• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Recommend My Next Phone

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor, 3401 Mhz, 8 Core(s)
Motherboard ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING
Cooling iCUE H100i RGB ELITE (240mm); Uni Fan P28 (3 x 120 mm)
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 2x16 GB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB GDDR6
Storage 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD
Display(s) ASUS VG27WQ1B 27" 2K WQHD (2560 x 1440) 165Hz Curved Screen Gaming Monitor
Case Y60
Power Supply RM850x
Mouse PeohZarr Gaming Mouse, Blue Purple Gradient Computer Gaming Mice with Electroplating Aurora Cover
Software Windows 10 Pro
The last phone I bought was OnePlus 7 Pro and it was after doing about 2 or 3 weeks of research to try and find the perfect phone for me. And I could not have been happier with the phone, which I bought shortly after it came out (~mid 2019). Now I'm about do some research on my next phone. I'm hoping to get some suggestions before I watch a bunch of YT videos and read a bunch of reviews.

Here's what's important to me.

• I'm looking to get a phone for the long-term. So I'm looking to get a phone that came out recently or is about to come out pretty soon.
  • Battery life is very important to me. I hate having to recharge my phone but I use my phone all the time.
  • I'm looking for a high performance phone.
  • I generally prefer phones that are bigger because I sometimes tend to use the phone more like a laptop than a phone and, also, I do a little bit of gaming. And I do have a bias in favor of gaming phones just because they tend to be performance oriented and tend to look pretty cool, but I'm not limiting myself to having to have a gaming phone. My initial thinking is that I'm probably not looking to get one of those phones that folds into 2 screens.
  • I don't like phones that can break easily, e.g., phone that you can break in half with your hands and a little bit of strength (as sometimes shown on YT).
  • I hate the front camera notch that comes with most phones (not OnePlus 7 Pro), but it's not a deal breaker. But I still can't believe it's 2023 and phone companies are still creating phones with that camera notch.
  • Customization is important to me. For example, I feel the OnePlus 7 Pro font is absolutely perfect. On the other hand, I feel that default Samsung phone font is horrendous, but it doesn't matter too much because I can customize it.
  • Camera quality is somewhat important to me. But I don't think I would compromise too much for a quality camera though.
  • I don't need the headphone jack and, it's not a strong preference, but I'd prefer not to have it.
  • iPhone is not an option for me.
  • I generally would prefer to spend under ~$1,500.

System Name DaBeast! DaBeast2!
Processor AMD AM4 Ryzen 9 5900X 12C24T/AMD AM4 RYZEN 9 3900X 12C/24T
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme/Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 360/Thermalright PA 120 SE
Memory 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 3600C16/2x 16GB Patriot Elite II DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX 24GB/Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT 16GB
Storage 500GB Crucial P3 Plus NVMe PCIe 4x4 + 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe PCIe 4x4 + TG Cardea Zero Z NVMe PCIe 4x4
Display(s) Samsung LC49HG90DMEX 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2/Acer XR341CK 75Hz 21:9 Freesync
Case CoolerMaster H500M/SOLDAM XR-1
Audio Device(s) iFi Micro iDSD BL + Philips Fidelio B97/FostexHP-A4 + LG SP8YA
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Platinum/Enermax MAXREVO 1500
Mouse Logitech G703/Logitech G603 WL
Keyboard Logitech G613/Keychron K2
Software Win11 Pro/Win11 Pro
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra....'nuff said!

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
My current and previous phones were Samsung Galaxy S series and I recommend you AVOID it all costs.

I have some screen burns on my phone, and it happened to the previous phone too.

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
avoid samsung z flip series... wifey has one and its been in the after service twice
a student has the new z flip 5 first day after two weeks the middle of the screen fold is so noticeable....
iphone is okay but the pro is very pricey...

im not sure about the latest google pixel but ive heard good things...

