• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Youtube, Discord, Visual Studio Code are flickering with black checkered squares/vertical lines. Partial solutions to this issue.

@KsushaTeaKisa Here is just some extra info about bug nr 3.
I can also easily reproduce it, now that I've upgraded my computer from "Windows 10 with an Intel 6700K CPU" to "Windows 11 with an AMD 7800X3D CPU". So, apparently you need Windows 11 or/and a modern CPU to easily reproduce it.
Oh, I have Windows 11 and AMD Ryzen 5 5500, isn't that enough for reproduce?

By the way congratulations on your upgrade!

Pap3rEmperor_

Good day, I just created an account because I got similar issues.

Thank you for this thread. It's greatly appreciated.

So essentially whenever I use Chrome, at low load. Black blocks or black checkerboard patterns appear on my display and disappear as soon as they appear. It's so hard to catch it on video as it's utterly so random. It happens on YouTube or any website. I did DDU, update Windows. Cleaned my PC, checked power cables and all the usual. GPU seems to be fine when doing OCCT, Heaven and Furmark. I am going to go through the recommendations. Hopefully, my GPU is not actually failing. I got left than year left on warranty (Got the GPU in October 2021). I use a RTX 3060. Model GA106, Revision A1. Thanks OP.
With this, I am on Windows 10 with a AMD Ryzen 7 5800X. My one friend not sure if related to the bug, his display cuts out? He did DDU and such. He's on a GTX 1660 Super. When I had his GPU in my system to test a while back. There wasn't an issue. So I am not sure why he's getting this. He's not very technical. So its going to be difficult to diagnose. IO Ports on his GPU are in a rough shape, rust. But the PCB seems good. Not sure if he mined on his GPU, as the thermal pads had sweat marks.

I had this problem on my 3060, I thought it was broken. I changed to 4070 and the same thing. I'm glad to know it's a general issue and a known bug with Nvidia. let's wait for an official solution

Thanks for the analysis

With this, I am on Windows 10 with a AMD Ryzen 7 5800X. My one friend not sure if related to the bug, his display cuts out? He did DDU and such. He's on a GTX 1660 Super. When I had his GPU in my system to test a while back. There wasn't an issue. So I am not sure why he's getting this. He's not very technical. So its going to be difficult to diagnose. IO Ports on his GPU are in a rough shape, rust. But the PCB seems good. Not sure if he mined on his GPU, as the thermal pads had sweat marks.
Good day, you definitely have this exact bug and there is nothing wrong with your GPU, but as for your friend, he definitely has something else. The fact is that this bug does not cause the screen to cuts out/errors/crashes/BDOS, and does not in any way affect to PC. If you have tested his GPU on your PC and your screen did not turn off, then 1660S is working correctly and the problem is something else. This could be a problem with his PSU, overheating GPU in his computer case, problem with the display cable, with the monitor, or even a problem with the OS/conflicts in it. It is really difficult to diagnose this without knowing the details. At least I gave you a few options to think about. Good luck :)

Whats better for Chrome? OpenGL or D3D9?
Hello, I recommend to use OpenGL for most Nvidia GPUs, but if you notice any lag (for example, when watching Youtube videos), then you should change it to DirectX 9.

However, there is also Wezelkrozum's method using flags for a browser shortcut:
Create a shortcut to the browser and add these arguments to "Target" field of the shortcut: --disable-features=DCompPresenter --disable-direct-composition-video-overlays

Also try disabling "Auto Scan" in the monitor input signal settings. It may be weird, but this may solve your friend's issue. I've seen a lot of problems with this setting, especially on MSI and Samsung monitors.

Kardahim

Hi,
I still think this bug is related with windows update. I wrote that everything was right before my travel. After my return this bug appears. I found date, and name of update.
1696774650952.png

Title: July 11, 2023. - KB5028937 cumulative update for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.8 and 4.8.1 for Windows 10 version 22H2
Installed: 06.08.2023
Microsoft page about update : https://support.microsoft.com/pl-pl...sji-22h2-28524dcd-0b7d-4108-9ef5-8db21c70b432

Pap3rEmperor_

Good day, you definitely have this exact bug and there is nothing wrong with your GPU, but as for your friend, he definitely has something else. The fact is that this bug does not cause the screen to cuts out/errors/crashes/BDOS, and does not in any way affect to PC. If you have tested his GPU on your PC and your screen did not turn off, then 1660S is working correctly and the problem is something else. This could be a problem with his PSU, overheating GPU in his computer case, problem with the display cable, with the monitor, or even a problem with the OS/conflicts in it. It is really difficult to diagnose this without knowing the details. At least I gave you a few options to think about. Good luck :)

Hello, I recommend to use OpenGL for most Nvidia GPUs, but if you notice any lag (for example, when watching Youtube videos), then you should change it to DirectX 9.

However, there is also Wezelkrozum's method using flags for a browser shortcut:
Create a shortcut to the browser and add these arguments to "Target" field of the shortcut: --disable-features=DCompPresenter --disable-direct-composition-video-overlays
Thank you! I will definitely look into this. Hopefully this bug gets resolved soon.

Also try disabling "Auto Scan" in the monitor input signal settings. It may be weird, but this may solve your friend's issue. I've seen a lot of problems with this setting, especially on MSI and Samsung monitors.
Ok, I will see what I can do. I am going to buy him a new cable and check things out.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
One AMD and one Nvidia user have mentioned the office bug in another thread was fixed by setting a game profile for the offending program in their driver software, and forcing 'high quality' mode

could be worth a look?

Mine triggers rarely (might be one frame in the 144Hz) and only when hardware accelerated video is playing, so it's not something i can reproduce and test easily

View attachment 316688
My games are a bit of a mix of stuff with my kids... don't judge me there... hahaha.

View attachment 316689
Here is the directory on where I found the original (non-shortcut) MS Office 365 Apps
View attachment 316690
Once it's setup... when you click on it to make a specific profile... I just used the "Quality" setting with no other changes.... that seemed to do the trick for me.

Last edited:

ultra35

I can 100% reproduce this bug everytime i watch this exactly video on youtube:
I recorded it with my smartphone:

as you see at 00:15 some pixel starts having issues, quick later some strange lines and flickering..

With changed Option to OpenGL its much better but still some artefacts..

Even different moviesfiles played with VLC have glitches.. A strange horizontal line that appears sometimes and goes up and down as you can see here in a quick video:
(only small part bc of copyright).

I deleted my 3060 driver. Then with the windows driver the issue has been much bigger with more artefacs and flickering and my pc got totally laggy..

and then i installed the newest driver from 2 days ago.. while installing, the pc had to reboot and then keeped installing.. after finishing i tested the yt link from above and the issue was completly gone. (and as mentioned this video was a 100% detector for my issue everytime). so i was super happy everything was working again.

Then i felt like restarting my pc bc of this new driver.. and after that suddenly the issue came back :(

Maybe that can help somebody to solve it. Why did it work for the short period between after installation and reboot?

and still another question: can u, who also have that issue, reproduce this issue with this first videolink too?
some videos run way better but that one is a safe detector for me.

Last edited:

as you see at 00:15 some pixel starts having issues, quick later some strange lines and flickering..

Even different moviesfiles played with VLC have glitches.. A strange horizontal line that appears sometimes and goes up and down as you can see here in a quick video:

I deleted my 3060 driver. Then with the windows driver the issue has been much bigger with more artefacs and flickering and my pc got totally laggy..

and then i installed the newest driver from 2 days ago.. while installing, the pc had to reboot and then keeped installing.. after finishing i tested the yt link from above and the issue was completly gone. (and as mentioned this video was a 100% detector for my issue everytime). so i was super happy everything was working again.

Then i felt like restarting my pc bc of this new driver.. and after that suddenly the issue came back :(

Maybe that can help somebody to solve it. Why did it work for the short period between after installation and reboot?

and still another question: can u, who also have that issue, reproduce this issue with this first videolink too?
Looks like a completely different issue.

"I deleted my 3060 driver. Then with the windows driver the issue has been much bigger with more artefacs and flickering and my pc got totally laggy.." - This tells me that the problem may be with your GPU.

Try disabling HDR if you use it. Maybe you are using a bad cable for your monitor?

Last edited:

Pap3rEmperor_

With regards to the checkered boxes. I don't seem to have it anymore when I don't use hardware acceleration. Everything seems normal.

But with regards to this, I get similar but horizontal lines? I can't describe it, but it goes away when I turn hardware acceleration back on. So I don't think my GPU is failing or something.

So in my situation. Having hardware acceleration off, fixes my checkered black boxes issue. There's a new driver update, so I am not sure if I should go and install it.

Using software encoding, I get similar horizontal lines when viewing google docs. So its just a software concern, nothing hardware.

ultra35

Looks like a completely different issue.

"I deleted my 3060 driver. Then with the windows driver the issue has been much bigger with more artefacs and flickering and my pc got totally laggy.." - This tells me that the problem may be with your GPU.

Try disabling HDR if you use it. Maybe you are using a bad cable for your monitor?
Alright thx.. No HDR is activated. Cant be the cable bc i have it on my TV and on the monitor.. i will send it back tomorrow and hope for a new card or credit to chose a new one which i hope.. bc i cant anymore with these nvidias cards.. no card hold up for more than 2,5 years.. im done with that

Alright thx.. No HDR is activated. Cant be the cable bc i have it on my TV and on the monitor.. i will send it back tomorrow and hope for a new card or credit to chose a new one which i hope.. bc i cant anymore with these nvidias cards.. no card hold up for more than 2,5 years.. im done with that
Use your videocard into another computer and try to reproduce your issue again. I don't want to say in advance that your videocard is faulty, but just this issue looks weird to me, and of course I could be wrong, because I’m not an expert.

