• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Youtuber cracks BitLocker encryption in minutes with Raspberry Pi Pico

Hey just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's no one out there (looking?) for you!
x files GIF by The X-Files

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Let's be honest here, once wrong-doers gain physical access, your data is screwed anyway. These things aren't meant to be a one-stop-shop solution, proper defenses are always layered.

Lauri

Let's be honest here, once wrong-doers gain physical access, your data is screwed anyway. These things aren't meant to be a one-stop-shop solution, proper defenses are always layered.
The whole point of Bitlocker is to protect your data if your computer is stolen. It's a big issue for large corporations, journalists and security professionals. This might not matter to normal people but that executive traveling by airplane to do business on an other continent might have data worth millions in his laptop. The amount of computers that get lost or stolen at airports alone is staggering.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
The whole point of Bitlocker is to protect your data if your computer is stolen. It's a big issue for large corporations, journalists and security professionals. This might not matter to normal people but that executive traveling by airplane to do business on an other continent might have data worth millions in his laptop. The amount of computers that get lost or stolen at airports alone is staggering.
That's what Microsoft says, yes. But any security engineer will tell you if your laptop is stolen, your data is compromised. Maybe not right away, maybe you have a chance to erase it remotely change your passwords (no brainer, this one doesn't take long). But give it a few months, someone will get to it. Idk how OPAL encryption works, that may provide better security...

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
So I knew this would make it here

Only works because:

- physical access
- TPM is a separate chip
- board literally had contact pads for the traces

Newer CPUs by AMD and Intel (read the past few years) have on die TPM so this won’t work.

no it’s not a flaw communication between CPU and other ICs is not encrypted on pretty much all things. That’s why you could lift the encryption keys from the Xbox using a buss pirate.

this isn’t a bitlocker crack. He literally lifted the keys, he did not break the encryption.
Yep, anything that needs an already compromised state I just ignore now days, its overhyping silly things.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Yep, anything that needs an already compromised state I just ignore now days, its overhyping silly things.
To you maybe. But think just how many conspiracy theories you can build on top of that ;)

Bitlocker is a solution to protect against a casual thief who steals your laptop on the street, if you have something you really want to protect - and important enough for anyone to seriously want it or you seriously not wanting anyone to have it - you look elsewhere.
Tinfoil or not, Bitlocker is allowed, even encouraged, in countries which vilify or actively want to ban encryption, like the UK. This alone puts it on the "absolutely not trustworthy" list as far as I'm concerned.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Does anyone want to argue that microsoft is not incompetent and incapable of providing true security? The microsoft method is NOT TRUSTWORTHY people! Stop trusting them and start doing your own thing!
Bitlocker is allowed, even encouraged, in countries which vilify or actively want to ban encryption, like the UK. This alone puts it on the "absolutely not trustworthy"

look elsewhere

This is little more than pure, biased, anti-Microsoft, "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!" FUD! And yes, it is time to invest in tin futures again.

There is NO SUCH THING as "true security". Yet people demand it from Microsoft and then when they can't deliver, they are vehemently chastised for failing to do the impossible. :kookoo:

To suggest something is "incompetent", "incapable" and "absolutely not trustworthy" implies and insinuate it is useless, perhaps even harmful and to be avoided - therefore, users should "look elsewhere" and "do your own thing". NONSENSE!!!! Worse is when such suggestions are accompanied with ignorance about the facts. :(

Do locks on your front door ensure your door is impenetrable? Do you "trust" those locks will stop a "determined" bad guy from breaking in? No and no! So do you avoid locking them? Of course not.

Is Wells Fargo competent and capable of protecting my money? Yes. Do I "trust" them? Absolutely not!!!!! There are ~2000 bank robberies every year - not to mention there are greedy bank leaders constantly plotting on ways to cheat us out of our money.

Is the data of users of BitLocker being compromised right and left as these biased MS bashers want everyone to believe? NO!!!! How do we know? Easy. CNET, ZDNet, AnandTech, Bleeping Computer would be all over it, constantly reporting real examples of "real world" (not contrived, simulations) compromises if BitLocker was "incompetent", "incapable" and "absolutely not trustworthy" as some here want everyone to believe. Where are those reports? There should be millions compromises if this were true.

