• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Tests with powerplay states

mksu

Processor Intel C2D E8200 @ 3,4 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte EP35-DS3 @ 425 MHz FSB
Cooling Sharkoon Silent Eagle
Memory 8 GB OCZ DDR2 Platinum @ 1020 MHz
Video Card(s) Ati Radeon HD 3870
Storage Samsung HD502IJ
Display(s) FujitsuSiemens ScaleoView 19''
Case Sharkoon Rebel9 Value
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Audigy
Power Supply Superflower P12P 400W
Software Windows 7 64 Bit Professional
Hello to everyone I'm new to this forum!

I found here this great RBE tutorial which was very helpful to me. Just the Powerplay settings with their linked ten clock infos remained unclear to me. It was not really obvious under which conditions which powerplay state is applied in connection with low, medium and high mode. So I flashed a Bios on my HD 3870 with "color marked" clocks, which means that i use ten different clock settings with wide spreads between them. Afterwards I ran Windows with several applications and monitored the GPU clock with the Rivatuner in order to determine the applicated power states and the related modes.

My HD 3870 is equipped with the following states:
State 0 - Boot
State 1 - Power savings for notebooks, high performance, optimal performance, overdrive template
State 2 - Power savings for notebooks, high performance, optimal performance
State 3 - UVD

Now to the results:
  • In idle mode (desktop, office, firefox) the card is running in State 2 in low mode. It does not make any difference if Aero is activated or not (I use Win 7 64 bit as OS).
  • Sometimes there are short leaps in idle to medium mode, but they last only for one two seconds, are not reproduceable and do not depend on GPU load.
  • In 3D applications like games (Bad Company 2, TW 08) or Furmark the card remains in State 2, switching to high mode.
  • State 3 is activated when replaying HD videos, immediately applying high mode, just switching temporarily into low mode when winding back or forward.
  • When replaying Youtube videos or other non HD video sources (especially TV series episodes sized appr. 370 MB), the card remains in State 2 low mode.
  • Whether the checkbox "enable Ati Overdrive" in the CCC is activated or not, the card remains in State 2. If the card is being overclocked by CCC, the clock set in CCC is applied instead of high mode in State 2.
  • I was not able to shift the card onto State 1. The only evidence of State 1 is that its medium mode is the new lower bound of GPU clock in the CCC Overdrive tool.
So it would be very interesting to find out what this overdrive template is, which is the difference between State 1 and 2, and under which conditions it is applied. Additionally I would like to know under which conditions the medium modes are applied. The hitherto expressed assumption is that it consists with Windows Aero, but I didn't find any clue for it as enabling and disabling Aero doesn't make any difference. So I look forward to here your ideas!

Last edited:
Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
mksu Welcome to TPU !

I would be interseted in knowing this info too...I will be following the thread.:toast:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
very nice writeup, good work.

the low / medium / high switching basically counts how many clock cycles in a given interval the gpu is idle and then picks an appropriate profile

mkchiu

I've never seen the "over drive" or "state 1" on the 5770 Hawk I'm currently testing. There is only UVD and a three-frequency stair as you have. That's regardless of changing the Windows Power Scheme, ATI/CCC Over Drive, or gaming.

I'd hope it's extra option or a BIOS option for laptops only. Since just the low to medium clock frequencies within "state 2" seem to glitch frequently and cause visible distortions, e.g. 157 to 600 to 157 on both 5770s I've looked at.

mksu

Processor Intel C2D E8200 @ 3,4 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte EP35-DS3 @ 425 MHz FSB
Cooling Sharkoon Silent Eagle
Memory 8 GB OCZ DDR2 Platinum @ 1020 MHz
Video Card(s) Ati Radeon HD 3870
Storage Samsung HD502IJ
Display(s) FujitsuSiemens ScaleoView 19''
Case Sharkoon Rebel9 Value
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Audigy
Power Supply Superflower P12P 400W
Software Windows 7 64 Bit Professional
But why should they implement a Bios option only für notebooks into a desktop graphic crad? Albeit the low mode in State 1 and 2 is referred as "power savings for notebokks", it is applied ont he desktop Pc, too.

mkchiu

But why should they implement a Bios option only für notebooks into a desktop graphic crad? Albeit the low mode in State 1 and 2 is referred as "power savings for notebokks", it is applied ont he desktop Pc, too.

The nomenclature has not kept up with the usage of dynamic states.

Referring to power savings or notebooks mode is not unusual. Intel SpeedStep began as a way to control notebook power and temperature. Modern desktop CPU and GPUs have some degree of power savings from dynamic frequency or dynamic voltage controls which began on laptops. Also it's difficult to change entrenched naming conventions.

i know that this an old thread but i want to know something about the "state 0 - boot".
the background is, that my hd4670 card gets very hot when its not in windows.
when for example i am in the motherboards bios setup or i bootet a dos livecd or other livecds which doesnt have a running or working amd/ati driver.

is there anything i can do to get my card cool also in theese situations ?