• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Software for capture card and backups

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Good day,

I plan to start archiving things since basically I have no back-ups, well except photos on the NAS.

1st question
I got a capture card, and it did not come with any software, but the instructions mentioned Fraps and Xsplit. I don't need anything fancy, just wondering if that's good enough or if there are better options - preferably free/cheap - willing to spend up to $40 if it's worth it.

2nd question
Quite a few dvds (family events, etc.) getting scratched and broken with kids, I think I recall ripping these with handbrake, but I can't remember, it's been about 20 years. I guess for this I am looking for something that will make about a 1GB file out of a 4.7BG dvd to a widely compatible format with decent quality. Again - - willing to spend up to $40 if it's worth it.

3rd
For the VHS I bought an elgato contraption, however seen some YouTube videos where the guy converts from interlaced to progressive among other things - just wondering if there is software that can up the quality after it's on the PC? Again - willing to spend up to $40 if it's worth it.

If there is software that can do all that for in the $120 range that's worth it, that's acceptable as well.

Thanks

3. I have a software that i use for download, convert and it added AI stuff in it's latest update. The upsample app is good for images, but on video side it is not worth it, barely any difference.
2. You can still use Handbrake, it's free, the free edition of DaVinci might help you with shrinking stuff. There are paid apps like Wondershare, VideoProc that will do what you want but they are over 40$ when not on sale.

It's not something for the casual user, and that includes myself.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Missed the fraps not free, cost $52CAD oh well, wish it would show if it's recording, no notice or anything for me?!?!

Records, but no sound.................

Last edited:
Both AMD and Nvidia have recording software build in, called Shadowplay and RePlay, that work really well, why would you use FRAPS ?

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock through Kryosheet
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 40
Last time I simply used VLC...

System Name Never trust a socket with less than 2000 pins
It's not something for the casual user, and that includes myself.

Well, the thing about ffmpeg is that it might be hard to learn, but once you learn it you have a truly universal media conversion tool, and by definition you can always batch/script everything you do in there. And no more relearning new UIs when a vendor gets a new product manager.

True, but not something i bother with. UI with this kind of programs is all drag and drop, so it is really simple. But they cost about 50$ (when not on sale), and ffmpeg is free. Also AVidemux is good for quickly cutting videos and repacking them.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Basically anything that can record camera can be used with most capture cards(at least with most USB UVC dongles). I personally lean towards ShadowPlay, since it's already installed with GFE and works fine in both desktop and games. Haven't tried RePlay on AMD cards, but I assume it's at least as functional as shadowplay. OBS is also a good option, though it's on the heavy side. Plus there are so many free and FOSS options, that for regular "household" use you don't need to spend a penny to just record stuff. Heck, in a pinch you could probably get by with a built-in Windows Camera app.
But if you have one of those very cheap analog multi-channel Easycap dongles - you can throw it away. It's total garbage that only (barely) works on 32-bit Windows 7.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Good day,

I plan to start archiving things since basically I have no back-ups, well except photos on the NAS.

1st question
I got a capture card, and it did not come with any software, but the instructions mentioned Fraps and Xsplit. I don't need anything fancy, just wondering if that's good enough or if there are better options - preferably free/cheap - willing to spend up to $40 if it's worth it.

OBS is free and one of the best tools out there for this.

2nd question
Quite a few dvds (family events, etc.) getting scratched and broken with kids, I think I recall ripping these with handbrake, but I can't remember, it's been about 20 years. I guess for this I am looking for something that will make about a 1GB file out of a 4.7BG dvd to a widely compatible format with decent quality. Again - - willing to spend up to $40 if it's worth it.

Handbrake is still one of the best options. For a widely compatible format I'd do H265. AV1 will get you better quality at the same file size but not all devices support it yet. For encoding settings I'd recommend doing H265 10 bit as it reduces banding artifacts that are the result of compression. Constant quality, constant framerate is best. You could enable variable frame-rate to save extra space but that comes at the cost of potential choppiness. Most other settings like audio should be passthrough or same as source. In handbrake deinterlacing should be set to auto by default. Encoder preset should be set to slow or slower. Unless you can tolerate long encode times there is little space / visual benefits to going higher. RF value is going to vary a lot based on the content, resolution, ect. What I usually do is split a video into 5 minute segments and then run it through a video quality anlysis tool as well as do a visual inspection. In your case you could simply use the preview tool built into handbrake and adjust RF value as needed. A good RF value range to start between is 38 - 23. Going lower than 23 yields increasingly dimminishing returns. You could try messing with additional filters if your home videos has other artifacts like blocking for example.