Processor Intel i7 77OOK
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus something
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S dual fan
Memory Ballistix 32 Go
Video Card(s) MSI 3060 Gaming X
Storage Mixed bag of M2 SSD and SATA SSD
Display(s) MSI 34" 3440x1440 Artimys 343CQR
Case Old Corsair Obsidian something
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Old Antec HCG 620 still running good
Mouse Steelseries something
Keyboard Steelseries someting too
Benchmark Scores bench ? no time to lose with bench ! :)
Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
avoid samsung z flip series... wifey has one and its been in the after service twice
a student has the new z flip 5 first day after two weeks the middle of the screen fold is so noticeable....
iphone is okay but the pro is very pricey...

im not sure about the latest google pixel but ive heard good things...
That's ironic cuz we have two flip 5's and we've had zero issues so far. I was agnostic to the flip at first, I barely pay attention to phone specs as it is these days. I've been kind of over the phone rat race since the S10. However this flip is awesome, folding the flip its damn easy to stick in yo pocket and I keep finding new ways to use the fold, like it makes a great flashlight holder when you can't spare a hand. In a pinch you can watch videos with it folded at a 45. I love texting and watching youtube with it folded, cuz you know it's real hard to break the screen when you drop it. You can see the fold on the screen when opened up but its imo a non-issue especially when watching videos.

Otherwise the S series is just another Sammie phone, good but boring. The Flip is not as powerful but its so darn flexible and all said its good enough at everything else. I like that it can wireless charge folded too.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
As much as I hate Samsung, their S flagships are still the best bang for the buck. Hardware-wise it ticks all of your boxes, software-wise you still have all of the customizations you want plus long-term update policy(so far Samsung are the only ones actually doing it across all of their lineups, not just talking about it).
I'm on board with S23+
My current and previous phones were Samsung Galaxy S series and I recommend you AVOID it all costs.

I have some screen burns on my phone, and it happened to the previous phone too.
Maybe the old ones. But anything newer than S9 - not much burn-in problems with those.
We have a bunch of older Galaxy S phones and various Xperias at my part-time job(company does cell tower drive-tests and various benchmarks). Phones are on with powered-on screen for 8-10 hours straight, and so far we still have perfectly functioning S9s and S10s (all of them) and about half of S7 Edge(other half has burn-in and infamous vertical stripes).

At my workshop I get Galaxy S-series every once in awhile, and as far as I remember - there were broken ones, there were ones with screen dead due to bad ingress protection, there were "stuck" screens that can only show logo on boot(factory defect, that appears late in phone's life, especially on A7x & A5x, but rarely on S), but so far not a single one with burn-in.

Fairphone 5
This one is still a gimmick-phone. As much as I like the idea, you are still paying a near-flagship price for gray mediocrity.
And when it comes to mediocrity - I'd rather be 100% sure that I can get parts for, let's say, Poco X5 Pro or Galaxy A54 locally at reasonable prices as quick as possible, rather than jump through the hoops to get my overpriced parts shipped from overseas. Heck, Fairphone don't even ship in half the countries anyways.
They are also trying to save many non-issues. As much as it tingles my nostalgia - there's no need for user-detachable battery in a modern smartphone with 2-day battery life. You use the one you have for couple of years, and once it degrades to the point of being noticeable - you go to a workshop and you pay $15-20 to get it done for you(or replace it yourself), and you forget about it for another couple of years. As far as I remember, many-many moons ago LG did a modular hotswappable battery thing and a screen module that can be replaced with 2 screws, all in a pretty decent LG G5 package, and guess what... NO ONE CARED.
Even user-replaceable is still possible on lots of phones (except Samsung).
Huawei, Oppo, Xiaomi and many more have pretty cool plastic "pull-wrap" which allows you to detach a battery without bending or damaging it, and unlike pull-tabs - it's reusable.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MT/s CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
The latest Samsung s series should cover all your needs, for a long time galaxy s series is considered the iPhone of androids

Google pixel 8 pro is also a great option but i heard mixed feelings about battery life

Just out of curiosity why IPhone is not an option?

Processor Intel i7 4770k
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth Z87
Cooling BeQuiet! Shadow Rock 3
Memory Patriot Viper 3 RedD 16 GB @ 1866 MHz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 480 GTR 8GB
Storage 1x SSD Samsung EVO 250 GB 1x HDD Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 1x HDD Seagate Barracuda 4 TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G2U QHD, Dell S2415H FHD
Case Cooler Master HAF XM
Audio Device(s) Magnat LZR 980, Razer BlackShark V2, Altec Lansing 251
Power Supply Corsair AX860
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Vote goes to Samsung S23+. Battery lasts for over 4 days with work usage such as emails, calls and such. I was only worried about the size of the phone, because I mostly used compact phones until now (last was S20 for 3 over years), but I got used to it after a few days. It's not a huge difference. I'd recommend S23 as well due to its compact size, but since you prefer bigger phones, S23+ is the way to go, it has better SOT because of the battery size when compared to S23. 256GB+ variant should be prefered as it features UFS 4.0, 128GB model of S23 uses older UFS 3.1, S23+ also has UWB support while S23 does not.

Last edited:
System Name Desktop/HTPC
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi ITX
Cooling ID Cooling DashFlow 240mm AIO
Memory 64GB (2x32) G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3600 CL18
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB
Storage 4TB WD SN850X NVMe, 2TB WD SN850X NVMe
Display(s) LG OLED65B9PUA 65" 4K OLED TV
Case Lian Li x Dan A4-H20
Audio Device(s) USB to MiniDSP DDRC24 DAC, RCA to SUMO Andromeda amp, wired to Wharfedale SP88 speakers
Power Supply Silverstone SX1000R SFX-L Platinum ATX 3.0
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini
VR HMD Oculus Rift / PSVR / PSVR2 / Lenovo Explorer
Software Windows 11 Pro
Very surprised no one is recommending a Pixel. 7 Pro/8 Pro should do everything you want for much less than max budget. Yes, occasionally they let a bad update out that has killed battery life, but it always gets fixed, and you have the option of unlocking the bootloader and running whatever you want now or in the future. Given you're planning to keep the phone long term the benefit there can't be overstated. Stock Android is also much quicker and more responsive than with Samsung's still bloated skin.

Very surprised no one is recommending a Pixel. 7 Pro/8 Pro should do everything you want for much less than max budget. Yes, occasionally they let a bad update out that has killed battery life, but it always gets fixed, and you have the option of unlocking the bootloader and running whatever you want now or in the future. Given you're planning to keep the phone long term the benefit there can't be overstated. Stock Android is also much quicker and more responsive than with Samsung's still bloated skin.
All they have to do is improve the battery life and its a solid recommendation, pixel phone have always had dub par battery

System Name Desktop/HTPC
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi ITX
Cooling ID Cooling DashFlow 240mm AIO
Memory 64GB (2x32) G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3600 CL18
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB
Storage 4TB WD SN850X NVMe, 2TB WD SN850X NVMe
Display(s) LG OLED65B9PUA 65" 4K OLED TV
Case Lian Li x Dan A4-H20
Audio Device(s) USB to MiniDSP DDRC24 DAC, RCA to SUMO Andromeda amp, wired to Wharfedale SP88 speakers
Power Supply Silverstone SX1000R SFX-L Platinum ATX 3.0
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini
VR HMD Oculus Rift / PSVR / PSVR2 / Lenovo Explorer
Software Windows 11 Pro
All they have to do is improve the battery life and its a solid recommendation, pixel phone have always had dub par battery
It's honestly not near as bad as people make it out to be. I'm a heavy phone user (practically all my posts here and elsewhere are from my phone) and I rarely if ever have to charge my 7 Pro during the day. Put it on the charger at night, keep the screen brightness reasonable, and you should be fine.

Plus, if you have a day where you're on it even more then usual and do need to charge to get through it rarely takes more than 15, 20 minutes to top off to the point you won't need to worry, so what's the big deal?

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Sony Xperia 5 V

Is the camera software improved? I have the 5iii and the camera is really frustrating. You can take great shots, but it's fiddly. The autofocus is just off enough to not be reliable. JPEG compression is not great (more or less severe banding whemtaking shots of a clear evening sky for instance).

