• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PKG Power much higher than usual

runna23

I have an i9750h which ran low pkg power but then randomly it started to go back to the normal CPU power ranges like it wasn't undervolted I have my CPU undervolted but the power level isn't going down It just happened today that it was running perfectly fine undervolted and low power and now high power still undervolted and now with this high power I am reaching 100c and can't use my CPU for anything intensive anymore I tried resetting my settings for throttle stop didn't work I reset my whole windows didn't work any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• cpu1.PNG
    cpu1.PNG
    60.7 KB · Views: 37
  • cpu2.PNG
    cpu2.PNG
    18.5 KB · Views: 33

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Check the Log File box on the main screen of ThrottleStop and go play a game for 15 minutes. When done testing, attach a log file to your next post so I can see this problem.

Try running the TS Bench 960M test. Setting the cache voltage to an offset of -170 mV is aggressive. Most computers are not 100% stable at this voltage setting. Does your computer crash or does this test report any errors?

Check the MMIO Lock box in the TPL window.

runna23

The thing is I have been running this for months without any issues it was just yesterday when this randomly happened All my problem is it is running at a higher power level which is making my CPU hot it was normal before and I haven't changed anything for throttlestop or anything so I don't know why this would happen and no I do not have any crashes and when I took the 960m test it does show errors, And for now I have set my mhz to 3000 and my temps are 85c which is not dangerous but performance is lost when you decrease the frequency.

Attachments

• 2024-05-12.txt
    82.1 KB · Views: 14
  • tsbench.PNG
    tsbench.PNG
    15.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

unclewebb

I have been running this for months without any issues
Most people think that as long as a computer does not crash that it must be stable. The errors that the TS Bench reports is like an early warning sign. The errors the CPU is generating are not significant enough to cause an immediate crash but over time, do not be surprised if Windows or some of your files slowly become corrupted.

it is running at a higher power level
Did you check the Task Manager for any new items running in the background? That is the usual cause of power consumption suddenly increasing.

The screenshot you posted shows that both turbo power limits are set to 28W but the log file shows PL1 power limit throttling at 35W. Did you make any changes to your settings?

The 9750H has a 45W TDP rating. If your CPU is overheating at only 35W, it is time to clean out your laptop and replace the thermal paste if necessary. Try using Honeywell PTM 7950. It works better for longer compared to many similar pastes. Some popular thermal pastes will quickly pump out when applied direct die to mobile CPUs.

runna23

No, nothing new for background apps by the way this issue occurred when I tried to relaunch a game, and then in-game I noticed my performance drop, and here I am. I am too scared that I will break something If I try to clean it out and etc also what is the problem if my turbo power limits are set to 28W and it is power limiting at 35W what are you trying to say about my throttlestop settings it might be something inside my throttlestop settings that randomly broke because there was no sign of anything breaking are my throttlestop settings good? Can you confirm if my CPU is the problem or something application wise?

So, I am assuming I can't do anything about the high power?

Last edited:

unclewebb

what is the problem if my turbo power limits are set to 28W and it is power limiting at 35W what are you trying to say about my throttlestop settings it might be something inside my throttlestop settings
Now I see the problem. In the screenshot you posted you did not check Short Power PL2. Some internet guide used to recommend clearing that box. Bad idea.

When the Short Power PL2 box is not checked, the 28W PL2 power limit that you have requested will not be sent to the CPU. That is why your CPU was power limit throttling at 35W instead of 28W. Check the Short Power PL2 box, check both Lock Boxes and check both Clamp boxes. This is the best way to 100% enforce the 28W power limit.

If you need to change the 28W limit, you will need to reboot to unlock the CPU.

1715625882792.png

Now watch some YouTube videos to see how easy it is to replace the thermal paste. Your laptop has a cooling problem that needs to be fixed.

runna23

Thanks for this fix but is there nothing I can do about reducing the package power back to its normal state? Also why would I want to power limit all that does is reduce my performance when my CPU is using 28w

unclewebb

why would I want to power limit all that does is reduce my performance
Your performance is already being reduced because your CPU is overheating and thermal throttling. When a CPU is running at 97°C to 98°C and constantly bouncing off the thermal throttling limit, performance is going to randomly vary. Power consumption will also randomly vary.

I have no idea if your power consumption issue is a real problem or not. The main problem is poor cooling which you are not willing to fix. I wish I could help you more but I cannot.

runna23

So for the poor cooling I should just replace thermal paste and give it a good clean? I hope it isn't a major problem inside the laptop itself other than cleaning it it is a used laptop I have used throttlestop to get good temps after temps started to get high for my GPU and CPU. If it works after cleaning I can finally run my CPU at full speed instead of reducing because of overheating.

unclewebb

If it works after cleaning I can finally run my CPU at full speed instead of reducing because of overheating.
Many laptops with 9750H processors cannot run at full speed indefinitely even when they are brand new and everything is perfect. A thorough cleaning and some properly applied high end paste like Honeywell PTM 7950 should help performance significantly. Some users go for whatever cheap paste they can find locally and end up with worse cooling problems. The cooling system has to be close to perfect for a 9750H to run like it should.

I believe your increased power consumption is due to the High Performance mode set in Windows power plans.

This causes your Speed Shift to be set to 0 keeping your clocks at maximum but more importantly this sets PCI Express power management to off (Control Panel > Power Options > Advanced Power Settings > PCI Express).

In my experience with an i7-9750H this represents an increase of ~10W in power consumption at full load (Cinebench).

Change to maximum power saving on PCI Express or change the plan to Balanced.

Other than that, you need to change the thermal paste on your laptop.

runna23

Many laptops with 9750H processors cannot run at full speed indefinitely even when they are brand new and everything is perfect. A thorough cleaning and some properly applied high end paste like Honeywell PTM 7950 should help performance significantly. Some users go for whatever cheap paste they can find locally and end up with worse cooling problems. The cooling system has to be close to perfect for a 9750H to run like it should.
I was just wondering can it be another problem except the thermal paste maybe a motherboard problem causing high temp for my cpu? You said before that my cpu has a power rating of 45w and if my cpu is running under that it should not be overheating? I have seen other people with the same cpu running 70 watts I don’t understand what my power consumption should be normally.

Last edited:

runna23

Power consumption varies depending on what a manufacturer or owner sets the power limits to. It can also vary depending on the CPU. Each CPU is unique.
I took my laptop to a repair shop and he found that is was dirty the battery was swollen and the thermal paste was liquid now it is replaced but can this battery problem be the cause of the increased power consumption? And also what should I do about this battery continue using it or replace.

Last edited:

unclewebb

can this battery problem be the cause of the increased power consumption?
Probably not.

what should I do about this battery continue using it or replace.
You can continue using your bloated battery until ultimately it starts leaking or shorts out and catches on fire. A better idea would be to replace the battery before you permanently damage your laptop.

runna23

This isn’t a related question to cpus or anything but my gpu temps have increased after replacing the thermal paste now instead of my cpu it’s the gpu temps that are increased do you have any suggestions?

unclewebb

If you replace the thermal paste and temperatures go up, you either botched the job or you used a thermal paste that does not work well in laptops. Many users have had success with Honeywell PTM 7950. I have not replaced the thermal paste in 10 years in my laptop. I may not be the best source of information about what works best in recent laptops.