What is the purpose of BitLocker? BitLocker is a security feature that encrypts "drives" (as in our "LOCAL" storage media) to "help" mitigate threats of data theft due to lost, stolen, or incorrectly secured (wiped/destroyed), no longer used/discarded storage devices.

Where is the corroborating evidence BitLocker is not doing this? Claims of vast experience is all anyone needs for substantiating evidence is NOT proof of anything (except, perhaps, see post #23).

Notice I said "LOCAL". Why does that matter? Because the UK does NOT want to ban encryption as being claimed above. That too is total tin-foil hat wearing, nonsense! What's been proposed in the UK is a ban the use of "end to end" encryption in point-to-point online messaging apps. The proposal is to deny terrorist, human traffickers, and other criminal elements a safe and secure communications network. That is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from local drive, data encryption.

BitLocker is just another layer of protection, along with strong passwords, keeping our computers and anti-malware solutions current, avoid being "click-happy" on unsolicited links, firewall, router, etc., and of course, good physical security as well. NO ONE, and especially NOT MICROSOFT, is suggesting BitLocker is the panacea for data protection. So it is just pure, tin-foil hat wearing FUD to suggest or imply Microsoft's intent for BitLocker is to be that.

Now before the personal attacks begin, have I said anywhere to trust Microsoft? Nope. I trust them as much as I trust my bank will work with MY best interests in mind. I trust Microsoft as much as I trust our elected "representatives" (cough cough choke choke) to put my country over their own self-interests. I trust Microsoft to protect me as much as I trust The Louvre to protect The Mona Lisa from all possible attacks.

Physical access isn't a limitation, it's the entire scope here.
Huh? Of course its a limitation - it's a HUGE limitation! Do you not see the difference between a computer sitting out-of-sight in a locked room versus a computer sitting, unattended, in-plain-sight, on a table in Starbucks?

Of course you can. So clearly, physical access is a limitation. And yet, a bad guy could still break into that locked room and steal the computer. So the vulnerability ("entire scope") is still there, as you noted, regardless. However, it is a matter of exposure - that is, how likely is it the computer locked up, out-of-sight will be stolen compared to the one left unattended, out in-the-open, in a public place?

So again, clearly, physical access, or rather, the lack of it, is a HUGE limitation.

MAKE NO MISTAKE - the "user" is, always has been, and always will be the weakest link in security. And who is in charge of physical security? The user.

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
Physical security is half the reason a SCIF is a thing.

And yes, we run Microsoft on our secure networked computers.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
Huh? Of course its a limitation - it's a HUGE limitation! Do you not see the difference between a computer sitting out-of-sight in a locked room versus a computer sitting, unattended, in-plain-sight, on a table in Starbucks?

Of course you can. So clearly, physical access is a limitation. And yet, a bad guy could still break into that locked room and steal the computer. So the vulnerability ("entire scope") is still there, as you noted, regardless. However, it is a matter of exposure - that is, how likely is it the computer locked up, out-of-sight will be stolen compared to the one left unattended, out in-the-open, in a public place?

So again, clearly, physical access, or rather, the lack of it, is a HUGE limitation.

MAKE NO MISTAKE - the "user" is, always has been, and always will be the weakest link in security. And who is in charge of physical security? The user.
The operative word is "here."

If the topic at hand was information security in general, then sure, physical access is one giant wall to get past. The topic, however, is about a specific tool that addresses a specific scenario. Discussion about effectiveness (and failings) of said tool are only applicable with said scenario as a given. We wouldn't call the rarity of fires a limiting factor when our sprinklers fail with the first spark now, would we?

Humans are idiots, no objection there. But this is no excuse for flawed tools.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The operative word is "here."
Huh? And no where in my comment that you quoted did I use the word "here".

I feel like you are arguing just to argue.

If the topic at hand was information security in general, then sure, physical access is one giant wall to get past.
Yes. A giant wall! A wall just before said was NOT a limitation.

The operative word that IS in your comment is "IF" - but that's not even relevant. Physical security is ALWAYS a part of "information security in general." There is no if this or if that. It is always there. If you don't believe and accept that "availability" which includes, but it not limited to, physical access is an integral part of "information security", then you have failed to understand "security in general."
The topic, however, is about a specific tool that addresses a specific scenario.
Yeah! The protection of data on a "physical" device being accessed by "physically" having access to that device.

System Name DevKit
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 ↗4.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus WiFi
Cooling Koolance CPU-300-H06, Koolance GPU-180-L06, SC800 Pump
Memory 4x16GB Ballistix 3200MT/s ↗3600
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 580 Red Devil 8GB ↗1380MHz ↘1105mV, PowerColor RX 7900 XT Hellhound 20GB
Storage 240GB Corsair MP510, 120GB KingDian S280
Display(s) Nixeus VUE-24 (1080p144)
Case Koolance PC2-601BLW + Koolance EHX1020CUV Radiator Kit
Audio Device(s) Oculus CV-1
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts EA-750 Semi-Modular
Mouse Easterntimes Tech X-08, Zelotes C-12
Keyboard Logitech 106-key, Romoral 15-Key Macro, Royal Kludge RK84
VR HMD Oculus CV-1
Software Windows 10 Pro Workstation, VMware Workstation 16 Pro, MS SQL Server 2016, Fan Control v120, Blender
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15: 1590cb Cinebench R20: 3530cb (7.83x451cb) CPU-Z 17.01.64: 481.2/3896.8 VRMark: 8009
Can't wait for Cybermedicine Security to go kerchunk because everything gets bitlock'd over some nonchalant driveby update and someone watching this thinks that cracking bitlocker is as easy as having physical access to the original machine.

I always say the snifferer is smart but in this case it appears to be genuinely smarter than the people writing these dumb articles.

Keep your keys safe.

Keep your snifferers safe.

Try not to get wrapped up in some one-way feature disaster that nobody actually seems to understand.

It's primarily driven by personality defects, namely the narcissistic belief that they're somehow important enough for Microsoft to want to spy on them.
As opposed to some who are clearly compensating for blatantly obvious shortcomings...

Through the network - then you can do it from the other side of the world. Piece of cake, right?
Right?
I mean corporate networks seem to be breached every day.
Exactly.
Now before the personal attacks begin
Not going to get personal. You have your perspectives and they are based on your experiences.
have I said anywhere to trust Microsoft? Nope.
Well that's good.
I trust them as much as I trust my bank will work with MY best interests in mind.
That seems a bit much. A financial institution has legal and ethical obligations to protect your money and interests. No such obligations exist for microsoft. They KNOW this as is clearly demonstrated by the wording of their pathetically one-sided EULA documents.
I trust Microsoft as much as I trust our elected "representatives" (cough cough choke choke) to put my country over their own self-interests.
Couldn't agree more on this point. Common translation is: Very little trust given.
I trust Microsoft to protect me as much as I trust The Louvre to protect The Mona Lisa from all possible attacks.
May we presume you have little faith in the Louvre?

I trust microsoft to watch out for their own interests, which sometimes overlaps ours, but most of the time does not. Like law-enforcement(as ANY well qualified attorney will tell you), microsoft is not our friends. They can only be trusted in ways and areas where they show, through action, that they can be trusted. Beyond that, they are worthy of none!

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
That seems a bit much. A financial institution has legal and ethical obligations to protect your money and interests. No such obligations exist for microsoft.
That's not entirely true. While not as tightly regulated as financial institutions, Microsoft is a publicly owned and traded corporation and therefore, is indeed heavily regulated. They are not necessarily required to work in the best interests of their customers, but they are with their shareholders and are held accountable to the SEC and other state and federal statutes.

All that is beside the point.

The problem is some people so often on this site, and as illustrated in this thread, are incapable of separating their biases and hate for Microsoft from the products they provide.

Just to illustrate, starting with your first post in this thread, and each one since is riddled with Microsoft bashings and little if any technical commentary about BitLocker itself. Others joined in with absolute nonsensical misinformation. :(

"Physical access" IS a HUGE limitation. BitLocker is NOT an "end-to-end" messaging encryption tool! :(

BitLocker is not 100% perfect 100% of the time, therefore Microsoft is "incompetent", "incapable" and "absolutely not trustworthy". :kookoo: Name 1 company that does provide "true security". Name a security company that provides "true security". Where are attacks on them?

Come on!!!

BitLocker is designed (with TPM) to protect the data on LOCAL storage devices. So I ask again - where's the evidence "BitLocker" is failing to protect the data on the LOCAL storage devices of its users?

I despise my cable company. They are just as monopolistic, if not more so than Microsoft. They charge me more for my cable TV and Internet service each month than my power, water, sewer, trash and gas companies combined! If I want to watch BBC America, I must pay for some extra package that contains 25 channels I never watch. HOWEVER, I get great Internet speeds and my TV service is incredibly stable with HD and full range surround sound. I still hate the company.

See the difference?

May we presume you have little faith in the Louvre?
I have more than a little - but not a whole lot more considering it has been attacked at least 6 times in my lifetime (that we know of), including less than 2 years ago and again as recently as 2 weeks ago. Yes, this last time it remained unharmed behind bullet proof glass but the offenders were still able to get close enough to climb under the barriers, yell and scream and dance around in front of the painting, then throw pumpkin soup on the glass before security finally decided to step in. :(

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11
If this is a serious concern I'd advise using a disk encryption solution that does not involve the TPM. I can vouch for VeraCrypt.

That's not entirely true. While not as tightly regulated as financial institutions, Microsoft is a publicly owned and traded corporation and therefore, is indeed heavily regulated. They are not necessarily required to work in the best interests of their customers, but they are with their shareholders and are held accountable to the SEC and other state and federal statutes.

All that is beside the point.

The problem is some people so often on this site, and as illustrated in this thread, are incapable of separating their biases and hate for Microsoft from the products they provide.

Just to illustrate, starting with your first post in this thread, and each one since is riddled with Microsoft bashings and little if any technical commentary about BitLocker itself. Others joined in with absolute nonsensical misinformation. :(

"Physical access" IS a HUGE limitation. BitLocker is NOT an "end-to-end" messaging encryption tool! :(

BitLocker is not 100% perfect 100% of the time, therefore Microsoft is "incompetent", "incapable" and "absolutely not trustworthy". :kookoo: Name 1 company that does provide "true security". Name a security company that provides "true security". Where are attacks on them?

Come on!!!

BitLocker is designed (with TPM) to protect the data on LOCAL storage devices. So I ask again - where's the evidence "BitLocker" is failing to protect the data on the LOCAL storage devices of its users?

I despise my cable company. They are just as monopolistic, if not more so than Microsoft. They charge me more for my cable TV and Internet service each month than my power, water, sewer, trash and gas companies combined! If I want to watch BBC America, I must pay for some extra package that contains 25 channels I never watch. HOWEVER, I get great Internet speeds and my TV service is incredibly stable with HD and full range surround sound. I still hate the company.

See the difference?

I have more than a little - but not a whole lot more considering it has been attacked at least 6 times in my lifetime (that we know of), including less than 2 years ago and again as recently as 2 weeks ago. Yes, this last time it remained unharmed behind bullet proof glass but the offenders were still able to get close enough to climb under the barriers, yell and scream and dance around in front of the painting, then throw pumpkin soup on the glass before security finally decided to step in. :(
To be fair, you've made some good points. However, I'm not willing to offer counter-points on this one, for a very good reason. So I'll take this opportunity to gracefully bow out.

If this is a serious concern I'd advise using a disk encryption solution that does not involve the TPM. I can vouch for VeraCrypt.
Veracrypt is a very good disk encryption solution. It has yet to be cracked when setup up properly. There is only one better and it's anything but free! I will completely agree with @R-T-B 's statement.

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
For sure, one (one and a half?) issue with BitLocker is it is not available with Windows 10 "Home" and only partially functional with Windows 11 "Home". I don't understand Microsoft's decision for this. But I can guess/assume.

I have heard some argue that, because Home users tend to be less technically savvy (by choice or not) than Pro users (NOT a criticism, just an observation) that Microsoft does not want to deal with warranty support (with "Retail" licenses) with those less savvy people - either due to the added expense, or with the hassles involved trying talk the less savvy through complex technical procedures.

Similar to that, I have heard the big computer makers (Dell, HP, Acer, Lenovo, etc.), those who install "OEM/System Builder" licenses and who, therefore, are responsible for Windows tech support for the 1 year warranty period, didn't want to deal with the expense and hassle dealing with less savvy users. And so they pressured Microsoft to leave it out of Home.

Others argue it is simply because Microsoft wants users to spend more money on the higher priced and more profitable "Pro" version.

Any way you look at it, it boils down to $$$ and profits (yes, corporate greed) and so I have no doubt and will assume that is a large part, if not the whole reason the Home versions don't support it fully.

I personally have never tried VeraCrypt with the Home versions of W10/11, but I know others who have and say it works perfectly. I have used it with W10 Pro and yes, it works great there too.

DISCLAIMER: I say it works great but I have NOT done a side-by-side, blind test comparison to see if encryption affects performance. All I can say is I've only used VeraCrypt (or BitLocker) with SSDs and have not noticed any performance issues - or problems with corruption.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
Any way you look at it, it boils down to $$$ and profits (yes, corporate greed) and so I have no doubt and will assume that is a large part, if not the whole reason the Home versions don't support it fully.
I would just like to note that, while by and large agreeing with you, this point being brought up (not only by you) is always amusing to me. Corporate greed. Yes. Aren’t publicly traded corporations literally obligated to maximize profits for their shareholders if they are able? And failure to do so, if proven, can lead to litigation? Like, that’s Capitalism 101 here, whether we like it or not said corporate greed is a cornerstone of society that exists in modern world. Complaints that corporations are greedy are akin to complaining that mosquitoes bite or raccoons dig through trash. Like… yeah, that’s their whole raison d’etre. For better or worse.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Aren’t publicly traded corporations literally obligated to maximize profits for their shareholders if they are able? And failure to do so, if proven, can lead to litigation?
Yes and no.

Yes, they are (more or less) obligated to maximize profits. But no, they are not subject to litigation (assuming no actual crimes have been committed). But for sure, if shareholders are not making money on their investments, those C-Level executives will be voted out and looking for new jobs real soon.

What I don't like about how this work is "The City" in the UK or Wall Street the US expect company profits to increase year after year, or else they deem the company is failing. Forget the fact they are still profitable - they must "grow" year after year.

And I believe that frequently leads companies to cut corners in the production of their products by using cheaper parts and less robust and reliable production techniques. Consequently, the life expectancy of many products has gone down in recent years compared to those made 20 years ago. :(

But all this is for a different discussion/thread.

System Name Never trust a socket with less than 2000 pins
Now hold on a second. Does the Raspberry pie have to be sniffing at any time, or does it have to be sniffing when the user enters their keyphrase?

Why would the TPM send the key to the CPU at a point in time when the legitimate user didn't enter their part of the key?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
I say it works great but I have NOT done a side-by-side, blind test comparison to see if encryption affects performance.
One of the great things about Veracrypt is it's undergone a formal security audit, so really, there isn't much need for us to endorse it anymore. Pro's already did it for us.

That being said most don't need security at it's level (it uses three layers of software encryption by default, which is quite the performance penalty on something like an nvme drive). Bitlocker is fine for protecting against 99% of use cases. Bitlocker uses bog standard AES encryption IIRC, which is fine for most US government things, so it's probably fine for you.

Why would the TPM send the key to the CPU at a point in time when the legitimate user didn't enter their part of the key?
One of the ways bitlocker can be setup is not proceed with decryption if the hardware does not significantly change.

I would guess this case would be vulnerable.

(it uses three layers of software encryption by default, which is quite the performance penalty on something like an nvme drive)
I'm guessing you haven't used it then? Because what you just stated is not at all correct. The default is 256bit AES, the user has to actively select anything else when setting up an encrypted volume, whether a file, partition or full disk. Nearly every CPU from 2014 forward generally has AES hardware instructions built into the CPU, so any software using AES is very snappy and buttery smooth. Additionally, the penalty to SSDs of any kind is so minimal that it's margin of error kinds of small. The penalty to HDDs is also very small, small not to make a difference.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MT/s CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Personally I keep my my most important files on multiple external storage.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
I'm guessing you haven't used it then? Because what you just stated is not at all correct. The default is 256bit AES, the user has to actively select anything else when setting up an encrypted volume, whether a file, partition or full disk. Nearly every CPU from 2014 forward generally has AES hardware instructions built into the CPU, so any software using AES is very snappy and buttery smooth. Additionally, the penalty to SSDs of any kind is so minimal that it's margin of error kinds of small. The penalty to HDDs is also very small, small not to make a difference.
Have not used it in years no so perhaps things have changed or I just misremembered. We generally use opal solutions for no performance penalty at all here... AES256 as well but thats fine for our requirements.

Additionally, the penalty to SSDs of any kind is so minimal that it's margin of error kinds of small.
CPU overhead. But if you are indeed just using AES even on nvme peaks its not going to be too bad.