• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

swapped 1080ti for 7800xt - can't click/enable gpu..

System Name Green Machine
Processor Intel i7-6700K @ 4.635 GHz Core & 4.325 GHz Cache
Motherboard ASUS Z170 TUF Sabertooth Mark 1
Cooling Corsair H110i GT 280mm AIO
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16GB (4x4) @ 3300 MHz (16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) MSI 4070 Super Gaming X Slim 12GB (2910 Mhz core 21.5 Gbps mem)
Storage Samsung 950 PRO 512GB NVME SSD , Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD , WD Blue 7200 1TB HDD
Display(s) Sony XBR810C 55" 4K TV
Case Thermaltake Core V51 Riing Edition Mid-Tower
Audio Device(s) OG Bose Wave Radio acting as a "soundbar"
Power Supply EVGA P2 Platinum 750w
Mouse Several
Keyboard Several
Software Windows 10 Home
I've been a user of Real Temp for a looooong time (well, at least 14 years). It's one of the first 3-5 programs I install ANY time I need to either re-install my own windows OS or I'm working with/helping someone else. But for me I just can't imagine not having it. I realize there are plenty of other programs out there that monitor temp... but I like real temp :/. A lot. It's the only one that functions exactly how I'm comfortable with and looks exactly the way I want it to.

Anyway, when I started using it in '09ish I was using an AMD gpu and never had an issue with temp display or anything. Built a new PC in 2016, this time with an Nvidia gpu, and installed it right away with no problems as well. This PC has had 3 gpus already, all Nvidia (980ti/1080/1080ti), and never had an issue. Finally just got an upgrade today and installed a brand new 7800XT, and to my shock all of a sudden I cannot enable GPU monitoring. If I try and click the "ATI" button, which looks like it's check-able, it just grays itself out. The check box under "gpu" up near the cpu and individual cpu core checkboxes is grayed out to begin with (I assume because neither ATI nor Nvidia is checked down below). Before posting here I googled it and found a 13yr old thread of many people having the same issue, both with nvidia and amd graphics cards. The "solution" was to edit the .ini file with "GPU=1" or "GPU=2" for nvidia and amd cards respectively. Worked for a few people, did not work for others. Well, I'm now having the same problem 13 years later, and I'm one of the unfortunate % who the .ini edit does NOT work for.

Please help me to get this working again. The CPU display is just fine (always has been - btw, always used intel cpus). Thanks in advance for any replies.

System Name DLSS / YOLO-PC
Processor i5-12400F / 10600KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B760M DS3H / Z490 Vision D
Cooling Laminar RM1 / Gammaxx 400
Memory 32 GB DDR4-3200 / 16 GB DDR4-3333
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT / RX 480 8 GB
Storage A couple SSDs, m.2 NVMe included / 240 GB CX1 + 1 TB WD HDD
Display(s) Compit HA2704 / Viewsonic VX3276-MHD-2
Case Matrexx 55 / Junkyard special
Audio Device(s) Want loud, use headphones. Want quiet, use satellites.
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000 W / FSP Epsilon 700 W / Corsair CX650M [backup]
Mouse Don't disturb, cheese eating in progress...
Keyboard Makes some noise. Probably onto something.
VR HMD I live in real reality and don't need a virtual one.
Software Windows 10 and 11
Real Temp hasn't been updated for more than a decade. Probably it doesn't even have knowledge as to what modern AMD GPUs are.

I don't think there's any other way other than reverse engineering and upgrading this software or using different stuff for monitoring.

Storage Samsung 950 PRO 512GB NVME SSD , Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD , WD Blue 7200 1TB HDD
Mouse Several
Keyboard Several
Software Windows 10 Home
Well it worked for the 1080ti which is quite a bit newer than the 3.70 real temp. Also, a big factor in me thinking there is a solution is the thread I mentioned, with the author (I believe) not understanding why that bug would occur for anyone (greying itself out as you try to click it). Yet several ppl mentioned having it. And now I have it. It doesn't say it doesn't recognize anything. It's just that both the nvidia and the ati checkboxes "evade" clicks ever since I swapped gpus.

for ref. - https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/cant-see-gpu-temp.132545/

edit: also, it wasn't the author who responded. but, yea, I'm still feeling like there's a solution ehre. could definitely be wrong, though...

System Name DLSS / YOLO-PC
Processor i5-12400F / 10600KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B760M DS3H / Z490 Vision D
Cooling Laminar RM1 / Gammaxx 400
Memory 32 GB DDR4-3200 / 16 GB DDR4-3333
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT / RX 480 8 GB
Storage A couple SSDs, m.2 NVMe included / 240 GB CX1 + 1 TB WD HDD
Display(s) Compit HA2704 / Viewsonic VX3276-MHD-2
Case Matrexx 55 / Junkyard special
Audio Device(s) Want loud, use headphones. Want quiet, use satellites.
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000 W / FSP Epsilon 700 W / Corsair CX650M [backup]
Mouse Don't disturb, cheese eating in progress...
Keyboard Makes some noise. Probably onto something.
VR HMD I live in real reality and don't need a virtual one.
Software Windows 10 and 11
Well it worked for the 1080ti which is quite a bit newer than the 3.70 real temp.
And RX 7800 XT is the same bit newer than the 1080 Ti. And AMD aren't particularly famous for their legacy support so it's most likely got cut off their drivers and Real Temp doesn't have any access to readings whatsoever.

Yet I don't know what else you can ever need other than built-in AMD monitoring which is very decent and other than HWinfo which is exhaustingly informative.

Mouse Several
Keyboard Several
Software Windows 10 Home
I love having my cpu and gpu temps (max cpu core and gpu core - 2 #'s) in my system tray. I am pretty anal about exactly how my tray is set up, and I am constantly looking down there and/or one-click opening programs like Process Hacker (probably the biggest MUST-have for me) or everything or afterburner (which I've used the last 10 years or so, probably will continue once I decide to stop using the bloat of the full amd driver).

But, yea. I love having simple apps that do simple, important things (for me). Just 1 app for both the gpu and cpu (max core only), with adjustable font and color, that takes up minimal resources (esp cpu and I/O). I've spent the last hour or two looking everywhere for a good replacement and there just isn't one. Either it has cpu/gpu all in one space, not customizable and too small to really read, or it does way more than I need (HWinfo) or something else. Nothing compares to realtemp for me. Don't wanna use speedfan (used to). I actually finally found an app I used to have, Open hardware monitor, which is almost identical to techpowerup's hwMonitor but allows for showing individual values in the tray (right click) AND allows colors but font is much smaller than realtemp and not adjustable. So I'm using both realtemp and Openhardware monitor atm (OHM uses surprisingly few cpu/io resources when minimized and only displaying gpu - less than realtemp!). Using 2 apps is still not ideal fo rme, though. It works for right now, but I'd rather get realtemp working :(

If/when I go back to MSI Afterburner I can just use that for gpu and get rid of OHM (unless I decide I like it since on doubleclick I still get what's basically HWmonitor and that's good for new hardware).

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
I used to use RealTemp many moons ago for my original i7 920 and consequent i7's for quite a few years. Then I found Core Temp much more to my liking, for CPU temps anyway.

I always just check GPUz for GPU temps and use MSI afterburner in games for all temps/power/ram usage etc.

Check out core temp if you haven't already done so. You can customize the colors of the cores and minimize it to system tray and all cores will be showing.

GL.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Nvidia GPU temperature monitoring has remained consistent. I think the code that worked 12+ years ago in RealTemp 3.70 still works correctly today on newer Nvidia GPUs. Thumbs up to Nvidia for maintaining backwards compatibility for all these years.

The AMD GPU monitoring method changed, likely when AMD bought ATI. Code that used to work correctly on old ATI GPUs does not work when trying to read the temperature of new AMD GPUs. I have not owned or had access to any AMD GPU hardware since then. I think the last ATI GPU I owned was an X1900 XT from 2006.

Writing free software used to be fun times. Without any income, I decided to stop RealTemp development a long time ago.

Please help me to get this working again.
Most Intel CPUs have way more cores than what RealTemp can monitor. RealTemp also uses the old WinRing0 driver that has known security vulnerabilities. I would not use RealTemp to monitor any Intel CPU. Time to move on.

Mouse Several
Keyboard Several
Software Windows 10 Home
Ah, I see. That sucks. The first PC I used real temp with was running a 5850, which I believe was one of ATI's last prior to AMD buying them? Been using it ever since, with all my gpus being Nvidia since then. I am a creature of habit, though, and until I replace my 6700K I will continue to use real temp to monitor (I don't even need the GT version for this). I'm not too concerned with the security risk atm. :x I'll live with it for a few more months to a year.

As for core temp - used it. Didn't like it for some reason (and I believe it's only cpu temp - I'm looking for a 2-in-one gpu/cpu). I literally cannot find another SIMPLE tool that mimics realtemp (which, honestly, I wouldn't think would be too hard as far as simply displaying the 2 temps and giving the tools to customize the font..... it's the way RT is setup in the systray that I'm hooked on). I'm a HUGE fan of free software that does what it does, keeps things simple, doesn't try and do too much. Different tool for different job. Such as Nirsoft's utilities (or Russinovich's Sysinternals stuff - although process hacker >> process explorer ;). I have always used TONS of utility and test software, including cpu-z/gpu-z, aida, HWinfo/HWMonitor, Sysinternals suite, and dozens more. But those are on-demand. I have precious few that I start with Windows and keep in my carefully-manicured systray! (yea, I'm weird about it - I treat my windows OS almost like a hacker does their Linux setup)

Anyway, thank you for the replies. And thank you, unclewebb, for writing Real Temp and giving it away for so many years. I think it's a great piece of software. I will continue my search, though, and hope to find something closer to Real Temp to use for the future. Right now I'm still using the combo I mentioned last night, which is real temp for cpu, as always, and OHM w/ gpu displayed in systray next to realtemp's cpu display. It looks almost exactly how I had it for the last 14-15 years, it's just the gpu display font looks more like the default realtemp font than my custom pref).