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Watercooling
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Royal 2x16GB
Video Card(s) MSi RTX 3080ti Suprim X
Storage 2TB Corsair MP600 PRO Hydro X
Display(s) Samsung G7 27" x2
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500W
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Steelseries Apex Pro
How about the latest OnePlus? Personally I would never touch a bloatware heaven Samsung phone. But I have a very low tolerance for their bs. Even the Sony phone I have is miles better in that regard.
(I will 100% crawl back into the walled garden of iphones next time I get a new phone. But that is a whole 'nother discussion, I don't mean to start anything. I am mostly happy with the Sony.)

Is the camera software improved? I have the 5iii and the camera is really frustrating. You can take great shots, but it's fiddly. The autofocus is just off enough to not be reliable. JPEG compression is not great (more or less severe banding whemtaking shots of a clear evening sky for instance).
Can't really comment on the 5 V, but I have the 1 IV and the camera app on that is great. Quick to start, responsive, and no issues with auto-focus or anything else.

System Name Never trust a socket with less than 2000 pins
I don't have battery life problems with my Pixel 8 Pro, nor did I have with the Pixel 6.

I had an iPhone for a month last year and I didn't feel it lasted any longer.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
My 14 Pro takes nicer pics and has a nicer display than my co-workers S22 something.

My co-workers seem to be afraid to take their phone into the shower to watch shows after work while they get clean lol.

You said no iPhone, its all I know.. sorry :oops:

The areas where the Sony Xperia 5 V is stronger than the Samsung Galaxy S23+
- camera
- microSD support
- audio jack

The areas where the Samsung Galaxy S23+ is stronger than the Sony Xperia 5 V
- charge faster (makes little difference if you charge at night)
- 5 years of updates for Android

A Day with the Sony Xperia 5 V

Sony Xperia 5 V VS Samsung Galaxy S23 | Night Mode Camera Test
Most people believe that the Sony camera is better for night shots than Samsung.

Sony Xperia 5 V's main camera saves 12MP binned photos, and they have Sony written all over them, so to speak.
The photos are excellent across the board, and among the best you can get on a smartphone in 2023.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MT/s CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
If you don't want Apple, Pixel is the best Android experience, period.

Samsung S23 is a decent alternative but some of Samsung's choices still drive me nuts and it does feel like the phone is running additional bloat.

I don't have battery life problems with my Pixel 8 Pro, nor did I have with the Pixel 6.

I had an iPhone for a month last year and I didn't feel it lasted any longer.
Pixel A-series phones have always had phenomenal battery life. The 7a is really a lot of phone for the money, too.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
The areas where the Sony Xperia 5 V is stronger than the Samsung Galaxy S23+
- camera
- microSD support
- audio jack

The areas where the Samsung Galaxy S23+ is stronger than the Sony Xperia 5 V
- charge faster (makes little difference if you charge at night)
- 5 years of updates for Android

A Day with the Sony Xperia 5 V

Sony Xperia 5 V VS Samsung Galaxy S23 | Night Mode Camera Test
Most people believe that the Sony camera is better for night shots than Samsung.

Sony Xperia 5 V's main camera saves 12MP binned photos, and they have Sony written all over them, so to speak.
The photos are excellent across the board, and among the best you can get on a smartphone in 2023.

I'm just gonna assume there are a whole bunch of asterisks there. The hardware in my phone is good, but it requires knowledge of photography to take good shots. A Samsung phone is literally just point and shoot, and that is a huge advantage. Consider winter. If I am to take a good shot with my Sony I have to remove my gloves and fiddle with a touch screen (not great in -20C weather). With a Samsung I might have to remove the gloves but I just have to point the lens at whatever and the photo will probably look quite good. I mostly take shots of clouds, skies and landscapes, and I can get some nice ones, but with a different phone I could just point the phone and touch the screen and it would look good. With a Sony there is actually photography involved. Which is fine, it's one of the reasons I got the phone I did, but the downsides outweigh the upsides. And no offence, but I do not take your or any (almost) reviewers word on autofocus and compression. That is something you only discover when you live the thing. Generally my 5iii is good, but at times it's much worse than say a Samsung Galaxy S9. Banding issues is also not something that is immedietly apparent. I might do a Reddit dive or something to find out if they actually have improved the software (I don't think they have, because surely the camera app in my phone would have gotten some updates if that were the case), because a Sony phone with slightly better camera software (better automatic/basic modes, better JPEG compression) would be a dream phone. Get good shots with basic/auto, get GREAT shots with manual. Now I get anywhere between ok and good shots with basic/auto. I even did a test, and for some scenarios my old Galaxy S9 was better than the Sony Xperia 5iii, and that should not happen.

