• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Playstation VR 2

Vive Pro 2 looks great on paper, but it is not such a great experience based on reviews. Better to get Valve Index. Everything about PSVR 2 being a good experience is 100% speculation and wishing. Only time and reviews will tell. I wouldn't buy index right now. It's olden tech by now. HODOR!

I've never tried Vive Pro 2. What VR's have you tried? And what is your favourite based on your experience?

I think VR tech will progress rapidly in the next few years. I currently do not own one, but have tried some out.

The only reason I haven’t purchased the quest 2 is because it could do with being sharper. The graphics are not quite there yet for me. So I will wait until the tech progresses to allow a much sharper image for the same kind of money.

I can see VR eventually being used in the movie world. Would be pretty awesome watching a movie and having that submersive experience. It would probably work from a stationary perspective, allowing you to look in 4 directions for example.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Sechs
Processor i7 14700K / i7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / X99S GAMING 7
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Case Phantek "400A" / Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series”
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Azalia Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / Corsair CXM CX600M
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes
I've never tried Vive Pro 2. What VR's have you tried? And what is your favourite based on your experience?

I think VR tech will progress rapidly in the next few years. I currently do not own one, but have tried some out.

The only reason I haven’t purchased the quest 2 is because it could do with being sharper. The graphics are not quite there yet for me. So I will wait until the tech progresses to allow a much sharper image for the same kind of money.

I can see VR eventually being used in the movie world. Would be pretty awesome watching a movie and having that submersive experience. It would probably work from a stationary perspective, allowing you to look in 4 directions for example.
I don't know who told you that the Quest 2 was not sharp enough, but I believe you would be very surprised at how good it really is visually. It's right at 4k which makes viewing Movies in VR really nice. I can say Vive and below was bad for watching videos due to being very pixelated. Since, the Rift S videos have been great in VR and Quest 2 is even better. I don't see a VR HMD beating the Quest 2 at it's quality and price point. I'd say the tech is there if you want to jump in on a budget, but still have a high-end experience. If you don't mind paying a premium then I'd wait for Cambria, Index 2 or PSVR 2.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
CGI would be medium to work in with respect to VR movies. 360 degree movies, for example, are very difficult to do with live actors. The reason for this is that a typical set / scene focuses narrowly on a specific area. Behind the scenes is a hot mess of crew members, cranes, tracks, cabling, lighting and so on. The post production to erase all of that would be cost prohibitive especially for what would be a niche market.

3D would be a lot easier then 360 degree but there already was a quasi recent attempt at that with early 4K TV and it flopped. Therefore it’s unlikely that there would be any hard push for 360 anytime soon.

So yeah, there are some CGI movie projects (shorts) made for VR but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

if you actually watch one it will probably be disappointing. Sure you can look around but the action and the story essentially takes place in a specific area. So if you’re pixel peeping or admiring the scenery you may well miss the actual story being acted out behind you (or off to the side).

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
Benchmark Scores Yes
CGI would be medium to work in with respect to VR movies. 360 degree movies, for example, are very difficult to do with live actors. The reason for this is that a typical set / scene focuses narrowly on a specific area. Behind the scenes is a hot mess of crew members, cranes, tracks, cabling, lighting and so on. The post production to erase all of that would be cost prohibitive especially for what would be a niche market.

3D would be a lot easier then 360 degree but there already was a quasi recent attempt at that with early 4K TV and it flopped. Therefore it’s unlikely that there would be any hard push for 360 anytime soon.

So yeah, there are some CGI movie projects (shorts) made for VR but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

if you actually watch one it will probably be disappointing. Sure you can look around but the action and the story essentially takes place in a specific area. So if you’re pixel peeping or admiring the scenery you may well miss the actual story being acted out behind you (or off to the side).
Yeah, there's a few really good made for VR movies like Henry on Oculus. I really enjoy those types of experiences. I also like some of the stuff built for movies like the Coco VR, and Lost. Some of the best 360 movies have been by Google called "Google Spotlight Stories". Now video wise there are some 360 VR stuff that's done really well like Jurassic World Blue. Canon just released a new 180 Dual Fisheye Lens that is the best 180 VR videos that I have ever seen on a consumer level hardware. The best 360 VR videos I've seen has been "Welcome to Light Fields". Unlike most 360 videos light does not change if you move your head, but in Light Fields it does change and is really amazing. You can only move your head in a small sphere but it's pretty amazing and makes you really feel like you are there.

Here is a video explaining light field.

I don't know who told you that the Quest 2 was not sharp enough, but I believe you would be very surprised at how good it really is visually. It's right at 4k which makes viewing Movies in VR really nice. I can say Vive and below was bad for watching videos due to being very pixelated. Since, the Rift S videos have been great in VR and Quest 2 is even better. I don't see a VR HMD beating the Quest 2 at it's quality and price point. I'd say the tech is there if you want to jump in on a budget, but still have a high-end experience. If you don't mind paying a premium then I'd wait for Cambria, Index 2 or PSVR 2.

I told myself it was not sharp enough, because I have tried it. I only played a few games on it though. I didn't try and watch a movie. Maybe it was the way they had it set up, but I felt like there edges in the image were slightly blurry. I used it in its wireless state. I know you can push the graphics when it's wired.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
I told myself it was not sharp enough, because I have tried it. I only played a few games on it though. I didn't try and watch a movie. Maybe it was the way they had it set up, but I felt like there edges in the image were slightly blurry. I used it in its wireless state. I know you can push the graphics when it's wired.
Yeah if you were using it wireless then you were seeing some compression or maybe even a lot of compression depending on the setup. Both wireless options to play have come a long ways since it's release. Now some of the work load from the pc is done on the Quest 2 to help with Lag. The creator of Virtual Desktop begin using this because when streaming from the desktop the HMD really isn't doing anything taxing. Wireless is still great but still doesn't take full advantage of the screens being used. Actual native stuff will be sharper. I mean it's still really good but for example my Rift S looks sharper but has lower resolution screens. It's not by a lot but it's noticeable. I think being wireless is a good trade off. I think right now if you have the extra money and know you don't mind paying a premium then I would wait for Cambria, but if you know you'll never spend more than what the quest 2 is going for then I wouldn't wait and grab a Quest 2.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
There is a bit of a gray area here in that the tech is still growing and developing with each new iteration of VR HMD but one also should be aware of the shortcoming in order to work around them if applicable.

So for example, the ”Screen Door Effect“ has been greatly reduced in modern VR HMD’s, however, if you go in looking for it with specificity you can create a situation where you can’t unsee it once you find it.

Another area that needs improvement is FOV. A wider FOV would greatly improve the overall experience because it would better mimic the range of human vision. If one goes into VR looking for the visible edge, one goes into VR looking for the limitations of the given VR HMD in question. IMO it’s better to make smaller eye movements combined with more (marginally) head movements so one doesn’t abut the visible edges of the HMD’s FOV so harshly.

Lastly, blurriness (peripheral or otherwise) can also be introduced if the IPD isn’t adjusted correctly. Putting on an HMD can be somewhat fiddly especially for first time users. The Oculus Quest 2 for example comes with a stock strap that makes it difficult to adjust initially and can require additional adjustments when in use. Poor adjustment in this case can also introduce blurriness.

Dux

I hope PSVR 2 will have IPD adjustment that can be ajusted freely. Not just in steps like AFAIK Quest 2 has. And it is disappointing that it will use fresnel lenses. FOV is not the only factor. On fresnel lenses the more you look to the edge of screen, the blurrier it gets. But hopefully they managed to counter that somehow with foveated rendering and eye tracking.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
There is a bit of a gray area here in that the tech is still growing and developing with each new iteration of VR HMD but one also should be aware of the shortcoming in order to work around them if applicable.

So for example, the ”Screen Door Effect“ has been greatly reduced in modern VR HMD’s, however, if you go in looking for it with specificity you can create a situation where you can’t unsee it once you find it.

Another area that needs improvement is FOV. A wider FOV would greatly improve the overall experience because it would better mimic the range of human vision. If one goes into VR looking for the visible edge, one goes into VR looking for the limitations of the given VR HMD in question. IMO it’s better to make smaller eye movements combined with more (marginally) head movements so one doesn’t abut the visible edges of the HMD’s FOV so harshly.

Lastly, blurriness (peripheral or otherwise) can also be introduced if the IPD isn’t adjusted correctly. Putting on an HMD can be somewhat fiddly especially for first time users. The Oculus Quest 2 for example comes with a stock strap that makes it difficult to adjust initially and can require additional adjustments when in use. Poor adjustment in this case can also introduce blurriness.

This 100% I can't stress that enough to people. I think you hit everything on the head, well said. If you go in looking for issues you will find them. The DK1 had really bad screen door effect, but in the right game I could forget about it. The vive was a great hmd but it had screen door as well, but I could totally tune it out in my head to where I didn't notice it playing games. If I looked for it then It was hard to trick my self into not seeing it. It would just happen over time.

I hope PSVR 2 will have IPD adjustment that can be ajusted freely. Not just in steps like AFAIK Quest 2 has. And it is disappointing that it will use fresnel lenses. FOV is not the only factor. On fresnel lenses the more you look to the edge of screen, the blurrier it gets. But hopefully they managed to counter that somehow with foveated rendering and eye tracking.
The psver 2 will have IPD adjustment and eye tracking. It should be able to tell you your IPD in the HMD and you adjust it.

Dux

Hey, guys. Did anyone watch any of the hands on videos with PSVR2? Some VR covering YT channels got to try it out, IGN, Eurogamer and some website that covers VR. Seems mostly positive feedback. Some problems with ghosting if the game runs at 60fps and is reprojected to 120fps. But hopefully Sony can fix that on software side.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
Hey, guys. Did anyone watch any of the hands on videos with PSVR2? Some VR covering YT channels got to try it out, IGN, Eurogamer and some website that covers VR. Seems mostly positive feedback. Some problems with ghosting if the game runs at 60fps and is reprojected to 120fps. But hopefully Sony can fix that on software side.

Yes! lol I watched them all. I'm excited to buy one. I bought a ps5 for this very reason. Well, my kids wanted one and it didn't hurt that I want a PSVR 2. haha Yeah I hope the ghosting gets figured out. The PSVR 2 uses foveated rendering with it's eye tracking. The next round of hmds will have pancake lenses that will cut the size in half, but the PSVR will not to save on cost. Plus they are using OLED panels with HDR. Everyone that has tried it said the HDR is a game changer. The good news for us is that they all say it's amazing. I think mike said that only 1 or 2 games have the ghosting problem but he also said that the visuals out weight the ghosting. He said that Horizon call of the mountain is fantastic and is not a tech demo. It has 7-8 hours of game play which for me is great. It would be nice to have 12-15 hours like Alyx but I believe we will get add-ons for it.

Don't forget that on the 22nd ByteDance will unveil the Pico 4. It will be going up against the Quest Pro. I wish they would have named it Quest 2 Pro. Quest Pro just feels like the Quest 2 is newer. Either way the VR space is heating up! My body is ready! haha

Reactions: Dux

Dux

I was hoping to get PS5 this year. But here in Croatia for some stupid reason they sell them only in bundles with games. And prices are insane. Around $900-1K depending if digital or disc version. And outside of Croatia they're very rare find. Did sign up for €550 disc version with Horizon Forbidden West bundle on Amazon Germany, but you just enter a waiting list with no indication when you'll be able to buy it. And they might raise the price as well since Sony raised the price. At the same time you can buy XBOX-es everywhere for lower price, heh.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
After playing RE4 on quest 2 and seeing how great it looks in VR I can't only imagine GTA SA will be even better.
My PC is currently well, dead and I’ve not really been using my Quest 2 much at all so now it’s all I got to gaming until all my new parts come.
i am finding RE4 almost impossibe…I’ve pretty much lost my Roomscale space because I bought a full wheel/seat setup(not even attempted any of the many VR supported driving games I own) but back to RE4 I’m basically using couch mode for boundaries (no issues there);got the game well setup for sitting. Access to all my gear is fine BUT… I cannot even get past that first mob in town. No matter what variation or strategy. i like the game, the general feel @nd look but if I can’t get past the beginning it’s just killing my buzz….

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
My PC is currently well, dead and I’ve not really been using my Quest 2 much at all so now it’s all I got to gaming until all my new parts come.
i am finding RE4 almost impossibe…I’ve pretty much lost my Roomscale space because I bought a full wheel/seat setup(not even attempted any of the many VR supported driving games I own) but back to RE4 I’m basically using couch mode for boundaries (no issues there);got the game well setup for sitting. Access to all my gear is fine BUT… I cannot even get past that first mob in town. No matter what variation or strategy. i like the game, the general feel @nd look but if I can’t get past the beginning it’s just killing my buzz….
Yeah the mob was pretty tough, but you can get past them. I had to youtube the best way. The game gets much better. I'm close to the end but I haven't played it in at least a month. I need to jump back on it.

I was hoping to get PS5 this year. But here in Croatia for some stupid reason they sell them only in bundles with games. And prices are insane. Around $900-1K depending if digital or disc version. And outside of Croatia they're very rare find. Did sign up for €550 disc version with Horizon Forbidden West bundle on Amazon Germany, but you just enter a waiting list with no indication when you'll be able to buy it. And they might raise the price as well since Sony raised the price. At the same time you can buy XBOX-es everywhere for lower price, heh.
I watched a few twitter ps restock accounts. They posted Walmart would have them the next day, but you had to have Walmart+. You can pickup walmart+ a month at a time with no commitment for 12.99. You have to buy it you can't use the free month. I bought a month and pick up the PS5 disc version for $499. I ended up using the walmart+ for other stuff and it really paid off.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Yeah the mob was pretty tough, but you can get past them. I had to youtube the best way. The game gets much better. I'm close to the end but I haven't played it in at least a month. I need to jump back on it.
Thanks for the advice and encouragement it’s just so frustrating to get stuck literally at the beginning of a game with such a difficult situation. I Mean of course YouTube didn’t dawn on me as it would i was at my PC rather than continuing to just kee throwing myself at it until I just give up again Hey I can use YouTub VR :roll:
I’ll let the thread get back on topic.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-76
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
I already decided I am getting a PS VR 2, and I am guessing it won't be super expensive, yet I expect it will match Valve Index for half the price in actual experience, but at less than half the cost, the only downside being a much much smaller game selection.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
Thanks for the advice and encouragement it’s just so frustrating to get stuck literally at the beginning of a game with such a difficult situation. I Mean of course YouTube didn’t dawn on me as it would i was at my PC rather than continuing to just kee throwing myself at it until I just give up again Hey I can use YouTub VR :roll:
I’ll let the thread get back on topic.
Np! Yeah, it well worth it. I'm really surprised we do not have an Quest 2 RE4VR thread. If you want to create one I"m down to jump in. Also, it's getting an enhanced version for PSVR2. Once the PSVR2 releases we can change the title and add PSVR2 as well.
I already decided I am getting a PS VR 2, and I am guessing it won't be super expensive, yet I expect it will match Valve Index for half the price in actual experience, but at less than half the cost, the only downside being a much much smaller game selection.
I don't know while the Index has a large library it's mostly trash. The PSVR2 will have more AAA content right out of the gate. The PSVR had great games. I see a lot of people complaining about the PSVR's library not being compatible with PSVR2, but honestly I would rather the better PSVR games get a remastered release and that sounds like what they are doing.

The reason they are making this a big deal is because VR news is slow right now. They will make just as much noise about how great it is when the developer's for the bigger games start releasing remastered for PSVR 2 games. Sorry, I'm going off the rails here.. lol But don't worry we are at least 3-4 if not longer way from PSVR 2. I'd say longer probably around March to get all of the game announcements. I'm still betting Alyx will come to PSVR2.

I plan to get the PSVR2 as well. I think it will be 299-350 just based on the cost savings that I see from the headset. Let's go over the savings. They are using black and white pass-through cameras. They are using regular Fresnel lenses and not the more expensive pancake lenses. It doesn't have built-in audio. I'm guessing the few cut corners they are trying to keep the up front entry cost low. Let's hope! lol

Left is Pancake lenses and the right is Fresnel lenses.

View attachment lens comparison.webp

PSVR vs PSVR 2
PSVR 2PSVR
Resolution2,000 x 2,040 per-eye960 x 1080 per eye
DisplayOLED HDROLED
Refresh rate90Hz, 120Hz90Hz, 120Hz
Field of view110°100°
TrackingSix-axis motion sensor, 4 cameras for headset and controllers, IR camera for eye-trackingSix-axis motion sensor, LED tracking via PlayStation Move
HapticsHeadset and controllerController only
Audio3.5mm3.5mm
ConnectionUSB-CUSB and HDMI

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-76
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
well idk. PSVR launch price was $399. Now they increased the price of console in most of the world under excuse of inflation. And PSVR 2 is a more advanced piece of tech.
I believe they will sell this at a loss or break even to put it in more peoples hands and sell software. I think 399 will be on the high side, but I think you might be right. I feel like if they try to sell it any higher then it will not sell well. Now of course they still can't make enough PS5's so this might have the same issue.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I believe they will sell this at a loss or break even to put it in more peoples hands and sell software. I think 399 will be on the high side, but I think you might be right. I feel like if they try to sell it any higher then it will not sell well. Now of course they still can't make enough PS5's so this might have the same issue.
Yeah it has max top notch specs I can see them taking a loss and pushing more and better VR games to make up for it

Dux

I'm already thinking what will PSVR 3 be like. I presume PS 6 will use ZEN 6 CPU and RDNA 5 GPU. 2nm nanosheet manufacturing process. Probably 32GB of memory and 2TB PCI 5 M.2 SSD. Gives me goosebumps what kind of insane console VR that can run. :twitch:

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
I'm already thinking what will PSVR 3 be like. I presume PS 6 will use ZEN 6 CPU and RDNA 5 GPU. 2nm nanosheet manufacturing process. Probably 32GB of memory and 2TB PCI 5 M.2 SSD. Gives me goosebumps what kind of insane console VR that can run. :twitch:
With those specs I'd like to see Sony make the PS6 able to play every Sony game ever released. If I want to play a PS1 or PS2 game, I shouldn't have to rebuy the game for a new platform. but I digress.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
The CES PSVR2 reviews / previews unfortunately come off like canned / managed paid advertisement IMO. The highly restrictive usage afforded the reviews just isn't much to go on. Also, ~$550 USD is arguably not a great price.