• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The ultimate way to mod your RX460-590 cards & newer (GUIDE) + consulting with all kinds of rig issues

Pagliacci63

Hi,

I started mining last weekend with my RX 570 4Gb MSI Armor. It did 1.9MH/s max in Ethash. This seems to be extremely low and switching between gaming mode and compute mode did not change anythig. My drivers are updated, my memory clock is 2100, gpu clock 1100 and I'm using claymore and phoenix. The only thing that is not updated in my system is the bios of my motherboard. What am I doing wrong?

Hi,

I started mining last weekend with my RX 570 4Gb MSI Armor. It did 1.9MH/s max in Ethash. This seems to be extremely low and switching between gaming mode and compute mode did not change anythig. My drivers are updated, my memory clock is 2100, gpu clock 1100 and I'm using claymore and phoenix. The only thing that is not updated in my system is the bios of my motherboard. What am I doing wrong?
4GB cards are weak at mining pure Ethereum because the DAG file size has increased over 4GBs. You may try running your card on 'Eth Zombie Mode' available on lolminer and some other miners or mine any other Ethash based coin if it gives you more profit with 4GB card.

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
I think that's the issue.
I was able to run 6 rx470s with 1000w psu a few years ago. I dont remember that exact power draw but it was around 800w for 6 gpus. I used a biostar tb250 btc motherboard, intel celeron cpu, 4gb of ram and 120gb SSD.

Processor Amd Ryzen 7 Pro 1700@3.6Ghz
Motherboard Asus Prime B350 Plus (needed pci slot for Ht Omega Claro Halo)
Cooling Noctua C-14
Memory 16GB A-Data DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro Duo
Storage Patriot Torch 512gb, Seagate Barracuda 512gb , Adata 128gb SSDs & 1TB Western Digital Black
Display(s) Seiki 39" 4k
Case MetallicGear Neo Air
Audio Device(s) Ht Omega Claro Halo
Power Supply Rosewill Glacier 850 watts
Mouse Ancient Razor Diamondback
Keyboard Logitech Illuminated
Software Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
Why are you guys mining Etherium now? It's much more profitable to mine Vertcoin.

rcruz

Why are you guys mining Etherium now? It's much more profitable to mine Vertcoin.
Good to know, never heard about that before. Checking the minerstat site show me very attractive rewards.

Noob mistake :laugh:

Never modded RX 5700 series so advance with caution. There are more steps on flashing it than on Polaris cards. Remember to unlock rom with the flasher tool. Post me the results!

Added v2 version of it with different tREF values. It's based off of a RX 5700 card, non XT which tend to provide more performance in some cases to XT cards. If you have trouble flashing the bios, hex-edit rom and under version numbering change the value to 068.

Attachments

• STRIX_RX5700_XT_Straps-upgrade.zip
    211.3 KB · Views: 91
  • STRIX_RX5700_XT_Straps-upgrade_v2.zip
    205.9 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

rcruz

Never modded RX 5700 series so advance with caution. There are more steps on flashing it than on Polaris cards. Remember to unlock rom with the flasher tool. Post me the results!

Added v2 version of it with different tREF values. It's based off of a RX 5700 card, non XT which tend to provide more performance in some cases to XT cards. If you have trouble flashing the bios, hex-edit rom and under version numbering change the value to 068Thba yo
Thank you!
I'm away at the moment, but I'll give a try as soon as I get back

Ataru83

hi to all!
i'm here to ask help with the restore of my xfx rx 580 card.. i do more tests with differents bios after i have got this problem. i only see black display until the os loads and in the bios i see unknown device under gop. i reflashed many timese my original backup bios but without luck. i see "older asic vbios isn't signed" when i use the flasher. there is some metod to reset the card?
thanks

hi to all!
i'm here to ask help with the restore of my xfx rx 580 card.. i do more tests with differents bios after i have got this problem. i only see black display until the os loads and in the bios i see unknown device under gop. i reflashed many timese my original backup bios but without luck. i see "older asic vbios isn't signed" when i use the flasher. there is some metod to reset the card?
thanks
Are you using integrated graphics to display the picture or does the picture come off from your card? Do you have other cards in the system? Always run atiflash as *Run as administrator*, disable CrossFire if it's enabled by mistake and set on Compute mode, depending the drivers you are using. Also don't forget to use atimdag pixel patcher after flashing the card and reboot the system.

Alternatively do a full clean up with DDU (Driver uninstaller) with a safe reboot, uninstall and install drivers again. Use atimdag pixel patcher after the driver installation if needed and do a reboot and see if the system sees the card.

Nonpossible

Update: I've tried all sorts of things this week and I still can't get a stable build. Windows SEES all 6 GPUs but after each crash, drivers still need to be reinstalled completely.
-I tried a different set of RAM on the MOBO
-I tried tons of different variances for clock speeds and power settings in claymore including letting it try the auto-tune function (that was never stable but didn't crash to the point of needing a driver reinstall)
- Tried lowering mem clock speeds all the way down to 1700 across all cards.
- Tried two different PSUs, Corsair and EVGA and also tried 2 PSUs at the same time, each powering half the GPUs respectively.
- Reflashed each card individually and ensured their BIOS switches were in the correct position per their brand/manufacturer
- tried PCI latency settings, 32,64,96 and even 128 bus clocks.
-tried gen 1,2 and 3 and tried a blend, "PEG0 gen2, PEG 1 & 2 gen1"

The motherboard is an MSI Z97 Gaming 5, 8gb of RAM, 120gb kingston SSD, i5 4690k (no overclock set)
The GPUS are a mix, 3 sapphire RX 570s and 3 XFX 580s.

At this point I think everything points to a driver issue. I don't see how it could be anything but the amd drivers or Windows. Thoughts?

Can you elaborate how is it that you have to reinstall AMD drivers after every crash? Doesn't it load GPU's anymore after the initial crash? If you restart PC a couple of times, GPU's are still unrecognized?

One of the cards must cause the crash or incorrect motherboard BIOS settings.

You could try changing PCIe Config to 8x/4x/4x on motherboard BIOS. Also try other miners, Phoenix & lolminer. Post log files from couple of miner instances. Your last chance is trying to run the rig with only 5 cards and see if it helps, if not, see what happens with 4 cards.

Nonpossible

Can you elaborate how is it that you have to reinstall AMD drivers after every crash? Doesn't it load GPU's anymore after the initial crash? If you restart PC a couple of times, GPU's are still unrecognized?

One of the cards must cause the crash or incorrect motherboard BIOS settings.

You could try changing PCIe Config to 8x/4x/4x on motherboard BIOS. Also try other miners, Phoenix & lolminer. Post log files from couple of miner instances. Your last chance is trying to run the rig with only 5 cards and see if it helps, if not, see what happens with 4 cards.
When it crashes, claymore doesn't recognize anything but the RX 580s until I completely reinstall drivers. Windows still sees and recognizes all the cards at RX 570s and 580s but not Claymore.

I'll try the 8x/4x/4x next and another kind of miner. Attached are logs from most recent crash. mem clocks set to 1700 and no core or memory voltages changed. It only lasted two hours before crashing this time.

Update: So the mobo accepted the Gen2/Gen1/Gen1 8x/4x/4x settings at 96 latency. Running claymore right now. We'll see if this one lasts.

Attachments

• logs.zip
    294.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Processor Amd Ryzen 7 Pro 1700@3.6Ghz
Motherboard Asus Prime B350 Plus (needed pci slot for Ht Omega Claro Halo)
Cooling Noctua C-14
Memory 16GB A-Data DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro Duo
Storage Patriot Torch 512gb, Seagate Barracuda 512gb , Adata 128gb SSDs & 1TB Western Digital Black
Display(s) Seiki 39" 4k
Case MetallicGear Neo Air
Audio Device(s) Ht Omega Claro Halo
Power Supply Rosewill Glacier 850 watts
Mouse Ancient Razor Diamondback
Keyboard Logitech Illuminated
Software Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
What's a good undervolt for 1411mhz gpu? (Sapphire Nitro 580 Plus's 4gb)

@Freshbrewed can you offer some assistance with a MSI Armour 570 8gb?
I've attached modded rom. Tell me the results after your testing.
What's a good undervolt for 1411mhz gpu? (Sapphire Nitro 580 Plus's 4gb)
Core or Mem? Fiddle with numbers on Radeon tuning / wattman software, lower voltages gradually until it becomes unstable so you'll see a stable undervolt values for yourself.
When it crashes, claymore doesn't recognize anything but the RX 580s until I completely reinstall drivers. Windows still sees and recognizes all the cards at RX 570s and 580s but not Claymore.

I'll try the 8x/4x/4x next and another kind of miner. Attached are logs from most recent crash. mem clocks set to 1700 and no core or memory voltages changed. It only lasted two hours before crashing this time.

Update: So the mobo accepted the Gen2/Gen1/Gen1 8x/4x/4x settings at 96 latency. Running claymore right now. We'll see if this one lasts.

Is it working now?

Attachments

• MSI_ARMOUR_RX570_8GB_Samsung.zip
    108.7 KB · Views: 146

Lucky007

Hi guys. I need a little help with MSI RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC ( SK Hynix H5GQ8H24MJR ) . I can't break it up for mining and I'm already crazy about it. Can anyone help me to adjust the bios ??? Thanks all.

Attachments

• MSI.RX580.8192.170314.zip
    110.1 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
I have the first results..XFX bios is great so far, mining has risen from 26MHs to 31 !!! But bios for RX MSI 480 unfortunately does not work, mining has dropped from 26MHs to 18MHs..Could you please apply yet ??? Thank you

26Mh/s to 31Mh/s is quite good! What's the power consumption for your XFX card? Does it produce memory errors? (Use HWINFO64 program to check for memory errors)

As for the MSI RX480, I've attached new rom with lowered clocks, increased memory voltage and changed memory straps.

Hi guys. I need a little help with MSI RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC ( SK Hynix H5GQ8H24MJR ) . I can't break it up for mining and I'm already crazy about it. Can anyone help me to adjust the bios ??? Thanks all.

So what were your results on previous cards?

Letiv

Hey mates, i overclocked one of my RX570 8gb with the program overdriveNTOOL.
and i accidentally changed the Value to high (GPU P9 to 1500 MHz) and applied. My screen went WHITE and i restartet my PC.
The GPU is still working in trems of the fan is moving and the light is on, but i dont get any video output from the GPU.

HOW can i change the overclock settings that i did ?

i am not sure if i can get into BIOS while the GPU is plugged in because i cant see anything, my CPU have a intregrated GPU with video output that i can use,
but while my GPU is plugged in it priorities the real GPU how can i change that ... ?

I also have some pcie_x1_1 and pcie_x1_2 slots to plug a secondary GPU but i need some equipment for that, what i will buy tomorrow.

I tried to Uninstaller overdriventool didnt work.
And i tried to recovery my pc... Didnt work.

Is the GPU dead ?

Someone told me you can help me...

And he told me to try this:
Start your pc with the onboard video and your Rx 570 unplugged. Download ddu and run it with windows in safe mode. ddu - https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html. Turn off your pc. Install the Rx570 and see if it works.

Thanks for helping :)

Hey i have a secondary rx570 8gb with a different problem.
I bios modded one of my GPU's like in this video shown

But i missed the pixel patcher step before restarting the PC and now i dont get any video output from the GPU... but the GPU is still working (fan is moving and the light is on).

Can i solve this problem by plugging a secondary working GPU for video output, to do the same steps or even reprogramming the original .rom data for the failed bios modded GPU?

Please help me

Your problems are so strange that I'm afraid it's because you are confused with the behavior of your graphics cards which is abnormal while using OverdriveNtool because the settings you make in the tool take place only when you apply them in the Windows OR you make a startup .bat to load profiles automatically on windows startup.

Start with basics. Unplug all GPUs if you have many in use and unplug power cable from the system. Take off motherboard's small battery and have it off of the motherboard for a minute or two. Install battery back, plug power cable back and start without your GPUs. It should take you to BIOS with the integrated graphics (given you plugged display cable to your motherboard) and set your BIOS to use intergrated graphics in Windows usage (IGFX, Integrated Graphics, IGPU, it has many names in motherboard BIOS). Then boot into Windows and see if it's ok. Then plug your graphics card but keep your display cable plugged to your monitor and see if Windows Device manager recognizes your GPU.

As to your failed patch, just again, keep your display to integrated graphics, boot into Windows desktop and just use pixel patcher, no need to flash the card again or do any occultism. If it's not working that means you propably failed with the flashing (pulled someone other's rom which is incompatible or you edited your rom yourself with way too high frequencies or too low voltages).

straja44

Hi,hoping you can help me,i just got new asus dual oc rx 580 8gb edition,i modded it with polaris bios editor but the card got unstable during mining and it works only if i reduce memory to 1700mhz,reverted back to stock bios and overclocked memory to 2100mhz with undervolt getting 28mh/s which is low since i see other people getting 31+,other cards that i modded with PBE work normally,only this one is the problem,here is the stock bios in case you can help me in anyway.Thank you :V

Attachments

• Ellesmere.rar
    107.7 KB · Views: 108
Hi,hoping you can help me,i just got new asus dual oc rx 580 8gb edition,i modded it with polaris bios editor but the card got unstable during mining and it works only if i reduce memory to 1700mhz,reverted back to stock bios and overclocked memory to 2100mhz with undervolt getting 28mh/s which is low since i see other people getting 31+,other cards that i modded with PBE work normally,only this one is the problem,here is the stock bios in case you can help me in anyway.Thank you :V
Try this out, it's more for the straps than the actual "overclock" values. Use OverdriveNTool as instructed in here to lock the bios voltages to desired level and fiddle with Mhz for both core and memory as you wish.

Attachments

• ASUS_DUAL_RX580_Samsung.zip
    108.5 KB · Views: 106

straja44

Try this out, it's more for the straps than the actual "overclock" values. Use OverdriveNTool as instructed in here to lock the bios voltages to desired level and fiddle with Mhz for both core and memory as you wish.
Sadly the card instantly crashes when i start miner with bios you provided,same experience like when i bios modded it T.T,i have also tried from wattman timing level 1 and 2,the card is stable on memory timing level 1 but i am using it on hiveOS and there you can't change memory timing.Is there any way to bios mod it with these values ? Thanks for help :V

Attachments

• IMG_20210306_002703.jpg
    IMG_20210306_002703.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 265

eternick

Hey Freshbrewed. Just wanted to say thank you for offering some support for those looking to optimize their mining by looking over their bios. I have a 8 x XFX RX 580 8gb Samsung memory cards. Currently, the hashrate is 29.95 or 30.00 MH/s each on a good (cold day) using hiveos, Phoenixminer with OC config:
Core 1250
DPM 1
VDD 900
MEM 2250
REF 30

Attached in a zip file is my bios. Should I just count my blessings and keep my OC config as is noting that this is as optimal (& stable) as I am going to get, or would you be able to provide a bios to squeeze out just a little more hashrate. Thanks in advance, I appreciate your help.

Attachments

• RadeonRX580-8G-Samsung_K4G80325FC-113-58085SSD2-W90.zip
    110.2 KB · Views: 125