• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Reusing Hard Drive in new build

Splittyjon

Right now i am currently running a system with a 80 gig IDE hard drive that came with the system that we bought. (Compaq Celeron D)

Later we added a 400 gig Sata Drive that is used for media storage. When we installed it, we partitioned the drive in to 4 approx 100 gigs sections. Two of the partitions have data on them and two are empty. I was thinking for our upcoming build we would use the exsisting 400 gig. What would be the best way to transfer the data to the new computer. I was thinking of installing XP onto one of the non used partitions and then arranging the data around it. Is there any way to reformat the unused partitions without corrupting the existing data on the used partitions. What would the easiest way to do this? Thanks for the help.

philbrown23

System Name Dominator
Processor INTEL C2Q Q6600 FTW!!
Motherboard ASUS P5Q-E!!!
Cooling TEC cooled cpu, everything else is under water :D
Memory 4GB CELL SHOCK D9GMH 1066MHZ/4GB CRUCIAL REDS
Video Card(s) 4850 (VT)/ 4850 IN CROSSFIRE!
Storage western digital= 1X 250GB, 1X 500GB, IDE 160GB (BOOT DRIVE ONLY). SEAGATE FREE AGENT 500GB EHDD
Display(s) viewsonic 19" hd widescreen
Case ROCKETFISH FOR NOW :(
Audio Device(s) ONBOARD WORKS JUST FINE FOR ME :p
Power Supply ULTRA X3 1KW MODULAR
Software win vista ultimate 64 TWEAKED!!!
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=434759 3dm06: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm0
I don't know much about reformatting but I do know that if you instal xp onto one of the existing used partitions you can then in windows reformat the other partitions.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
I ALWAYS recommend installing an OS on a clean drive. It avoids HORRIBLE REGRETS if something goes wrong. And in your setup, the partitions may not be as you want them. Is there already a "first boot partition" that is free. Or is the "free" partition an EXTENDED and not a PRIMARY partition on the drive? Can't put an OS on an extended partition. It can get pretty complicated. Avoid problems, play safe, get a new drive for the install.

The new Samsung F1 750GB is cheap and lightening fast. I would recommend using that for your *new* system, and keep the 400 in the same machine for backups. Use power manager to take the drive down to idle when not used to save power, heat, wear and tear etc.

Splittyjon

thanks for the reply. I think i will end up buying a new hard drive to make things easier.