• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Kagi: $5/month for a search engine in 2024?

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
I read that Kagi's founder is a proponent of AI? An article I read said there is/was an AI toggle in Kagi, which I guess you can turn off.

As for misinformation, it's a very grey area but generally speaking, search engines restrict 'disinformation' which is not the same thing. Disinformation is malicious and designed by whichever bad actor to obscure factual information. For example, the tobacco lobbies decades ago obfuscating the links to cancer using disinformation to create doubt.

The great thing is, though, we're free (at least some nations are) to choose our provider.

And please let's keep this away from pointing political fingers.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
I read that Kagi's founder is a proponent of AI? An article I read said there is/was an AI toggle in Kagi, which I guess you can turn off.

As for misinformation, it's a very grey area but generally speaking, search engines restrict 'disinformation' which is not the same thing. Disinformation is malicious and designed by whichever bad actor to obscure factual information. For example, the tobacco lobbies decades ago obfuscating the links to cancer using disinformation to create doubt.

The great thing is, though, we're free (at least some nations are) to choose our provider.

Yep, and there's custom filters you can set up if you desire. https://kagi.com/settings
1712408561134.png

Unless that bad actor is paying Google revenue to push their grey area. Or the special interests which work tightly together with big tech to control information.

Source of that article AKA the international award winning journalists who've won every court case trying to shut them down and have a 100% track record of accuracy.

I'm not interested in discussing politics either, but there's a clear link between the administration and what information is controlled (so, I'd prefer for my search engines to not have that "responsibility" or whatever you want to call the real time filtering of information).

"Schmidt was penning a treatise with Jared Cohen, the director of Google Ideas, an outfit that describes itself as Google’s in-house “think/do tank.” I knew little else about Cohen at the time. In fact, Cohen had moved to Google from the US State Department in 2010"

Again, I'm not discussing politics here, just stating, that like working in medicine, pharma and regulators, it's a revolving door, and pretending these things aren't political is naive. Rather I'd prefer to accept they are, and seek alternatives which are not, or are less entwined.

Attachments

• 1712408437469.png
    1712408437469.png
    103.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Yep, and there's custom filters you can set up if you desire.

Unless that bad actor is paying Google revenue to push their grey area. Or the special interests which work tightly together with big tech to control information.

Source of that article AKA the international award winning journalists who've won every court case trying to shut them down and have a 100% track record of accuracy.

I'm not interested in discussing politics either, but there's a clear link between the administration and what information is controlled (so, I'd prefer for my search engines to not have that "responsibility" or whatever you want to call the real time filtering of information).

"Schmidt was penning a treatise with Jared Cohen, the director of Google Ideas, an outfit that describes itself as Google’s in-house “think/do tank.” I knew little else about Cohen at the time. In fact, Cohen had moved to Google from the US State Department in 2010"

Again, I'm not discussing politics here, just stating, that like working in medicine, pharma and regulators, it's a revolving door, and pretending these things aren't political is naive. Rather I'd prefer to accept they are, and seek alternatives which are not, or are less entwined.
I see what you are trying to dodge here but I dont think its going to work. ALL information is potentially coloured in sone way. Objectivity is found in peer reviewed research (most of the time.... :)). Everything else is opinion.

This is as old as written word really. The best way to guard yourself here is by using (historical) context and arm yourself with knowledge. And even that backfires on a lot of people because they forgot to check their sources and actually float on opinion based info more than anything.

I doubt Search can fix this.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
I see what you are trying to dodge here but I dont think its going to work. ALL information is potentially coloured in sone way. Objectivity is found in peer reviewed research (most of the time.... :)). Everything else is opinion.

This is as old as written word really. The best way to guard yourself here is by using (historical) context and arm yourself with knowledge. And even that backfires on a lot of people because they forgot to check their sources and actually float on opinion based info more than anything.
That's fine. I'm happy for individual coloured information. I'm not happy being fed the current political, AI generated hallucinations or corporate/sponsored bias.

Being armed with knowledge has the prerequisite of that knowledge being available. That's what we're discussing here. Search results.

Also I think you mean "do", not "dodge

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
That's fine. I'm happy for individual coloured information. I'm not happy being fed the current political, AI generated hallucinations or corporate/sponsored bias.
Why would Kagi avoid that? Its not immune to whatever is the mood of the day.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Why would Kagi avoid that? Its not immune to whatever is the mood of the day.
No, they're not immune, but there's a relative scale, like all things.

Obviously reading physical books/academic referencing standard of information quality will always be better sources than articles on the internet. (wayback machine is fun to see how those articles and definitions etc. have changed). But that's just true for any academic work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Fair. Im gonna give it a shot on those free searches. Maybe my eyes shall be opened

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
This is an opinion you need to have used the service to have.

You're entitled to doubt, but perhaps look into the actual differences between competing search engine models.

If you're OK with two companies (Google and Microsoft) having a duopoly on 99%+ of internet traffic, are you also OK with the dead internet theory, i.e. massive prevalence of bots, AI generated content, segmented and divided identity politics echo chambers etc?

Having independant companies that provide services requires funding. You can get that funding through adverts (not private), sponsorship (not without strings) or user funded (not free). Decisions you make like these allow some semblance of "independant" information dissemination.

I do get tired of the "nothing is 100% private so why care" attitude, I have to say. It irks me, and I'm used to seeing it from the technologically illiterate, but not from people who frequent enthusiast technology forums.

It's the abdication of citizen rights and responsibilities, which include the responsibility of choice, that has led us to this somewhat dystopian digital world.

"Nothing to hide nothing to fear" is literally Orwellian.

Bugs me that friends who are otherwise intelligent resist using superior open-source and free messaging apps such as Signal. I'm a "privacy freak" because I find Meta distasteful and refuse to use WhatsApp, Insta etc.

Even disregarding privacy and security factors, Kagi and Signal are better at what they do than the conventional alternatives.

You're also asking "how do we know" their claims are true?

Well, we know for a fact that the conventional alternatives are doing all the things we don't want them to. So even if the competition isn't perfect, that's a silly comparison. Player A is robbing me, is making plans to rob me in future, and each time the robbery is worse. Player B may rob me in future, therefore it makes no sense to align with player B. Does this make sense to you?
While I agree with some of this noise, I have this to say about Signal. I installed it on my phone a few years ago to facilitate communication for someone, with someone in mainland China. It was used one time that day. The day after I installed it, someone else I knew, who also had Signal, reached out to me ON SIGNAL, to let me know they were glad I was now using Signal. I uninstalled it.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
While I agree with some of this noise, I have this to say about Signal. I installed it on my phone a few years ago to facilitate communication for someone, with someone in mainland China. It was used one time that day. The day after I installed it, someone else I knew, who also had Signal, reached out to me ON SIGNAL, to let me know they were glad I was now using Signal. I uninstalled it.
So? Signal allows you to see who in your contacts list is on the platform (because you can't message them otherwise).

It's a messaging service over the Internet. You used to be able to use the app to send unencrypted SMS texts too by setting it as the default SMS app. They removed that functionality a while ago to remove any illusion of secure messaging when it was just SMS.

These days you can message people without letting them know your number, via a username.

At the time of your messages with your friend, phone numbers were still required to contact people over the platform. This is no longer the case.

Screenshot_20240406_102619.png

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11
Besides, even if it was. Who decides what is "misinformation"?
Generally, public knowledge. Facts. You know, those things. Some things just aren't disputable. Facts. That's kind of their definition.

We've got people believing in crazy shit like "pizzagate" and qanon nuttery because people have forgotten that facts do in fact, matter, and you can't google/[INSERT ALTERNATIVE SEARCH HERE] your way to the truth of your choosing.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Generally, public knowledge. Facts. You know, those things. Some things just aren't disputable. Facts. That's kind of their definition.
I wish that was all that was filtered. Let's agree to disagree. While that may be the definition of the word, that's not always how it's used.

Besides, my point is pretty much that what appears in search is what becomes "public knowledge". Hence my uneasiness when faceless corporations get to decide what is and isn't misinformation.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
I wish that was all that was filtered. Let's agree to disagree.
My man I frequent some communities here most would consider sketch as fuck and they ain't removed from google.
Besides, my point is pretty much that what appears in search is what becomes "public knowledge".
Search online is not a valid source for facts like that, no. You generally need to check sources, even online. Look for publications that have a good track record. Primary and secondary sources. I know not everyone went to college and learned this stuff but that's why we need fact checkers.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
My man I frequent some communities here most would consider sketch as fuck and they ain't removed from google.

Search online is not a valid source for facts like that, no.
Precisely.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Precisely.
It can be a valid source for sources though. Not sure what you are getting at. And since the masses do use it, for better or for worse, I don't see an issue with making it more accessible frankly.

Maybe you are correct we have to agree to disagree I'm just trying to understand though.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
It can be a valid source for sources though. Not sure what you are getting at. And since the masses do use it, for better or for worse, I don't see an issue with making it more accessible frankly.

Maybe you are correct we have to agree to disagree I'm just trying to understand though.
Hence why earlier in the thread I mentioned that Google Scholar was still decent.

My point is not that accessible is bad, but that we should be wary of powerful (and not impartial) entities like Google wielding power of censorship over things they deem "misinformation".

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Hence why earlier in the thread I mentioned that Google Scholar was still decent.

My point is not that accessible is bad, but that we should be wary of powerful (and not impartial) entities like Google wielding power of censorship over things they deem "misinformation".
Yeah, I get that. I guess I just witnessed what misinformation did recently, and am willing to let big tech have a go at it vs going through a future where no one believes anything.

But yeah, there is no way google being the sole censor is ideal. I do miss when the web was more open and competitive. I think we all do.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
As far as I'm concerned, the people paying Google to promote their product/ideology are the customers, that's who they cater to (and the governments who later become employees dictate similar corporate policy as they did political). The people using Google are not the customers and are not catered to, they're the product, enticed by convenience and "free" services.

Yeah, I get that. I guess I just witnessed what misinformation did recently, and am willing to let big tech have a go at it vs going through a future where no one believes anything.

But yeah, there is no way google being the sole censor is ideal. I do miss when the web was more open and competitive. I think we all do.
100%.

Having a toggle where you can turn on/off the "misinformation" would be good, or if the codebase and decision history was transparent like open source software or the blockchain. But it isn't.

Or what Twitter is doing with community notes. That seems decent. If something is to be censored/corrected in the public library of info, let it be transparent, with sources, and public led.

Anyway, I'm off to do some actual work, but this has been a good discussion.

Another good thing about Kagi is that they tell you exactly what changes are being made. It's somewhat accountable.

1712407668142.png

You can bill annually too for a 10% discount.

1712407780629.png

Quick info is available regarding the privacy/security of links, before you click on them too, which is super useful.

1712411204669.png
1712411251725.png

Or being able to block/prioritize domains.

1712411717439.png

Maybe this deserves a comparison with Google?

The #1 link on Google for "Best beginner microcontroller" is: https://www.themechatronicsblog.com...oards-for-beginners-to-professionals.html?m=1

Which is pretty blatantly LLM generated blogspam. Arduino Uno, the #1 recommended platform, is a 2010 era design released 14 years ago. #9 BeagleBone Black isn't even a microcontroller, its a microprocessor comparable to Rasp. Pi. The #2, #3 links are to Reddit and Quora, which are okay and relevant, but not always helpful. These kinds of errors are very much unhelpful, and anyone reading this crap is misled for at least a few minutes as they figure it out.

Worse: If you're actually a beginner in microcontrollers, you may never actually figure out that what you're reading is crap. So if I can't trust the search engine in subjects that I'm good at, how I can I possibly trust Google in a subject that I'm a n00b / beginner at?

----------

Here's the Kagi equivalent search: https://kagi.com/search?q=Best+beginner+microcontroller&r=us&sh=inRLbKMpKjabII3kDwZtRA

It starts with the Reddit and Quora links. But suddenly comes: https://ntn888.github.io/blog/begin-embedded/

And **THIS** github link is very good (!!). Its unavailable anywhere on Google, as far as I can see. So that's what I mean by "better search", I'm finding things that Google cannot find, AND Kagi is filtering out blogspam / LLM crap that Google is unable to filter out. I'm not seeing anything "terrible", and I'm seeing unique searches that Google's left out.

