• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

is this for nvidia or does it work with amd cards?

This thread is sure going south in a hurry.
look how you welcome new members who arent in the know how. 2nd post was some clown who said "we got a live one here"

You didn't say anything about me, but the internet in general, which also includes me:

If you meant companies, and not the community at TPU, for example ("the internet"), I'd recommend you choose your words more carefully. Acting out of emotion, whether it be during driver installs, or posing on an online forum, will do no good to you.

I still don't understand what "extras" you want to exclude from your driver installs, by the way.
I dont know the extras company install. installing programs to many are a mystery. its a next>next>next process and youre unaware where the files were all spread out. so I dont trust the button for things to be "off" isnt after installed since its a placebo button. no one knows. im not a programmer to know but I prefer to not trust the companies word then to trust it.

and there must be a reason why so many use these installers. because they too dont trust the comnpanies and what theyll really install

Last edited:

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6400CL32┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
I dont know the extras company install. installing programs to many are a mystery. its a next>next>next process and youre unaware where the files were all spread out. so I dont trust they button for things to be off isnt after installed since its a placebo button.

Much of the behind-the-scenes processes aren't exactly open to you to disable though......ie. Nvidia Container which I think you can disable in NVCleanstall but will break functionality. That's why they are clearly marked as experimental options in NVCleanstall. There are some on AMD as well that can disabled safely (ie. Crash Reporter).

I don't know what placebo you're referring to in the AMD installer; it doesn't get any clearer than Full, Minimal and Driver-Only, with a helpful tooltip explaining each.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
More features = bigger driver sizes. If you want a small driver then use something from 2004. The whole "I don't trust companies" thing is old when whatever you're using to be here is from a company.

This is a forum, not a anti-company fiasco.

System Name ASUS TUF F15
Processor Intel Core i5-10300H
Motherboard ASUS FX506LHB
Cooling Laptop built-in cooling lol
Memory 20GB @ 2666 Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Intel UHD & Nvidia GTX 1650 Mobile
Storage WD Black SN770 NVMe 1TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) Laptop built-in 144 Hz FHD screen
Audio Device(s) LOGITECH 2.1-channel
Power Supply ASUS 180W PSU (from more powerful ASUS TUF DASH F15 lol)
Mouse Logitech G604
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL
Software Windows 10
AMD lets you select how much "stuff" you want installed, just like Nvidia. You have options for full, minimal, or driver only installation.

Edit: On Nvidia, you have options for with or without GeForce Experience.
though, before installing, I always remove folder "NVTelemetry" from unpacked Nvidia driver installer, and only then start installation.;):D

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Wow, this thread's quite abrasive for what's a reasonable question from someone seeking information.

The "NV" in NVCleanInstall isn't explicitly stated as Nvidia. It could mean "New Video" or something. Yes, it does stand for Nvidia in this case, but Nvidia themselves don't use NV as an acronym, and the only time you publicly see Nvidia as an acronym is in share/stock listing where the official acroymn is NVDA. You need to be experienced in messing around with the contents of the drivers to know that NVxxxxxx is the name of background processes Nvidia uses within their drivers. That's definitely not presented front-and-centre to users and anyone unfamiliar with driver components and services would have no reason to discover that for themselves.

This tool exists because Nvidia doesn't provide a driver-only install like AMD or Intel do.

Why would you want a driver-only install? Because there are third-party control panels for graphics cards. They're not very popular, and most of them are likely deprecated or outdated now - but that was the original reason for this tool's creation.

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Aliens Ryzen Rig | 2nd Hand Omen
Processor Ryzen R5 5600 | Ryzen R5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (F61 BIOS) | B450 matx
Cooling DeepCool Castle EX V2 240mm AIO| stock for now
Memory 8GB X 2 DDR4 3000mhz Team Group Vulcan | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 8GB | GTX 1650 4GB
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Display(s) Acer ED273 27" VA 144hz Freesync |TCL 32" 1080P w/ HDR
Case NZXT H500 Black | HP Omen Obelisk
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek | Onboard Realtek
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650w 80+ Gold | 500w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
Software Windows 10 Pro | Windows 10 Pro
you assume too much. thanks for wishing me luck. you keep being a conformist and a follower. the fanboyism is intense here.
not as intense as your fear of everything tech related, but you do you and keep typing and looking the fool. Its 2023 invest in more HDD space or suffer with your insecurities over software

not as intense as your fear of everything tech related, but you do you and keep typing and looking the fool. Its 2023 invest in more HDD space or suffer with your insecurities over software
being "fearful" will protect you. im not fearful of tech related, again, another mistake you make. I dont trust the vast majority of companies. their greed and shady tactics is the highest level weve seen till now. this is fact. they try to screw the users and the users by and keep coming back for me. and look at games and gpu. they up prices and idiots line up to buy. what suckers.

