• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Non-Virtualized Dolby Atmos Height channels-Win10 PC + 2 diff 5.1 AV systems, FX configurator with "Atmos for Speakers" Software

chromecut

Im shocked nobody else thought of this oh so obvious problem and maybe solution

the sickening fact that a brand new 5.1 or 7.1 system cannot receive atmos so ONLY 2 options is bite the bullet and get a new AVR
or an over priced fake atmos soundbar that is "3D" virtualization of atmos-I did locate an 8 channel "puck" that feeds a wireless system
that can add atmos to 5.1 but requires proprietary height speakers for over $500
*I still need to figure out how to mute the non-height channels so any advice on a gui for channel separation would be great*
specs* Z906 fed dolby digital via optical out from Hisense TV which is fed by either shieldTV or HTPC R10 alienware with rx6500xt HDMI out
to TV then the R10 optical out to a samsung HTS-4500 blueray 5.1 AV
using "dolby atmos for speakers" software from APO driver or was it "Dolby Atmos by The True Tech Group" or maybe "atmos for gaming"
from another lad online as I havent had good luck with APO driver on dell aurora puters but these packages contained drivers
anybody know how to extract the drivers from APO driver? Sorry my brain is mush over something shoulds have been easy
so a few edits in default.xml, default_settings.xml as well as a OEM headphone pre-set
I had found a dolby .xml a few years back that had external_speaker and internal_speaker where headphone option normally is and it got
me thinking maybe?-now this is after messing with cavern, equalizer apo and hesuvi-wow! no easy way to run atmos from pc even though
the tools should be able to but the cavern vst .txt example is not in correct format(I tried to make separate channel and filter pages using peace equalizer to link to main cavern EQ-APO default but no joy-same with hesuvi(I found a dolby speaker .wav but no speaker atmos only for crappy headphones! AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGG! same with cavern realtime which is looking like it doesnt actually decode atmos it just replicates it but forum after forum with zero guidance on what I would think would be huge-real time non fake atmos from netflix for example-Im not ripping bluerays and rendering files thats silly when there is a better and easier way-so the z906 gets dolby digital plus unedited at the same time the samsung is getting the front heights one of the .xml has verbage "rear-height-filter mode" so I am hoping to add those but unsure how to redirect sides or rears to heights accept maybe equalizer apo but trying that and vermeeter banana virtual cables, etc was a horrible experience-the samsung blueray has MAT encoder and i thought about hacking it and reroute the channels in its "bios" but there has to be a way to catch the stream and use SL=RLTH and SR=RRT-ive zeroed out the virualization settings "virtualizer-partial-height-mode" and "height_mode"
which is for headphones and my guess is in doing so prives pure atmos albeit lossy dolby digital plus and not TrueHD atmos but doubtful
theres a differnce unless using hiugh end gear
any ideas?

Last edited:
System Name predator helios 300
Processor intel(r) core(tm) i7-7700HQ @ 2.80ghz
Motherboard laptop acer predator helios g3-572
Cooling laptop acer predator helios g3-572
Memory 16gb 2400mhz 2 slots
Video Card(s) nvidia gtx 1060 laptop
Storage internal 237gb hdd internal 931gb hdd external 3tb hdd usb3.0
Display(s) 1 internal laptop 1 hdmi 100hz aoc 27g2g3
Case laptop
Audio Device(s) ultimea posiden d60 (5.1 speakers) hyper cloudx 2 (headphones)
Power Supply laptop
Mouse razer naga trinity v2
Keyboard razer huntsman TKL v2
VR HMD N/A

the sickening fact that a brand new 5.1 or 7.1 system cannot receive atmos so ONLY 2 options is bite the bullet and get a new AVR
or an over priced fake atmos soundbar that is "3D" virtualization of atmos-I did locate an 8 channel "puck" that feeds a wireless system
that can add atmos to 5.1 but requires proprietary height speakers for over $500
*I still need to figure out how to mute the non-height channels so any advice on a gui for channel separation would be great*
specs* Z906 fed dolby digital via optical out from Hisense TV which is fed by either shieldTV or HTPC R10 alienware with rx6500xt HDMI out
using "dolby atmos for speakers" software from APO driver or was it "Dolby Atmos by The True Tech Group" or maybe "atmos for gaming"
from another lad online as I havent had good luck with APO driver on dell aurora puters but these packages contained drivers
anybody know how to extract the drivers from APO driver? Sorry my brain is mush over something shoulds have been easy
so a few edits in default.xml, default_settings.xml as well as a OEM headphone pre-set
I had found a dolby .xml a few years back that had external_speaker and internal_speaker where headphone option normally is and it got
me thinking maybe?-now this is after messing with cavern, equalizer apo and hesuvi-wow! no easy way to run atmos from pc even though
the tools should be able to but the cavern vst .txt example is not in correct format(I tried to make separate channel and filter pages using peace equalizer to link to main cavern EQ-APO default but no joy-same with hesuvi(I found a dolby speaker .wav but no speaker atmos only for crappy headphones! AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGG! same with cavern realtime which is looking like it doesnt actually decode atmos it just replicates it but forum after forum with zero guidance on what I would think would be huge-real time non fake atmos from netflix for example-Im not ripping bluerays and rendering files thats silly when there is a better and easier way-so the z906 gets dolby digital plus unedited at the same time the samsung is getting the front heights one of the .xml has verbage "rear-height-filter mode" so I am hoping to add those but unsure how to redirect sides or rears to heights accept maybe equalizer apo but trying that and vermeeter banana virtual cables, etc was a horrible experience-the samsung blueray has MAT encoder and i thought about hacking it and reroute the channels in its "bios" but there has to be a way to catch the stream and use SL=RLTH and SR=RRT-ive zeroed out the virualization settings "virtualizer-partial-height-mode" and "height_mode"
which is for headphones and my guess is in doing so prives pure atmos albeit lossy dolby digital plus and not TrueHD atmos but doubtful
any ideas?
a few thangs 1 you do understand atmos is just dolby digital plus or true hd with meta data added so any system that can play dolby digital plus can downmix to support atmos which is what netflix dose it is still real atmos just sense u dont have the hight speakers so dolbys tech downmixes itself to fit in your 5.1 system u cannot hear any difference in sound when useing a 5.1 atmos soundbar i have one myself and used atmos until my hdmi audio extractor broke now i use optical with these apo drivers for dolby digital plus aswell as dolby prologic 2x https://puresoftapps.blogspot.com/2018/04/realtek-apo-driver.html i use dolby digital plus home theater then i have that running thru a usb to optical connection with this i get dolby digital plus and true hd and atmos support i dont have the real hight channels but i do get the higher bitrates the upmixing aswell as full 7.1 surround sound support so when i upgrade my soundbar ill then get 7.1 atmos isnt really anythang to rave about unless its on headphones or you have hight channels why? simple weve had the tech for years starting with prologic 2z in 2009 but atmos evolved it the only issue with atmos is most atmos content dosent use the hight channels much and content that dose sounds amazing but on a 5.1 system your not gonna hear any difference in audio at all if u want better quality dolby digital plus or true hd would be your best bet

aswell if u want better 5.1 quality start looking at pcm and ieee float these two codecs are uncompressed and can be sent over a optical connection with the apo drivers iv linked and media player classic BE anythang from dolby to dts turns into pcm or ieee float with my setup it sounds the exact same from when i was useing hdmi when i have dolby digital plus enabled the only issue iv found is atmos games or games with object baced surround need a virtual soundcard called fxsound to work properly once u enable fxsound and disable dd+ youll have object baced surround games running in 5.1 or 7.1 if anythang is made for channel baced surround then itll work fine with these drivers atmos hype is overrated and to be frank atmos isnt worth it to run out and drop 3 grand on a system unless u can have at least 2 hight channels if you cant do that just stick with 5.1 or 7.1 dolby digital plus isnt going anywhare any time soon its still wildly used today and still brings great quality to a surround speaker system atmos dolby digital plus dts lpcm it all no longer matters to be honest you can get amazing quality out of danm near everythang besides dolby digital ac3 at 41000hz thats the only thang u should be trying to not use is dolby digital besides that i see no reason to try to use atmos on your hardware

