• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU Thermal Tests in an Inverted Case

System Name A COMPUTER
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus "Ultra Gaming"
Cooling Arctic LF II 280
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3600 CL18
Video Card(s) RTX 3060 Ti LHR
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB, Seagate 5TB HDD
Display(s) Lenovo P24Q-20
Case be quiet! Silent Base 802
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 GT
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Server / i3wm
I posted a picture of my build on a Discord server, and got multiple responses from people who were incredulous at the idea of top-mounted intake fans. Here's the picture in question:
View attachment 20240126_190209_1.webp
Didn't seem all that offensive to me, honestly.

The case is a be quiet! Silent Base 802, changed into its "inverted" configuration, hence the upside down motherboard. My theory here was that top intake is mostly unrestricted, and having the GPU pointing fans-up will lead to better GPU temperatures. So, let's test that!

The case comes with two top panels: a mesh one, and a closed-off one. I'll do some tests with both arrangements:

20240128_161448.jpg
20240128_160706.jpg

I'm running Linux, and I don't have any real games installed on this system right now, so options for graphics benchmarks are a bit limited. I decided to go with Unigine Superposition as my benchmark... except Superposition kept freezing as soon as it opened. Okay, I guess I'm using Unigine Valley instead. Valley isn't a very heavy load for an RTX-series GPU, but it's enough of a thermal load for the purposes of this test.

Here are some graphs showing how different top panel/fan configurations performed. I ran four different test configurations:
  • Blue: mesh top panel, fans set to the "1" setting on the fan controller. They're inaudible at this speed, barely spinning.
  • Green: mesh top panel, fans set to the "3" setting on the fan controller. This seems to be 100% fan speed.
  • Red: mesh top panel, fans turned off (unplugged them from the fan controller)
  • Orange: solid top panel, fans turned off
This first graph is the GPU temperature reported by nvidia-smi during the test. You can very clearly see where Unigine Valley starts and ends. All four tests are pretty close temperature-wise, but the configurations with mesh panel + fans are running are a couple degrees cooler. Also notice how the temperature trails off at the end of the test: the temperature declines much more quickly when the fans are feeding air directly into the GPU. The "mesh, no fans" and "sealed, no fans" configurations see very similar temperature dropoffs at the end of the test, indicating that the chimney effect isn't doing much to help the "mesh, no fans" configuration:
smi-temp.png

This graph uses a thermistor that I shoved under the GPU heatsink, trying to get it as close as possible to the VRAM modules. This isn't a true "VRAM temperature" measurement - it's more like a "board surface temperature near the VRAM" measurement. The "mesh top / fans on" configs are once again ~3-5 degrees cooler than their fanless counterparts. I should have let the tests run longer to fully capture the temperature decline at the end, but you can still clearly see that the intake fans are doing their job.
ec-temp.png

My takeaways:
  • Top intake with inverted cases works! Force-feeding a GPU with cold air makes it run cooler, go figure.
  • There's virtually no difference between "mesh top / no fans" and "sealed top / no fans." In other words, the chimney effect isn't doing anything meaningful here.
  • All of these configurations would be fine with an RTX 3060 Ti - it isn't getting anywhere close to its thermal limits in any of the tests.
Hopefully this will be helpful to somebody considering an inverted case layout. I'm coming from a case with a huge side intake fan, so it's reassuring that I can still blast cool air directly into my GPU.

Side note: something really remarkable with this setup is the "thermal barrier" the GPU makes within the case. I can reach my hand into the case, and feel a major temperature difference between the air above the GPU, and below it. The CPU is water-cooled, so I'm not really worried about the relatively warm area under the GPU.

System Name A COMPUTER
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Cooling Arctic LF II 280
In the last week, I've made a good number of tweaks to this PC, and I wanted to run a similar battery of tests again. First, let's go over what I've changed since last week:
  • The GPU has been flashed with a VBIOS that allowed me to bump up the power limit, which allows it to get closer to its thermal limits.
  • Enabled PBO on the CPU (oops)
  • Adjusted the CPU fan curve - it was waaay to aggressive before.
  • Updated Nvidia drivers
  • Got Unigine Superposition working.
This time around, I decided to do a true "intake vs. exhaust" head-to-head comparison. The results were... um... decisive, to say the least.

Key:
  • Green line: mesh top panel, top fans set to "3" using the fan controller.
  • Blue line: no top panel, top fans set to "3" using the fan controller.
  • Red line: solid top panel, top fans set to "1" using the fan controller.
  • Yellow line: mesh top panel, top fans set to "3," but set up as exhaust instead of intake.

