• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Suggestions for i7-7700HQ settings?

vertueux

I have a MSI laptop GF72VR 7RF with i7-7700HQ and GTX 1060 6GB. I would like to run my laptop at the highest frequency with the lowest latency and with lowest voltages, here's what I did:
1. In BIOS: disabled C-state, disabled speedstep, enabled speedshift, changed PL1 to 60W, disabled CPU voltage optimization
2. Undervolted my GPU and locked its frequency with MSI afterburner
3. Throttlestop settings as attached
Is there any more settings that I can change to squeeze anymore performance or reduce temperatures?
I also have a question, i used to undervolt CPU in BIOS but TS Bench gave me errors at around -160mV, so reset it and switched to Throttlestop and was able to get -210.9mV with no errors on TS Bench 7680M, is this right? Or do I need to run cinebench to be extra sure that this is stable? Above -210.9mV though running TS Bench caused my laptop to freeze and I had to hard reset it. I also get PL1 yellow ribbon under core and EP other under ring yellow ribbon upon startup, from what I gathered it's safe to ignore them?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• C1.jpg
    C1.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 60
  • FIVR.jpg
    FIVR.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 62
  • GPU undervolt.jpg
    GPU undervolt.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Limits.jpg
    Limits.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 56
  • TPL.jpg
    TPL.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 54
  • TS Bench.jpg
    TS Bench.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 60

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
do I need to run Cinebench to be extra sure that this is stable?
It is always a good idea to run a variety of stress tests when checking stability. On my computer, TS Bench stable needs more voltage compared to Cinebench stable. Some games might need more voltage to be stable compared to the TS Bench test. Disabling the C states and running your CPU at a fixed frequency usually means you will be able to run your CPU reliably while needing less voltage. If you see any blue screens during real world usage, your CPU needs more voltage.

The only negative thing about disabling the core C3 and core C7 C states is that the CPU will not be able to run at maximum speed when lightly loaded. Turbo boost still works but only the maximum multiplier for 4 Active Cores is ever used. Your CPU can use the 34 multiplier but will not be able to use the 35, 36 or 38 multiplier when these C states are disabled. I am sure you are aware of this limitation. Just thought I would mention it for other users that are thinking about disabling the C states. For some users, low latency is more important than maximum speed.

it's safe to ignore them?
PL1 being yellow in Limit Reasons after booting up is not a problem. This can also happen during a sleep resume cycle.

1705322894804.png

vertueux

It is always a good idea to run a variety of stress tests when checking stability. On my computer, TS Bench stable needs more voltage compared to Cinebench stable. Some games might need more voltage to be stable compared to the TS Bench test.
Noted! Just a curious question, why did undervolting via BIOS give me TS bench errors while undervolting via TS too much just freeze my laptop (without errors)?
I am sure you are aware of this limitation.
Yup totally!
PL1 being yellow in Limit Reasons after booting up is not a problem. This can also happen during a sleep resume cycle.
Alright! i guess i can rest easy with these settings until stability issues occur. Thanks again for your response and contributions to this project. Cheers!

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
why did undervolting via BIOS give me TS bench errors while undervolting via TS too much just freeze my laptop (without errors)?
I do not know if the BIOS undervolt request applies the same amount of undervolt as ThrottleStop does. On some computers, mostly desktop computers, the undervolt that ThrottleStop applies is separate from the undervolt that the BIOS applies.

I wish I had a better answer for you. I guess you will just have to be happy knowing that using ThrottleStop has helped you get the most out of your computer. What happens behind the scenes to the voltage is anyone's guess.