• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Modding Phanteks Evolv mATX case to fit ATX board -- possible?

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
So...like the title suggests, I have the crazy idea to mod my Phanteks Evolv mATX so it'll fit ATX sized motherboards, in addition to the mATX and ITX sizes it already fits. My idea is especially ballsy, as I've never done much modding outside of my dad painting my cases, but now that he's no longer with us, I either have to do it myself or pay up and have it done for me. The latter option, according to the nice peeps over at ModMyMods (where I got my case's airflow panels and custom graphics from) would cost anywhere from $300-$500, roughly...So, yeah, rather pricey and ultimately out of my reach.

So, if I ultimately want to undertake this task, I'll have to do it myself. My only question is, can it be done?

Alternatively, I could just buy a different case.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Physical dimensions of case and motherboard probably rule this out
mATX has what 1 PCIx 16 slot and 1 PCIx 1 slot
ATX has a combination of up to 7 Slots for PCIx 16 /PCIx4/PCIx1

You would be Better Served either buying new case or a second hand one from a local market/seller

Buying a s/h case is a no brainer its just preformed metal and plastic its not like buying s/h electronic components
Just make sure it has all the Blanking plates and carriers for Disk drives

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
just chop the end of the board off

(no, this is likely not possible without high end tools and skills)

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
If I were to get a new case, I'd prefer one from Phanteks, but I can't decide between the P600S (for its removable front and top panels) or something cheaper like the P360X (which I'd paint silver) or go for the middle ground in the P500A.

Twistgripper

...idea to mod my Phanteks Evolv mATX so it'll fit ATX sized motherboards...... can it be done?
Just had to resurrect this old post lol...as i wanted to do this as well.

YES it can be done.

(edit) - just saw another example and all the guy had to do was remove the PSU shroud - drill out the rivets and remove. then mount the mobo - said the existing standoffs lined up in his case...maybe they would here too.
Then modify the psu shroud as needed and reinstall it. part of the motherboard will be covered up so it wont look super pretty but it should work.

NO you probably should not - unless esthetics is not important or you have a lot of spare time to do it in a way that looks good still:

- height wise, you'd only have 5-10mm top and bottom to snake wires under, and around and over the board - super tight...ok but do-able, and you could always cut or drill new access holes for wires as needed.
- you'll have to drill and place your own standoff locations (not hard to do) as the stock ones almost surely won't line up
- looking at an atx board pic, you'll see that the GPU slot is almost at the middle height of the board - while on Matx it is much lower. That means you'll need to also:
- cut and extend the i/o slot upwards with a dremel or air rotary tool
- glue in a mount to secure the gpu at rear of case, as there are no slots that high up
- move the rear fan up to the top of the case, which means drilling a whole bunch of air holes a the top of rear panel.

All of these things are do-able, but it might be noticeably ugly inside the case... but would be mostly hidden. and the rear of the case would certainly be a fugly mess. And to make it look good (again - do -able) would require many many hours of work.
And forget about ever adding water cooling likely.

I'd love to try it, as I never plan on water cooling....but i really dont have the time to spare.

Last edited: