• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Core i9-14900KS Draws as much as 409W at Stock Speeds with Power Limits Unlocked

Processor 7950X, PBO CO -15
Motherboard Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX (rev. 1.0)
Cooling EVGA CLC 360 w/Arctic P12 PWM PST A-RGB fans
Memory 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB F5-6000J3040G32GA2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070
Storage 970 EVO Plus 2TB x2, 970 EVO 1TB; SATA: 850 EVO 500GB (HDD cache), HDDs: 6TB Seagate, 1TB Samsung
Display(s) ASUS 32" 165Hz IPS (VG32AQL1A), ASUS 27" 144Hz TN (MG278Q)
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Razer BlackShark V2 Pro
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Mouse Logitech M720
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R MX
Software Win10 Pro, PrimoCache, VMware Workstation Pro 16
Super cars are for attention and to bag a better looking one-night stand. Speed can be had for much cheaper.

Just chipping in: these are screenshots I produced with my 13900K on 19th October 2022, monitored and unmonitored single thread runs in Cinebench:

View attachment 335676
View attachment 335677

And the chip was not hitting 100°C while running 1 thread of heavy load at 6200 MHz. That was almost 1,5 years ago, one could expect that they polished the manufacturing somehow and today they are able to produce even better chips.

So...here's the issue. The increase in performance of manufacturing does not insure a "better" product. What insures a better product is testing, and identifying the product which has exceeded the average in a positive way. If you want to make a point of it, I'd suggest you research a thing called a control chart. More control means less required testing and sorting, less negative product to be scrapped, and thus a more profitable product.

What you are hoping for is that they narrowed the control limits, then pushed them higher. You make a product that is better, and is cheaper. In reality, you are not looking at directly better manufacturing with a CPU. You are looking at the output of the CPU based on electro-mechanical properties...which could be linked directly to manufacturing controls or not. It's much simpler to simply produce more parts with less scrap, then bin the larger volume to get better performers that you can label as such without ever actually making a "better" chip...as it was within your controls to produce previously.

The TL;DR is better process<>better chips. These new chips are only as good as the profit margins...and halo products demanding a huge binning effort is fine when the 99% of chips not meeting the halo can be marked as a much higher moving part.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
Yeah, that's easily understood. Some people just don't care about that imbalance. They want the best and are willing to pay for it.

It's kinda like the Threadripper system I built for a guy over the holidays. Totally impractical, but in his eyes that was the best and what he wanted. He paid for the parts, I built it for him. He loves it and didn't bat an eye at the $8000+ price tag.
(BTW, THE most powerful system intended for personal use I've ever built to date!)

Different strokes for different folks is all I'm saying. Intel, AMD, Nvidia, etc, etc would be fools not to cater to that sector of people. After all look at Apple. Perfect example of over-priced tat that people see as "premium"...

Honestly for a lot of people, if spending $1000 on a KS or $2000 on a 4090 keeps them from taking on a different hobby then it is money well spent.

~10% of households in the US have income > 220K/year. PCs as a hobby, and going for the 'best' in that space, is actually quite cheap for them. Compare to say motorcycling, boating, RVing, hot rodding, and so on. Most of those have a minimum $20K price to enter, plus ongoing storage / insurance / maintenance costs.

Hopping up a PC is one of the cheapest hobbies you can have.

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Honestly for a lot of people, if spending $1000 on a KS or $2000 on a 4090 keeps them from taking on a different hobby then it is money well spent.

~10% of households in the US have income > 220K/year. PCs as a hobby, and going for the 'best' in that space, is actually quite cheap for them. Compare to say motorcycling, boating, RVing, hot rodding, and so on. Most of those have a minimum $20K price to enter, plus ongoing storage / insurance / maintenance costs.

Hopping up a PC is one of the cheapest hobbies you can have.
Why are you comparing PC gaming to extremely niche hobbies like motorboating? 10-20 years ago, it was a common thing that people did in every household, just like watching TV. Back then, I could easily afford a high-end graphics card as a student. Now, I've got a full time job and a relatively decent night shift allowance, but even mid-range feels like pulling teeth. PC gaming has got way more expensive than it used to be, and comparing it to owning a Harley only condones AMD/Intel/Nvidia to increase prices even further. PC gaming is not a niche thing, and treating it as such is wrong, in my opinion.