• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fan Control Missing?

MechMykl

Hi, I have a 2008 Macbook Pro boot camped to Windows XP SP3 with the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 512 MB GDDR3 [Hardware Monitor says driver is: 6.14.11.6763]

I was wondering why Fan Control is missing from my settings and if there was any way to enable it... this would be a godsend to have at my disposal!

Also, I have temperature logging on... is there anyway for it to log temperature only when it's detected a 3d app running? That way I dont have tons of lines from when im doing normal computing.

Thanks!

System Name Enslaver :)
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B650-Plus
Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D14 with LED fans, Case: 2 front in - 1 rear out
Memory 2x16GB Kingston Fury Beast RGB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 4070Ti OC
Storage Samsung Evo Plus 1TB NVMe , internal WD Red 4TB for storage, WD Book 8TB
Display(s) LG CX OLED 65"
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh C Performance
Audio Device(s) HDMI audio powering Dolby Digital audio on 5.1 Z960 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard ASUS Strix Tactic Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Try RivaTuner´s fan control option

globalxs

Configurating the Fan-control

It's quite simple in the ATITool.
First apply thet button 'settings' down to the right. Next you can select 'Fan control' in the top pull-down menu. Apply your preferred settings. After that you can select 'Startup' outoff the same top pulldown menu. Here you can configure the way the ATITool needs to start during the start of the computer.
However, there is no way to configure how to start the tool when starting outoff hybernation. You will have to do the manually.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
you sure that 8600M isnt cooled with the system fan?

When I google images of the 8600M they are naked, but one image looks like it sits between two ther sinked dies, Im guessing CPU and NB. Try seeing if you can mange to figure that much out first.

MechMykl

Wow. I hadn't even thought of that. You were correct, the 8600M GT dosen't have a fan of it's own.

When the CPU fan speed of my Macbook Pro starts spinning faster it cools both, but I have yet to find a working program to let me manually change it on boot camped Windows XP. (Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated.)

Thanks for the tip, hope this helps any other MBP users wondering!