I'm just gonna assume there are a whole bunch of asterisks there. The hardware in my phone is good, but it requires knowledge of photography to take good shots. A Samsung phone is literally just point and shoot, and that is a huge advantage. Consider winter. If I am to take a good shot with my Sony I have to remove my gloves and fiddle with a touch screen (not great in -20C weather). With a Samsung I might have to remove the gloves but I just have to point the lens at whatever and the photo will probably look quite good. I mostly take shots of clouds, skies and landscapes, and I can get some nice ones, but with a different phone I could just point the phone and touch the screen and it would look good. With a Sony there is actually photography involved. Which is fine, it's one of the reasons I got the phone I did, but the downsides outweigh the upsides. And no offence, but I do not take your or any (almost) reviewers word on autofocus and compression. That is something you only discover when you live the thing. Generally my 5iii is good, but at times it's much worse than say a Samsung Galaxy S9. Banding issues is also not something that is immedietly apparent. I might do a Reddit dive or something to find out if they actually have improved the software (I don't think they have, because surely the camera app in my phone would have gotten some updates if that were the case), because a Sony phone with slightly better camera software (better automatic/basic modes, better JPEG compression) would be a dream phone. Get good shots with basic/auto, get GREAT shots with manual. Now I get anywhere between ok and good shots with basic/auto. I even did a test, and for some scenarios my old Galaxy S9 was better than the Sony Xperia 5iii, and that should not happen.
I have no experience with the Sony Xperia 5iii. Several persons I know have an old flagship Sony smartphone and they always manages to take natural photos with great sharpness and detail when they go on vacation. They are anything but professionals.

Of course, how photos look also has to do with the panel you view the images on and how good your eyes are. I have exceptionally good vision in general and I use a monitor that covers 100% of the sRGB color space.

What I can see on that monitor in e.g. shooting cameras is that Canon has the best color science and frequently beats Hasselblad models. Nikon often has significantly inferior color science, even when I compare a $1,300 Nikon to a $750 Canon. Sony is in between Canon and Nikon in this area, and they generally beat Samsung easily.

Samsung's colors tend to be less realistic, but you can take sharp photos with it. In terms of sharpness, I would also say the following. Samsung has sold a lot of marketing around their smartphones with over 100 MP camera. But expert photographers have compared images from these > 100 MP camera Samsung smartphones with images from Sony cameras advertised as 24 MP, and it turned out that these 24 MP smartphones from Sony have more sharpness than the >100 MP smartphones from Samsung.

The boss of Samsung has also been jailed, and if the boss of your company is corrupt then most likely many persons in your company are untrustworthy.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
The boss of Samsung has also been jailed, and if the boss of your company is corrupt then most likely many persons in your company are untrustworthy.
No surprises there...
Samsung have been exposed for cutting corners with warranties, data safety, and even actual human safety many times - and failing to address issues they're legally accountable for.

I won't boycott Samsung if/when they offer the best option on the market but at the same time I will actively look for comparable products from other companies if that's an option because I have multiple different large-scale experiences with Samsung stuff going bad and Samsung not doing what you'd expect to fix things (recall, firmware update, honoring warranties etc) and these aren't incidents related solely to the stuff I've purchased through work, they're widely-reported across tens of thousands of users, in national press, and occasionally crop up in interviews/discussions with reps from tier-one OEMs like Asus, HP, Apple.

TL;DR I think Samsung make mostly top-tier products but as a company they will treat you, the little guy, like absolute shit if anything goes wrong.