3rd
For the VHS I bought an elgato contraption, however seen some YouTube videos where the guy converts from interlaced to progressive among other things - just wondering if there is software that can up the quality after it's on the PC? Again - willing to spend up to $40 if it's worth it.

If there is software that can do all that for in the $120 range that's worth it, that's acceptable as well.

Thanks

Handbrake will do this automatically if you have the deiterlace filter on. It automatically applies it only when needed so really you can run it through handbrake to remove any interlacing.

If you want to upscale the video there are multiple free options like Video2x or one of the stable diffusion front ends (you can either extract frames or get an addon that simplifies things). Topaz Video AI is generally recognized as the best easy to use solution but it's $300.

There are more options popping up using RealEsrgan (which is pretty good IMO) but I have yet to try any of them out (like this one: https://free.upscaler.video/). The actual Realesrgan model is what stable diffusion uses for upscaling. There's also MPV player, which can straight up upscale content as you watch it. That's how I prefer to watch content, that way the original content isn't permenently altered by AI thus baking in artifacts.

System Name Space Heater MKIV
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASRock B550 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, 3x Noctua NF-A14s
Memory 2x32GB Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4-3600 C18 1.35V
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil (2150MHz, 240W PL)
Storage 2TB WD SN850X, 4x1TB Crucial MX500 (striped array), LG WH16NS40 BD-RE
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG (34" 3440x1440 144Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1700BT, Samson SR850
Power Supply Corsair RM850x, CyberPower CST135XLU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Glorious GMMK 2 96%
Software Windows 10 LTSC 2021, Linux Mint
Good day,

1st question

2nd question

3rd

Thanks

1. Open Broadcaster Software (OBS). For some cards, you may need to use Linux. I have an old AverMedia capture card that didn't work with Windows 10 but did work in Linux.

2. MakeMKV + Handbrake. MakeMKV will give you the raw MPEG2 video from DVDs, and then you can compress it with Handbrake.

MakeMKV is technically $60 (and well worth it IMO), but it has a perpetual free trial that just needs to be renewed every few months.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Thanks for the feedback.

Ya found OBS after wasting $50 on fraps which didn’t do what I wanted. OBS did partly. It got the video but no sound. After watching videos and reading and trying different things for 2 hours I gave up. Maybe pc too old but it does have usb 3 and when changing tv to other input sound is going through capture card to tv so either it’s not getting into the pc cause capture card is a dud or some settings somewhere I’m missing.

As for 2,3 still haven’t made it that far yet as a few things came up in RL as always.
Soon though I hope
Thanks

System Name Space Heater MKIV
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASRock B550 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, 3x Noctua NF-A14s
Memory 2x32GB Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4-3600 C18 1.35V
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil (2150MHz, 240W PL)
Storage 2TB WD SN850X, 4x1TB Crucial MX500 (striped array), LG WH16NS40 BD-RE
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG (34" 3440x1440 144Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1700BT, Samson SR850
Power Supply Corsair RM850x, CyberPower CST135XLU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Glorious GMMK 2 96%
Software Windows 10 LTSC 2021, Linux Mint
Thanks for the feedback.

Ya found OBS after wasting $50 on fraps which didn’t do what I wanted. OBS did partly. It got the video but no sound. After watching videos and reading and trying different things for 2 hours I gave up. Maybe pc too old but it does have usb 3 and when changing tv to other input sound is going through capture card to tv so either it’s not getting into the pc cause capture card is a dud or some settings somewhere I’m missing.

As for 2,3 still haven’t made it that far yet as a few things came up in RL as always.
Soon though I hope
Thanks
I'll note that when I digitized a VHS tape a while ago, I used OBS and that AverMedia card to do the video and (if I remember) recorded the audio simultaneously with Audacity and the PC's line input.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
I'll note that when I digitized a VHS tape a while ago, I used OBS and that AverMedia card to do the video and (if I remember) recorded the audio simultaneously with Audacity and the PC's line input.
thanks

this was through the hdmi, but something to test/try