• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to Redirect 5.1, 7.1 to SPDIF [DTS-Dolby] - All Apps

I guess you mean the Sound Unbound app, shame. I am not actually sure why Dolby released Atmos on PC with that much delay, not very professional in my opinion.
If you intend to use DTS Interactive or Dolby Digital Live, you will need to make sure the receiver also supports the format.

Are you not able to just set 6 or 8 channels with HDMI, without Atmos?

If you can, then don't bother with Atmos, set 6 or 8 then use receiver upmixer for more than 8, I doubt the games you play will support more than 7.1.

Last edited:

Journeym

Hello.
I got this working with a modified driver (i have realtek ALC1200), but do i need a modified driver?
In other words, do i need a dts encoder on SPDIF windows output device?

If you want to output multichannel over SPDIF v1.0-1.1, then you will need an encoder. Else you can only do 2 channels with SPDIF v1.0 and 1.1.
SPDIF v1.2 is not yet common but is released, it is capable of 15+ uncompressed channels without an encoder using BMC.

System Name predator helios 300
Processor intel(r) core(tm) i7-7700HQ @ 2.80ghz
Motherboard laptop acer predator helios g3-572
Cooling laptop acer predator helios g3-572
Memory 16gb 2400mhz 2 slots
Video Card(s) nvidia gtx 1060 laptop
Storage internal 237gb hdd internal 931gb hdd external 3tb hdd usb3.0
Display(s) 1 internal laptop 1 hdmi 100hz aoc 27g2g3
Case laptop
Audio Device(s) ultimea posiden d60 (5.1 speakers) hyper cloudx 2 (headphones)
Power Supply laptop
Mouse razer naga trinity v2
Keyboard razer huntsman TKL v2
VR HMD N/A
after a few months of working with apo drivers i can say i now have a pretty decent audio experince even over optical iv learned im not useing dolby digital but im useing dolby digital plus with dolby pro logic 2x im useing dolby digital plus home theater for spdif and hdmi endpoints it was drivers dolby made with multiple of thare software solutions it uses what iv said aswell as dolby voice and dolby volume with ferathers pcm audio fixes aswell as useing fxsound for object baced surround vedio games i no longer need to upgrade my system unless i want dts interactive for games i can still transcode dts thanks to media player classic be aswell any dts content can be transcoded to pcm for my live encoder thank u you have helped me make the best sound system iv ever had been messing with the eq my software came with instead of the only 3 uneditabled profiles my soundbar comes with would highly reccomend for anyone useing 5.1 or 7.1 surround :) i have to ask what dose the dts drivers use is it simular to dolbys ??? iv thought about just sticking with my dolby soundbar until a few years from now

I recommend Optical for a few reasons, it used to be a case of coax was in cases better, but most devices with SPDIF these days tend to opt out of SPDIF coax.
Devices with SPDIF v1.1 support: 2x 192K @24B, use the high speed modules, as the legacy 15 Mbit/s modules are not fast enough (BMC).

SPDIF uses BMC, TOSLink modules are rated in NRZ, for BMC bitrate its NRZ /2 (50%), 15 = 7.5 BMC, and 125 = 62.5 BMC.

Since the change it would seem that coax is relatively redundant. Now HDMI vs Optical, a lot of people complain about lag with HDMI.

Case laptop
Power Supply laptop
VR HMD N/A
I recommend Optical for a few reasons, it used to be a case of coax was in cases better, but most devices with SPDIF these days tend to opt out of SPDIF coax.
Devices with SPDIF support for: 2x 192K @24B, use the high speed modules, as the legacy 15 Mbit/s modules are not fast enough (BMC).

SPDIF uses BMC, TOSLink modules are rated in NRZ, for BMC bitrate its NRZ /2 (50%), 15 = 7.5 BMC, and 125 = 62.5 BMC.

Since the change it would seem that coax is relatively redundant. Now HDMI vs Optical, a lot of people complain about lag with HDMI.
oh yeah i share that complait aswell with hdmi i had way too much audio cutting in and out constantly and i had to restart my soundbar anytime i changed audio codecs do u know of any good optical av recivers or usb to optical adapters ?? the one i use only supports 5.1 and my end goal is 7.1 with both dts and dolbys tech

Without ARC/eARC, and without plugging in your monitor to the other end of the HDMI extractor, you get a virtual monitor that adds to overheads (extra display).
I cant really recommend an extractor, the one I have is older (18 Gbps), however I suggest 48 Gbps and plugging in your monitor.

Another downside, if you intend to EDID override and unlock more on Optical, you have to use the virtual monitor, else issues with the real monitor.

----

Here I complied an override driver for my HDMI extractor, I unlocked 6 channel and all formats, officially the device supports 6 channels LPCM for Optical.

HDV-MB01.png

Case laptop
Power Supply laptop
VR HMD N/A
Without ARC/eARC, and without plugging in your monitor to the other end of the HDMI extractor, you get a virtual monitor that adds to overheads (extra display).
I cant really recommend an extractor, the one I have is older (18 Gbps), however I suggest 48 Gbps and plugging in your monitor.

Another downside, if you intend to EDID override and unlock more on Optical, you have to use the virtual monitor, else issues with the real monitor.

----

Here I complied an override driver for my HDMI extractor, I unlocked 6 channel and all formats, officially the device supports 6 channels LPCM for Opti

----

Here I complied an override driver for my HDMI extractor, I unlocked 6 channel and all formats, officially the device supports 6 channels LPCM for Optical.

View attachment 341325
yeah i did this with my hdmi extractor but im talking about a av reciver or usb to optical device made just for optical hdmi was a pain in the ass with constantly haveing to readd the edie file the audio lag /cutting not to mention with hdmi u have to download another application for a eq with these apo drivers come with one im sticking to optical but i would like 7.1 with dts and dolby i have a usb to optical connection atm with 5,1 dolby digital and 5.1 dts audio it works well with the dolby live encoder but with lower bitrate content or streaming its not great only time i get really good audio is games and downloaded files sadly

Noted. I added some images, I cant really comment on USB to Optical, I would have expected more bandwidth since there should be no HDA bus. 1/2 a second is 500ms.

Attachments

• Cables.png
    Cables.png
    437.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Soundbar.png
    Soundbar.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Interesting.png
    Interesting.png
    431.7 KB · Views: 27
  • DTS-X Home Theatre.png
    DTS-X Home Theatre.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMAX.png
    IMAX.png
    2 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
If you want to output multichannel over SPDIF v1.0-1.1, then you will need an encoder. Else you can only do 2 channels with SPDIF v1.0 and 1.1.
SPDIF v1.2 is not yet common but is released, it is capable of 15+ uncompressed channels without an encoder using BMC.
Here are the DolbyMAT & DTS-HD encoder dlls. If anyone can get these working it's you. Still haven't got a solid CLSID string to use it without the dolby access/sound unbound app. It's worth noting that DTS-HD encodes in x64 & x86 where the MAT encoder does not. Could be why it lags vs DTS:X in some applications.

Atmos/DTS:X encoders

Those dll's don't work in the APO sense, if anything they are tech-code libraries used by the app directly.
I would imagine the input-output APO is the hidden Microsoft spatial APO.

jli

I don't get something with your Recording device. If the "Listen to this device" goes through the S/PDIF of a regular Realtek then wouldn't that be turned to Stereo? My Logitech receiver at least still sees Stereo that way unless I miss something (but I think I followed the OP pictures).

Wait I just realized, you say "where the S/PDIF was the encoder on it". What exactly is the context of that?

edit: I noticed it's implied others need an encoder too so I guess the question is: what are the OPTIONS for an encoder currently (paid or unpaid)?

jli

I guess you meant "DTS:X APO4 + DTS Interactive for Most Devices [USB Supported]", or similar, (correct me if I'm wrong)

I learned how to use DTS in advanced audio format, but I'd like to add DTS & Dolby Digital concurrently because everytime I write to the endpoint in fx configurator it overwrites the old configuration. Thanks PS - I know you may of tried to explain why I get distortion with exported .dts tracks, but I have dts movies with no distortion, why is my exports with audacity full of distortion?

@jli, Sorry I was away for a few days. In terms of legacy SPDIF, to get more that 2 channels output, there needs to be an [on-the-fly] encoder (transcoder) such as [Dolby Digital] or [DTS Audio].
In short, the older TOSLink modules had a bandwidth limit, so in order to get 6 channels within that limit, the audio is compressed (encoded) to a smaller size.

Without the mentioned encoders, you will only be able to output 2 channel PCM with most TOSlink setups (current modules are up to 125 Mbit/s, and SPDIF 15+ channels).
In the modern sense, you don't need an encoder to output 15+ PCM channels using SPDIF consumer, as the higher bandwidth allows for more channels.