• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Cause Of And Fix For Radeon R9 290X And 290 Inconsistency

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Unigine heaven and valley barely respond to cpu speed inceases. I know heaven for a fact barely budges...sadly, what you are seeing is likely more gpu than you even thought. ;)

if the max fan setting was raised to 100%, all the cards will perform the same wont they? they would just end up at different fan speeds if they really are generating different amounts of heat

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Same exact system, same architecture, and graphic driver, do you see the discrepancy in performance, the spread is close to 15%, that definitely does not fit under normal manufacturing irregularities in my book.

Look, I talk from personal experience, check the unigine thread in our very own forums, I tried to max out my card, and my system was beat by Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge systems with even less OC than my Haswell CPU, the difference was so big I just quit trying to get more performance from this card.

It's so bad that my original intention was to put this card under water, but why invest all that money for a lemon? I finally just decided to get an Arctic Hybrid for it and call it a day.

This is me, a 290X owner speaking from personal experience, there are way too high discrepancies between 290X cards in the wild, and this article opened my eyes to the issue, the solution, like many others said before is to either get a third party cooler or don't get a reference card at all, sad but true, I learned my lesson the hard way unfortunately.

That must have been really frustrating.

I'm curious, did the Arctic Hybrid stop it throttling or reduce the amount of throttling at least? Did the card then get near the performance scores that you were expecting?

It really looks to me like the only really bad thing about the 290X is the cooler. With a proper one like your aftermarket one , it should give NVIDIA a run for its money on noise and framerate performance.

Processor 8700k Intel
Motherboard z370 MSI Godlike Gaming
Cooling Triple Aquacomputer AMS Copper 840 with D5
Memory TridentZ RGB G.Skill C16 3600MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Display(s) Dell U3011 2560x1600 + Dell 2408WFP 1200x1920 (Portrait)
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) Essence STX
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
Unigine heaven and valley barely respond to cpu speed inceases. I know heaven for a fact barely budges...sadly, what you are seeing is likely more gpu than you even thought. ;)

0,5 FPS between 4,4 GHz and 5,2 GHz lol, (3930k)

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit

Yes, I fully agree, it's mostly GPU dependent, but processor OC should at least make it so my card scores a bit higher than another system with an older processor, and the same card on lower clocks, however that's not the case unfortunately:

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3004723&postcount=367
Core i7 4770K @ 4.7GHz

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3006016&postcount=388
Core i7 3770K @ 4.4GHz

As you can see my score is lower, even though my OC for the GPU and CPU are a little higher, I even set the fan at 100% and it didn't make any difference :(

That must have been really frustrating.

I'm curious, did the Arctic Hybrid stop it throttling or reduce the amount of throttling at least? Did the card then get near the performance scores that you were expecting?

It really looks to me like the only really bad thing about the 290X is the cooler. With a proper one like your aftermarket one , it should give NVIDIA a run for its money on noise and framerate performance.

It's, don't get me wrong, this is a monster of a card, and I run BF4 maxed out on it with absolutely zero issues, the performance you get for the price is, at the moment 2nd to none, but the card obviously has trouble maintaining high clocks with the reference cooler.

I haven't received my Hybrid yet, I'm really looking forward to putting it on my card and finally seeing it realize its full potential will definitely let you know how it works once I do :rockout:

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
It's, don't get me wrong, this is a monster of a card, and I run BF4 maxed out on it with absolutely zero issues, the performance you get for the price is, at the moment 2nd to none, but the card obviously has trouble maintaining high clocks with the reference cooler.

I haven't received my Hybrid yet, I'm really looking forward to putting it on my card and finally seeing it realize its full potential :rockout:

Epic, I wanna see those benchies man! :toast:

I also want it to eat NVIDIA's best cards for lunch directly competing with them head to head.

Yes, I fully agree, it's mostly GPU dependent, but processor OC should at least make it so my card scores a bit higher than another system with an older processor, and the same card on lower clocks, however that's not the case unfortunately:

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3004723&postcount=367
Core i7 4770K @ 4.7GHz

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3005985&postcount=387
Core i7 3770K @ 4.3GHz

As you can see my score is lower, even though my OC for both the Process and the GPU are a little higher, I even set the fan at 100% :(
That's what I am saying. These benchmarks are literally 99% gpu. Within reason, which a 3770k and 4770k are even with your slightly different clocks, won't be a difference maker in these benchmarks. Your gpu, for whatever reason, is seemingly throttling more than his it appears. The only way to confirm would be a gpuz fps log of both your cards at the same settings and analyze those results.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I do wonder what could be made if the collective brainpower of both companies engineers were put together with both companies intellectual property. Saddly this is called monopoly.
An emense argument followed by pigs smashing the windows in and eating all the cake.

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
0,5 FPS between 4,4 GHz and 5,2 GHz lol, (3930k)

I noticed a sizable difference going from SB-E to Haswell using the exact same cards on this particular benchmark:

3930K at 5GHz 5863

4770K at 4.7GHz 6154

Both the X79 system and the Z87 system were running at PCIe 3.0. The GPUs had been OC'd on the second bench, but I don't think the difference in GPU clock would account for 300 more points, what do you think?

Your gpu, for whatever reason, is seemingly throttling more than his it appears.

Precisely, and that, my dear friend, is the conundrum ;)

Last edited:
System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x-5600x | 9600k
Motherboard B450 AORUS M | Z390 UD
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action | AIO
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB) | Samsung DDR4 (4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) Pixio PX279 Prime
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT | Black bench
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W | EVGA 700 Gold
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
I'm not a rocket scientist, but I'm pretty sure changing out the thermal paste to something better would make a world of difference.

I would do that 1st then if it doesn't help get an aftermarket cooler and be done.

AsRock

TPU addict

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 6600 8 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS

The nVidia's cooler has less fins but seems sturdier (?) and the fan is higher.

Having never owned either card, i can't really tell but that's what it seems to me, anyway.

I've said it a few times already but i'll say it again: AMD shot themselves in the foot with a cannon ball by using that poor-excuse-of-a-cooler as a reference cooler.

For comparison purposes, i just would like to know what the performance would be on these cards if they were benched @ a fan speed (or water cooled) that made sure it did not throttle (not thinking of overclock), and compare the findings with the reference cards: that way, we could estimate the size of the cannon ball AMD used to shoot themselves in the foot.

I'm not a rocket scientist, but I'm pretty sure changing out the thermal paste to something better would make a world of difference.

I would do that 1st then if it doesn't help get an aftermarket cooler and be done.
That depends on the factory application really. I have seen a few C drop with a swap to none. It is worth a try as in this case, every little bit helps.