----------

There's crap in the way AND Google is blind to the good links. The more I trial this search engine, the more I'm convinced that "it just works". I don't think I'm "excited", but I'm "pleased". The only downside is the $$/month charge. Kagi is undoubtedly better search.

Last edited:
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Maybe this deserves a comparison with Google?

The #1 link on Google for "Best beginner microcontroller" is: https://www.themechatronicsblog.com...oards-for-beginners-to-professionals.html?m=1

Which is pretty blatantly LLM generated blogspam. Arduino Uno, the #1 recommended platform, is a 2010 era design released 14 years ago. #9 BeagleBone Black isn't even a microcontroller, its a microprocessor comparable to Rasp. Pi. The #2, #3 links are to Reddit and Quora, which are okay and relevant, but not always helpful. These kinds of errors are very much unhelpful, and anyone reading this crap is misled for at least a few minutes as they figure it out.

Worse: If you're actually a beginner in microcontrollers, you may never actually figure out that what you're reading is crap. So if I can't trust the search engine in subjects that I'm good at, how I can I possibly trust Google in a subject that I'm a n00b / beginner at?

----------

Here's the Kagi equivalent search: https://kagi.com/search?q=Best+beginner+microcontroller&r=us&sh=inRLbKMpKjabII3kDwZtRA

It starts with the Reddit and Quora links. But suddenly comes: https://ntn888.github.io/blog/begin-embedded/

And **THIS** github link is very good (!!). Its unavailable anywhere on Google, as far as I can see. So that's what I mean by "better search", I'm finding things that Google cannot find, AND Kagi is filtering out blogspam / LLM crap that Google is unable to filter out. I'm not seeing anything "terrible", and I'm seeing unique searches that Google's left out.

----------

There's crap in the way AND Google is blind to the good links. The more I trial this search engine, the more I'm convinced that "it just works". I don't think I'm "excited", but I'm "pleased". The only downside is the $$/month charge. Kagi is undoubtedly better search.
Im not sure searching 'bestest whatever' is The Way to be searching on search engines. No shit you are getting clickbait, the whole search line is literally clickbait article material.

Nevertheless I do agree there are mountains of junk in search results these days, but 'bestest whatever' is like painting a massive target on your forehead that spells: 'im an idiot, sell me nonsense'. Its like walking into a casino and thinking you wont gamble.

Im not sure searching 'bestest whatever' is The Way to be searching on search engines. No shit you are getting clickbait, the whole search line is literally clickbait article material.

Nevertheless I do agree there are mountains of junk in search results these days, but 'bestest whatever' is like painting a massive target on your forehead 'im an idiot, sell me nonsense'

But Kagi survived the test. I'm not seeing much clickbait at all in the Kagi version.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
But Kagi survived the test. I'm not seeing much clickbait at all in the Kagi version.
Yeah. So Kagi found its way around the #1 sales and ad revenue tactic. Or you can just not add best in your search line. At $60,- a year thats an easy lesson.

I wouldnt overestimate the supposed power of kagi here ;)

So now you know github exists. Your search line might need to involve it.

Yeah. So Kagi found its way around the #1 sales and ad revenue tactic. Or you can just not add best in your search line. At $60,- a year thats an easy lesson.

Well, lets pretend we were doing a microcontroller search for beginners.

What would you type into Google? Can you share those results? And I'll see how Kagi performs with your search instead.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Well, lets pretend we were doing a microcontroller search for beginners.

What would you type into Google? Can you share those results? And I'll see how Kagi performs with your search instead.
Ill provide some comparisons later! Im definitely interested in uncovering the algo here.

So now you know github exists. Your search line might need to involve it.

Isn't that Google's job to know that github is a good source of programming discussion?

I'm a programmer so yeah, I know github is a good source of programming discussion. But would a beginner know that? Why doesn't Google prioritize github like Kagi does?

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Isn't that Google's job to know that github is a good source of programming discussion?

I'm a programmer so yeah, I know github is a good source of programming discussion. But would a beginner know that? Why doesn't Google prioritize github like Kagi does?
Kagi is looking for a niche to charge you $5,- a month. Google is not ;)

Its really that simple I think