• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam Deck and Linux officially hit over 12 000 games playable and verified

I'd bet there are thousands of games like that playable but needing a few quirks .
Can't we now say that Linux has become a platform quite suitable for gaming?

To give a comparison with the successful PS4:
There are currently 3480 games on this list.

PS4 has sold more games than any other console in history.

On Linux, you have many more options than these 12 000 verified titles.
For example, you have many game emulators and cloud gaming that make many other titles playable.

Linux gaming has become totally viable.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790I Edge WiFi Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 240mm
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Philips Evnia 49M2C8900
Case LANCOOL 205M MESH Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 1000W
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Can't we now say that Linux has become a platform quite suitable for gaming
As great as an achievement as this is, and as much as I love Linux and steam. No not yet. Proton/wine and there respective configs and tweaking for games not part of the steam ecosystem is too difficult for people not versed in Linux to jump into.

for people that do like Linux, have experience or are otherwise primarily playing out of steam. Absolutely.

Edit:: mmmm I take that back. Gaming is one gateway into Linux but a gateway into Linux isn’t what is being discussed here.

Viable Linux gaming? Yeah for sure and the 6.3+ kernels are doing a lot to help if you have been watching. The Linux gaming experience since valve developers jumped in and the GPU driver changes since 6.0 hit are doing a ton. Linux gaming has tons of momentum right now.

Last edited:
No not yet. Proton/wine and there respective configs and tweaking for games not part of the steam ecosystem is too difficult for people not versed in Linux to jump into.

That is not the full story I believe. There are a large number of games that require fewer tweaks under Linux than under windows.
I'm sure many games are easier to install and open than on windows. Take for example these games:

Or there are games for which it doesn't matter which platform you use:
This link has around 4800 games that can be accessed on Linux for free with one click.
It is a single website that contains more games than the total number of PS4 games.

You have Shadow.tech, Boosteroid.com, Amazon Luna, Nvidia GeForce Now, PlayStation Now, Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, Parsec, Vortex, Liquidsky, ...

In conclusion, there are tens of thousands of games that can simply be played on Linux with the very lowest difficulty.
No configs to adjust or tweak, just push play.

How do I see that list? Does DCS work?

Viable Linux gaming? Yeah for sure and the 6.3+ kernels are doing a lot to help if you have been watching. The Linux gaming experience since valve developers jumped in and the GPU driver changes since 6.0 hit are doing a ton. Linux gaming has tons of momentum right now.
You have at least four performance advantages.

1. An advantage in terms of higher CPU/GPU performance:

Linux vs Windows tested in 10 games - Linux 17% faster on Average
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/17h1i7n
Star Citizen Linux 35% FASTER than windows?

2. The advantage of more efficient RAM usage. This enabled me five years ago, when I still had a weaker system than now, to run many games with 4GB of RAM that would stutter heavily in windows with the same RAM amount:

3. https://www.chillblast.com/blog/does-having-anti-virus-installed-slow-down-games

4. https://blenderartists.org/t/blende...rs-are-better-maintained-than-windows/1158359

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
1. An advantage in terms of higher CPU/GPU performance:

Linux vs Windows tested in 10 games - Linux 17% faster on Average
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/17h1i7n Star Citizen Linux 35% FASTER than windows?
Not really. Few years back I did few benchmarks of games on linux and I quickly learned that if I see Linux being significantly faster than Windows, then something's up under the hood. In some games it's Anti-Aliasing that doesn't work correctly (or at all), in some games you miss some post-processing effects etc. Some things arent that noticeable, but consume a ton of GPU resources. And some things are sacrificed in native ports in order to maintain performance baseline.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Linux gaming has become totally viable.
As a Steam Deck owner I can't disagree... Still need to spend some quality time in that Linux bit of it though.

That's really what Linux needs, devices like these to nudge people into the OS.

Not really. Few years back I did few benchmarks of games on linux and I quickly learned that if I see Linux being significantly faster than Windows, then something's up under the hood. In some games it's Anti-Aliasing that doesn't work correctly (or at all), in some games you miss some post-processing effects etc. Some things arent that noticeable, but consume a ton of GPU resources. And some things are sacrificed in native ports in order to maintain performance baseline.
Was it a game ported by Feral Interactive?
From them I know that they sometimes (sporadically) downgrade certain graphical settings in their ports. This is usually when they feel there is no visible impact in the graphical result, or when they think the performance impact is too great for the effect it has.

A few years ago DXVK was not quite finished, but now in late 2023, the graphics are almost 100% the same in most games.

Most games you run through Proton should look exactly the same visually as when you run it in windows, in some specific cases the result is even better.
By this I mean that Linux's graphics (Mesa) drivers have fewer bugs than the windows Intel/AMD drivers.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Explains a lot of your experience frankly. So much had changed in just a few years.
I know that Proton is miles better than it used to be, and that by now about 99% of my steam library is playable, and that the performance gap is marginal in most cases. And that's awesome, but has nothing to do with the point I'm trying to make. What I mean, is that a huge discrepancy in performance usually means "sumpthin' ain't right". Could be a simple mistake in settings during measurements (like with LTT fiasco), or the dude from the abovementioned video didn't even test it and pulled numbers out of his sphincter(also quite possible). If Star Citizen really was better/faster on Linux, then I'm sure it would've been all over youtube by now, and at least someone would've been able to replicate the result.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
I know that Proton is miles better than it used to be, and that by now about 99% of my steam library is playable, and that the performance gap is marginal in most cases. And that's awesome, but has nothing to do with the point I'm trying to make. What I mean, is that a huge discrepancy in performance usually means "sumpthin' ain't right". Could be a simple mistake in settings during measurements (like with LTT fiasco), or the dude from the abovementioned video didn't even test it and pulled numbers out of his sphincter(also quite possible). If Star Citizen really was better/faster on Linux, then I'm sure it would've been all over youtube by now, and at least someone would've been able to replicate the result.
Ah, I get your point now and agree.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I'm pretty sure I haven't turned my tower on in at least a year. Maybe I should start it up, bring everything up to date, and see how games are running these days. Proton was doing a pretty darn good job the last time I had used it. If the trend has continued, it's got to be more often than not working for games.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
Unfortunately Deck Verified really isn't that useful of a metric. Proton's database is more useful.

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
Is there a particular flavor of Linux that works best with Steam?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
Is there a particular flavor of Linux that works best with Steam?
I can't speak for others, but I've had a pretty decent experience with Ubuntu and its various official derivatives. I'm pretty familiar with the debian-based eco-system and it seems to work more often than not. Just my 2¢ from my own experience, however I haven't daily driven my Ubuntu tower since I swapped to a Mac in mid 2020. My priorities sort of changed in the grand scheme of things.

Edit: I have put Kubuntu on my daughter's laptop for school recently and I've been more than happy with that, however I haven't tried putting Steam on it because Intel graphics on 8th gen chips have a lot to be desired.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
I can't speak for others, but I've had a pretty decent experience with Ubuntu and its various official derivatives. I'm pretty familiar with the debian-based eco-system and it seems to work more often than not. Just my 2¢ from my own experience, however I haven't daily driven my Ubuntu tower since I swapped to a Mac in mid 2020. My priorities sort of changed in the grand scheme of things.

Edit: I have put Kubuntu on my daughter's laptop for school recently and I've been more than happy with that, however I haven't tried putting Steam on it because Intel graphics on 8th gen chips have a lot to be desired.
Ubuntu or any of its derivatives are a good first stepping stone. If you have nvidia, they should play everything. If you have AMD, you will want a rolling release that has updated MESA frameworks installed. And the rolling releases are on the newer kernels with a ton of performance improvements over the 5.x branches. This depends on the distro, of course.

Overall you cant go wrong. Most distros will run steam without issue. The most you will need to do is run one terminal command to install it if their software store doesnt have it already. Debian/SUSE based distros can just download the installer straight from valve.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-76
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
Steam Deck and SteamOS have completely changed gaming for me. 10/10

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Ubuntu or any of its derivatives are a good first stepping stone. If you have nvidia, they should play everything. If you have AMD, you will want a rolling release that has updated MESA frameworks installed. And the rolling releases are on the newer kernels with a ton of performance improvements over the 5.x branches. This depends on the distro, of course.

Overall you cant go wrong. Most distros will run steam without issue. The most you will need to do is run one terminal command to install it if their software store doesnt have it already. Debian/SUSE based distros can just download the installer straight from valve.
I'd go a little further and say that with any open source driver, going with something a little more bleeding edge than what ships with Ubuntu is probably a good idea. I've actually hit some weird stability issues with my Vega 64, so I'm even running a bleeding edge kernel to try and keep things stable along with a handful of kernel opts for enabling gpu reset and disabling some features that were recently switched on by default.

Either way, it's still 10x better than my experience with the 390. My only grip right now is that my GPU's hwmon number keeps changing between restarts. Sometimes it is 4, or 5, or 6. So I'm having to update my undervolt script almost on every reboot which is annoying. Also depending on what output I'm looking at, I'm getting different current clock speeds for the GPU, so I'm not exactly sure how fast my GPU is running. I just know that with the undervolt, it's pretty steadily on the top power state. However, it reports something like 1400-1450Mhz when the PP table calls for 1600Mhz at 1.05v on p7. At least that's what freq0_input is reporting under load.

All in all, I'd say that most of the time, latest mesa probably isn't necessary unless you're running niche hardware. It's been my experience that most of the instability is in the kernel and I think that's because they have a limited set of hardware that they can test with. It's entirely possible that they don't have a reference vega 64 to do regression testing on, nor would they think the investment is worth it given the number of people with this hardware.

All in all, the tl;dr is that the fewer people that have your hardware, the more likely you're going to hit problems. For example, the Intel graphics on my daughters laptop can't play games worth crap, but even when I was using it for dev work, I never had an issue with it driving two thunderbolt displays. So depending on your hardware, it might just work perfectly fine OOTB. There are probably more people with HP Spectres than people with Vega 64s running Linux. :ohwell:

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
Star Citizen Linux 35% FASTER than windows?
I play Star Citizen. I know it plays faster on Linux. I do not think this is a fair comparison for other games. Star Citizen is a poorly optimized alpha game that is severely limited by client side single threaded performance. Most AAA games are more dependent on graphics performance which is measurably worse on Linux. Phoronix has demonstrated that both Nvidia and AMD Graphics perform approximately 10% worse on Linux.

The only games that should perform better on Linux are those that need more cpu performance.

If Star Citizen really was better/faster on Linux, then I'm sure it would've been all over youtube by now, and at least someone would've been able to replicate the result.
Star Citizen is faster on Linux. The Star Citizen LUG community has this well documented. I do not expect very many other games to have as much performance gains as Star Citizen.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Phoronix has demonstrated that both Nvidia and AMD Graphics perform approximately 10% worse on Linux.
I thought the amdgpu OSS stack was considered faster than the closed stack in windows? Nvidia you are right about though.

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
I thought the amdgpu OSS stack was considered faster than the closed stack in windows? Nvidia you are right about though.
I read a phorinix review that showed amd slower than on windows for both amd and Nvidia in their test suite. If other reviews show different I would be happy to see it.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
I read a phorinix review that showed amd slower than on windows for both amd and Nvidia in their test suite. If other reviews show different I would be happy to see it.
I looked over the reviews and unless a game is straight native it seems you are right.

Wine/proton probably still has a fair bit of overhead. Understandable frankly.

Open-Source AMD Radeon Linux Graphics In Great Shape For Workstations, Handily Beating Proprietary Driver
For at least recent GPUs, the RadeonSI OpenGL (and open-source Vulkan drivers) are in great shape compared to the proprietary driver code. The proprietary OpenGL driver code seems to become more and more "legacy" with the continued open-source successes seen by AMD. However, we'll presumably see the proprietary OpenGL driver continue to be offered for those with select workstation/legacy applications where there may be some performance advantages and if still needing to maintain largely the same OpenGL driver code-base for Windows.

Linux vs Windows 11 Comparison: 20 AAA Games Benchmarked [5K]

And Clear Linux continues to have graphics performance advantage over Ubuntu, Arch and Fedora.

If you really do it optimally, in the sense of selecting fastest Linux system out there, and selecting the fastest window manager for gaming (bspwm) then you should easily outperform windows if you use the Mesa driver.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
I mean yeah you can cherry pick and say "if you do this and that" but it's kind of dishonest to the average user. Most users linux experience won't be with a stripped down wm, and phoronix was pretty clear that the average user experience lags in their benchmarks, as stated.

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
I looked over the reviews and unless a game is straight native it seems you are right.

Wine/proton probably still has a fair bit of overhead. Understandable frankly.
Lots of native linux games are so under-developed that the windows version with Proton is more stable.
And Clear Linux continues to have graphics performance advantage over Ubuntu, Arch and Fedora.

If you really do it optimally, in the sense of selecting fastest Linux system out there, and selecting the fastest window manager for gaming (bspwm) then you should easily outperform windows if you use the Mesa driver.
I don't think that has anything to do with Clear Linux beyond it having a more optimal default config. Any linux can be equally as performance if using the latest kernel and mesa driver with minimal bloat installed. Sure, Clear Linux may be more performant than default Ubuntu but that doesn't tell the whole story.

I do agree with the OP that linux gaming has become totally viable. I have been planning to transition to linux for awhile now. I haven't put words into action yet.