a few thangs 1 you do understand atmos is just dolby digital plus or true hd with meta data added so any system that can play dolby digital plus can downmix to support atmos which is what netflix dose it is still real atmos just sense u dont have the hight speakers so dolbys tech downmixes itself to fit in your 5.1 system u cannot hear any difference in sound when useing a 5.1 atmos soundbar i have one myself and used atmos until my hdmi audio extractor broke now i use optical with these apo drivers for dolby digital plus aswell as dolby prologic 2x https://puresoftapps.blogspot.com/2018/04/realtek-apo-driver.html i use dolby digital plus home theater then i have that running thru a usb to optical connection with this i get dolby digital plus and true hd and atmos support i dont have the real hight channels but i do get the higher bitrates the upmixing aswell as full 7.1 surround sound support so when i upgrade my soundbar ill then get 7.1 atmos isnt really anythang to rave about unless its on headphones or you have hight channels why? simple weve had the tech for years starting with prologic 2z in 2009 but atmos evolved it the only issue with atmos is most atmos content dosent use the hight channels much and content that dose sounds amazing but on a 5.1 system your not gonna hear any difference in audio at all if u want better quality dolby digital plus or true hd would be your best bet

aswell if u want better 5.1 quality start looking at pcm and ieee float these two codecs are uncompressed and can be sent over a optical connection with the apo drivers iv linked and media player classic BE anythang from dolby to dts turns into pcm or ieee float with my setup it sounds the exact same from when i was useing hdmi when i have dolby digital plus enabled the only issue iv found is atmos games or games with object baced surround need a virtual soundcard called fxsound to work properly once u enable fxsound and disable dd+ youll have object baced surround games running in 5.1 or 7.1 if anythang is made for channel baced surround then itll work fine with these drivers atmos hype is overrated and to be frank atmos isnt worth it to run out and drop 3 grand on a system unless u can have at least 2 hight channels if you cant do that just stick with 5.1 or 7.1 dolby digital plus isnt going anywhare any time soon its still wildly used today and still brings great quality to a surround speaker system atmos dolby digital plus dts lpcm it all no longer matters to be honest you can get amazing quality out of danm near everythang besides dolby digital ac3 at 41000hz thats the only thang u should be trying to not use is dolby digital besides that i see no reason to try to use atmos on your hardware
if you want a atmos experince but cant afford hight channels your best bet would be to use dolby atmos for headphones it works really well and replicates my sound system pretty decently

any ideas?
Cavern is the route you need to go if you aren't trying to use an encoder+dynamic objects. You will need CavernSplitter, the VST plugin for EAPO. Once you set it up accordingly it will generate height effects and route to speakers you have assigned as height. Cavern splitter uses similar methods as the MAT encoder when dealing with mapping ATMOS channels for W11. It will copy your surrounds to your rear channels and remap/assign the rear R/L to be height channels. It then routes all height effects. I had decent outcome playing around with it on my onboard realtek1220. With some more tweaking I'm sure it can be made to sound good, I just have no need to tweak it to find that spot as I have an AVR. Use pro-logic LLZ upmixer (attached along with general cavernsplitter config) and you are off to a good start.

