• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hight temp on idle(65-70°C) or just normal ? 7800x3d + 360mm aio

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
It's probably fine, I can't see how the the temps under load would be fine but the idle ones not, you probably just have stuff running in the background. I have a 7000 series CPU and I get like 45-50C tdie when I am browsing or something but no more than 85-90C under load and I have a custom loop with 4 radiators.

If you're certain your mount is gtg it's time to seriously consider replacing that aio. Pump may be dead or dieing. It may be clogged up.
Can you feel or hear the pump running?
Does one of the tubes coming off of the block feel excessively hot to the touch?
Is it connected to the pump header on your mb?
The aio is new , i buy it 5 days ago .

I feel something when i touch the pump and ICUE from corsair does say me the current coolant temp , is at 32 degrees .About the tubes , they are cold both of them . No connection to the pump header , because it has a controller , the controller goes to one of my sata ports.

Im willing to bet that's the issue. One little drop is very unlikely to be evenly spread across the entire heatspreader.

I find what works best is first spreading a layer across the entire heatspreader, and then afterwards place a pea sized drop in the middle - it should ensure there is full coverage and no airbubbles :)
I re applied the thermal paste using the spatula that came with it , no luck , temperatures are the same . Or something is failing within my system , maybe the psu or the AIO is faulty . Or take it to a pc shop to check it is my next option

Another question that i have , is totally necessary to re apply the thermal paste each time i remove the power block ? i runed out of thermal paste in just 3 days :laugh:

Processor Ryzen 7800x3d
Motherboard Asus B650e-F Strix
Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
Memory Gskill 32gb 6000 mhz cl30
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage Samsung 980 pro 2tb, Samsung 860 evo 500gb, Samsung 850 evo 1tb, Samsung 860 evo 4tb
Display(s) Acer XB321HK
Case Coolermaster Cosmos 2
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi 5.1 Pro + Logitech Z560
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Win10 pro
I re applied the thermal paste using the spatula that came with it , no luck , temperatures are the same . Or something is failing within my system , maybe the psu or the AIO is faulty . Or take it to a pc shop to check it is my next option

Did you use a generous amount ? You technically can't use too much, as any excess will just be pressed out the sides, but you can deffo use too little.

But yes, it could very well be that the pump is defective - i've had that happen with aios aswell.

Another question that i have , is totally necessary to re apply the thermal paste each time i remove the power block ? i runed out of thermal paste in just 3 days :laugh:

Ideally you want to reapply everytime, yes - to ensure an even spread, and more importantly no airbubbles.

I feel something when i touch the pump and ICUE from corsair does say me the current coolant temp , is at 32 degrees .About the tubes , they are cold both of them . No connection to the pump header , because it has a controller , the controller goes to one of my sata ports.

If the aio is new, then there is a very big chance that there is a thin plastic wrap you can pull off the aio copper base - are you 100% sure you did that ?

Did you use a generous amount ? You technically can't use too much, as any excess will just be pressed out the sides, but you can deffo use too little.

But yes, it could very well be that the pump is defective - i've had that happen with aios aswell.

Ideally you want to reapply everytime, yes - to ensure an even spread, and more importantly no airbubbles.

If the aio is new, then there is a very big chance that there is a thin plastic wrap you can pull off the aio copper base - are you 100% sure you did that ?
I did use a generous amount yes , i spread the thermal paste even across the cpu and then applied a little drop in the middle. And also yes , the mater block came with a plastic cover , not a film cover. I removed that and also removed the thermal pre applied paste to apply the Hydronaout . At this moment the only think beside the Aio is faulty , maybe since im also having some issue with my PSU ( this isnt confirmed , i have a post here for Stuttering at games) could be that the cooler isnt receiving enough power

I was noticing that definitely there is something with the water block and the pressure points , because for example two of the screws are easy to adjust but the other two is like i just do like two or three turns and that's all . It's like they are very difficult to squeeze . I will try later again but i followed exactly the guide from corsair and also this isn't my first build but definitely something is happening with the pressure there.

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
I did use a generous amount yes , i spread the thermal paste even across the cpu and then applied a little drop in the middle. And also yes , the mater block came with a plastic cover , not a film cover. I removed that and also removed the thermal pre applied paste to apply the Hydronaout . At this moment the only think beside the Aio is faulty , maybe since im also having some issue with my PSU ( this isnt confirmed , i have a post here for Stuttering at games) could be that the cooler isnt receiving enough power

I was noticing that definitely there is something with the water block and the pressure points , because for example two of the screws are easy to adjust but the other two is like i just do like two or three turns and that's all . It's like they are very difficult to squeeze . I will try later again but i followed exactly the guide from corsair and also this isn't my first build but definitely something is happening with the pressure there.
Try out an old heatsink to rule out your aio as the culprit. It doesn't have to be anything uber, just something you already know works. That's the quickest way to come to a conclusion.

