• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

M2-ATX Power Supply problem

shlomis123

Hi,
I am trying to activate an old robot (WhiteBoxRobotics 914 PC-BOT) as part of a lab project I am doing, and it is activated by two M2-ATX power supplies.

The robot had two old ones (probably from around 2006-7), and they had a problem of only outputting 12V without outputting 5V (which is needed for some of the robot's features), as shown in image 1.
I bought a new pair of M2-ATXs and connected it the exact same way as the old ones, where one of them (the main one, left in the image) is connected in mode P1 (where a single jumper is connected in the A port) and the other one is working in PSU mode (no jumpers at all), as shown in image 2.

When I tried to use the robot the same way as before, the PSU one did not seem to output any current at all.

As shown in mini-box's website (the company that manufactures it) they updated the way PSU mode works in 2008~, and featured a UPS mode.
I am a computer science student and not engineering student, I have no experience with electronics what so ever.
Please help on making the PSU mode work as it should, outputting 12V and 5V.
Thanks!

I tried to upload the images directly but failed, so I am linking it:
image 1 (the old ones):
https://ibb.co/txvSPpS

image 2 (the new ones, connected to the robot):
https://ibb.co/LxtXcT6

The specs of the new ones:
https://resources.mini-box.com/online/PWR-M2-ATX/PWR-M2-ATX-manual-engl.pdf

The specs of the old ones:
https://static.mini-itx.com/store/information/m2-atx-manual.pdf

The new UPS mode:
https://resources.mini-box.com/online/PWR-M2-ATX/UPS-mode-functionality.pdf

Processor AMD 7600x
Motherboard Asrock x670e Steel Legend
Cooling Silver Arrow Extreme IBe Rev B with 2x 120 Gentle Typhoons
Memory 4x16Gb Patriot Viper Non RGB @ 6000 30-36-36-36-40
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT MERC 319
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 1Tb NVME
Display(s) 3x Dell Ultrasharp U2414h
Case Coolermaster Stacker 832
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower PF3 850 watt
Mouse Logitech G502 (OG)
Keyboard Logitech G512
So looking at the everything:

Old PSUs:
Theses are suffering from the Capacitor plague that was pretty common around that era. You can replace the caps with same voltage/capacity models and it should restore the functionality.

New PSUs:
Make sure there is 12V going to J1 and J3 and J4 has a good ground.

shlomis123

So looking at the everything:

Old PSUs:
Theses are suffering from the Capacitor plague that was pretty common around that era. You can replace the caps with same voltage/capacity models and it should restore the functionality.

New PSUs:
Make sure there is 12V going to J1 and J3 and J4 has a good ground.
Thanks for the reply!
About the old ones, yea, i figured. But I still want the new ones to work.
About the new ones - I did make sure that there is a good 12V to J1 and J3, and J4 is good aswell.
Unfortunately I think the problem is regarding their new settings, not connections to the M2-ATX itself

Processor AMD 7600x
Mouse Logitech G502 (OG)
Keyboard Logitech G512
Thanks for the reply!
About the old ones, yea, i figured. But I still want the new ones to work.
About the new ones - I did make sure that there is a good 12V to J1 and J3, and J4 is good aswell.
Unfortunately I think the problem is regarding their new settings, not connections to the M2-ATX itself
So looking at the images etc I would check to make sure 12V is definately on the J3 on the PSU on the left

With the Jumper on Pin A the moment 12V is lost on J3 if will send a shutdown command after 5 secs. After 60 secs it would turn off all outputs to conserve power.

IF this is purely being used as a PSU then I would say you could remove jumpers and remove the J3 connectors. HOWEVER that would mean until you disconnect the batteries the PSU would run until it reaches 6V (damaging territory for 12V batteries).

I would personally leave J3 but you need to make sure the Voltage supply stays above 11.2 Volts otherwise the PSU enters power conservation mode and wont turn back on till it sees more than 11.2 Volts. This is the safeset long term operation.

shlomis123

So looking at the images etc I would check to make sure 12V is definately on the J3 on the PSU on the left

With the Jumper on Pin A the moment 12V is lost on J3 if will send a shutdown command after 5 secs. After 60 secs it would turn off all outputs to conserve power.

IF this is purely being used as a PSU then I would say you could remove jumpers and remove the J3 connectors. HOWEVER that would mean until you disconnect the batteries the PSU would run until it reaches 6V (damaging territory for 12V batteries).

I would personally leave J3 but you need to make sure the Voltage supply stays above 11.2 Volts otherwise the PSU enters power conservation mode and wont turn back on till it sees more than 11.2 Volts. This is the safeset long term operation.
The left one is functioning fine, outputting 12V and 5V. The right one (the one with no jumpers at all) does not output any current at all. Both of them receive 12V properly, through two 12V batteries and external power combined.
I will try to remove the jumper from the left one, but I think I have tried it already in the past.

Processor AMD 7600x
Mouse Logitech G502 (OG)
Keyboard Logitech G512
The left one is functioning fine, outputting 12V and 5V. The right one (the one with no jumpers at all) does not output any current at all. Both of them receive 12V properly, through two 12V batteries and external power combined.
I will try to remove the jumper from the left one, but I think I have tried it already in the past.
J8 is the On/Off button from the Motherboard. For testing put a simple momentary switch on J9 to see if the PSU starts up.

If it does then the PSU isnt seeing an "on" command from the mobo through J8

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Recapping the old one might be the easiest route and if they then don't work, the problem may be elsewhere.

Last edited:

shlomis123

J8 is the On/Off button from the Motherboard. For testing put a simple momentary switch on J9 to see if the PSU starts up.

Thanks! I'll try

Recapping the old one might be the easiest route and if they then don't work, the problem may be elsewhere.
I am trying to avoid it, but if I will not have a choice I'll do it. Thanks

shlomis123

I have connected a switch to J9, but it still does not work. It seems the problem is not in the ON command

Processor AMD 7600x
Mouse Logitech G502 (OG)
Keyboard Logitech G512
Sounding more like a possible DOA unit