First, let's look at the the GPU temperature reported by nvidia-smi:
nvidia-smi.png

The "exhaust with mesh top panel" and "exhaust with no top panel" tests show pretty similar results - just a degree or two's difference under load. That's good! It means that the case's dust filter isn't causing unnecessary thermal troubles. Predictably, the sealed top panel test runs significantly hotter than the two tests with max-power intake fans.

The really surprising thing is that yellow line: the setup with two max-power exhaust fans is almost identical to having no ventilation at all! I figured exhaust would perform worse than intake in this setup, but I didn't expect the difference to be that significant. Also, notice that temperatures plateau at ~83C for both the exhaust and sealed tests. This is a symptom of some form of throttling, be it thermal or power. Meanwhile, the top-intake test runs (blue and green lines) are still slowly ramping near the end of the test. I didn't actually save the Superposition benchmark results, but I should have, because there may be some measurable loss in performance when running top exhaust here.

The thermistor chart is even more damning for top exhaust:

thermistor.png

This thermistor is crammed under the GPU's heatsink, and is pressed up close to a VRAM module. It's not truly a "VRAM temperature measurement," but it's as close as I can get with the tools available to me. These results are even more surprising: For exhaust, the termistor reads a few degrees hotter than a sealed-off top panel!

So, why is this happening? Obviously, having exhaust fans fighting with your GPU is probably bad, but I didn't expect it to be as bad as having almost no ventilation near the GPU at all. Here's my guess: top exhaust pulls air upwards. This may draw heated air from the front-mounted AIO up towards the GPU, when it otherwise would have been pulled downward and out by the PSU or rear exhaust fan. In any case, the results are pretty decisive: if you have an inverted case with an air-cooled GPU, you should probably run top intake.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
and got multiple responses from people who were incredulous at the idea of top-mounted intake fans.
For a good reason, the internals are inverted in your PC, in 99.9% cases they aren't going to be and it makes no sense to invert the top fans. Your test isn't really that insightful, this is going to be the same optimal configuration in any PC.

System Name A COMPUTER
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Cooling Arctic LF II 280
For a good reason, the internals are inverted in your PC, in 99.9% cases they aren't going to be and it makes no sense to invert the top fans.

Well yes, that's why the title of the post says "inverted case," the photo originally shared with the folks in question shows an inverted build, and I mention the inverted-ness of the layout no less than 3 times in the original post.

It's intuitive that it should work this way, but the goal is to see "how well does it work." There's a lot of pseudoscience with case layouts. Positive pressure, negative pressure, intake and exhaust placements. Everyone has a hot take (and some even have a hot case), but there isn't much actual data to make layout choices with.

System Name Purple Haze | Vacuum Box
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D (-30 CO) | Intel® Xeon® E3-1241 v3
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
Cooling Dark Rock 4 Pro, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans | 212 Evo & P12 PWM PST x2, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans
Memory 32GB Ballistix (Micron E 19nm) CL16 @3733MHz | 32GB HyperX Beast 2400MHz (XMP)
Video Card(s) AMD 6900XTXH ASRock OC Formula & Phanteks T30x3 | AMD 5700XT Sapphire Nitro+ & Arctic P12x2
Storage ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB, Toshiba P300 3TB x2 | Kingston A400 120GB, Fanxiang S500 Pro 256GB
Display(s) Mi 2K Gaming Monitor 27", AOC 24G2U
Case Modded MS Industrial Titan II Pro RGB | Heavily Modded Cooler Master Q500L
Audio Device(s) Audient iD14 MKII, Adam Audio T8Vs, Bloody M550, HiFiMan HE400se, Tascam TM-80
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 1000M | Enermax Revolution X't 730W (both with P14 fans)
Mouse Logitech G305, Bloody A91, Amazon basics, Logitech M187
Keyboard Redragon K530, Bloody B930, Epomaker TH80 SE, BTC 9110
Software W10 LTSC 21H2
Well yes, that's why the title of the post says "inverted case," the photo originally shared with the folks in question shows an inverted build, and I mention the inverted-ness of the layout no less than 3 times in the original post.

It's intuitive that it should work this way, but the goal is to see "how well does it work." There's a lot of pseudoscience with case layouts. Positive pressure, negative pressure, intake and exhaust placements. Everyone has a hot take (and some even have a hot case), but there isn't much actual data to make layout choices with.
I've tested full negative pressure build and it was awesome as I thought it'll be, so decided to make custom cases with that layout in mind for all my PCs. If you have time, check that thread, and if no one else, I encourage you to continue with your testing. Cheers.