• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
thoughts on this then? because what he says on the video the heatsink is actually different in terms of the cooler fins on the evo.
Sorry you're right, the EVO uses the even cheaper heatsink from the PS120 SE - here's the side-by-side of the silver PS120 SE and the PS120 EVO:
1713438568085.png
The PA120 appears to be the one with a slightly different heatsink design.

Almost. The PS120 has an additional heatpipe over the PA120.
Yeah, my bad - see post above, it's the identical heatsink to the PS120 SE (edited)

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Sorry you're right, the EVO uses the even cheaper heatsink from the PA120 SE - here's the side-by-side of the silver PA120 SE and the PS120 EVO:
View attachment 344082
The vanilla, original PA120 with the metal top caps appears to be the one with a slightly different heatsink design.

Yeah, my bad - see post above, it's the identical heatsink to the PA120 SE, not the vanilla PA120.
Yeah it's not like he says they're the same right:

I wonder for how many different brands makes the manufacturer coolers. And what is this mysterious manufacturer. I would like to know it, because I really like my Deepcool AG620 and Assassin IV is considered to be possibly the best air cooler available now.

Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Yeah, my bad - see post above, it's the identical heatsink to the PA120 SE, not the vanilla PA120.
It is identical heatsink to PS 120.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
It is identical heatsink to PS 120.
Oh god, yeah. PS, not PA
TR make too many coolers ! :laugh:
I'll go fix the post up above

I have no idea where you guys got the idea that DeepCool and Thermalright are different products made by a different company. MADE means physically produced, not rebadged. Try to examine the coolers one more, this time more carefully, including the packaging.
What point are you trying to make? That DeepCool's AK620 is made in the same factory as TR's PS120 EVO? Maybe, it's not impossible and that does happen as ODMs often outsource to OEMs, - but they're clearly very different coolers with subtle differences in just about everything.

If you're wondering why packaging and thermal paste syringes look similar, then it's entirely possible that both companies are sourcing their packaging and pastes from the same dedicated packaging and dedicated thermal paste providers. In case it's not obvious, a factory producing stamped aluminium hardware like heatsinks doesn't make its own cardboard boxes or thermal paste. Those are very different factories that share nothing in common with each other.

Last edited:
What point are you trying to make? That DeepCool's AK620 is made in the same factory as TR's PS120 EVO? Maybe, it's not impossible and that does happen as ODMs often outsource to OEMs, - but they're clearly very different coolers with subtle differences in just about everything.
Which is a funny thing to point out as DeepCool is an OEM, so if Thermalright's coolers look like theirs it's very possible they're made in DC's factory.

Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Oh look it's dual tower cooler, they all must be made by same OEM.

Deepcool uses cardboard for their packaging, must be same OEM.

Oh look, they have syringes with thermal paste. Same!

Which is a funny thing to point out as DeepCool is an OEM, so if Thermalright's coolers look like theirs it's very possible they're made in DC's factory.
Wow, their lab/s equipment looks impressive, they make even heatpipes. I am happy that I by accident bought a product from A REAL MANUFACTURER! :clap:

DC lab.png

Somebody from DeepCool please reveal for which brands you make coolers. I am a very curious person.

Last edited:
System Name Aorus
Processor 14600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B760 AX DDR4
Cooling ID-Cooling A720
Memory 64GB Kingston Renegade 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4070 Super Aorus Master
Storage 970 evo plus 870 evo 860 evo Kinston NV2 all 1TB
Display(s) Corsair 315QHD165
Case Nzxt H440 white
Audio Device(s) Jbl quantum duo
Power Supply Corsair RMx 650 2021
Mouse Razer basilisk V3
Keyboard Razer ornata V2
Software Win 11
Oh look it's dual tower cooler, they all must be made by same OEM.

Deepcool uses cardboard for their packaging, must be same OEM.

Oh look, they have syringes with thermal paste. Same!
I guess you and your other friend work in the industry because its obvious that you know all the details like who makes what and so on.I say lets stop here with all this nonsense you are talking like you know something. You just assume things at you own will and you dont have a solid proof and please dont start again with design and minor things like colours and shapes...

Can't find this Evo cooler on Newegg, Amazon or microcenter, shame.

You can buy a DeepCool cooler instead. Will be the same thing and the name of the manufacturer will be correct.

BTW I made a mistake above, because the DeepCool Ax620 coolers have only 6 heatpipes and the Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO has 7, they are thus not directly comparable.

It seems that DeepCool does not sell an affordable 7 heatpipe cooler under their own name, just the premium Assassins.

