• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA GeForce GF100 Architecture

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
i'm sorry .. i didnt not mean to imply it is worth a ban [here], was just making a joke that most of the hardocp forum visitors would understand :)

Ok, just a misunderstanding, thankyou! I didn't understand the [H] reference there; it's actually quite funny and I feel a lot better now. I've just learned something today myself. :toast:

nvidia's engineers say their implementation is awesome

And I'm sure it is - they make some excellent products and I've got several of them. :D Seriously though, we're both technical guys and I'd love to know what an engineer (who frankly knows way more about this stuff than I do) from nvidia, ati, intel, doesn't matter, has to say about the design principle I explained.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
Yields, price and what you will get?

If Nv can only get 104 chips per wafer vs 160 from AMD how much will these cards cost? I'm not even speculating on what chips will be ready to use, harvested, etc. The other issue which I touched on was pre-release cards vs production cards. Something Charlie brought up (to be taken with a grain of salt but worth mentioning none the less) is will we see pre-release cards that are fully unlocked at 512 shader with production cards only offer 448 shader?

Last edited:

Benetanegia

If Nv can only get 104 chips per wafer vs 160 from AMD how much will these cards cost? I'm not even speculating on what chips will be ready to use, harvested, etc.

And with Nvidia selling 2x the numbers of cards for so many years and creating chips that were twice as big, resulting in 4x the number of wafers ordered, how much better deals does Nvidia obtain based on volumes? We don't know exactly how much this chips really cost to Nvidia so speculating on the retail price based on a simple die area basis is pointless.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
And with Nvidia selling 2x the numbers of cards for so many years and creating chips that were twice as big, resulting in 4x the number of wafers ordered, how much better deals does Nvidia obtain based on volumes? We don't know exactly how much this chips really cost to Nvidia so speculating on the retail price based on a simple die area basis is pointless.

What they did last year is not a reflection on this year's arch. This is why I asked the question. A question is by no means speculating but looking for information. If the aforementioned information is true (which is why I started with the word "If") what will the final product cost? This is the question I posted. Even if the numbers are correct or incorrect we understand that a larger die size will yield less per wafer. So that's moot to worry about that. The ultimate question is consumer cost.

Price my internet fiends, price to performance ratio is all i personally care about but that little presentation was pretty impressive.

Benetanegia

What they did last year is not a reflection on this year's arch. This is why I asked the question. A question is by no means speculating but looking for information. If the aforementioned information is true (which is why I started with the word "If") what will the final product cost? This is the question I posted.

That's what I'm saying that we don't know. We don't know how many wafers has Nvidia ordered for the entire year. They might take a risk and try to create 100 million Fermi cards by the end of the year or they could be very conservative and order 10 million in which case the price will change vastly. Not only because of volume discounts, also because in both cases they are going to aim to comparable profits (the expectations from investors)+/- 50%, they would just make less per card in the first case and that's it. IMO they are going to try something more on the lines of high volume of sales and hence the cards will retail for no more than $500 and $350 the second one, but that's just my opinion.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
That's not innovation at all. That's a trend and it's been happening since like forever.
GF100 has 1 billion more transistors (almost 1/3 more) than Cypress yet, it is very unlikely it will beat Cypress by 33% in benchmarking. That is innovation on AMD's behalf or a lack of innovation on NVIDIA's behalf.

Last edited:

pjladyfox

System Name Eternal
Processor AMD Phenom II 955
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
Cooling Corsair H50 water cooling system
Memory 8GB Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD 5870
Storage Seagate 7200.10 250GB SATA2, 7200.11 750GB SATA2, and 7200.10 500GB SATA2
Display(s) SAMSUNG 245BW 24" LCD
Case Antec Three Hundred - custom mnpctech.com
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC889 onboard sound
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software Windows 7 Home 64-bit Retail
nvidia's engineers say their implementation is awesome

Wonder if the NVIDIA engineer who said that shortly before the release of the FX series is still there? :D

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

I think this is an excellent point. Just because some wafers have imperfections doesn't mean those chips are bad either. Those are made into lesser video cards which is exactly the way Nvidia has been doing it already. Either way it will be interesting to see what these are going to be priced at. On one side you have Nvidia that is a bit late with their new GPU and perhaps they'll take a bit of a profit loss to sell them. On the other hand there are a lot of Nvidia die-hard's (I don't like fanboy) and uninformed folks who only know of Nvidia that will pay regardless. Let's see some competitive pricing, it doesn't matter the company, I always love to see one stick it in the eye of the other and the consumer coming out on top.

D

Deleted member 67555

I think this is an excellent point. Just because some wafers have imperfections doesn't mean those chips are bad either. Those are made into lesser video cards which is exactly the way Nvidia has been doing it already. Either way it will be interesting to see what these are going to be priced at. On one side you have Nvidia that is a bit late with their new GPU and perhaps they'll take a bit of a profit loss to sell them. On the other hand there are a lot of Nvidia die-hard's (I don't like fanboy) and uninformed folks who only know of Nvidia that will pay regardless. Let's see some competitive pricing, it doesn't matter the company, I always love to see one stick it in the eye of the other and the consumer coming out on top.
Yeah exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!

And for me this has been an awesome ride with ATI as Nvidia has stomped them for years Meaning I have enjoyed some great cards for the money......

The one and only REASON I stick with ATI is easily pointed out HERE
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/burnout-paradise-performance,2289-2.html

I simply SEE ATI's Color's BETTER than the USUALLY Better Nvidia Card

I know it's a personal choice... I select The Better color scheme (for me) over performance

And for years Now Nvidia has simply out performed ATI in Select Benchmarks and I (and my wallet) truly HOPE this will continue.....

EDIT: I guess this is just me saying

GO! Nvidia!!

Benetanegia

GF100 has 1 billion more transistors (almost 1/3 more) than Cypress yet, it is very unlikely it will beat Cypress by 33% in benchmarking. That is innovation on AMD's behalf or a lack of innovation on NVIDIA's behalf.

Unlikely? That's not what they are saying. I know about marketing and all, but I don't think they are lying about their internal numbers this time (a lot of people have seen those benchmarks are saying the same too), inflating them yes, lying no, as in they are saying 60-80% faster but it's actually 30-40% faster. Anyway, I'm still 95% convinced that the GF100 will be faster than 2xGTX285 and hence the HD5970.

EDIT: The reason I think they are not lying and are actually saying the truth is that lying about performance under this situation would just hurt them. They are very late and people already have their thoughts or otherwis are waiting, performance numbers are not going to change any purchase decision right now. Whoever decided to wait it will continue waiting and whoever decided to buy an HD5xxx is waiting for one to be available. Lying would just hurt them, because it would anger the ones that are waiting once released and would not buy the card+ Nvidia would make their fame even worse than it is. Nothing will help them now and that's why they have not disclosed any hard numbers.

Anyway innovation and performance-per-die have nothing to do with each other. Fermi has a lot of new features that potentially increase performance and make it a much better GPGPU, that is innovation. Cypress is just a mirrored RV770.

Last edited:

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
That's what I'm saying that we don't know. We don't know how many wafers has Nvidia ordered for the entire year. They might take a risk and try to create 100 million Fermi cards by the end of the year or they could be very conservative and order 10 million in which case the price will change vastly. Not only because of volume discounts, also because in both cases they are going to aim to comparable profits (the expectations from investors)+/- 50%, they would just make less per card in the first case and that's it. IMO they are going to try something more on the lines of high volume of sales and hence the cards will retail for no more than $500 and $350 the second one, but that's just my opinion.
And yet we come full circle as you are the one speculating after accusing me of speculating when asking a question :slap:. So in the end you really don't know yet you've argued about not knowing. My question was really geared to anyone out there they may come across some pricing information as the video card is suppose to be released in less then 2 months.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
If you read my posts again, you'll see my tone was actually perfectly pleasant and polite. If you don't agree with me assertion about the design, then fine, it really doesn't matter. I don't have to go around proving anything to anyone and they don't have to prove anything to me.

I've already said at least twice how in the real world, one can't necessarily achieve the efficiency of a power of 2 design. In the end, it's just my opinion on it and it shouldn't matter to you either if you don't agree with it.

Mister, the politeness of your tone does not suffice. Prove your assertions. If your institution taught you that, surely it would have been documented in some textbook or other form of literature. Show me that.

Currently your assertions are baseless, so do the needful.

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Unlikely? That's not what they are saying. I know about marketing and all, but I don't think they are lying about their internal numbers this time (a lot of people have seen those benchmarks are saying the same too), inflating them yes, lying no, as in they are saying 60-80% faster but it's actually 30-40% faster. Anyway, I'm still 95% convinced that the GF100 will be faster than 2xGTX285 and hence the HD5970.
The official slides some time ago showed GF100 being barely faster than the HD5970.

EDIT: The reason I think they are not lying and are actually saying the truth is that lying about performance under this situation would just hurt them. They are very late and people already have their thoughts or otherwis are waiting, performance numbers are not going to change any purchase decision right now. Whoever decided to wait it will continue waiting and whoever decided to buy an HD5xxx is waiting for one to be available. Lying would just hurt them, because it would anger the ones that are waiting once released and would not buy the card+ Nvidia would make their fame even worse than it is. Nothing will help them now and that's why they have not disclosed any hard numbers.
Sounds like what AMD was doing when they were getting spanked by Core 2 Duo/Quad. AMD kept crying "Phenom is coming," "Phenom is going to be great," and when it got here everyone except AMD was saying "Phenom is crap," "Phenom belongs in the bargin bin."

Anyway innovation and performance-per-die have nothing to do with each other. Fermi has a lot of new features that potentially increase performance and make it a much better GPGPU, that is innovation. Cypress is just a mirrored RV770.
It is not innovative to use a smaller process with more transistors to get more performance. It is innovative to streamline the processing power so better results are produced faster with few transistors.

Fermi also has one feature that completely destroys its potential as a consumer graphics card: ECC memory controllers. The GPGPU card will hit the market as a Tesla product. It will be some time before we see the consumer version without the ECC memory controllers. Doesn't that sound a lot like where Intel Larrabee is at right now?

I think there is a lesson to be learned from this: it is easier to put the GP in GPU than extrapolate the GPU out of a GPGPU card.

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
System Name Crossflow III
Processor AMD 965 (4.04Ghz)
Motherboard Asus Crosshair III
Cooling Air
Memory 4 gigs Mushkin 7-7-7-20@1T
Video Card(s) single 9800GT
Storage Raptor 150's in Raid0
Display(s) LG Flatron 24"
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) AuzenTech X-Raider W/OP637
Power Supply Custom modded Corsair 750HX
Software Win 7 64/Solaris Utility
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06--21963 so far
why was last gen the 200 series and this is 100 series?

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Because NVIDIA is screwed in the head. I can't name one thing they did right since 2008 (G80, 8 series GeForce).

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
Cooling Air
Case Custom
Because NVIDIA is screwed in the head. I can't name one thing they did right since 2008 (G80, 8 series GeForce).

9600GT was a BIG Right thing...(OMG, especially when they were like $39)

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
why was last gen the 200 series and this is 100 series?

GF100 is not a brand name. It's a GPU internal codename, which is irrelevant to the consumers anyway.

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
Cooling Air
Case Custom
thx, it seemed silly to be going backwards...

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
They named it that cause it costs 100 billion jiggawatts.

Benetanegia

And yet we come full circle as you are the one speculating after accusing me of speculating when asking a question :slap:. So in the end you really don't know yet you've argued about not knowing. My question was really geared to anyone out there they may come across some pricing information as the video card is suppose to be released in less then 2 months.

I didn't accuse you of speculating, I pointed out that speculating based on die size is always an error. Die probably represents less than 10% of the card's final price and that means they can play a lot with the final price depending on what they want to do with it. I mentioned volumes etc, because there's this missconception that a chip that is 50% bigger will cost 50% more to produce and to sell, etc, which is crap. There are far more considerations and that's why I mentioned one.

I've just been trying to explain why your question was not really relevant, but I'm going to answer your question based on my opinion (with no acces to any info except that I've been working on a ratailer in the past and I know how things work) so that you can see how vague the response to such a question is when we don't know anything and we are just assuming or determining how many dies per wafer they have. Answer: anything from $250 to $750. That's it. Happy?

Benetanegia

Sounds like what AMD was doing when they were getting spanked by Core 2 Duo/Quad. AMD kept crying "Phenom is coming," "Phenom is going to be great," and when it got here everyone except AMD was saying "Phenom is crap," "Phenom belongs in the bargin bin."

AMD was not in the situation that Nvidia is and has never been, regarding fame or company image. AMD always had good image, Nvidia doesn't and if they outrught lie about the performance they will not sell a card, they would sell less than what they would do if they said the truth. Plus GF100 not being much faster than Cypress is not going to happen. People just have to accept that performance wise it will be much faster.

It is not innovative to use a smaller process with more transistors to get more performance. It is innovative to streamline the processing power so better results are produced faster with few transistors.

That is still left to see. If the performance claims anywhere near being truth then, Fermi will just spank Cypress on that department too. 33% more transistors, if it's 60% then it's much much better.

Fermi also has one feature that completely destroys its potential as a consumer graphics card: ECC memory controllers. The GPGPU card will hit the market as a Tesla product. It will be some time before we see the consumer version without the ECC memory controllers. Doesn't that sound a lot like where Intel Larrabee is at right now?

Nonsense. ECC is not going to be used in the GPUs and doesn't affect performace at all when not in use. And what the hell are you talking about Tesla coming first? GF100 comes in March and Tesla will not come until late Q2.

I think there is a lesson to be learned from this: it is easier to put the GP in GPU than extrapolate the GPU out of a GPGPU card.

This shows you either didn't read Wizzard's article or you didn't understand it at all. And IMO it's definately the former since you are saying those things that are based on info from like July or September. This new article is showing that Fermi is indeed a GPU with all the letters. It's not just the GPGPU card that was claimed to be.

System Name 4k
Processor AMD 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MAG b550m Mortar Wifi
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x8Gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 bl8g36c16u4b.m8fe1
Video Card(s) Nvidia Reference 3080Ti
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) LG 48" C1
Case CORSAIR Carbide AIR 240 Micro-ATX
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar STX
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650W
Software Microsoft Windows10 Pro x64

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
That's correct, you need two cards to get the 3 display setup working.