• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA GeForce GF100 Architecture

Benetanegia

I'm saying there is conflicting information from different sources--wait and see what happens.

No, there's just one source in contradiction that is clearly based on the info presented on GTC* that is speculating on what was going to happen, because Nvidia at the time only presented the Fermi that the CUDA/OpenGL/Compute will see. CUDA/OpenGL/Compute run on an abstraction level that directly bypasses all the graphics and fixed function units and hence everybody thought Fermi wouldn't have them (so the GPGPU modded into GPU idea came from here). Well, it has them, and oh boy, sure it has them, it has 4 "full" pipelined ones.

*And I know it's based in the GTC info, because he is saying exactly the same that all the publications posted when they returned from GTC. It's almost a copy/paste in fact.

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
Ben, whats true in this?

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.

The very thing you've quoted does ask the question regarding price. I later elaborated on that statement by saying that I that I was hoping someone in the know could provide the information since the video card is do out in a few months. But if you don't know I don't hold it against you. The question wasn't directed towards you. However, it's apparent that my question has really upset you through your repeated arguing. However, we will see how they are priced soon enough though.

Benetanegia

Like I said, I responded what you asked and I'm not upset at all at the question. I only have a problem with how you react to the answer you were asking for. Erocker understood the answer perfectly, but you just never accept anything from me without arguing and pretending I have something against you or your comments. Once again, ask the right question and you will receive the right answer.

Right questions:

- Anyone knows something about the price?
- Is there any info on the price?

Answer to the right question:

- No idea.
- No idea, probably more expensive than Cypress.

Wrong question:

- What's going to be the price based on the die size this die that...

Answer to the wrong question;

- Street price will not be based on die size. + I was kind enough to explain why it's not based on die size alone.

Last edited:

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
That's a tad bit too petty. Anyway back at the ranch, I think the following would shed some light on the GF100:
-final clock frequency
-power draw
-heat, cooling and noise
along with what's already been discussed, possible SKUs (448 vs 512), as well as final price. Some things have been said about it in the presentation but there are other points of interest as well.

Last edited:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Wow, this is like my 2nd post?

I see a lot of petty arguements here.

FACT:
This is a lifting of the NDA but done very differently. There is no product yet. The boards are for PR only. In essence, what we have here is most definitely careful marketing to disrupt confidence in the ATI 5xxx series and deflect it to the 'monster on the horizon'.

Yes there is substantial info here but why show only certain things, such as a 'portion' of the DX11 bench? Why not the score over the entire engine? Is Charlie right in his assertion at semi-accurate that as tesselation is shared then when the GPU is processing other articles it will slow down. (i.e. an optimum benchmark example has been given).

Also, no power info. The card is power hungry. Charlie was wrong about why Fermi and Oak ridge aren't happening (it's political and green) but the power consumption of HPC's is an issue here. For ref, CD stated Fermi was too hungry for power to be used - not true according to sources at BSN*.

This card is late for some very worrying reasons. It was slated to hit the christmas market way back in Sept 09 but it has slipped worryingly far back. That directly infers either a defect in some process or it had to be reworked to better ATI's offering (or both).

To discuss now if the card is better than the HD 5xxx series is a moot point. Is it more powerful? - almost definitely. Is it faster than a HD 5870? - almost definitely true. Is it faster than a HD 5970? Unknown but probably by a small margin.
But what we also have to consider is it's heat output (it's a massive die), it's cooling solution (for noise comparisons) and most importantly, it's price. It's going to be more than a HD 5970 or be sold at a loss, surely.

And please folks, dont forget, this is an Nvidia marketing release. It's 100% biased in it's delivery. There will be many elements of GF 100 that aren't palatable but you'll not hear about it from NV. NO company undersells itself.

So, I say, accept that if it makes it to the light if day it'll be:
Very Powerful, Very hot, noisy and prohibitively expensive. And dont forget to use 3D vision on more than one screen you need more than one 120Hz monitor. Aston Martin make great cars.... but they're in chronic debt because not enough people buy them.

Watch this space.

D

Deleted member 67555

FACT:
This is a lifting of the NDA but done very differently. There is no product yet. The boards are for PR only. In essence, what we have here is most definitely careful marketing to disrupt confidence in the ATI 5xxx series and deflect it to the 'monster on the horizon'.

Yes there is substantial info here but why show only certain things, such as a 'portion' of the DX11 bench? Why not the score over the entire engine? Is Charlie right in his assertion at semi-accurate that as tesselation is shared then when the GPU is processing other articles it will slow down. (i.e. an optimum benchmark example has been given).

Also, no power info. The card is power hungry. Charlie was wrong about why Fermi and Oak ridge aren't happening (it's political and green) but the power consumption of HPC's is an issue here. For ref, CD stated Fermi was too hungry for power to be used - not true according to sources at BSN*.

This card is late for some very worrying reasons. It was slated to hit the christmas market way back in Sept 09 but it has slipped worryingly far back. That directly infers either a defect in some process or it had to be reworked to better ATI's offering (or both).

To discuss now if the card is better than the HD 5xxx series is a moot point. Is it more powerful? - almost definitely. Is it faster than a HD 5870? - almost definitely true. Is it faster than a HD 5970? Unknown but probably by a small margin.
But what we also have to consider is it's heat output (it's a massive die), it's cooling solution (for noise comparisons) and most importantly, it's price. It's going to be more than a HD 5970 or be sold at a loss, surely.

And please folks, dont forget, this is an Nvidia marketing release. It's 100% biased in it's delivery. There will be many elements of GF 100 that aren't palatable but you'll not hear about it from NV. NO company undersells itself.

Very Powerful, Very hot, noisy and prohibitively expensive. And dont forget to use 3D vision on more than one screen you need more than one 120Hz monitor. Aston Martin make great cars.... but they're in chronic debt because not enough people buy them.

Watch this space.
Nicely put;)

But they are still going to argue AND then once it's out they will War with each other:shadedshu

I just hope it's better than the Cypress for the Consumers sake an inferior card would lead to price gouging :banghead:

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5

FACT:

Watch this space.

Thasnks for ur observation, as ben didnt see my question

System Name Old Gateway
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz
Motherboard Gateway
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz
Case Gateway
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago)
Power Supply 380w oem
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC
The "G" Man to nVidia: "Prepare for unforeseen obstacles!"

Processor Xeon x5650
Motherboard SABERTOOTH X58
Cooling Fans
Memory 24 GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 1060 3GB
Storage small ssd
Display(s) Dell 2001F, BenQ short throw
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
Software Mint 19.3, Win 10
Benchmark Scores not so fast...
System Name Mean Machine
Processor Intel Core i5 2400 at 3.1 GHz
Motherboard Asus can't remember the model
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 103
Memory Kingston 4GB 1600 DDR3
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6850 1 GB
Storage WD Cavier SEII 3200AAKS 320 GB and Seagate 500 GB
Display(s) HP X22 LED
Case Generic
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Audigy
Power Supply Cooler Master Real Power Pro 650W
Software Pro/E, Delcam Powermill, These things just for work.
Lets wait and see what happens, til then we should keep our fingers crossed for real world benchmarks.

System Name Thakk
Processor i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Z170N ITX
Cooling H55 AIO
Memory 32GB DDR4 3100 c16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080 Trinity
Storage Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD / Intel 250GB SSD / Samsung Pro 512 SSD / 3TB Seagate SV32
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 100hz IPS Gsync / HTC Vive
Case QBX
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 > Creative Gigaworks T40 > AKG Q701
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Ducky Shine TKL MX Blue + Vortex PBT Doubleshots
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12108888
I bet you guys click that "System Specs" drop down arrow whenever you see an opimist / pessimist nvidia GF100 post :D

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Processor Intel Core i9 14900K
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z790-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 w/Thermalright Contact Frame
Memory 2x24GB Corsair DDR5 6667
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX4080 FE
Storage AORUS Gen4 7300 1TB + Western Digital SN750 500GB
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (QD-OLED, 3440x1440, 165hz)
Case Corsair Airflow 2000D
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
Software Windows 11 Professional
I bet you guys click that "System Specs" drop down arrow whenever you see an opimist / pessimist nvidia GF100 post :D

Then when you click on mine, see a HD4870X2 and then see me advocating waiting for Fermi, what do you think ? :D

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name RogueOne
Processor Xeon W9-3495x
Motherboard ASUS w790E Sage SE
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S DX-4677
Memory 128gb Gskill Zeta R5 DDR5 RDIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 2TB WD SN850X | 2x 8TB GAMMIX S70
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case Thermaltake Core P3 Pro Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-1600
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11 Pro Workstation
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Then when you click on mine, see a HD4870X2 and then see me advocating waiting for Fermi, what do you think ? :D

i then see the 9600 and 8600GT's and assume your one of the few people on these forums that actually dont play f@nb0|and understand the argument for both sides

nukemelamers

System Name nukemelamers
Processor Core2Quad Q8200 @2.33Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P5KPL/1600 ATX
Cooling Arctic Cooler Freezer Pro 7 rev.2, Silverstone FM123, Gelid Wing12, Silverstone FN121
Memory 2GB G-Skill DDR2-800 + 2GB Corsair DDR2-800
Video Card(s) XFX Nvidia 9600GT
Storage 500GB Seagate Barracuda + 1TB WD Caviar Black
Display(s) 19" ViewSonic VA1918wm
Case Silverstone Precision PS02
Power Supply Hyena 500w Dual Rail ATX PSU
Software Windows Vista Business SP2
fermi looks really good, better than tesla
but if the price too high, i might stick with ATI