• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How can we utilize Artificial Intelligence to help us be more prescient about quality of life and environment?

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
A lot of people online who participate in these AI discussions discount the importance of the software development environment instead preferring to focus on one-off AI synthetic benchmark results.

It's unsurprising that the companies that have long specialized managing complex industrial workflows with models previously created by humans are the ones who have leveraged AI models early. CAD/CAM is not a new concept, people have been using these tools for decades.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
At some point you wont be you anymore if you rely on AI inside you.

It's good for making medicines or making them better.

Case Apple proprietary
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
At some point you wont be you anymore if you rely on AI inside you.

It's good for making medicines or making them better.
Actually we haven't seen any AI-designed pharmaceuticals yet. The technology is pretty new and the FDA approval process for new drugs pretty much rules out any AI-designed offerings in the current pharmaceutical marketplace.

We'll see if AI can improve medicines in the next 10 years or so. But as pointed out earlier, it's not AI that's the limiting factor here. It's the glacial and onerous FDA approval process.

Even Big Pharma (Merck, Pfizer, whatever) can't just throw a bunch of AI accelerators at a medical problem and ask the FDA for an approval next week.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Actually we haven't seen any AI-designed pharmaceuticals yet. The technology is pretty new and the FDA approval process for new drugs pretty much rules out any AI-designed offerings in the current pharmaceutical marketplace.

We'll see if AI can improve medicines in the next 10 years or so. But as pointed out earlier, it's not AI that's the limiting factor here. It's the glacial and onerous FDA approval process.

Even Big Pharma (Merck, Pfizer, whatever) can't just throw a bunch of AI accelerators at a problem and ask the FDA for an approval next week.

I don't think that's what he meant, it's definitely not what I meant. It's just very clear that the rhetoric being used seems very promising in this field, I am well aware that it will take ten plus years to ripen the fruit so to speak. I think AI is promising though, just wanted to see what other hypothetical fruits might ripen from AI in a positive benefit for everything.

Case Apple proprietary
Okay, in that spirit I hope AI can help grow better tasting tomatoes in the future. That would definitely improve my quality of life.

:D

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
I would like this thread to be about the future of AI (focus on positive stuff only please) and its possibilities for bettering flora/fauna in general.

I was thinking of what Jensen (Nvidia CEO) said a few times in the last year about how AI will be targeted towards certain industries and custom AI Hopper or Blackwell computers will be designed for very specific industries, so concentrated small AI systems is how I understand it. Doesn't need to be a giant LLM (but it is possible I misunderstand Jensen, this is a field I am only mildly interested in so I haven't been paying attention fully).

Some ideas I have been contemplating with this idea in mind are below... and since some progress has already been made with this idea, link below, it just got my mind churning:

AI Makes New Battery Ideas link

A collegiate body of all accredited Universities across the USA and those abroad that wish/volunteer to participate/get government approval, for a specific Blackwell AI setup to scrape all knowledge from their library databases, but no other databases (hopefully this would improve accuracy similar to medical AI), in return those Universities that participate will get to use this AI in their research programs? Then as it learns and grows with this data set, begin to ask it academic and/or engineering questions. I don't know if this would be considered a LLM AI and you could just simply ask it questions or not, would it need a LLM AI as the base, then like a 'giant expansion pack for a game' you do the academic data set on top of that? I have no idea how these concentrated AI models are intended to work, which is partially why I made this thread... but also just interested in other peoples ideas for the future.

Some of the questions we could ask this model... I am unsure... perhaps how can we do agriculture better and what is the best pathway towards doing that? Feed it some engineering sets and then ask it to make a better rocket than Starship or Falcon 9, but also being reusable. Maybe how to make better concrete too (I linked a couple paragraphs below). Maybe we could even ask what is the most efficient way to replant a farm or rainforest for the best symbiotic outcome of varied species working together (yes trees do share resources through roots) and rainforests need to have a variety of species to grow right, you can't just replant trees, so what is the best optimization of that? I'm sure there are a variety of academic papers on that, it could analyze those and cross analyze it with entire data sets of plant biology (the Native Americans knew about the three sisters method of farming, perhaps AI could expand on that for extremely optimal farming that saves the topsoil), etc. Then we could ask another AI model to program drones based on soil density/location (or a human gps mapmaker can begin to plot out locations of where the seeds go based on the new datasets from the AI) of certain regions to help us replant entire rainforests overnight, with AI robots making the drones as in sci-fi films (nothing can go wrong with this idea jokes incoming I know) lol

Trees Sharing Resources Link

Drones Planting Trees is nothing new

Do you think this level of AI is going to be possible with Blackwell AI setups?

Another concentrated model would in the medical industry for medicine R&D and other medical related things (from what I have read this is already well underway), Jensen mentioned Nurse Practitioner AI I believe linked below, AI could act as a filter system in the medical field perhaps too someday to reduce load on regular nurses, the filter says you need someone irl then that's path b, but if it solves your problem its documented and saved to your profile and you move on, I don't think it's their yet, but maybe closer than we think. With telehealth real doctors/nurses combined with offloading lower level medical stuff to AI, could really make the healthcare industry more affordable and less demanding on professionals. Thanks to Mark Cuban the billionaire for already making the most used medicines affordable with his Cost Plus Drugs company that takes no excess profits and keeping me optimistic about humanity. This is the leadership we need in more of the medical field.

Health Link 1

Health Link 2

Another thought I had recently too, could AI models be applied over existing super computers with a Blackwell setup sort of 'guiding' the super computers sheer power? In this case you could extrapolate it over ideas like this to ask it questions: Super Computer Idea

I guess what I am trying to ask and think of ideas if AI can do so many great things, how much is Blackwell going to change things?

Based on everything I have read, we are at a unique time in history, either AI is actually about to change everything for the better, or it's just a hype bubble. I really have no idea which to be honest. I guess if the robots Jensen was on stage with recently get any better… the possibilities are endless. Jensen already said Blackwell was made with the help of AI that came before it, Blackwell will continue this tradition in a possible snowball effect... it is possible the world is literally going to change over night. This snowball effect would apply to everything, including finding a battery that solves humanities problems once and for all, and so on and so forth. Less waste is something to be positive about.

My conclusion is that AI's greatest contribution is that it might make everything more efficient (obviously not in all fields, as we have seen with customer service models for various companies), as my examples above are talking about, I know there are negatives and fears, but this could also be a turning point in optimal efficiency in relation to our natural resources, but also our quality of life in general. I know people will want to respond to this thread about fears and job losses, this thread is not about that, there are several ways to mitigate the negatives, but this thread is not for that. Please focus on positive contributions AI can possibly make. I love thinking about this stuff just for fun, I hope some of you do too.

To put an asterisk on all of this, I have chatted with CoPilot with GPT-4 for quite a bit in the last six months. It is very impressive to me, that even when I call it out on being wrong on something, it expands its dataset in real time, apologies to me, says I am right, and then sites its sources to explain itself how it came to its original decision and why it now agrees with me. Maybe this isn't impressive, but to me it is; that being said it still gets a lot of things wrong so I am not super bullish on AI just yet. If this is all on Hopper Nvidia AI chips (I don't actually know what CoPilot uses just fyi)... and Blackwell is coming soon... and if how we as a species navigate the world around us with language... perhaps there is something interesting on the horizon indeed.

What are some of your ideas of how AI can better the world for everyone and everything?

@W1zzard and mods, if you feel this is the wrong forum for this, feel free to move it. I didn't know where to put it.
Hi,
I'm positive
AI will not be all peaches and cream as you think or want it to be lol

It will be just another manipulated shit show.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Hi,
I'm positive

Some of it will. Some of it won't. Just like everything else in life.

Case Apple proprietary
Hi,
I'm positive

Imagine someone typing in these words on web browser running on a personal computer or smartphone.

Boggles the mind!

:):p:D:lovetpu:

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Hi,
I'm positive

In other news a cynic gives a cynical outlook. Woah.

Imagine someone typing in these words on web browser running on a personal computer or smartphone.

Boggles the mind!

:):p:D:lovetpu:
Sometimes it boggles my mind how technology-fearing TPU users can actually be.

Case Apple proprietary
Sometimes it boggles my mind how technology-fearing TPU users can actually be.
I'm not surprised in the slightest. Maybe I've been online for too many years.

But these sort of bizarre contradictory statements are getting more commonplace with each passing year, not just here at TPU but pretty much everywhere online. The Internet really has ended up being where crazy people go to hang out.

I doubt if AI can help those people out. Oh well, their loss. Or maybe not. A lot of crazy people seem to be very happy being that way.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I think a lot of us, if not all of us, sometimes struggle with negative energy sort of taking over sometimes. It's important to remember though that there is still a lot of good in this world. Knowing right now if I lost my job, I'd still be able to afford my medicines from Mark Cuban's Cost Plus Drugs store It is comforting for example.

I think we should all move on and just if you have an idea of how AI can be used in a positive way share it here.

@cvaldes The tomato idea is actually a good one, I think it will go back to the idea of having AI help farmers re-do their land in soil positive ways (nutrient increase/distribution). I know some local farmers where I live who re-did their entire farm during Covid, and its much more efficient now. AI wasn't used of course, but it just goes to show the flexibility people have when given options. AI is going to bring optimal options I think for many fields.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
Working with architects and engineers freelance in London a while ago, setting up their workstations etc, I was shocked at how many different pieces of software they used, and how complex it was for them to collaborate on the same project, with versioning, formats, compatibility, slow individual rendering etc. Just making sure everyone was on the same page was complicated.
I have to interject here. Connecting the various disciplines that link to construction engineering has been a subject for research and development long before this "omniverse" fad kicked in. They call it BIM (and they also call it whatever Autodesk labels their collaborative services/tools these days).

I also find it amusing that there would be a compatibility issue with architectural/engineering software. The field is a de-facto monopoly for Autodesk, and the few minor players won't dare not worship the DXF.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
I have to interject here. Connecting the various disciplines that link to construction engineering has been a subject for research and development long before this "omniverse" fad kicked in. They call it BIM (and they also call it whatever Autodesk labels their collaborative services/tools these days).

I also find it amusing that there would be a compatibility issue with architectural/engineering software. The field is a de-facto monopoly for Autodesk, and the few minor players won't dare not worship the DXF.
I guess I should have phrased it as "some of them were on macs, some had powerful computers, some had weaker laptops, some had differently specialised/older versions of autodesk or Revit, or 3dsmax or other software that couldn't open newer files, some had different plugins. Some were trying to collaborate via Dropbox or Google drive or the local server (just a standard HDD four bay NAS at the time I first got there) some were in mainland Europe etc. (some were even using cracked software which was nuts to me considering the fees these guys charged, but half of them were straight out of university so it's not that surprising I suppose)."

The issue was getting everyone to work on different aspects of the same thing while being aware what everyone else was doing, and the network, hardware and individual software all keeping up.

I'm aware that DXF or DWG etc are standard formats, but it still wasn't that simple in my experience. I had to help them clean up their environment a lot and standardise things, partly with new builds. This wasn't a tiny garage operation either, but a Battersea riverbank office with about twenty London architects, and more in Vilnius and Russia working under the same company.

I did play around with the autodesk collaboration software but found it to be rather old fashioned and slower than some third party alternatives, or just manually networking some larger files.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
I'm aware that DXF or DWG etc are standard formats, but it still wasn't that simple in my experience. I had to help them clean up their environment a lot and standardise things, partly with new builds. This wasn't a tiny garage operation either, but a Battersea riverbank office with about twenty London architects, and more in Vilnius and Russia working under the same company.
Which is, as someone already mentioned in this thread, the real problem here. It's not that the tools or knowledge don't exist, it's that people can't be bothered using them.
I do find it surprising that poor technical management is also a problem up north though. I guess engineering firms are the same everywhere.

some were even using cracked software which was nuts to me considering the fees these guys charged
Have you ever met a contractor before? ;)

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
Ironically we could draw a similar 'ascent' for crypto :)

Wait & see mode here.
Crypto transformed into many applications. E.g. Digital Euro/currencies, secure clinical trial research, smart contracts, fractional ownership, product authentication, verifiable statements, voting, logistics etc.

The real bubble was for meme coins and the GPU market, since consumers were buying in. The actual tech matured into many useful things

I think we'll see the same kind of thing with AI.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Offline AI that "trains" on you. You correct it and it gives you tailored results.

With how good phone APUs are getting, and NPU even in desktop computers getting strong, not to mention RTX GPUs etc, local AI is not hard.

Opensource models you can customise and download, pair with vetted training data etc. Glass box design, no BS from shadowy companies that insert their own politics.

For medical AI I am extremely dubious, feels like a cope to deal with the competency crisis more than anything, and insuring it is a nightmare.
hospitals laid off a buncha nurses and stuff during covid... even in my area they did that and a ton of doctors and my own family doctor left the area hospital system cuz they wouldn't let her practice the way she wanted to for me and her patients. many of these hospital systems won't let doctors make thier own choices and only want them to make choices and treat people for maximum profits for hospital system vs the fastest treatment for the patient and that drives them to leave the system and then eventually hospitals will turn to AI at this rate when all the GPs, etc left...

Low quality post by Steevo
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
hospitals laid off a buncha nurses and stuff during covid... even in my area they did that and a ton of doctors and my own family doctor left the area hospital system cuz they wouldn't let her practice the way she wanted to for me and her patients. many of these hospital systems won't let doctors make thier own choices and only want them to make choices and treat people for maximum profits for hospital system vs the fastest treatment for the patient and that drives them to leave the system and then eventually hospitals will turn to AI at this rate when all the GPs, etc left...

I'm so over covid and still seeing people wear masks in the car alone, go be scared elsewhere.

Talking about energy efficiency, AI is used to predict usage patterns and optimize consumption like Google's DeepMind did with its data center cooling systems. In waste management, AI analyzes data to improve systems, reduce waste, and boost recycling rates. Allow me to digress a little. I read a lot about paper waste specifically. Apparently, "Producing a metric ton of recycled paper produces on average 0.15 metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent less than producing a metric ton of virgin paper." At the same time, around 100 digital business cards save 3 trees. So if large companies want to reduce its carbon footprint, non-printing alternatives every step of the way are a must. Sorry, I do get talkative when it comes to eco-friendly options. Back to AI, for climate change, I read that UNEP's World Environment Situation Room (WESR) uses AI to analyze complex datasets. WESR's International Methane Emissions Observatory (IMEO) monitors and mitigates methane emissions globally. With the help of AI, IMEO created a public database of methane emissions. The way I see it, there are many ways to implement AI to help the environment. Do I have faith in humanity to see the big picture for once and not abuse something that could do good? Unfortunately, I'm heavily leaning toward "No" here, based on our history.

Last edited: