HDMI, its also an encoder, but not one they have to install an APO for.

In terms of all the formats being present on SPDIF endpoints by default, that's down to Microsoft, although the way they have done it, it can easily be updated.
In the past, I added the formats to SPDIF with my ALC 889 (I have S1220A now), ticked the boxes then converted it to HDMI.

Realtek SPDIF will have a legacy based 2 channel transmitter, so not much can actually be done, however, the number of supported channels and bits are read by Windows.

----

Legacy passthrough uses a 2 channel stream, current formats use an 8 channel stream. Current SPDIF (not legacy) is 15+.

----
Sorry for quoting you, but you maybe able to help me, i posted the following on this thread HERE , Will these work with my 2023 Asus ROG Strix Z790-H Gaming WIFI motherboard, all i know is its a ASUS ROG SS3|DTS Sound Unbound motherboard without ALC408x codec, think it uses Audio CODEC S1220A, thx

Case laptop
Power Supply laptop
VR HMD N/A
Sorry for quoting you, but you maybe able to help me, i posted the following on this thread HERE , Will these work with my 2023 Asus ROG Strix Z790-H Gaming WIFI motherboard, all i know is its a ASUS ROG SS3|DTS Sound Unbound motherboard without ALC408x codec, think it uses Audio CODEC S1220A, thx
if it has optical or hdmi out then it should

I already re-directed him to another thread and answered his questions via messaging, this is not the right thread.
Thanks though. Also try not to post in this thread unless its DMAS related.

Cheerz.

Turns out that its not really possible that we are using the legacy TOSLink modules, it appears they are not fast enough for: 2 channel 192k 24bit (9.216 Mbps).
Also while the TOSLink modules are NRZ rated, its half that speed when using BMC, so 125 Mbps NRZ, is, 62.5 Mbps BMC.

The older modules where rated to 15 Mbps NRZ, and so 7.5 Mbps BMC. To get 125 Mbps BMC, TOSLink SMI would be needed.

With 62.5 Mbps we should be able to do: 12 x 192k 24bit (55.296 Mbps), or, 54 x 48k 24bit (62.208 Mbps).

----

I also just thought, since we are handling 0,1's and PCM can be converted on the fly, I wonder if its possible to transcode BMC to NRZ for optical transport.
Example, lets says the BMC out from SPDIF was 125 Mbps, that would need 250 Mbps NRZ, transcoded that should be 125 Mbps NRZ.

BMC 125 Mbps (NRZ 250 Mbps) > Transcoded to NRZ > NRZ 125 Mbps ------- NRZ 125 Mbps > Transcoded to BMC.

Imagine bitstreaming a 125 Mb, .7z file, inside it is two files, 124 Mb of audio data, and a clock.

----

Attachments

• Legacy Modules.png
    Legacy Modules.png
    916 KB · Views: 16
  • JIS F05.png
    JIS F05.png
    102.3 KB · Views: 19
  • SMI Optical.png
    SMI Optical.png
    393 KB · Views: 18
Last edited: