• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Power Limit Throttling on Intel 9750H

Hoffmeme

I have been having issues on my Dell XPS 15 recently where my cpu is power limit throttled down to 0.8 GHz randomly during gameplay for about 30 seconds until going back to normal for a minute or two. I have tried undervolting, disabling limits, changing BIOS settings, just about everything and I just cant seem to get any improvements. I don't ever get thermal throttling since I've undervolted and turned off turbo-boost so my cpu stays at 2.6 GHz which is supposed to be the stock. My ThrottleStop also says my max power is less than 45 W, so I dont know what is causing the random throttles. The worst part is I used to have this problem fixed, but I think it came back after some windows update but not sure when exactly. Any help would be great.

Attachments

• image_2024-04-01_235252103.png
    image_2024-04-01_235252103.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 34

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Many Dell XPS laptops with 8th and 9th Gen Intel CPUs have severe power limit throttling problems that cannot be solved by using ThrottleStop. They send low turbo power limits to the CPU using an embedded controller. These EC power limits are separate from the MSR and MMIO power limits that ThrottleStop gives you access to.

ThrottleStop also says my max power is less than 45 W
The power limit is being set way lower than 45W. This is what causes the extreme power limit throttling down to 798 MHz that you are experiencing. At this point of the game I stopped buying Dell laptops. I thought it would be pointless to buy a laptop that I knew had a severe power limit throttling issue. I never came up with a fix for this problem and I do not know of anyone else that found a fix. Most sell these laptops on eBay, take the loss and move on.

Some users with similar problems may have had some limited success by deleting and blocking the Intel Dynamic Tuning driver from being installed. Do some Google searching about this issue.

If you point a big fan at your laptop, perhaps that will help cool some unknown and likely defective sensor that is responsible for triggering the EC from going into low power mode. Throttling a CPU with a 45W TDP rating down to only 5W screams terrible design, worthy of a class action lawsuit.

Hoffmeme

Many Dell XPS laptops with 8th and 9th Gen Intel CPUs have severe power limit throttling problems that cannot be solved by using ThrottleStop. They send low turbo power limits to the CPU using an embedded controller. These EC power limits are separate from the MSR and MMIO power limits that ThrottleStop gives you access to.

The power limit is being set way lower than 45W. This is what causes the extreme power limit throttling down to 798 MHz that you are experiencing. At this point of the game I stopped buying Dell laptops. I thought it would be pointless to buy a laptop that I knew had a severe power limit throttling issue. I never came up with a fix for this problem and I do not know of anyone else that found a fix. Most sell these laptops on eBay, take the loss and move on.

Some users with similar problems may have had some limited success by deleting and blocking the Intel Dynamic Tuning driver from being installed. Do some Google searching about this issue.

If you point a big fan at your laptop, perhaps that will help cool some unknown and likely defective sensor that is responsible for triggering the EC from going into low power mode. Throttling a CPU with a 45W TDP rating down to only 5W screams terrible design, worthy of a class action lawsuit.
Unfortunately I have already uninstalled and blocked the Intel drivers. I'm pretty sure that's what fixed it last time I had the issue, except it's somehow back even with the drivers still gone. I also have a cooling pad for my laptop so not sure how much more cooling I could do lol.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Sadly I do not know what the exact trigger is that causes the severe power limit throttling that your XPS has. Seems like some sort of defective sensor on the motherboard that feeds misinformation to the EC. If you ever find a solution, post it here so I can learn something new about this long time Dell issue. Other manufacturers never dreamed up 5W throttling schemes. Not even as an April 1st joke.

Hoffmeme

Sadly I do not know what the exact trigger is that causes the severe power limit throttling that your XPS has. Seems like some sort of defective sensor on the motherboard that feeds misinformation to the EC. If you ever find a solution, post it here so I can learn something new about this long time Dell issue. Other manufacturers never dreamed up 5W throttling schemes. Not even as an April 1st joke.
If I somehow find a solution I'll definitely post it lol. Thanks for the help