Try out an old heatsink to rule out your aio as the culprit. It doesn't have to be anything uber, just something you already know works. That's the quickest way to come to a conclusion.
i dont have one unfortunately, my old one isnt am5 compatible

System Name Keds
Processor 5600X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 32 GB Team Force DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) Power Color RX 7900 XT Red Devil
Storage 2x 1TB SSD / NVME
Display(s) AOpen 27in 1440p 170hz (27HC5UR)
Case Modified Corsair 540 Air
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 / Corsair HS80
Power Supply EVGA 850GQ
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair Strafe Silent
Software Win 11 Home (Modded)
Benchmark Scores It will beat a snail in a down hill race.
well, if its an air cooler, and you dont mind being cheeky.. lay your case on its side, and place the cooler on the CPU, then boot up. ( besure you applying a little pressure to the cooler )

Since you are seeing high speeds at idle when booted, this is atleast get you to the desktop and can see what your temps are.

well, if its an air cooler, and you dont mind being cheeky.. lay your case on its side, and place the cooler on the CPU, then boot up. ( besure you applying a little pressure to the cooler )

Since you are seeing high speeds at idle when booted, this is atleast get you to the desktop and can see what your temps are.
No , it was a water cooler , corsair h110i and doesnt have the proper adapter to am5 . Im now removing the cooler again , i will try one more time . If this doesnt work , i will take it to the pc shop tomorrow.

Processor Ryzen 7800x3d
Storage Samsung 980 pro 2tb, Samsung 860 evo 500gb, Samsung 850 evo 1tb, Samsung 860 evo 4tb
Display(s) Acer XB321HK
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Win10 pro
i dont have one unfortunately, my old one isnt am5 compatible

AM5 uses the same mounting as am4 - so as long as it is that, it should be fine :)

System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev. 7
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
is the Pump RPM actually beyond 0RPM? and set the pump to extreme. should running at a couple thousand RPM.

and there is no "AM5" Mounting kit. everything that screws into the stock backplate from the motherboard is identical to AM4.

AM5 uses the same mounting as am4 - so as long as it is that, it should be fine :)
No am4 , it is just compatible with am3 max
is the Pump RPM actually beyond 0RPM? and set the pump to extreme. should running at a couple thousand RPM.

and there is no "AM5" Mounting kit. everything that screws into the stock backplate from the motherboard is identical to AM4.
I set everything at corsair ICUE at extreme

Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
No am4 , it is just compatible with am3 max

I set everything at corsair ICUE at extreme
And the Pump RPM is?
and AM4/AM5 cooler Mounting is 100% identical. there is no difference and no mounting kits. (except a cooler used its own backplate on AM4)

System Name Keds
Processor 5600X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 32 GB Team Force DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) Power Color RX 7900 XT Red Devil
Storage 2x 1TB SSD / NVME
Display(s) AOpen 27in 1440p 170hz (27HC5UR)
Case Modified Corsair 540 Air
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 / Corsair HS80
Power Supply EVGA 850GQ
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair Strafe Silent
Software Win 11 Home (Modded)
Benchmark Scores It will beat a snail in a down hill race.
Same thing applies.. you can have the old cooler sitting on the side of the case, with fans all hocked up.. yada yada.. and test with the old cooler.. maybe I am just to old school and willing to take those steps for testing purposes..

And the Pump RPM is?
and AM4/AM5 cooler Mounting is 100% identical. there is no difference and no mounting kits. (except a cooler used its own backplate on AM4)
2700rpm and fans 2100rpm , and coolant temp is 32 degrees . I re installed the cooler once again , now i noticed that the screws that go to the mobo were not adjusted properly . After adjusting those once more , temps are better but still not ideal i guess , they are arround 55 degrees
Same thing applies.. you can have the old cooler sitting on the side of the case, with fans all hocked up.. yada yada.. and test with the old cooler.. maybe I am just to old school and willing to take those steps for testing purposes..
Could be a good test yes but i run out of thermal paste , once i get more for sure i will test it , is either that or taking it to the pc shop.

VR HMD Oculus Rift S
100% fan speed and the coolant temp is 32°C? what is your ambient temperature then?
either your CPU is constantly under load or the cooler is correctly mounted.

100% fan speed and the coolant temp is 32°C? what is your ambient temperature then?
either your CPU is constantly under load or the cooler is correctly mounted.
i guess you wanted to say incorrectly mounted but is the fifth time that i re install the cooler , this is my 6th build that i made , im not an expert but i dont believe that im installing it wrong , in fact has the same system as my old pc and to that pc i did a clean up once a year , removing the cooler and all that. I could be wrong obviously and installing this thing wrong but i dont know really .

My ambient temp is around 22-28 degrees

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
2700rpm and fans 2100rpm , and coolant temp is 32 degrees . I re installed the cooler once again , now i noticed that the screws that go to the mobo were not adjusted properly . After adjusting those once more , temps are better but still not ideal i guess , they are arround 55 degrees

Could be a good test yes but i run out of thermal paste , once i get more for sure i will test it , is either that or taking it to the pc shop.
So your mounting is not as good as you thought yet its still not the reason?

So your mounting is not as good as you thought yet its still not the reason?
Not the reason unfortunately , i check every single screw , all seems to be good. Maybe to much paste ? i dont know , i always put a drop , one time i put a drop and just a very small drop at all corners , same result. I guess i will take it to the pc shop and see

Processor Ryzen 7800x3d
Display(s) Acer XB321HK
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Win10 pro
Not the reason unfortunately , i check every single screw , all seems to be good. Maybe to much paste ? i dont know , i always put a drop , one time i put a drop and just a very small drop at all corners , same result. I guess i will take it to the pc shop and see

As already explained to you, you can't use too much paste.

With a cpu like this there are only a few things that can go wrong in regards to cooling.

Bad tim application (quite likely)

Bad mounting / seating (also quite likely)

Not removing the plastic cover on the copper base (since it had tim pre-applied this one seems unlikely)

And finally a defective aio may be the culprit (you don't see it often, but it could be the reason).

As already explained to you, you can't use too much paste.

With a cpu like this there are only a few things that can go wrong in regards to cooling.

Bad tim application (quite likely)

Bad mounting / seating (also quite likely)

Not removing the plastic cover on the copper base (since it had tim pre-applied this one seems unlikely)

And finally a defective aio may be the culprit (you don't see it often, but it could be the reason).
Either way from the 5 times that i re installed the cooler , half of them i put almost less than a drop of paste , one time i used spatula to distribute the paste, i dont think thats the case .

All the suggestions are possible but i dont know what else to try really (besides testing with other cooler like someone mentioned) , also this cooler uses the same system as my previous corsair h100i and that cooler i removed it a few times just to change the thermal paste .

Thank you!

Processor Ryzen 7800x3d
Display(s) Acer XB321HK
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Win10 pro
Either way from the 5 times that i re installed the cooler , half of them i put almost less than a drop of paste , one time i used spatula to distribute the paste, i dont think thats the case .

All the suggestions are possible but i dont know what else to try really (besides testing with other cooler like someone mentioned) , also this cooler uses the same system as my previous corsair h100i and that cooler i removed it a few times just to change the thermal paste .

Thank you!

Time to try a different cooler then.

System Name PC on since Aug 2019, 1st CPU R5 3600 + ASUS ROG RX580 8GB >> MSI Gaming X RX5700XT (Jan 2020)
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X (July 2022), 150W PPT limit, 79C temp limit, CO -9~14
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro (Rev1.0), BIOS F37h, AGESA V2 1.2.0.B
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420mm Rev7 with off center mount for Ryzen, TIM: Kryonaut
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo GTZN (July 2022) 3600MHz 1.42V CL16-16-16-16-32-48 1T, tRFC:288, B-die
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900XTX (Dec 2023) 314~465W (390W current) PowerLimit, 1060mV, Adrenalin v24.5.1
Storage Samsung NVMe: 980Pro 1TB(OS 2022), 970Pro 512GB(2019) / SATA-III: 850Pro 1TB(2015) 860Evo 1TB(2020)
Display(s) Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34" QD-OLED curved (1800R), 3440x1440 144Hz (max 175Hz) HDR1000, VRR on
Case None... naked on desk
Audio Device(s) Astro A50 headset
Power Supply Corsair HX750i, 80+ Platinum, 93% (250~700W), modular, single/dual rail (switch)
Mouse Logitech MX Master (Gen1)
Keyboard Logitech G15 (Gen2) w/ LCDSirReal applet
Software Windows 11 Home 64bit (v23H2, OSB 22631.3155)

With that 32C on liquid what speed are the fans and pump are working?
That 32C is during idle times?
If yes then how it going on gaming?
What is the average power draw (PPT in HWiNFO) of the CPU when idling and when gaming?
What is the avg load of CPU when idling and gaming?

With that 32C on liquid what speed are the fans and pump are working?
That 32C is during idle times?
If yes then how it going on gaming?
What is the average power draw (PPT in HWiNFO) of the CPU when idling and when gaming?
What is the avg load of CPU when idling and gaming?
With that 32C on liquid what speed are the fans and pump are working? pump 2700rpm and fans 1800-2100rpm
That 32C is during idle times? Yes , didn't check coolant temps while gaming

Unfortunately i cant answering you no more because i already put the pc on a box , later today i will take it to the pc shop where i buy most of my stuff and see what they tell me .

Keep you guys posted once i have any news.

Thank you!