• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Update my silencer?

pablofrogo

Is it worth getting an ATI silencer 3 to replace a Rev 1 and small copper RAMsinks on a 9800XT? The RAMsinks I have are naff and I want to cool them better. Is it worth it?

sersalpha

I don't think that you'd see an increase in cooling performance going from a rev. 1 to a rev. 3. The ramsinks definately help though as long as there's some air movement over them. I have a sidepanel fan that is blowing over the OCZ Cu BGA RAMSinks that I use. If you're looking for a perfomance increase and ramsinks, you should consider the Zalman ZM80-DHP, which will give you both

zealot`grr

yep, I agree with sersalpha - I wouldn't count on an increase in o/c-headroom when replacing a silencer rev 1 /w rev 3

pablofrogo

How do you not understand? ATI silencer 3 does not mean Rev.3, if I meant that I'd have said it. What I meant was the Rev.4 ATI 3 for 9800XTs.

sersalpha

Well, from the looks of it, they added a copper base and thinned out the aluminum fins. However, it seems to have less surface area & mass than the rev. 1. A more powerful fan would probably make up for the difference, but given that its claim to fame is being a quiet cooling solution, I seriously doubt that the difference in performance would be more than 3C-4C. I'd wait for an in depth comparison before dropping the dough on the new revision.