• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
Need more coolers like R1 Ultimate from Cryorig, more coolers with broken spines:

Maybe it’s the perspective, but it feels like that on some cases this would obstruct the back exhaust fan slot?

Heiro78

I'm glad TR is hopefully forcing other companies to lower their prices, all air-coolers have ballooned in pricing to absurd levels imho. Would't buy one myself though, I think they look like ass. . . give me a unified cover for both towers, then we're talking.
Hardware Canucks responded on a youtube video that supposedly Thermalright is undercutting competitors to gain market share. Kind of like what Hisense and TCL are doing in TVs. Sell cheaper products to gain word of mouth and once popular enough, raise prices on newer products. I believe it's working since so many top reviewers have mentioned the TA Peerless Assassin or Phantom Spirit.

System Name Donnager
Processor 13900KS, lapped and contact frame
Motherboard Asus Z790 Hero
Cooling Heatkiller IV CPU block, Heatkiller V GPU block, GTX 480mm radiator, D5 pump
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury 7200C38
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3
Storage Optane 380GB M.2 OS drive, M.2 2TB game drive
Display(s) Alienware 34" Ultrawide 120Hz 3440x1440
Case Fractal Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Outlaw RR2150 stereo receiver driving DIY kits, Schiit Asgard for Sennheiser HD6XX headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Looks like Thermalright has another winner here, trading blows with AIOs for a great price. I like the subtle LED effects on these fans, too. This heatsink doesn't come with them, but I appreciate how the fans on my Ultra 120 EX Rev4 are dual ball bearings. That heatsink installs as easy as a Noctua and way better than my Be Quiet DRP4.

Processor Ryzen 5600X@4.85 CO
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m S2H
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock Slim
Memory Patriot Viper 4400cl19 2x8@4000cl16 tight subs
Video Card(s) Asus 3060ti TUF OC
Storage WD blue 1TB nvme
Display(s) Lenovo G24-10 144Hz
Case Corsair D4000 Airflow
Power Supply EVGA GQ 650W
Software Windows 10 home 64
Benchmark Scores CB20 4710@4.7GHz Aida64 50.4ns 4.8GHz+4000cl15 tuned ram SOTTR 1080p low 263fps avg CPU game
I'm very satisfied with my peerless assassin :)

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -20 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-76
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -50 uv
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
No Peerless Assassin review

just fyi, I didn't say peerless assassin, I said Frost Commander 140. no big deal though as I assume your answer is still the same. :toast:

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
DeepCool's factory is in Huizhou. They have sales offices in Los Angeles and Eindhoven, an export hub in Hong Kong (probably, just guessing), some type of office in Taipei and the company is headquartered in Beijing. If you go to DC's own website they have a tab labelled "OEM/ODM" that takes you to their manufacturing website. . .
Yeah, looks like they have enough to make their own stuff without contracting. They're not quite CoolerMaster or Foxconn in scale but definitely one of the bigger ones.

There's this thread about Thermalright's manufacturing where a Deepcool employee is contributing. It doesn't look like DeepCool have any involvement with Thermalright (as of Aug 2023) but they did/do make AlpenFohn coolers for Europe, and having bought a few of those I can definitely see the DeepCool influence there.

It seems that DeepCool does not sell an affordable 7 heatpipe cooler under their own name, just the premium Assassins.
I love how you and @CatalinT are 100% certain that Thermalright is a sub-brand of Deepcool. The rest of us have posted plenty of photos and links that makes it seem unlikely but nobody really has any hard proof since it's not something either company advertises.

So that means this theory of yours needs some kind of supporting material. Post some links or photos showing that Deepcool are the OEM for Thermalright. Until we see that, you're definitely bordering on the side of tin-foil-hats and consipiracy theory. Even if you have no evidence, that's okay - you can hypothesize and explain why you *think* DC manufactures Thermalright products. In a discussion with no hard evidence on either side, reasoned arguments are welcome. Just outright stating it as fact with absolutely no explanation of why believe that and zero proof of that is what's completley bonkers to me.

Last edited:
Maybe it’s the perspective, but it feels like that on some cases this would obstruct the back exhaust fan slot?
With only the two stock fans that it doesn't block the rear fan much more than a normal dual-tower, even if it does eat up a little bit of breathing room. I have this cooler (in its box, had to switch to my DRP4 as cooling on Zen 4 sucks balls) and the only negative with this type of thing is that the heatpipes can touch the VRM-heatsinks (did so on my B550 Gaming Edge Wifi, made a small dent but no more) and can interfere with installation as the front tower can block the screwdown-screws as alignment won't be perfect on every cooler.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Can't find this Evo cooler on Newegg, Amazon or microcenter, shame.
If you're not worried about RGBLED, then the PS120SE is an identical heatsink without the black coating and HardwareCanucks proved that the difference fans of the EVO don't add anything other than cost and RGBLED to the equation.

Here they are on Amazon (US):
1713464814411.png

Need more coolers like R1 Ultimate from Cryorig, more coolers with broken spines:
Where is the rear case fan supposed to fit, exactly?!

Surely the rear case fan that lines up PERFECTLY with the holes for rear case fan is better than the R1 Ultimate's last fan of which at least SOME airflow will certainly just smacks straight into a wall of solid case panel because there are only a couple of mm clearance to the back wall of the case.

System Name pote
Processor Amd 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte b650m aorus elite ax
Cooling Thermalright peerless assasin 120 se
Memory 32gb lexar 6000 cl32
Video Card(s) AMD XFX 580 8GB
Storage Lexar 2tb nvme gen4
Display(s) asus ips 24inch 1080p, LG OLED B9 4K120
Case Antec CRAP
Audio Device(s) REALTEK CRAP
Power Supply corsair 550w vx550
Mouse microsoft PROINTELLIMOUSE
Keyboard microsoft wireless
Software win11 PRO x64
I have the tr assasin and it also covers the 4 sticks of ram

Surely the rear case fan that lines up PERFECTLY with the holes for rear case fan is better than the R1 Ultimate's last fan of which at least SOME airflow will certainly just smacks straight into a wall of solid case panel because there are only a couple of mm clearance to the back wall of the case.
The cooler stock only comes with 2 fans, so not any different than a normal dual-tower cooler. The configuration shown in the image I pulled off Google is non-standard, I can't comment on its viability.

If you're not worried about RGBLED, then the PS120SE is an identical heatsink without the black coating and HardwareCanucks proved that the difference fans of the EVO don't add anything other than cost and RGBLED to the equation.

Here they are on Amazon (US):
View attachment 344143

yeah i think im gonna end up getting the PS120SE non rge though, i dont like the lighting on this.
my brother prolly gonna get the deepcool ak620 digital, since he doesnt have an ambient temp problem like i do (he has AC, i dont)

abbacchus

I upgraded from a DeepCool Gammaxx 400 to this early this year. Temps dropped to just 10c over ambient at idle and 50c delta during a stress test and thought my monitoring software was broken at first. The Gammaxx was at something like 20/70 deltas, and my CPU is a very conservatively PBO'd 65W Ryzen.

The LEDs are not very bright (maybe half as bright as those on my B450M Steel Legend motherboard). They add a little glow but you could also just not plug in the headers if RGB annoys you. I find them tasteful, but I also have a 70% solid side panel with two 120mm fan mounts and mesh above the CPU and expansion cards so I don't actually have a clear view of my components.

The fans are functionally identical to the B12 fan TR also makes, and my motherboard fan tuning put minimum PWM on one to 18% and the other to 20% so I'd expect 450 or so minimum RPM. They have a nice deep sound profile that isn't annoying at higher RPM, but it's a little whiny at about 1000-1200 and silent below that. Outside of CPU stress tests, my GPU cooler is still the only noise I notice coming from my case due to rattling, but it also has dampening foam inside so your mileage may vary. Sounds were pretty noticeable with the panel off.

Processor E5-1680 V2
Motherboard Rampage IV black
Video Card(s) Asrock 7900 xtx
Storage 500 gb sd
Software windows 10 64 bit
Benchmark Scores 29,433 3dmark06 score
just fyi, I didn't say peerless assassin, I said Frost Commander 140. no big deal though as I assume your answer is still the same. :toast:
Oooh I’d love to see the Frost Commander 140 reviewed!