• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[US] [USA] Zen 4 Ryzen 7940HS 5.2Ghz Minisforum PC $479

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-76
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -50 uv
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W

has wifi 6 and bt 5.3 and all you need to buy is 2x16gb crucial ram sticks off amazon for 85 at 5600 rated speed (2x8gb crucial is 44) to pop in this, and if you have some storage laying around, install linux mint and away you go, someday SteamOS for steam deck will be able to be used on systems like this too, so pretty solid all around, or of course you can pay for a cheap win 11 key.

pretty solid deal here.

Have one, can't give a good report though. Been having stability problems with it.

I only way I can keep it stable is by leaving Prime95 running in the background. That's right, it's more stable with a stress test running. Only need one thread, on the lightest setting, but still.

I assume there's something wrong with their voltage curves. Stress test loads one core which pushes voltages up, which I'm thinking is what's keeping the other cores stable.

Of course, simplistic bios the likes of which you'd find on dells and what not, so no useful settings (e.g. Curve Optimizer) that would let me fix it myself.

There is a new bios out which I need to get around to applying, that may help. But I don't have my hopes up.

No complaints other wise though. Running prime95 all the time, it does get warm, but not distressingly so.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Have one, can't give a good report though. Been having stability problems with it.

I only way I can keep it stable is by leaving Prime95 running in the background. That's right, it's more stable with a stress test running. Only need one thread, on the lightest setting, but still.

I assume there's something wrong with their voltage curves. Stress test loads one core which pushes voltages up, which I'm thinking is what's keeping the other cores stable.

Of course, simplistic bios the likes of which you'd find on dells and what not, so no useful settings (e.g. Curve Optimizer) that would let me fix it myself.

There is a new bios out which I need to get around to applying, that may help. But I don't have my hopes up.

No complaints other wise though. Running prime95 all the time, it does get warm, but not distressingly so.

Honestly that sounds really strange, you need to contact their customer support while it is under warranty, all the other reviews of it seem pretty positive. I was going to get one, but not so sure now. I still want a dedicated Linux setup, so this is unfortunate to hear. Maybe I will hold off, thanks for the info.

I have heard bad reports about older models, but I read this 7940HS APU came with lot of upgrades, including better cooling, etc... you do have the 7940HS APU version?

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.

That sounds right -- low load power delivery issues. Super common with certain motherboards -- try putting it on windows ultimate performance power plan?

Shame though - impressive bit of kit once they sort that out.

Honestly that sounds really strange, you need to contact their customer support while it is under warranty, all the other reviews of it seem pretty positive. I was going to get one, but not so sure now. I still want a dedicated Linux setup, so this is unfortunate to hear. Maybe I will hold off, thanks for the info.

I have heard bad reports about older models, but I read this 7940HS APU came with lot of upgrades, including better cooling, etc... you do have the 7940HS APU version?

I have this on a $300 Wal-Mart laptop i got from like 3 years ago... The linux slavtop when I have to go debug network gear -- Linux is so much faster than windows on old machines it's insane.

Last edited:

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5

Not even C-states controls in BIOS? Give that a disable if it has the option.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Not an issue I was expecting to be brought up here, so I guess I won't be getting one of these after all, thanks for your input everyone. I guess my Dad's minipc works so well because it doesn't need much power at all (runs Intel N100 cpu)

Yes, I have the UM790 Pro, I pre-ordered it for its release a few months ago.

I've been chomping at the bit for several years to get a mini pc like this with full hdmi 2.1 support, to drive my tv at it's full capabilities.
Not even C-states controls in BIOS? Give that a disable if it has the option.
I don't think so, but it's been over a month since I messed w/ it. Being used to building my own pcs, and those motherboards' bios, I was shocked to see how basic this one was.

I'll try to remember this weekend to throw the new bios on and see if that helps. Will report back if/when I do.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
I'll try to remember this weekend to throw the new bios on and see if that helps. Will report back if/when I do.

Please do! Your issue does not sound normal at all. I'm wondering if you just got really unlucky, because on the Minisforum website it has nothing but 5 star reviews...

1695450304008.png

only a sample size of 5... lol

how do you power it? like it just shows in picture usb4 plugged in? do you need a 45w type c brick and a 100w rated type c cable? or does it come with an actual power brick?

edit: nm it shows on product page "DC 19V (adapter included)"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 232534

has wifi 6 and bt 5.3 and all you need to buy is 2x16gb crucial ram sticks off amazon for 85 at 5600 rated speed (2x8gb crucial is 44) to pop in this, and if you have some storage laying around, install linux mint and away you go, someday SteamOS for steam deck will be able to be used on systems like this too, so pretty solid all around, or of course you can pay for a cheap win 11 key.

pretty solid deal here.

SteamOS is just an Arch based distribution of Linux (a compilation of installed packages). You can easily set up such system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.