• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hex-Editing Prerequisites

I'm trying to understand how to use Hex Editors when it comes to non ASCII-character related bytes to see what the program is doing. Seems like most tutorials I come across are just getting to string messages. They do teach how to use the hex editor and understanding binary/hexidecimal, word size and Big/Little Endian(Some better than others). But, as far as interpreting the unreadable stuff I have not been able to find. Closest thing I came across was the idea of learning assembly.

What are the prerequisites to fully utilizing a hex-editor and knowing where to look for certain things? I'm familiar with C-style programming, some OOP, and I understand Binary math/Hexidecimal and just learned Big/Little Endian. Still working on determining when there's a byte/multibyte sequence in a program except for ASCII character, which are always just two nibbles/1 Byte.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Just read up some tutorials on IDA. Unless we are talking something simple, like analyzing blinky firmware for AVR micro, HEX editor is useless on its own.
HexRays now have a freeware version of the latest IDA, which is probably the best thing out there(at least for Windows).

Another good tool is Ghidra. Haven't worked with it yet, but it's FOSS with sources on github (though, developed by NSA).

Also, here's a cool YT channel on topic.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
What kind of files are you trying to analyse, is it program code or is it data (such as multimedia files, PDFs, binary database files, resource DLLs, etc)?

Program files, in particular a Windows game executable. I'm guessing mostly program code. I'm trying to get data within the program code such as Console variables/commands and additional command line arguments that are part of the engine. Currently I'm trying to find the parts where the CD-Check occurs. This was removed in the next patch, but the files are too different to compare.