• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Possible GART Problems?

S

s1ck0

Hi I've got a Hercules 9800se but its not even softmodded at the moment...
When I load games i can play them from anything to 2mins - 30mins
but then the pc will just shutdown and its a few mins before it boots backup.

Now my motherboard is a

Jetway KT400Series
VIA chipset
Model Name: V400ADBL
VIA KT400a/8235

but i dont remember drivers coming with my motherboard and i've downloaded numerous VIA drivers including the 4 in 1 and it still happens.

I'm thinking its the gart driver but i could be wrong.. Can anyone help?

Desperately Needing You
S1ck0

sersalpha

Does it shut down only during games? This sounds like overheating. What is your CPU core temperature? I recommend downloading Prime95 and running a torture test (Options->Torture Test...->Blend->OK). If the computer shuts down during this, it's likely that and overheating CPU is the culprit. In that event, check your CPU heatsink installation, and make sure that there is 100% contact between the CPU and the heatsink. Sometimes the unrecessed part of the heatsink base rests on the raised part of the CPU socket, giving only partial contact. It could also be something like bad RAM or an overheating northbridge, but it's unlikely. This is assuming that your CPU/FSB aren't overclocked ;) .

If it happens only during 3D applications, like games, check the installation of the heatsink on the GPU. Also make sure that your AGP bus is set to 66MHz, your dividers are at default, and that AGP voltage is set to Auto in your BIOS.