• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrade Your Speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MT/s CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Panasonic? What is that? DO they even make Speakers?
Screenshot_20221117_001111.png

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
WOW Hey Danny needs to see this crap!
I wonder how much better he can get them speakers sounding, I wonder if he can "Fix" that Receiver too that thing looks like it could use some crossover help.
I think I seen that at goodwill the day. LOL....

JK if it works the way you think it should then what is there to "FIX"?

Audiophiles are like the Borg...

Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MT/s CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
if it works the way you think it should then what is there to "FIX"?
Nothing to fix here, I'm good...

I'm not the OP though...

System Name Donnager
Processor 13900KS, lapped and contact frame
Motherboard Asus Z790 Hero
Cooling Heatkiller IV CPU block, Heatkiller V GPU block, GTX 480mm radiator, D5 pump
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury 7200C38
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3
Storage Optane 380GB M.2 OS drive, M.2 2TB game drive
Display(s) Alienware 34" Ultrawide 120Hz 3440x1440
Case Fractal Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Outlaw RR2150 stereo receiver driving DIY kits, Schiit Asgard for Sennheiser HD6XX headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Here's a link to Klipsch crossover designs by speaker model. There's even some documentation Klipsch has provided for modifying the crossovers of their own speakers:

It's not all that uncommon. My Legacy Focus towers come with switches on the back to bump the bass or treble sections by 2dB to help owners tweak the speakers to taste and the room.

I watched a few of GR Danny's vids. It all looks legit to me. Frequency response, waterfall plots, parts discussions, cabinet evaluations. If I had retail grade speakers, wanted to tinker, and had some money to burn, I'd try the upgrade kits. Might be better off selling the speakers and buying better ones, or building kits from scratch (or flat packs) if one has the time and skills. It's quite rewarding.

Looks like the OP may have moved on from this thread, though. Anyway.....

Last edited:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Here's a link to Klipsch crossover designs by speaker model. There's even some documentation Klipsch has provided for modifying the crossovers of their own speakers:

It's not all that uncommon. My Legacy Focus towers come with switches on the back to bump the bass or treble sections by 2dB to help owners tweak the speakers to taste and the room.

I watched a few of GR Danny's vids. It all looks legit to me. Frequency response, waterfall plots, parts discussions, cabinet evaluations. If I had retail grade speakers, wanted to tinker, and had some money to burn, I'd try the upgrade kits. Might be better off selling the speakers and buying better ones, or building kits from scratch (or flat packs) if one has the time and skills. It's quite rewarding.

Looks like the OP may have moved on from this thread, though. Anyway.....
Yes, Danny is really good at his work a perfectionist and I would never take that away from him. I just can't see dropping 2K on a speaker and then having to put another 500 into it to make it better. maybe take some old ones and give them new life but just buy new better ones?
I am just like you, if it takes half as much to fix something new with better parts then just buy a better or new product.
It's like taking a v6 and putting all new parts and aftermarket gear, you still have the core product under it all.

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
It's like taking a v6 and putting all new parts and aftermarket gear, you still have the core product under it all.
Think you just answered your own question. Why not add a turbo to your V6 and improve performance at some cost? Or don’t, and enjoy your engine as it came from the manufacturer.

Again, if you really think that you can improve or have improved on the Klipsch speakers how come they haven't just switched over to your stuff? Or got Danny to work for them?
Its clear as day its improved, the measurements show that unless you like the sound that colored but even if you did, everything else the crossover is doing in relation to phase and timing is objectively poor.

By "your stuff" you mean better crossover components in general I guess? That should be obvious, but the reason is because they are expensive and Klipsch like any other manufacture owned by a large parent company is motivated by profits and the crossover is easiest place to cut costs.
I Made crossovers in the 80's in high school electronics class. I may not be a audio expert but I do know a bit about electronics. Oh, I also MADE my own speakers in that class as well they were sweet 150W HAND wound by my own hands the coil and even made a new cone for them. Yeah, I do know a bit of what I am talking about. even if you want to use that Audiophile lingo to try and convince me I am wrong.
You can do all kinds of things with your own hands but without proper tools and fundamental understanding of key principals it dosn't make much sense. Building a crude transducer by hand is a science experiment, its interesting but has no practical application, sort of like like trying to build your own toaster from scratch. And everything being discussed here is basic fundamentals of speaker design not "audiophile lingo", you would only call it that if you didn't understand it and the whole point of this thread was to be a learning experience.

Its not the 80s anymore either. Anyone can learn this, play the simulation software and pickup a calibrated mic and trail and error and get to decent performing / sound speaker.
So, I present to you this challenge, make a $60 dollar Sony speaker sound as good as my KD-51M And I will be SOLD I will trash all my crossovers and buy up all Danny can make for my speakers I have 6 pair of Klipsch speakers. Till then I am going to remain a sceptic.
Ummm... no. The information is (or was) there for anyone to do with what they want. There isn't anything to prove, the measurements of the original crossover and the new one speak for themselves, if you are happy with what you have leave them be.
And PS I am a fanboy I always have been I have a very long history here as a fanboy. AMD's #1 FANBOY HERE and Klipsch as well as DENON!
Do not hate me because I have great equipment, Hate the Equipment you have that is not that great..
Most people fanboy to some extent but you are getting defensive about to the point you where can't have a rational conversation.

Its not about who's shit is better. All the speakers I have are DIY and built by myself sometimes with the help of others so you wouldn't even know what they are. I've seen the measurements and I've listened to enough stuff to know how great they are or aren't in respect to commercial stuff.
Yes, Danny is really good at his work a perfectionist and I would never take that away from him. I just can't see dropping 2K on a speaker and then having to put another 500 into it to make it better. maybe take some old ones and give them new life but just buy new better ones?
I am just like you, if it takes half as much to fix something new with better parts then just buy a better or new product.
Danny goes for neutrality. Not everyone but most people prefer that type of response after the excitement of a boost top end or bottom wares off. Most of what he is doing with this particular speaker though is fixing the phase and timing relationship which is broken with the original 600M, nobody we prefer that aspect the way it is stock vs the "fixed" version.

The parts are higher-end because if you are hand building your own crossover your time is worth something too. The parts are not extreme by any means and are exactly the same thing you see the big brands use in their higher-end lines. Klipsch could probably get the same quality parts GR uses for 10-20% less but the MSRP of the speaker would be double.

yes and Panasonic/Matsushita sold h-fi audio equipment & speakers under a name that bespeaks power, wealth, and sexiness...Technics

Panasonic / Technics was and is legit, SU-G700, C600.

My parents still have a complete Marantz set with record player, CD player, dual cassette and radio. (90s I think)
An uncle of mine still has a Technics set from the 90s.

@trickson Marantz is what you want.... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.