Code:
Copy: TFL=L TFR=R TRL=RL TRR=RR TSL=SL TSR=SR
Channel: L TFL
VSTPlugin: Library "CavernSplitter x64.dll"
Channel: R TFR
Channel: RL TRL
Channel: RR TRR
Channel: SL TSL
Channel: SR TSR
Copy: RL=RL+SL RR=RR+SR SL=TFL+TRL+TSL SR=TFR+TRR+TSR
Copy: LCS=TFL RCS=TFR RLCS=TRL RRCS=TRR SLCS=TSL SRCS=TSR
Channel: LCS RCS RLCS RRCS SLCS SRCS
Filter: ON LP Fc 120 Hz
Filter: ON LP Fc 120 Hz
Channel: TFL TFR TRL TRR TSL TSR
Filter: ON HP Fc 120 Hz
Filter: ON HP Fc 120 Hz
Copy: L=L+LCS R=R+RCS RL=RL+RLCS RR=RR+RRCS SL=SLCS+SL SR=SRCS+SR

Code:
Stage: pre-mix
If: inputChannelCount == 2 or inputChannelCount == 0
Eval: UPMIXING=true
Channel: L R

Copy: LI=L RI=R
Channel: LI RI
Delay: 13 ms
Preamp: -8 dB

Filter 1: ON HPQ Fc 100 Hz Q 0.541
Filter 2: ON HPQ Fc 100 Hz Q 1.307
Filter 3: ON LPQ Fc 8000 Hz Q 0.541
Filter 4: ON LPQ Fc 8000 Hz Q 1.307

Eval: Q = 1/sqrt(2)

Eval: freq = 105
Eval: omega = 2 * pi * freq / sampleRate
Eval: sn = sin(omega)
Eval: cs = cos(omega)
Eval: alpha = sn / (2 * Q)
Eval: aa = 1 - alpha
Eval: ab = -2 * cs
Eval: ac = 1 + alpha
Filter 5: ON IIR Order 2 Coefficients `aa` `ab` `ac` `ac` `ab` `aa`

Eval: freq = 220
Filter 6: ON IIR Order 2 Coefficients `aa` `ab` `ac` `ac` `ab` `aa`

Eval: freq = 450
Filter 7: ON IIR Order 2 Coefficients `aa` `ab` `ac` `ac` `ab` `aa`

Eval: freq = 1280
Filter 8: ON IIR Order 2 Coefficients `aa` `ab` `ac` `ac` `ab` `aa`

Eval: freq = 2200
Filter 9: ON IIR Order 2 Coefficients `aa` `ab` `ac` `ac` `ab` `aa`

Eval: freq = 3000
Filter 10: ON IIR Order 2 Coefficients `aa` `ab` `ac` `ac` `ab` `aa`

Eval: freq = 5700
Filter 11: ON IIR Order 2 Coefficients `aa` `ab` `ac` `ac` `ab` `aa`

Eval: freq = 6600
Filter 12: ON IIR Order 2 Coefficients `aa` `ab` `ac` `ac` `ab` `aa`

Eval: freq = 7600
Filter 13: ON IIR Order 2 Coefficients `aa` `ab` `ac` `ac` `ab` `aa`

Copy: CX=0.353553*L+0.353553*R

Copy: L=0.50*L R=0.50*R C=CX LFE=CX SL=-0.4359*LI+0.415*RI SR=-0.4359*RI+0.415*LI TL=0.4359*LI+0.415*RI TR=0.4359*RI+-0.415*LI

Channel: SL SR TL TR
Filter 1: ON LPQ Fc 24000 Hz Q 0.541
Filter 2: ON LPQ Fc 24000 Hz Q 1.307

Channel: C
Filter 1: ON HPQ Fc 70 Hz Q 0.541
Filter 2: ON HPQ Fc 70 Hz Q 1.307
Filter 3: ON LPQ Fc 20000 Hz Q 0.541
Filter 4: ON LPQ Fc 20000 Hz Q 1.307

Channel: LFE
Filter 1: ON LPQ Fc 120 Hz Q 0.541
Filter 2: ON LPQ Fc 120 Hz Q 1.307

EndIf: