• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How stupid would it be to run your own web server on a RaspberryPI?

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
OK, so here I was thinking... Can I run a web site on a RaspberryPI? And by that, I mean, the full LAMP-stack being Linux, Apache (or at least something like it), MariaDB (a fork of MySQL), and PHP. It would also be a mail server as well for SMTP and IMAP.

One, is a RaspberryPI even have enough hardware guts to run this kind of configuration and two, can it even be done safely by someone who really doesn't know much about how to really secure this kind of stuff? The second question is, of course, the most important of them all. I wouldn't want my server hacked to hell and back by God knows what hacking group.

Although, I do have to wonder if I'm asking this question, I might be barking up the wrong tree.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Of course you can run a website off a Raspberry Pi but without knowing what type of site, what amount of traffic, etc., you're not going to get many useful answers.

If you want to run a personal vanity site like some did in the Nineties, the RPi would work great.

If you want to roll your own cloud-based storage like Dropbox, Google Drive, whatever, that's riskier.

If you want to run an OnlyFans competitor on an RPi, you're probably going to run into some issues.

Remember that any device that responses to HTTP requests on port 80 is a target for bad guys in 2024. How good are you as a Linux system administrator? Network system administrator? Security analyst? Page design? Script programming? Database administrator?

But without knowing your usage case, there's precious little to say. The scope of the site determines what sort of technical expertise it requires. You have offered nothing as what you will do with this site.

And since you didn't even bother to provide that basic information, I'd say you are barking up the wrong tree. If you knew what sort of site you were building and you had an inkling about what sort of work needs to happen, you probably wouldn't be asking a pool of random folks on an anonymous Q&A forum for advice if this was doable.

In a way, it's like asking "can I build a house with this hammer?" What kind of house? Doll house? Dog house? 2BD/2BA vacation cottage? 30-unit apartment building? Windsor Castle? I'm sure hammers have been used at Windsor Castle.

Last edited:
System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
I dont think Pi cant handle much load of any kind. Last one I used was a pi 3.

Also, I run pi-hole on a pc since I lost my pi somewhere.

Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
But without knowing your usage case, there's precious little to say. The scope of the site determines what sort of technical expertise it requires. You have offered nothing as what you will do with this site.

And since you didn't even bother to provide that basic information, I'd say you are barking up the wrong tree. If you knew what sort of site you were building and you had an inkling about what sort of work needs to happen, you probably wouldn't be asking a pool of random folks on an anonymous Q&A forum for advice if this was doable.
It would be a Wordpress-powered site with Cloudflare in front of it.

Case Apple proprietary
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Just remember that once you build it, you can't just wash your hands clean of it and walk away.

You'll have to be diligent about maintaining and upgrading all of the software components including the operating system because vulnerabilities are reported all the time in this sort of stuff. You will probably need to exercise some sort of vigilance toward suspicious behavior.

Cloudflare is not 100% bulletproof armor, that's for sure.

What sort of sweat equity are you willing to contribute to keep this thing going? It's not a set it and forget it one-shot wonder.

Building things is fun. Maintaining them is a whole different story. Did you have fun at your first date? The wedding? Well, a wedding is not a marriage.

While it's not really described this way very often, when you build your own web server, you're basically married to it.

Reactions: bug
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Just remember that once you build it, you can't just wash your hands clean of it and walk away.

You'll have to be diligent about maintaining and upgrading all of the software components including the operating system because vulnerabilities are reported all the time in this sort of stuff. You will probably need to exercise some sort of vigilance toward suspicious behavior.

Cloudflare is not 100% bulletproof armor, that's for sure.

What sort of sweat equity are you willing to contribute to keep this thing going? It's not a set it and forget it one-shot wonder.

Building things is fun. Maintaining them is a whole different story. Did you have fun at your first date? The wedding? Well, a wedding is not a marriage.

While it's not really described this way very often, when you build your own web server, you're basically married to it.
Why I was asking is because I want to find a better web host since the one that I have pretty much sucks. Sure, they work but their technical support is basically an adventure into clown world.

Case Apple proprietary
Why I was asking is because I want to find a better web host since the one that I have pretty much sucks. Sure, they work but their technical support is basically an adventure into clown world.
Finally some real background about your true motivations. Wish I didn't have to wait seven posts. Like pulling teeth, sheesh.

There are good web hosts and bad web hosts in 2024 just like 2014, 2004, and 1994. You'd probably spend less time and effort if seeked out a different web host. From the sound of it, any other web host might be better.

But remember you get what you pay for. The tech support guys that know what the fudge they're doing are working for Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, whatever. If you want small time hosting at a small time fee rate, you're going to have to set your expectations realistically.

But for sure, even for small web hosting, there are competent people and incompetent people, just like barbers, lawyers, short-order cooks, plumbers, whatever.

Anyhow, based on this new information you have delivered, I hereby bow out of this discussion.

Best of luck.

System Name DevKit
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 ↗4.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus WiFi
Cooling Koolance CPU-300-H06, Koolance GPU-180-L06, SC800 Pump
Memory 4x16GB Ballistix 3200MT/s ↗3600
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 580 Red Devil 8GB ↗1380MHz ↘1105mV, PowerColor RX 7900 XT Hellhound 20GB
Storage 240GB Corsair MP510, 120GB KingDian S280
Display(s) Nixeus VUE-24 (1080p144)
Case Koolance PC2-601BLW + Koolance EHX1020CUV Radiator Kit
Audio Device(s) Oculus CV-1
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts EA-750 Semi-Modular
Mouse Easterntimes Tech X-08, Zelotes C-12
Keyboard Logitech 106-key, Romoral 15-Key Macro, Royal Kludge RK84
VR HMD Oculus CV-1
Software Windows 10 Pro Workstation, VMware Workstation 16 Pro, MS SQL Server 2016, Fan Control v120, Blender
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15: 1590cb Cinebench R20: 3530cb (7.83x451cb) CPU-Z 17.01.64: 481.2/3896.8 VRMark: 8009
In my case it would be catastrophic stupid because I run a bunch of SQL .NET web stuff and sadly that's NOT getting ported over to an ARM device for a very long time.

Maybe when I have a dedicated DNS sinkhole on bare metal. Who knows?

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
How stupid? It depends on your expectations in terms of performance. If you are expecting dozens of simultaneous connections, all streaming videos with zero buffering or other latency issues, that would be stupid. One or two connections at time for file sharing would probably be quite satisfactory, and a wise choice.

System Name -
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 (4x140 push-pull)
Memory 32GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3733 (8GBx4)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4080 X-trio.
Storage Sabrent Rocket-Plus-G 2TB, Crucial P1 1TB, WD 1TB sata.
Display(s) LG Ultragear 34G750 nano-IPS 34" utrawide
Case Define R6
Audio Device(s) Xfi PCIe
Power Supply Fractal Design ION Gold 750W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 Mini.
Keyboard Logitech K120
VR HMD Er no, pointless.
Software Windows 10 22H2
Benchmark Scores Timespy - 24522 | Crystalmark - 7100/6900 Seq. & 84/266 QD1 |
OK, so here I was thinking... Can I run a web site on a RaspberryPI? And by that, I mean, the full LAMP-stack being Linux, Apache (or at least something like it), MariaDB (a fork of MySQL), and PHP. It would also be a mail server as well for SMTP and IMAP.

One, is a RaspberryPI even have enough hardware guts to run this kind of configuration and two, can it even be done safely by someone who really doesn't know much about how to really secure this kind of stuff? The second question is, of course, the most important of them all. I wouldn't want my server hacked to hell and back by God knows what hacking group.
I dont think its stupid at all, the privacy of your own server can not be over stated, given the amount of services being hacked atm.

But I would set a Pi4 as the base spec, or a Pi5 if you found one cheap enough. The Pi5 would be better as that has PCIe support via a HAT, so you can run the whole thing of a large & low cost NVME drive.

And as wordpress seems to report security volnerabilty reports on an almost monthly/qaurterly basis, as others have said you will need to remind yourself to regularly check your little PiPress/Email server and make sure its upto date etc.

A good source of into for what possible on a pi is jeff gerling - https://www.jeffgeerling.com/

System Name Regular PC | Server HP Z440
Processor 9700k | E5-2698v3
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X-CF | Stock mobo
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5 rev. B | Stock HS
Memory 32 GB (8x4) | 112 GB (8x2 + 16x6)
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super | K4000
Storage 970 EVO+ 1TB | 860 1TB x2
Display(s) XV340CK x2, 1080p x2
Power Supply Corsair RM750x | Stock
Software Windows | Proxmox 7
Your ISP may have a clause in TOS/EULA against hosting a website at home. You also have to consider paying for DNS registration and a good hardware firewall and settings to prevent your website from being adjacent to your home network. These days, it's easier and safer (cheaper, no) to rent a cloud server and host your site there.

System Name Naboo (2019)
Processor AMD 3800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Master V1 (X470)
Cooling individual EKWB/Heatkiller loop
Memory 4*8 GB 3600 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 5700XT
Storage SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0x4, 2 TB PCIe 3.0
Display(s) 2*WQHD
Case Lian Li O11 Rog
Audio Device(s) Hifiman, Topping DAC/KHV
Power Supply Seasonic 850W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX2, Logitech MX Ergo Trackball
Keyboard Cherry Stream Wireless, Logitech MX Keys
Software Linux Mint "Vera" Cinnamon

Although, I do have to wonder if I'm asking this question, I might be barking up the wrong tree.
There are 3D Printers out who have a RPi to steer their printer. At one end a RPi4B with 2GB on the other side a FDM Printer. I own such one. That runs pretty well. On the same RPi i ran a full internet gateway and network server with a couple of servers running in parallel.. That also ran fine for me.

It depends what you want to do aand how much load you will have. For smaller Sites with limited users it could run real fine. For a hell of parallel users and highly complex pages it could mess around.

If youu want to have that server accessed by the internet first your router has to have port forwarding. An DNS entry can be obtained by some companies for free. Also with dynamic IP's. For playing around to get a feeling about internet servers it's not that bad way.

Finally some real background about your true motivations. Wish I didn't have to wait seven posts. Like pulling teeth, sheesh. ... I hereby bow out of this discussion....
It was his second post -- and his first was rather clear too. He obviously wanted to know the technical limitations on such a site, as to whether it could even run the software stack required. It takes a real "Captain Obvious" to point out that request load would be a factor, as if imparting some great truth. It seems your own "true motivations" were more to snipe and baselessly criticize, than to actually be helpful.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Short story, you can.
Longer story, depending on the version of RPi, it would be able to support various amounts of traffic. It also depends on what you want to serve. Simple HTML, no problem. Lots of images? A bit more taxing. Video? Even more taxing.