You can buy a DeepCool cooler instead. Will be the same thing and the name of the manufacturer will be correct.

BTW I made a mistake above, because the DeepCool Ax620 coolers have only 6 heatpipes and the Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO has 7, they are thus not directly comparable.

It seems that DeepCool does not sell an affordable 7 heatpipe cooler under their own name, just the premium Assassins.
Idk why but I read your post and it looks like it has a bit of sarcasm in it ? Or am I wrong ? Also I was looking into getting a better air cooler due to the fact that having an ambient temperature of 30c during the afternoon is not easy to deal with.
Isn't the phantom spirit SE or the evo better choices instead of the ak620 though ? Seems to be a difference of 4ish degree, and taking a in consideration the ambient tempt I mentioned might play an important factor for me, don't get me wrong I love the ak620 digital but at this point I rather get as much as performance I can.

7 heatpipes are better than 6.

If you want an affordable 7 heatpipe cooler from Deepcool, it must be probably the one in the review. Assassin IV is excellent but also expensive.

System Name Gungnir
Processor Ryzen 5 7600X @1.25v
Motherboard ASUS TUF B650M-PLUS WIFI
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assasin 120 SE Black
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 CL36 5600MHz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 6800XT Merc 319 @1.1v @2600MHz clock @2140MHz vram freq. (surprisingly stable)
Storage 1TB WD SN770 | 2TB WD Blue SATA III SSD
Display(s) 1440p 165Hz VA
Case Lian Li Lancool 215
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80Ohm
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless
Keyboard Keychron V6
VR HMD The bane of my existence (Oculus Quest 2)
There it is! The one we were all eagerly waiting for!
Either Thermalright is pulling miracles with their new air coolers or everyone else agreed to not make air coolers good so that the prices may be jacked up, or they are just that incompetent at making a very cost effective part.

Whatever the case may be, great review!

7 heatpipes are better than 6.

If you want an affordable 7 heatpipe cooler from Deepcool, it must be probably the one in the review. Assassin IV is excellent but also expensive.
Yeah assassin's 4 seems also good but too pricey, might as well just get the phantom spirit SE or EVO whatever is at hand, which so far seems to be the SE, can't find the evo in places I'll like to purchase from.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
@BoggledBeagle
Thermalright has switched ownership a couple of years ago and are now owned by a company that also owns manufacturing facilities. Seems to be part of the reason for why they are able to get to such aggressive price points. So no, they don’t use DeepCool as an OEM currently. They might have in the past, which would still not make their products “rebranded DeepCool” or whatever. That’s not how OEMs operate. Unless this is the same silly logic as “I buy only Seasonic PSUs cuz muh OEM”.

Thermalright has switched ownership a couple of years ago and are now owned by a company that also owns manufacturing facilities. Seems to be part of the reason for why they are able to get to such aggressive price points. So no, they don’t use DeepCool as an OEM currently. They might have in the past, which would still not make their products “rebranded DeepCool” or whatever. That’s not how OEMs operate. Unless this is the same silly logic as “I buy only Seasonic PSUs cuz muh OEM”.
Your post is the same cryptic and suspitious as the lack of information on the Thermalright web page.

Where is this company registered, what is the proper legal registration information, who owns them and who makes coolers for them?

System Name Aorus
Processor 14600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B760 AX DDR4
Cooling ID-Cooling A720
Memory 64GB Kingston Renegade 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4070 Super Aorus Master
Storage 970 evo plus 870 evo 860 evo Kinston NV2 all 1TB
Display(s) Corsair 315QHD165
Case Nzxt H440 white
Audio Device(s) Jbl quantum duo
Power Supply Corsair RMx 650 2021
Mouse Razer basilisk V3
Keyboard Razer ornata V2
Software Win 11
Your post is the same cryptic and suspitious as the lack of information on the Thermalright web page.

Where is this company registered, what is the proper legal registration information, who owns them and who makes coolers for them?
I found this in other forum : This was mentioned more than once by Gamers Nexus on the Deepcool assassin IV review. Thermalright is now doing their own manufacturing. At one point Steve said they were purchased by a manufacturer. This would explain recent QC issues with their fans as they bring that process inhouse. Overall this is great news assuming new ownership doesnt run them into the ground with ****ty QC.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
Ah yes, because every company has this info on their customer facing sites. Like DeepCool who… oh wait, they just state that they have HQ in Beijing. Huh. No legal info. Funny how it works.
And TR is Taiwanese, always was. As for my “cryptic” post - that info comes from the Assassin IV review by GN where Steve mentions that they know this since they “dug deeper”. Seeing as how he has contacts in the industry, I am willing to trust him on this. You can write to GN directly or, hell, to TR if you want all the legal stuff. (Yup, as the post above mentions)
And being “suspicious” when the company has been well established and known in enthusiast space for more than two decades is fairly amusing.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Guys, Deepcool is an ODM just like Thermalright. They are headquartered in Beijing where nothing is manufacturerd, they just have offices there with design and testing equipment. Thermalright are the same, but with design offices in Taipei.

The factories (OEMs) where products are mass-produced are not in Beijing or Taipei. They'll be in somewhere factory-centric like Dongguan or Shenzhen. ODMs like Deepcool and Thermalright will contract these factories to produce product lines exclusively for them, but ODMs don't typically own their own dedicated factories. It's not how the region works and there are plenty of documentaries on this - of which the Factory Tour series by Steve over at GN are good examples.

Deepcool might be big enough to be vertically-integrated and own their own factories, much like CoolerMaster - but when that happens, they're unlikely to then manufacture stuff for their competitors. Look at it this way; Even huge companies like Apple and ASUS don't do that - They outsource manufacturing to Foxxconn etc.

The company behind the Thermalright-brand is a company known as "SOMORE TECH" on Sanmin road in New Taipei City, Taiwan. SOMORE was founded in April 2016 and seems to be some kind of reorganisation of the previous company incorporated on Roosevelt road in Taipei City itself known as "Lea-Min Technologies", which had been in business since the year 2000 and had used the Thermalright-brand since 2001. The only name attached to SOMORE is a man named as "Lai Hongwei" and I say it was a reorganisation as the Thermalright-trademark was transferred to the new company only ten days after it was founded, while "Lea-Min Technologies" was liquidated four months later in August 2016, which seems odd to me unless it was planned. SOMORE's production facility seems to be located in the "Weixinda Technology Park" in Shenzhen, China.

Guys, Deepcool is an ODM just like Thermalright. They are headquartered in Beijing where nothing is manufacturerd, they just have offices there with design and testing equipment. Thermalright are the same, but with design offices in Taipei.

The factories (OEMs) where products are mass-produced are not in Beijing or Taipei. They'll be in somewhere factory-centric like Dongguan or Shenzhen. ODMs like Deepcool and Thermalright will contract these factories to produce product lines exclusively for them, but ODMs don't typically own their own dedicated factories. It's not how the region works and there are plenty of documentaries on this - of which the Factory Tour series by Steve over at GN are good examples.

Deepcool might be big enough to be vertically-integrated and own their own factories, much like CoolerMaster - but when that happens, they're unlikely to then manufacture stuff for their competitors. Look at it this way; Even huge companies like Apple and ASUS don't do that - They outsource manufacturing to Foxxconn etc.
DeepCool's factory is in Huizhou. They have sales offices in Los Angeles and Eindhoven, an export hub in Hong Kong (probably, just guessing), some type of office in Taipei and the company is headquartered in Beijing. If you go to DC's own website they have a tab labelled "OEM/ODM" that takes you to their manufacturing website. . .

Last edited:
Would be nice if duel tower coolers didn't have their fans covering the DIMM slots. If I buy fancy RAM, I want to see it.
Curious what performance is like with only the middle fan installed.

The company behind the Thermalright-brand is a company known as "SOMORE TECH" on Sanmin road in New Taipei City, Taiwan. SOMORE was founded in April 2016 and seems to be some kind of reorganisation of the previous company incorporated on Roosevelt road in Taipei City itself known as "Lea-Min Technologies", which had been in business since the year 2000 and had used the Thermalright-brand since 2001. The only name attached to SOMORE is a man named as "Lai Hongwei" and I say it was a reorganisation as the Thermalright-trademark was transferred to the new company only ten days after it was founded, while "Lea-Min Technologies" was liquidated four months later in August 2016, which seems odd to me unless it was planned. SOMORE's production facility seems to located in the "Weixinda Technology Park" in Shenzhen, China.

Interesting information, thanks!

Deepcool now has a lighter version of Assassin IV called 4S, which has only the middle fan, but the air is forced by the outer shroud to go through both finstacks.

If you did this with bare finstacks, I am afraid that the front finstack would perform pretty poorly.

Last edited:
Would be nice if duel tower coolers didn't have their fans covering the DIMM slots. If I buy fancy RAM, I want to see it.
Need more coolers like R1 Ultimate from Cryorig, more coolers with broken spines: