• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Youtube, Discord, Visual Studio Code are flickering with black checkered squares/vertical lines. Partial solutions to this issue.

I really hope Microsoft pushes this fix very soon as a quality update for all build versions in the GA channel, as the issue is indeed getting worse.

ru1ns

Has anyone ever encountered a situation like this in RDR 2? I noticed while playing today, when playing in DX12, sometimes in "missions", the sky is -not actually the full sky, but the distant points- turn black momentarily, just like in Google Chrome or Edge. When I play in Vulkan it doesn't seem to be an issue, but when I play in Vulkan I get different bugs.

I'm using the last updated version of Windows 11 Pro 22H2 (KB5033375 - released on December 12, 2023) and I use OpenGL as the Graphics ANGLE in browsers, but until this latest update the bug was persisting in Microsoft Edge. This seems to be fixed with this update. In fact, I didn't notice anything when I changed it to Default. The GPU I use is PNY RTX 4070 Ti.

mark152

Hi guys, I'm writing again to give a quick feedback on the last week. I reset the power plan settings to high performance with the basic settings (turn off display: 15 minutes, put the computer to sleep: never. Leaving the basic settings is important).
Furthermore, as already recommended by rezdo in the nvidia control panel I set the power management mode setting to "prefer maximum performance". It is possible to set it both on a general level and for specific applications. If you use edge browser you should select Microsoft Edge Beta.
It's really weird, but when these two options are activated at the same time the flickering problem disappears completely! In a week it didn't show up even once. I tested it with Edge Browser and shows from Amazon Prime and Netflix (Full Screen, HD and 4K, with subtitles activated). I can't actually explain why it worked, the only changes on my computer compared to last week are the cumulative windows update (KB5033375) and the new nvidia driver (546.29), but in the patch notes of both the black artifact/flickering bug is not even mentioned , so I doubt this is the reason why it worked.

That's all guys, I hope these tips can help someone to solve the problem!
It's sad that it's up to the users to rack their brains to find the solution and not the direct culprits of all this mess, namely Microsoft and Nvidia, but that's how it is... Let's hope a patch arrives soon that definitively solves the problem. Please let me know if this solution works for you and sorry for the long post ;)

Attachments

• settings-1.png
    settings-1.png
    38.1 KB · Views: 498
  • settings-2.png
    settings-2.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 519
  • settings-3.png
    settings-3.png
    29 KB · Views: 505
  • settings-4.png
    settings-4.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 523
Was the fix back ported for normal non insider Windows 11 or through last Nvidia driver? I dont see the issue anymore I think too, but I am not on insider. Windows 11 23h2 22631.2861, Nvidia driver 546.33

Was the fix back ported for normal non insider Windows 11 or through last Nvidia driver? I dont see the issue anymore I think too, but I am not on insider. Windows 11 23h2 22631.2861, Nvidia driver 546.33
Impossible, it's not a driver issue but a Windows issue and Microsoft stated no such quality updates would be enrolled in December for the GA channel. So we'll just have to wait to see the fix arrive somewhere in 2024. I have exactly the same scenario and I can still notice the checkerboard stuff if I don't launch Google chrome.exe with the --disable-features=DCompPresenter --disable-direct-composition-video-overlays switches.

Has anyone ever encountered a situation like this in RDR 2? I noticed while playing today, when playing in DX12, sometimes in "missions", the sky is -not actually the full sky, but the distant points- turn black momentarily, just like in Google Chrome or Edge. When I play in Vulkan it doesn't seem to be an issue, but when I play in Vulkan I get different bugs.

Has nothing to do with the issue in this thread, so make one for yours.

2DaRescue

Just wanna drop a big thanks to Ksusha and the rest of the people here, i am very thankful for the findings as the random artifacting on Edge browser are getting annoying from time to time.

My side of the story:

Probably using 523.xx Nvidia driver release before upgrading to the recent 546.33 on RTX 4070 with DDU ran in between (initial plan was to only upgrade for The Finals game integration from the latest driver), no artifacting actually found with any of the available default power options previously (power saver, balance, high performance).

Although during my driver update, i can see from my windows update history page, an update was also pushed a day before (KB5033372, read the changelog, not sure what's corelates them both though), so I can't determine which one is causing the issue. This only happened recently as months prior before i had not seen any artifacting present on my YouTube and other social medias browsing.

I have no say on what causes the big gap on timeline with my PC with others here that encountered them earlier since March 2023, but on my side it has only started with 546.33 and the latest windows update installed on my PC after (14th Dec for WU, 15th Dec for Nvidia driver) from what I can see.

From the pattern observed from my personal testing, it does have something to do with power options profile, balance & power saver are the 2 culprits to trigger them more frequent on Edge (well generally, on my i3 10100f anything that is set to 51% and below for minimum processing state %, it goes away at 52%). Although after reading through this thread, i am going with chromium edge flags option on 'choose ANGLE graphic backend' set to DXD9 as this is by far the most efficient solution to me on how I utilize my PC at the moment (just simple browsing & video streaming), so I preferred to have it on eco mode to lower down the electricity consumption-to-cost, as additional POV.

Had not done any testing on any other chromium-based app as listed in the thread for the same issue.

I am with the others, a fix needed to be addressed by Microsoft/Nvidia(?) specifically on DX11-to-Power-to-Chromium-Source-Coding assessing its behavioural (if that's what actually you coders call it my apology if i am making up things xd )

Thanks again everyone, advance happy holidays & happy new year 2024!

raze_md

Read most of this topic ,i have an rtx 4070 ti that has been , well don't know how to put it correctly been "loving" my brains for about 2 months. I did a video but realised its sideways so i'l make another post .
Now my problem-same as yours artifacting during low power state, browser chrome mainly , and its not ocuring to often but its anoyng .
BUT hear me out download OCCT personal 12.1.14 (is the verision that i have curently installed), download hw monitor and check when your gpu is at lowest power state for me its 210 mhz on the gpu clock, now open up OCCT press on monitoring and hover over the clickable buttons fast, observe what u see . For me it breaks it into pieces on your cursor point in geometrical shapes showing what is behind the program i.e. wallpaper.
Everything goes away if i put my power state to prefer maximum performance in nvidia control panel.
I have 2 other bugs now but im realy not sure its the gpu . So in 2 games, Hogwarts legacy after playing for like an hour i get texture flickers some object/scenery dissapear and reapear. And cod mw 2 multiplayer only on one map (triyed to google and find the name but could not , its the one with a lot of cars in midle) same stuff happens a bordure and some walls start to apear dissapear out of existence, this however apears in a mater of about 10 minutes .
Anyways long story short, can anyone with 3000 or 4000 rtx confirm the occt bug pls?
P.S. I will phone a video of my screen and post my pc specs to show u guys what im dealing with . Once i'l figure how to post it here.

I have 2 other bugs now but im realy not sure its the gpu . So in 2 games, Hogwarts legacy after playing for like an hour i get texture flickers some object/scenery dissapear and reapear. And cod mw 2 multiplayer only on one map (triyed to google and find the name but could not , its the one with a lot of cars in midle) same stuff happens a bordure and some walls start to apear dissapear out of existence, this however apears in a mater of about 10 minutes .

This cursor issue goes a long way back, if you replace the stock 8bit color cursors with 32bit colour it resolves the problem.

ru1ns

Has nothing to do with the issue in this thread, so make one for yours.
Yeah, I guess so. I haven't found a solution right now. It doesn't bother me much, sometimes there is a black flicker. Maybe it's the CPU (3600X) or the monitor (1080p 165hz). I think it will be fixed with a new CPU, RAM and Monitor.

Symposium

Made an account just for this.
Facing the same problem with RTX 4070.

On Windows 10 the flickering looked like a randomly shaped black smudge.
I did a fresh install of Windows 11, updated everything. The flickering is still here but now I see the checkboard pattern everyone is talking about.
Happens both in Chrome and Firefox.

This is making my PC almost unusable in certain situations. Do I understand correctly that we can expect a fix in the next Windows update?

mark152

Made an account just for this.
Facing the same problem with RTX 4070.

On Windows 10 the flickering looked like a randomly shaped black smudge.
I did a fresh install of Windows 11, updated everything. The flickering is still here but now I see the checkboard pattern everyone is talking about.
Happens both in Chrome and Firefox.

This is making my PC almost unusable in certain situations. Do I understand correctly that we can expect a fix in the next Windows update?
We are all waiting for it and actually it should be released soon or later, but where did you read that it would come with the next update?
In the meantime you can try to set "prefer maximum performance" in the power management mode in the nvidia control panel and at the same time select high performance in the windows energy plans screen. This fixed all the black patterns problems for me (i have nvidia 3060).

New Windows Update KB5034204 was released and I see dwm.exe is updated, but still nothing in the release notes related to this checkerboard/Chromium issue ...

According to Manuel, the fix for Windows 11 ready with version 26002 and newer, at the moment it is in the Canary build. As for Windows 10, the fix has already been made before (I highly doubt it).

I have my own method for quickly checking these artifacts, but unfortunately I will not be able to reinstall Windows on the Canary build, I need a stable build for my work, so as soon as version 26002 will roll out to the stable build, I will immediately do check and tell about the result.

Is the issue connected to the cursor glitches? The cursor going in random directions, using left and right click, accompanied with beeps coming from audio device. After a few seconds it stops and the you can use the mouse, but cannot click (mostly left click, sometimes both). The cursor locks out after exiting Vulkan/DX11 game (borderless or fullscreen). The mouse clicks stop working if dwm.exe got restarted (process killed and started again).

Is the issue connected to the cursor glitches? The cursor going in random directions, using left and right click, accompanied with beeps coming from audio device. After a few seconds it stops and the you can use the mouse, but cannot click (mostly left click, sometimes both). The cursor locks out after exiting Vulkan/DX11 game (borderless or fullscreen). The mouse clicks stop working if dwm.exe got restarted (process killed and started again).
No, sounds like a completely different issue.

i have this checkerboard problem too but sometimes my pc completely freezes and i can't do anything other than force shutdown. no crash dumps or anything no bsod nothing. just completely freeze the screen is still there but i cant move mouse or do anything. i've only had this freezing problem occur when using chrome browser. anyone else have a similar issue? i got 4070 and 14th gen i7

mark152

i have this checkerboard problem too but sometimes my pc completely freezes and i can't do anything other than force shutdown. no crash dumps or anything no bsod nothing. just completely freeze the screen is still there but i cant move mouse or do anything. i've only had this freezing problem occur when using chrome browser. anyone else have a similar issue? i got 4070 and 14th gen i7
I had checkboard patterns, flickering black screen and sometimes black screen for few seconds but no freeze if i remeber correctly.
Anyway, have you tried to set nvidia and windows settings to prefer max performances? Maybe it solves that problem too.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790I Edge WiFi Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 240mm
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Philips Evnia 49M2C8900
Case LANCOOL 205M MESH Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 1000W
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
I had checkboard patterns, flickering black screen and sometimes black screen for few seconds but no freeze if i remeber correctly.
Anyway, have you tried to set nvidia and windows settings to prefer max performances? Maybe it solves that problem too.
I have and it didnt took out my 4090 and put my a770 in and the problem disappears.

Today this problem suddenly got worse. Had Chrome (with the temp fix mentioned earlier here), Visual Studio Code, Slack, Discord, Whatsapp and PowerShell ISE opened all together, and suddenly my display had massive attacks of black squares aka these devilish checkerboard patterns.

It happened right after connecting my headphones, ofc most likely total coincidence, as I really don't see the (cor)relation. After I switched my DAC from optical output to the classical analogue audio jack. The issue also disappeared within the same minute. But still, this should have been fixed at least 1.5 years ago.

Nvidia RTX 3090 with latest (non-hotfix) driver 551.23

Last edited:
Today this problem suddenly got worse. Had Chrome (with the temp fix mentioned earlier here), Visual Studio Code, Slack, Discord, Whatsapp and PowerShell ISE opened all together, and suddenly my display had massive attacks of black squares aka these devilish checkerboard patterns.

It happened right after connecting my headphones, ofc most likely total coincidence, as I really don't see the (cor)relation. After I switched my DAC from optical output to the classical analogue audio jack. The issue also disappeared within the same minute. But still, this should have been fixed at least 1.5 years ago.

Nvidia RTX 3090 with latest (non-hotfix) driver 551.23
Got worse for me too,
Windows 11 , RTX 4070, same 551.23 driver

Heard about the supposed 551.46 hotfix driver, not yet released. Going to try that and see if it's fixed :(

1707451577878.png

1707451757691.png