you go and be blind to readily believe everything sold to you. id rather ask questions and reasearch of intentions of companies I give money to and be untrusting of companies then to be blind naive and gullible. also, many times Ill prefer to buy used. that way the mfr never gets my money.many times I buy with warranty so I get a lower price, dont support the company and have warranty. and this is not only for computer gear. its for everything. I dont follow or conform like the sheep masses.

yes, ill do as you suggest, "you do you"

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11
look how you welcome new members who arent in the know how. 2nd post was some clown who said "we got a live one here"
I wasn't part of that. Though I'm not saying you haven't been a part of the argument here, I'm genuinely sorry for the reception you received. We should strive to be more welcoming.

If you want a granular driver package where you can be picky about what gets installed, AmernimeZ community driver packages are probably what you want. The setup process allows for more direct control of what does and doesn't get installed. Though you may find that a lot of features stop working when you strip out all the code they rely on. Modern GPUs are complex ASICs with thousands of individual functions, not just "play game on screen".
I only dont waant the telemetry and fluff that really isnt needed. like nvidia physx and sli nonsense. I think they purposely do this to force people to install more then needed.

I dont know how many "features" and such drivers install. I installed amd driver, first time ever and it had some option to disable telemetry or something else. it was 4 months ago and being first time I cant remember. but if I knew the exact components of whats to be installed I could analyze it. this pc with rx590 isnt connected to the internet or used yet. im still on an old 8350fx with gtx 660. the driver size I use is 176mb 307.74. new 472.12 is 608MB!!! no way in hell thats of gaming drivers. thats trash put in. and youll see tons of clueless do the next>next>next install without knowing better and that will take a lot of pc resources. and weve seen what scumbags nvidia and amd are . when you see companies like evga leave the market, this a clear picture of what has happened im not installing 608mb of nonsense.

when people make software like nvclean, there is a reason why. and its not a positive one for nvidia (or amd).

so im looking at the amernimez drivers. im curious why its smaller then amd drivers. not suspicious, just curious.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6)
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S (two fans)
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Reference Vega 64
Storage Intel 665p 1TB, WD Black SN850X 2TB, Crucial MX300 1TB SATA, Samsung 830 256 GB SATA
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG27, and Samsung S23A700
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TITANIUM 850W
Mouse Logitech
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Windows 11 Pro, and Ubuntu 20.04
I only dont waant the telemetry and fluff that really isnt needed. like nvidia physx and sli nonsense. I think they purposely do this to force people to install more then needed.

I dont know how many "features" and such drivers install. I installed amd driver, first time ever and it had some option to disable telemetry or something else. it was 4 months ago and being first time I cant remember. but if I knew the exact components of whats to be installed I could analyze it. this pc with rx590 isnt connected to the internet or used yet. im still on an old 8350fx with gtx 660. the driver size I use is 176mb 307.74. new 472.12 is 608MB!!! no way in hell thats of gaming drivers. thats trash put in. and youll see tons of clueless do the next>next>next install without knowing better and that will take a lot of pc resources. and weve seen what scumbags nvidia and amd are . when you see companies like evga leave the market, this a clear picture of what has happened im not installing 608mb of nonsense.

when people make software like nvclean, there is a reason why. and its not a positive one for nvidia (or amd).
AMD's driver installation ends with a screen asking you if you want to opt in to usage collection. If you're still concerned about what's in the driver, then just migrate to Linux where AMD has an open source driver in addition to the closed source driver. Intel's Linux driver is open source as well.

1695918386604.png

If you're still concerned about what's in the driver, then just migrate to Linux where AMD has an open source driver in addition to the closed source driver. Intel's Linux driver is open source as well.
yes, I wish I could get into linux. you need to know some programming. I started with win3.11 years back and its all pretty much just click glide through all windows and linux needs some programming, and I have more of a creative head then a binary one. my brother a prject manager in hitech firm but im the creative one in the family.

I wish linux would push more for gaming and editing and editing programs. such a shame. id move in a millisecond.

System Name Windows | Linux
Processor 13900K | 14900KS
Motherboard Pro Z790-A WiFi | Z790 Apex Encore
Cooling Arctic LF III 360 | Arctic LF III 420
Memory 32GB 6600 CL32 | 48GB 8200 CL38
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 | RTX 4070Ti Super
Display(s) MSI MAG401QR
Case Phanteks P600s | Asus PA602
Power Supply Vertex GX-1000 | Vertex GX-1000
Software Win 11 Pro | Debian
Benchmark Scores They suck.
AMD's driver installation ends with a screen asking you if you want to opt in to usage collection. If you're still concerned about what's in the driver, then just migrate to Linux where AMD has an open source driver in addition to the closed source driver. Intel's Linux driver is open source as well.

View attachment 315501
Maybe that changed recently, but for me I've always had to uncheck that box every driver install.

bad ass movie lebowsky

I wasn't part of that. Though I'm not saying you haven't been a part of the argument here, I'm genuinely sorry for the reception you received. We should strive to be more welcoming.
no, you werent part of it. maybe I need time to settle in or for others to accept my douchebagnes. I can laugh at myself but I do stick hard to my basic value of not trusting companies and being a pro privacy advocate. even if I can do 1% for myself, its what I want to do. like those who fight for animal rights, workers rights, environment etc. they know its a hard battle but if they can do something small, it makes them feel good.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6)
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S (two fans)
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Reference Vega 64
Storage Intel 665p 1TB, WD Black SN850X 2TB, Crucial MX300 1TB SATA, Samsung 830 256 GB SATA
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG27, and Samsung S23A700
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TITANIUM 850W
Mouse Logitech
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Windows 11 Pro, and Ubuntu 20.04
Maybe that changed recently, but for me I've always had to uncheck that box every driver install.
In the latest installer, they changed it to a radio button and I don't recall which was the default.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
bad ass movie lebowsky

no, you werent part of it. maybe I need time to settle in or for others to accept my douchebagnes. I can laugh at myself but I do stick hard to my basic value of not trusting companies and being a pro privacy advocate. even if I can do 1% for myself, its what I want to do. like those who fight for animal rights, workers rights, environment etc. they know its a hard battle but if they can do something small, it makes them feel good.
I'm a big time privacy advocate so I get where you are coming from. It's a tough fight where we seemingly lose more ground than we gain, but a direly important one, yeah.

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Aliens Ryzen Rig | 2nd Hand Omen
Processor Ryzen R5 5600 | Ryzen R5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (F61 BIOS) | B450 matx
Cooling DeepCool Castle EX V2 240mm AIO| stock for now
Memory 8GB X 2 DDR4 3000mhz Team Group Vulcan | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 8GB | GTX 1650 4GB
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Display(s) Acer ED273 27" VA 144hz Freesync |TCL 32" 1080P w/ HDR
Case NZXT H500 Black | HP Omen Obelisk
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek | Onboard Realtek
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650w 80+ Gold | 500w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
Software Windows 10 Pro | Windows 10 Pro
i mean his abrasive attitude towards any opposing viewpoint and basically telling everyone else they are blind sheep that are dumb asf....maybe next time he can learn to be nicer lol

i dont play well with rude ppl lol and never will, y'all know that about me here

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
maybe next time he can learn to be nicer lol
I mean yeah, but we set a pretty mean table. When all you have to eat is rotten tomatoes, don't be surprised when a foodfight breaks out.

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
I dont know the extras company install. installing programs to many are a mystery. its a next>next>next process and youre unaware where the files were all spread out. so I dont trust the button for things to be "off" isnt after installed since its a placebo button. no one knows. im not a programmer to know but I prefer to not trust the companies word then to trust it.

and there must be a reason why so many use these installers. because they too dont trust the comnpanies and what theyll really install
I'm not a programmer, either, so I don't bother with this stuff. Tools exist for all kinds of things because people are different, we want different things. There's no reason to see any anti-corporation movement behind it. There's also a reason why so many people are happy with the factory drivers. Not breaking basic functionality is the main one. As said before, AMD lets you choose full, compact, and driver-only install with or without data collection. I don't know what else you can ask for, or what "extras" companies slip in that you're afraid of. But with that logic, you can very well be afraid of your whole PC, as you don't know exactly how your CPU or graphics card works, and what's inside every single component. Not trusting companies is healthy up to a point, but it can also send you down a very, very deep rabbit hole.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Not trusting companies is healthy up to a point, but it can also send you down a very, very deep rabbit hole.
This, pretty much. Viewing company claims with skepticism is healthy, but at some point, you still have to use their product at the end of the day. Try not to lose your mind in the well-intentioned fight. ;)