UPD: I don't get any similar artifacts to yours in the video you provided and I'm using the default Google Chrome settings. By the way, I am using driver version 536.23 and have not yet updated to more newest drivers. This version is stable, I've been using it for a long time. Maybe you can try the same driver version? Although the fact that your computer very laggy and gets more artifacts when using the standard Microsoft driver is confused to me, it is indeed a bad sign.

Last edited:

ultra35

Use your videocard into another computer and try to reproduce your issue again. I don't want to say in advance that your videocard is faulty, but just this issue looks weird to me, and of course I could be wrong, because I’m not an expert.
unfortunataly i dont have the option to do that.. i will send it back.. even if its not the gpu itself i still expect it to be working for the money i paid. they have to take care for that. i already had some months of laggy videoplayback until any update fixed it and now another issue.. the money we pay should include quick fixes, not waiting for months with a broken system. i will send it back again and again until i get a solution.

unfortunataly i dont have the option to do that.. i will send it back.. even if its not the gpu itself i still expect it to be working for the money i paid. they have to take care for that. i already had some months of laggy videoplayback until any update fixed it and now another issue.. the money we pay should include quick fixes, not waiting for months with a broken system. i will send it back again and again until i get a solution.
Good luck with this and take care of your nerves, because this is more valuable than any money and hardware.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.

That's a Vsync issue

Video files in VLC are rendered at your desktop refresh rate, so when they don't match you get artifacting.
Horizontal panning is always the worst for this, and why blu ray players lock to 24Hz.

Some monitors (especially with optional overclock modes) cut back on various settings to save bandwidth at high refresh rates, and that can make these issues worse.
These issues are extremely prevalent on VA panel displays, and samsungs overclocked VA panels have a *LOT* of issues with motion smearing - I have a thread on this with an LG display and a colour profile i used to help reduce the effect (and one of the displays it helped was a samsung monitor)

HDMI runs 59.97Hz while displayport runs 60Hz, sometimes changing between those can eliminate or introduce these problems - that's where fullscreen video and Gsync/Freesync are meant to help.

Reinstalling your driver probably set you back to 60Hz and fixed the issue, and it'll be back to moment you go back to the higher setting.

ultra35

That's a Vsync issue

Video files in VLC are rendered at your desktop refresh rate, so when they don't match you get artifacting.
Horizontal panning is always the worst for this, and why blu ray players lock to 24Hz.

Some monitors (especially with optional overclock modes) cut back on various settings to save bandwidth at high refresh rates, and that can make these issues worse.
These issues are extremely prevalent on VA panel displays, and samsungs overclocked VA panels have a *LOT* of issues with motion smearing - I have a thread on this with an LG display and a colour profile i used to help reduce the effect (and one of the displays it helped was a samsung monitor)

HDMI runs 59.97Hz while displayport runs 60Hz, sometimes changing between those can eliminate or introduce these problems - that's where fullscreen video and Gsync/Freesync are meant to help.

Reinstalling your driver probably set you back to 60Hz and fixed the issue, and it'll be back to moment you go back to the higher setting.
Thanks for that information.. i just took out the 3060 and put in an old Radeon HD 5450.. Now its only my TV on that card and i still have the same issue on 1920x1080 with 60fps via hdmi.. so its really not my card..

With my 3060 i tried 4k with 60 fps via hdmi and on my tv and 1920x1080 with 60fps via displayport on my monitor.. i always have these issues that have been coming out of nowhere..

I never had these problems before september and since it began it got worse and worse..i think i aready tried 59.97Hz but i will try again..

do you still have any other ideas?

how do i set that color profile for samsung tv that worked?

Edit 1: After another Restart with the old Radeon on 60fps and 59,94 fps the video now plays with lags like like low fps and flickering but without these artefacts. i will change it back to 3060 now and maybe reinstall windows 10.. hoping its just a system thing

Solution to me:
Edit 2: After reinstalling the 3060 i only put in my monitor via displayport and started the pc and voila.. it was fixed.. then i put in the Hdmi cable and changed to TV.. still fixed.. then i updated back to the newest driver.. still fixed.

Before, i just disconnected my Apple monitor (not main monitor) that was connected via an Adapter (that i thought was the issue source in the beginning) to displayport and only shut down the TV that was connected via HDMI but the displayport Monitor (my main monitor) still had the issue..

So one time starting the PC only with 1 monitor (main) via displayport fixed the issue to me in anyway..even after plugging the tv back in. Hope it wont come back. Then ill keep u updated.

Edit 3: Some hours later not a single glitch, lines, flickering, these black checkerd squares. i had all of it.. more than just the example videos, but they were hard to get filmed because they came unregularly.

Maybe that can help u too, whatever the reason is/was.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Now its only my TV on that card and i still have the same issue on 1920x1080 with 60fps via hdmi.. so its really not my card..
You haven't said what you're watching.
Watch 60FPS youtube videos and it shouldn't be there, at 60Hz

When you changed cards/drivers, you've likely changed refresh rates and possibly colour profiles.
Any custom changes you made in the control panels was removed, any one of those could have been the cause of your issues.

Nvidia should be RGB 8 bit - any higher breaks MPO, AMD may be the same and they like to default to 12 bit on HDMI
1697333331929.png

ultra35

yes. i did tell what i'm watching.. the yt video i have shown before.. and i tested different hz and resolutions, different monitors and even a different graphic card.. i completely deinstalled all graphic drivers and nvida software (with all profile settings).. i even used anothother software to really delete everything (DDU Display driver uninstaller). i started windows in safe mode.. every szenario did have this issue even in windows safe mode..

Now after starting pc with only displayport everything is running smooth again. Even after additionally plugging in the TV via hdmi and many hours and many restarts the system is running.

Edit 1: Now out of nowhere, i have back my old (older than the artefact issue) issue... Streams on twitch and the example video of yt are laggy and stuttering, the yt video is flickering a little.. But no artefacts and strange lines..

Edit 2: Now im having back the whole package like in my video with artefacts in the beginning.. Starting PC in different variations with monitors did not bring success.

So what does it tell me? It can be gone complety, it can come in different strenghts like video stuttering / little flickering; strong stuttering / strong flickerings and like extreme stuttering / extreme flickering with artefacts ..

and once i'm the last stadium it doest go away until one random thing (like put out the gpu and put it back in, what does not work frequently) changes it to be working again and can then slowly come back again..

Is it more like a system thing? or defect GPU?

can the gpu work perfectly fine for some time, if its defect? or is it for sure something else then?

Last edited:

Pap3rEmperor_

yes. i did tell what i'm watching.. the yt video i have shown before.. and i tested different hz and resolutions, different monitors and even a different graphic card.. i completely deinstalled all graphic drivers and nvida software (with all profile settings).. i even used anothother software to really delete everything (DDU Display driver uninstaller). i started windows in safe mode.. every szenario did have this issue even in windows safe mode..

Now after starting pc with only displayport everything is running smooth again. Even after additionally plugging in the TV via hdmi and many hours and many restarts the system is running.

Edit: Now out of nowhere, i have back my old (older than the artefact issue) issue... Streams on twitch and the example video of yt are laggy and stuttering, the yt video is flickering a little.. But no artefacts and strange lines..
Haben sie ein OS reinstall gemacht? Oder, ist Google Chrome auf "Hardware Acceleration Enabled"?

ultra35

I didnt do a OS reinstall. The issue comes in both modes, enabled or not, but its less when it its enabled. Pls watch my Edit 2. its comletely back now.

System Name DELL 3630
Processor I7 8700K
Memory 32 gig
Video Card(s) 4070
I get the same thing when browsing. Turning off HAGS in Windows or Edge does nothing nor does using default clocks. Drivers don't make a difference either. I'm assuming it's Edge being buggy. It doesn't happen when gaming.

RosscoEZ

Hi guys, i have been noticing this issue while watching youtube videos. only seemed to start happening maybe 1-2 weeks ago for me. 5600x 3060ti 165hz monitor running windows 11. i had a amd gpu a month ago and never had this problem.

Hello everyone,

I'm on RTX 4070, 5950x, w11, 2K 144hz with g-sync compatible enabled. I've been getting this chromium based app artifacts since day one of the brand new RTX 4070 swap(asus dual, no OC or undervolt, all at stock). I've been updating the driver with the latest version with no change at all between the newer versions.
As far as browsers are concerned, switching to angle opengl reduces occurrence big time, at least in my case.
Disabling Hardware Acceleration is not even a workaround as far as I'm concerned as this just reduces performance.

What I found is that if I switch the GPU power state to "Prefer maximum performance" from the nvidia control panel, the problem goes away entirely. No more glitches in browsers. No more disabling any app features.

The issue seems to be directly linked to the way nvidia handles the low power state of the GPU.
As a drawback, the switch to "prefer maximum performance" increases power usage a lot at desktop. Power goes from ~10W at desktop to ~40W, with GPU core and memory locked at very high values all the time. This is with only one 2K display at 144HZ

I wonder if this works for everyone or only in my case.

1697710790675.png

1697710830634.png