• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Locked VCCIN

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
What CPU?

ThrottleStop VCCIN adjustment only works on older 4th Gen CPUs. I believe control of VCCIN was removed from the FIVR in the newer CPUs.

timmy4343425

i5-4300U. I was using power cut to try to stop throttling, and it worked once, but after I restarted my laptop it stopped working. Do I have to reapply it every time I restart?

unclewebb

What version of ThrottleStop are you using? The PowerCut feature should be saved in ThrottleStop 9.6.

For many years ThrottleStop never used to save the PowerCut setting. I still think it is best to manually enable PowerCut each time you want to use it. Other users do not agree with my thinking so I caved in. The PowerCut and VCCIN settings should be saved now. I just tried this on my 4th Gen laptop and it works correctly. It should also re-enable PowerCut after you do a sleep resume cycle as long as you leave ThrottleStop running, minimized to the system tray.

unclewebb

does power cut cause crashing?
PowerCut is just a name for locking the VCCIN voltage value. If your computer crashes when using this feature it is because of the VCCIN voltage setting that you are using. My 4th Gen laptop never crashes if VCCIN is set to 1.80V. If I set VCCIN to 1.75V or lower, it will crash. I have seen other users with the exact same CPU as I have and they can run reliably at a much lower VCCIN voltage compared to what my CPU needs.

I have never tested this feature on a 4th Gen U series CPU. What is your VCCIN voltage set to?

unclewebb

1.7V seems way too low. Try 1.75V and if that is not stable try 1.80V.

VCCIN is the input voltage. It needs to be set much higher than the voltage going to the CPU.

Crashes can also be caused by overly aggressive core or cache undervolt settings. The 4th Gen U CPUs are already low power CPUs so they do not have as much headroom to undervolt. Post a FIVR screenshot if you need help.

timmy4343425

Thats the highest I can go with power cut saying enabled. If I try to put it higher, it just says disabled.

unclewebb

Are you rebooting each time?

PowerCut locks the VCCIN voltage so you have to reboot to unlock it before you can change it.

Set VCCIN back to Default before exiting ThrottleStop and before rebooting.

timmy4343425

1687466998103.png
This is what I mean. When I try to make it higher, the power cut says disabled. Any idea?

unclewebb

What happens when you press the Apply button?

My computer also shows Disabled in that box. As soon as I press the Apply button, it changes to Enabled.
The monitoring table then shows that VCCIN is locked. That confirms that PowerCut is enabled.

1687470834211.png

Your screenshot shows that you set VCCIN to 2.0000V. It is possible that for some unknown reason that your CPU cannot lock VCCIN past a certain point. I have never heard of that problem before. The PowerCut trick was originally tested on the MQ processors like the 4700MQ that I have. I have never tested this trick on a 4th Gen U CPU like you have. I can enable PowerCut at any VCCIN voltage between 1.75V and 2.30V.

Last edited:

timmy4343425

1687474082729.png
Yeah I really don't know. And when I set the VCCIN to 1.74 and power cut is enable it doesn't work for some reason.

Wait I found out why it doesnt work. I was applying it while not idle.

unclewebb

I was applying it while not idle.
I do not recall ever having that problem. PowerCut has always engaged for me whether the CPU is idle or at full load.

If you engage PowerCut when the CPU is not idle, power consumption will be reported much higher, even when the CPU returns to idle. This does not mean that PowerCut is not enabled. It just means that you enabled it at the wrong time. Look for the Lock word near the VCCIN value in the FIVR monitoring table to determine if PowerCut is enabled or not.

Last edited:

timmy4343425

I figured out power cut, but it shuts down my laptop at times. Do you know a good VCCIN for me?

Last edited:

unclewebb

Do you know a good VCCIN for me?
Nope. I have never used PowerCut on a 4th Gen U series processor. My 4700MQ is happy at a VCCIN of 1.80V.

Perhaps your core or cache undervolt is too aggressive. My 4700MQ is not 100% stable past about -40 mV. It has very little undervolting headroom. I would suggest reducing your undervolt while playing with VCCIN.

timmy4343425

Hmm. The thing is I experience some thermal throttling while using power cut but I will try it.

unclewebb

U series laptops might not have the necessary power delivery or cooling available when using PowerCut. Manufacturers did not design their laptops around the PowerCut feature.

toniroller

Hi there,
I'm using TS 9.6 on a i5-4570T and I tried the trick of setting a VCCIN value and pressing on PowerCut and the PKG Power bug appeared as intended. The problem is... how can I go back? I mean, I'm not able to make the "lock" word on VCCIN value table disappear even if I untick PowerCut, set VCCIN to "zero" again, restart, delete cfg file, etc... it's always showing Lock at Mode and 1.5000 (the value I tried) at Voltage.
Thanks in advance for the help

PD. sorry the last option of making a BIOS reset worked.

Last edited: