• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrading sd card -> apps installed on old sd

Hello, A3 2017, android 8.0.0. Im upgrading micro sd card from 32 to 64gb. I moved all installed apps from internal storage to micro sd card. What is the safest and fastest way to upgrade sd card without losing installed apps and data ? Is it as simple as copy paste and phone will detect the change and do whats necesary ? Or should i use some app to do proper micro sd cloning or backup/restore to cloud (32gb of data, time consuming). Tnx

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Just copy-paste it, preferably turn on hidden and system files in Explorer (or in Total Commander).
Alternatively, you can use Macrium Reflect to do an exact copy of an old card. This way you won't have to mess with partition sizes.

I tried just copy pasting but after that i had gray icons, clicking them said apps not found. Under settings/apps i couldnt find the apps. So i just plugged in the old card and moved apps to internal storage, plugged in a new one and moved them to sd card. Took just few minutes.

Testing the speed of sd card is funny, always get about 60mb/s write, read is sometimes 60mb/s, sometimes 120mb/s. Using sd card testing apps. Sd card is exfat and half full.

My phone for some reason gets incredibly slow when i have only 2/16gb internal free. Which happens fast cause unmovable youtube and chrome bloat from 150mb to 600-800mb. When i manualy clear cache on them, the phone flies. I have like 1 gig of important apps on internal storage, banking apps. I removed everything else i could to sd card, yet i only have like 4.5gb free on internal. Wish i could free more. Unrooted phone cause i cant root, otherwise banking apps wont work. Its cheap old phone but seeing how it flies after cache delete makes me sad - its still perfectly usable when i disable all nonsense. Wish i could move youtube and chrome to external and convince it to remain on a diet. Also freeing a gig or 2 would also give me some headroom. But not sure what else i could do. 12 gig on android 8.0.0 sound a little much. And this internal storage slows down when full. Dont think defrag would help with non mechanical flash disk or sd card